Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Super Episode 13 (04 October 2015)

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:That punch was super dramatic. It's really cool. lol. I still enjoy the hell out of DBZ fights. More so than a lot of modern Shonen stuff, so idk what to say. It's impossible to find over-the-top action like this elsewhere. =P
I enjoy Dragon Ball fights more than most other Shounens too, but that's because most of them are garbage.
lol. To be fair, does any other animated medium have over-the-top battles with beams, magic, exaggerated jumps, and so forth?
Did you mean 'medium' or demographic? Animation is a medium.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Did you mean 'medium' or demographic? Animation is a medium.
Oops. I meant to write demographic in regards to anime (shonen, seinen, etc).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:25 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: To be fair, the whole reason Dragon Ball Kai even became a thing was because of how badly the original DBZ anime aged in some areas.
This is business. It was because of money. Money speaks louder.
Dragon Ball is way more outdated than DBZ. Why they didn't bother with it so far?! Because Z sells way more.
Actually, Dragon Ball Kai was done to celebrate the 20 year anniversary from when DBZ first aired in Japan. And besides, there is no real distinction made between the original DB and Z in Japan, it's all just seen as Dragon Ball in Japan. And that's all it takes to make a product sell over their. The addition of "Z" has no real bearing.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Little late, but I think this episode looked very good and had the old DBZ feel to it and The new ending feels classic too, good job Toei

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Actually, Dragon Ball Kai was done to celebrate the 20 year anniversary from when DBZ first aired in Japan. And besides, there is no real distinction made between the original DB and Z in Japan, it's all just seen as Dragon Ball in Japan. And that's all it takes to make a product sell over their. The addition of "Z" has no real bearing.
You're thinking of the manga that has no distinction between DB and DBZ. DBZ Japan exists in that form, and its called Doragon Bōru Zetto.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:27 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: To be fair, the whole reason Dragon Ball Kai even became a thing was because of how badly the original DBZ anime aged in some areas.
This is business. It was because of money. Money speaks louder.
Dragon Ball is way more outdated than DBZ. Why they didn't bother with it so far?! Because Z sells way more.
Kai is made for the 20th anniversary of DBZ. Not to mention Kai was also made for the nostalgia factor for the people who grew up with DBZ in 1989 - 1996. Kai is a nostalgia trip for older audiences since it has the same old animation and the return of Shunsuke Kikuchi music. Kai is also made for kids who never grew up with the show since not everyone grew up in the 80's and 90's. A kid in Japan who is a 6 in 2009 probably never seen or heard of Dragon Ball until Kai.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:34 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Kai is a nostalgia trip for older audiences since it has the same old animation and the return of Shunsuke Kikuchi music.
Actually the addition of Kikuchi's music was accidental, not for nostalgia purposes. Kai originally had a new score by Kenji Yamamoto, but was later found to be plagiarism, so they had to hastily replace it with something else, and what better than something they already had at hand, Kikuchi's score. In my opinion they placed it really badly intending to be different than Z, so in many cases the music doesn't even match with the scenes. I'll always prefer the old DB and DBZ, even with the extremely slow pace.

SonsOfUlron21
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonsOfUlron21 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:46 am

Correct me if I'm wrong,but shouldn't the elder Kai be dead.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 am

SonsOfUlron21 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong,but shouldn't the elder Kai be dead.
No. He got wish back in the Buu saga later on.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
SonsOfUlron21 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong,but shouldn't the elder Kai be dead.
You just made that up I guess,

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:11 am

Friezacooler wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
You just made that up I guess,
No? It's right there in the series, from the wish to Porunga...

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:01 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:lol. To be fair, does any other animated medium have over-the-top battles with beams, magic, exaggerated jumps, and so forth?
Yes, Nanatsu no Taizai comes to mind, it has some pretty Dragon Ball-esque choreography. It is also one of my favorite Shounen series. Bleach comes to mind as well, but, like I said, most Shounen fights are garbage, and that includes Bleach. Anyway, this is off-topic now, I'll gladly continue it over PMs if you like.

Anyway, I think that in order for battles to start getting interesting again, each fighter must start to specialize in some aspect. Piccolo could be the strategist, Vegeta could form various different Ki techniques, Goku could specialize in raw strength, Gohan in speed, etc. If fights from now on continue to all be decided by battle powers, just like in Z and even DB to an extent, then it's gonna get boring soon.

FuriusMarius

Post by FuriusMarius » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:13 am

I really enjoyed the chapter, good drawing, good animation. I like more the Ssj God in Super than in BoG, the combat is better too. The only bad point is the combat music while Goku is in Super Saiyan... is just horrible... Same problem with opening, lacks power in the voice... if u put the song Hero over... is just better...

Check it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbDjhBsJmeA

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:lol. To be fair, does any other animated medium have over-the-top battles with beams, magic, exaggerated jumps, and so forth?
Yes, Nanatsu no Taizai comes to mind, it has some pretty Dragon Ball-esque choreography. It is also one of my favorite Shounen series. Bleach comes to mind as well, but, like I said, most Shounen fights are garbage, and that includes Bleach. Anyway, this is off-topic now, I'll gladly continue it over PMs if you like.
Oh, I meant non-Shonen cause you said most Shonen fights are garbage. =P
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Oh, I meant non-Shonen cause you said most Shonen fights are garbage. =P
Um, there are lots of Shoujo anime with magic battles and feats.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:35 pm

"Most shounen fights are garbage" is pretty pointless to say, given we're talking about hundreds of fights. Most of anything is going to be bad.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Most Shounen series have terrible fights, then. I guess that equates to the same thing in the long-run, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:Most Shounen series have terrible fights, then. I guess that equates to the same thing in the long-run, though.
There isn't much to learn from a conversation that doesn't specify the actual discussion.

Most water is salty, after all.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 pm

irreality wrote:
Um, there are lots of Shoujo anime with magic battles and feats.
I'm only familiar with Sailor Moon, tbh.

I only ask cause this sort of anime/manga puts its emphasis on battles since, well, it's for young boys. If most Shonen battles are garbage, what does that say about battles in non-Shonen anime stuff? What should the standard be?!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:56 pm

One Punch Man, both the manga and the one episode of the anime (as of yet), have terrific battle scenes. And its demographic is seinen. And yeah, there are some shoujo action series with pretty good action sequences as well. I'm not very acquainted with them, but Madoka Magica's fights were pretty great, as well as Precure's (but I can't vouch for this one, since my experience with the series comes from the gifs and webms posted on this very forum).