Recycling material

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tzigi
Regular

Recycling material

Post by Tzigi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 am

It is something I have been wondering about since the beginning of Super and I still haven't seen it really discussed in depth (or actually discussed at all): recycling/reusing material. And I'm not talking about rehashing the same story - we all know that DBS is a retelling of BoG and will also include a retelling of FnF. What interests me is the possibility of reusing actual material. BoG and FnF were drawn, animated and so on some time ago. They are finished, they had probably undergone some quality checks - in short they are really well curated. Then we get DBS in which at least the BoG material isn't so well done. The SSJ3 Goku vs Beerus fight was a prime example of horrible drawings and quite poor animation. So my first question is: why do they waste time and money to re-animate something that has already been done? Even if the movie has a different aspect ratio or is in another way incompatible with TV format, it would be probably easier and cheaper to hire someone to draw just some additional background (still, I guess that even the original animation had to be at least a tiny bit cropped - but maybe not, I don't know really). The same holds true for other moments further ahead in Super - they are already done and are just waiting to be reused. Sure, some animation has to be changed: the change of place to a ship means that some establishing shots and panoramas have to be done from scratch etc. But why wasn't the rest reused?
I don't mean to criticize anything, I just want to know why did Toei bother creating all new animation for DBS when almost everything was already at hand. After all they reused the much older and much more jarring Buu saga fragments in the first episode

My second question concerns the manga and is a much more speculative one i.e. I don't know whether for now there is a definite answer to it. The DBS manga being yet another retelling of a retelling, it is also nearing a moment in the narration that Toyotaro has already covered. Current news seem to suggest skipping FnF altogether (or at least that is how I read it). So I wonder whether a hypothetical tankobon would include the 3 FnF chapters that have been published before that movie. The DBS anime treatment i.e. the lack of any (not counting the Buu saga snippet) recycling makes me think that the answer will be 'no' but then the tankobon wouldn't have any coherent narrative whatsoever - skipping huge events and so forth. And what do you think?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Recycling material

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:54 am

If the show was done the same way it exists now, I imagine it would be more expensive for them to replicate the movies exact look even with the assets at hand. Episodes 1 and 2 don't exist at all in the movie and new material in-between the already existing stuff would have to be done from scratch. I also think they didn't verbatim re-use footage because that'd be openly admitting how f*cking pointless this things existence is.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If the show was done the same way it exists now, I imagine it would be more expensive for them to replicate the movies exact look even with the assets at hand.
That's turning my point on its head :) I don't care whether they replicate the exact look or not. I was wondering if they could simply take the existing animation, recrop it if necessary and then add those parts that the extended narrative requires. Example: Goku SSJ3 vs Beerus. The fight was there in both versions. It happened pretty much the same way. Nothing was gained by having it redrawn and much was lost (especially Super's reputation). So why wasn't the animation reused?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Tzigi wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:If the show was done the same way it exists now, I imagine it would be more expensive for them to replicate the movies exact look even with the assets at hand.
That's turning my point on its head :) I don't care whether they replicate the exact look or not. I was wondering if they could simply take the existing animation, recrop it if necessary and then add those parts that the extended narrative requires. Example: Goku SSJ3 vs Beerus. The fight was there in both versions. It happened pretty much the same way. Nothing was gained by having it redrawn and much was lost (especially Super's reputation). So why wasn't the animation reused?
The only explanation that really comes to mind is that even Toei isn't so far up its own ass that they'd go with such a way of making the show. Enough people are already really bothered by the re-telling as is without entire scenes right from the movie version being put as well.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):