Who is your favorite character and why?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Who is your favorite character and why?

Post by Battousai » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:05 pm

1. Piccolo. A badass, clever, genious character with awesome moments in the series. He and Gohan have the best relationship in the whole series.
2. Tenshinhan. Strong, badass techniques, corageous, a true martial artist, a real companion you can rely.
3. Yamcha. Just an awesome arsenal of techniques. He's talented and funny, altough unlucky. Soukidan, Kamehameha, Roga Fu Fu Ken, how can anyone dislike Yamcha-sama ? He's awesome!
4. Future Trunks : Love his story and character.
5. Frieza: Easily, the best villan of the whole series altough King Piccolo comes close.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Battousai wrote:1. Piccolo. A badass, clever, genious character with awesome moments in the series. He and Gohan have the best relationship in the whole series.
2. Tenshinhan. Strong, badass techniques, corageous, a true martial artist, a real companion you can rely.
3. Yamcha. Just an awesome arsenal of techniques. He's talented and funny, altough unlucky. Soukidan, Kamehameha, Roga Fu Fu Ken, how can anyone dislike Yamcha-sama ? He's awesome!
5. Freeza: Easily, the best villan of the whole series altough King Piccolo comes close.
Tenshinhan would be in my top 7 if Chaozu didn't existed. :D
EDIT: He is in my top 7
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 pm

My favorite character is obviously Goku I mean Beerus :lol: but you already knew that :3
I like his BoG version more though, but still in Super is a good character with some traits that I liked here and there.... Overall I love him no matter what Super does to him, I will still have BoG and Xenoverse for my favorite moments of him and the reason why I like him the most.

-He's funny, charismatic and not that threatening even if he's the god of destruction. (I loved that in BoG)
-He's a cat and have cat antics at times :3
- The way everyone is frightened when he's close (specially the Kaios and Vegeta in BoG) while he's just cool and calm :thumbup:
- His seiyuu
- his way of speech... :mrgreen:

Other characters I like include:
- Vegeta: Although, Vegeta haven't amused me in Super (except maybe for the jumping the ship and cooking an octopus part :lol: ), I like him so much in the Namek arc and the Buu arc the best. I also liked him in BoG.
- Kaioshin: I like his design.
- Kid/Teen Gohan: he was adorable :3 (I still liked him in his adventures as the Great Saiyaman though...)
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Battousai
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Battousai » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:28 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Battousai wrote:1. Piccolo. A badass, clever, genious character with awesome moments in the series. He and Gohan have the best relationship in the whole series.
5. Freeza: Easily, the best villan of the whole series altough King Piccolo comes close.
Tenshinhan would be in my top 7 if Chaozu didn't existed. :D
I like Chaozu too, altough he has near to zero character development and let's admit it, he isn't the brightest fellow. He has a unique fighting style and we could see more of him. Well, let's hope he can kick some Frieza soldiers' ass in DBS.

Son Gohan 1995

Post by Son Gohan 1995 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:06 am

Hmm this is going to be difficult.

Dragonball: Son Goku, I love his innocence but also how he has that dark side to him. (Kiling mercilessly)

Dragon ball Z: Son Gohan up to the end of cell saga, he was always my favourite character from when I was a kid. Boo saga Gohan did have his moments aswell.

Kuririn: even though he is outclassed it doesn't stop him from helping his friends out, of course there have been moments where he backs out.

Piccolo: probably the smartest of the Z fighters and I love his relationship with Son Gohan.

Freeza: one of my favourite villains, I love how he has a polite manner of speaking, while be sadistic at the same time. I hated him in the dub though. :/

Super DBZ: Beerus. He's a somewhat interesting character I guess, can't say much when it comes to super.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Son Gohan 1995 wrote:Hmm this is going to be difficult.

Dragonball: Son Goku, I love his innocence but also how he has that dark side to him. (Kiling mercilessly)

Dragon ball Z: Son Gohan up to the end of cell saga, he was always my favourite character from when I was a kid. Boo saga Gohan did have his moments aswell.

Kuririn: even though he is outclassed it doesn't stop him from helping his friends out, of course there have been moments where he backs out.

Piccolo: probably the smartest of the Z fighters and I love his relationship with Son Gohan.

Freeza: one of my favourite villains, I love how he has a polite manner of speaking, while be sadistic at the same time. I hated him in the dub though. :/

Dragon Ball Super: Beerus. He's a somewhat interesting character I guess, can't say much when it comes to super.
Fixed that for ya. Seriously people it's 2015 and some people still call the series "dbz" which is bad enough, but some just flat change the title of GT and super?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Top 10!

#10 - Yamcha - A reliable player. Fills his role nicely and gets an extra bit of life thrusted into him via Tohru Furuya's performance. The Toriyama duality of his handsome appearance rendered useless by his fear of pretty women was humorous, and when that went away, you've got his constant punching-bag status to balance that pretty boy exterior. In the making of this list, I was sort of shocked he ended up here. "Wow, I guess I really like Yamcha," I says.

#9 - General Blue - Arguably the first credible threat in the series. Goku steamrolls through the Red Ribbon Army up until this point, and the Pilaf Gang are of course, the Pilaf Gang. He's got a surprisingly still-unique-for-DB ability in psychic paralysis, only hindered by the fact he's a human. His portion of the RR arc brings us slightly closer to the beginning of the series with Goku accompanied by two friends as they try to out-maneuver him, and he gets some hilarious bits in an extended Penguin Village cameo. He's also the original Freeza in that he's the biggest and longest enemy Goku had fought until that point, only to be silenced immediately by a mysterious newcomer.

#8 - Kame Sennin - He's great for all the obvious reasons. A wise old master that can't get his mind out of his pants, until the Piccolo Daimao arc where he does get serious, suffers one of the most tragic of deaths. Kouhei Miyauchi completely dominates this role.

#7 - Bulma - A prime example of Toriyama's ability to mine gold out of the unsavory -- his "poison" if you will -- is the bulk Bulma's early characterization. She gets relegated to the sidelines a little more than halfway through, but it was more or less natural with all the other twists and turns going on; nobody stood up and said "the girl" shouldn't be here. She's selfish and crude in a way that is endearing and not shrill or annoying. Her brotherly rapport with Goku is occasionally touched upon, but it's a bit one-sided, as we all know Goku's goal is the betterment of his skills; not building relationships. Her smarts allow her to offer non-fighting help to the warrior characters in an interesting and entertaining way that she's never a cheerleader.

#6 - Majin Buu - The (then)final villain of the series. The "standard rule" for battle manga of Dragon Ball's ilk is that the next enemy must be more threatening than the last, or the readers will lose interest. In terms of design, Buu does not comply to that rule, but he certainly does in ability. Toriyama's series fatigue barely shows with how much of a difficult time the Dragon Team has dealing with him(most of the fakeouts of his defeat work), and yet it's also very clear he's throwing everything at the wall just because fuck it, who cares anymore, I'm done. Here's a pink thing no one can beat. And lots of triangles.

#5 - Gotenks - Basically an extension of why I like Buu. The idea this character exists is ridiculous, but Toriyama is having fun. He and Piccolo make a marvelous comedy team.

#4 - Lunch - Maybe a better example of Toriyama not exactly being the most progressive writer in regards to women. She's the bait that must be used to convince Kame Sennin to train Goku and Kuririn, and once that's done she's content to just live at Kame House and be ogled. But it's all in good fun as blue-haired Lunch is completely oblivious to it and and blonde Lunch doesn't take guff from anybody. I would watch or read a series that was just about her easily. She kept the cast lively and colorful until for whatever reason, she had to go...

#3 - Tenshinhan - Goku's first true rival in a competitive sense, but it's funny that much like most of Goku's relationships, it's still kind of one-sided. A simple, cool design that carries just enough flair to be interesting("What's up with that third eye?" we all wondered before the Daizenshuu), and enough attitude to keep him detestable throughout his introductory arc... until he's forced to question everything he knows and every decision he's made as a warrior. That back-and-forth with Jackie Chun, and the hollow victory to the championship title, is about as good as Toriyama gets to internal struggles and philosophical musing. It continues directly into the Piccolo Daimao arc with similar satisfying results.

#2 - Son Goku - The rock of the story, unshakable and solid as the waves that are so many others splash against him and find their currents swiftly changing. A larger-than-life figure that can't really exist in the real world, but he is never insincere in what he wants and fights for, a sight to admire. You watch him grow and learn from childhood, and he remains a constant in the ever-revolving door of tones, characters, and art shifts Toriyama foists onto the series. I find it incredibly difficult not to smile afte every other thing he does or says.

#1 - Kuririn - The most relateable character in the series(his incredibly simplistic design plays some part in that; pretty easy to project some of yourself into a circle with some dots in it). He's a strategist among a battle-ready group that'll rush into a dangerous situation, and originated the series' more clever techniques with the Taiyou-ken and the Kienzan. His perversion is less of a joke than with characters like Kame Sennin or Oolong; he just doesn't want to get killed(again, or again) before he gets a girlfriend. He's a strong support piece and friend to Goku and it even stretches to Gohan when Goku takes more and more absences. Who doesn't like the guy you can pretty much always rely on to have your back, even when he's scared out of his mind(a good antithesis to a certain someone who'll just stand there with his mouth agape)?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:09 am

Top 10

1. Son Goku - Goku is my favorite character in the series. I love his childish personality and thirst for fighting. Also the fact that he's not a perfect protagonist and has a lot of selfish desires make me like him even more.

2. Vegeta - Vegeta is just great in DBZ. His personality, ruthlessness, techniques, and speeches make him #2 on my list.
#2 to Kakarrot.

3. Roshi - Seeing this dirty old man on screen just makes me happy. After watching Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z from start to finish in Japanese, I started to respect the character more.

4. Piccolo - He was a great villain and protagonist. I like his stern and serious nature and the way his friendship develops with Gohan. The Namekian warrior is a boss.

5. Gohan - I love how the son of Goku is completely different than he is. He doesn't care for fighting, wants to become a scholar, and has incredible outbursts when angry. Very relatable character.

6. Freeza - Hands down the best villain in the show. His polite nature, design, and heartlessness make him really entertaining. I love seeing him get his ass kicked.

7. Beerus - Beerus is an interesting one. He is neither evil nor good, and his lazy personality fits his cat-like appearance. I can't wait until the moment he finally loses a fight and freaks out.

8. Kuririn - Goku's best friend and an interesting character himself. He's usually portrayed as a coward but he always sticks around until the end. Another relatable character.

9. Bulma - Finally a female character! She's very smart, cute, and was here from the very beginning. She's built many inventions that have helped the Z-Fighters and even managed to tame Vegeta. She has a spot on my list for sure.

10. Tenshinhan - I loved the internal struggle he had during the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai and how he dealt with it. He didn't get to do much in Z but still had that epic shin kikoho moment as his last hurrah. I'm glad he's back and kicking ass in the ROF movie/arc.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 am

SON GOKU. :)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:28 am

I somehow failed to notice this, but RoF features all 7 of my favorite characters on the battlefield. Great stuff :D

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:51 am

1 - Vegeta. The most developed character of the serie and the most badass one. I just love his personality and his speeches.

2 - Future Trunks. He has the best entrance ever and I fucking love his backstory and everything about his future. His TV special is still to this day the thing I like the most of all DBZ and I have watched it a lot of times.

3 - Bardock. I'm in love with both TV specials and Bardock's one is as good as Trunks'. I love how both TV specials don't end well but hint that things will be better in the future and Bardock's final assault to Freeza always gave me chills.

These are my Top 3 but I obviously like a lot of characters and hate few. If I had to continue the list then I would include Goku, Gohan and Piccolo in this order.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:03 am

Goku and although his selfish motives are not very righteous but they do push and further his goals; himself and achieve success. Yes, letting Furiza live and letting him go at full power instead of leaving the planet may be controversial but I actually understand that.

But despite his selfishness, he is stated to be pure hearted and even if his actions aren't, I would consider him noble in his own unique way. I would say he does have good qualities like being a optimist and kind.

Goku does remind me of myself except I speak more formally and don't curse lol. Also, like Goku I'm a bit self centred but in a bad way but in a nomad way. 8) :D
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:25 am

Everyone here has legitimately good reasons for their favorite characters, and I'm sitting over here admiring this lovable idiot

Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327