Expected to like "adult" cartoons over DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Expected to like "adult" cartoons over DB?

Post by Ree » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:59 am

One thing that most of us never hear the end of is "youre too old to be watching those shows" -thankfully not on here! and yet the same people have no problem with shows like Family Guy, and the like.
Mr. Pickles in particular is juvenile, sure it has "adult" themes but that does not really make it "mature", it just throws shock humour at you until it is no longer shocking and it comes off as immature
This mentality bothers me to no end especially since they do not give DB a chance
You can like those shows and I won't judge. but when you turn around to praise adult shows that can be just as childish in some aspects then....yeah.
ALL adult cartoons are not like this but then not all kid cartoons are juvenile
Hopefully someone else can explain better than me but what I'm trying to say is some "kiddy" shows ironically come off as more mature than Family Guy and the like because they handle their themes better and do not try so hard to be shocking
Because of that DB should not be dismissed simply because it seems"childish"

(Relevant links)
(Insert any list of scariest moments in kids cartoons )
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZOZ5ZLlbQ
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaeriWMYlYM

Thoughts? agree, disagree?
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Expected to like "adult" cartoons over DB?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:29 pm

People were weird. They justify watching something they like because it has some curses and absurd adult situations. So what? Maybe the difference is that Family Guy is fart jokes and Dragon Ball is more of good vs evil. Good vs evil is only cool hen it's in a movie or on a TV show, not animated, huh?

Just don't pay these people any mind. It's not a bad thing to be in-touch with who you are. I was always nervous about revealing my love for Dragon Ball and wrestling to my girlfriend for fear of the same reaction. But it's ahrd to ignore it since I have all of this stuff in my room. Turns out that she could still watch Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Disney shows, and stuff. She couldn't really sit through Dragon Ball (though props, she did try for me and doesn't mind when it happens to be on), but still, no judgment. True love right here lol

The point is that there are a lot of people who think they need to be "grown up." But like I always say, does being an adult mean that I have to give up what I love? I am about to become a lawyer, I've been in a professional setting for work, and guess what, shocker, even though I like Dragon Ball it never got in the way of any of that. I know, it's some kind of miracle, isn't it? Just don't pay attention to these people. Let them watch their "adult" cartoons. Though I think that a lot of people like their childhood shows, whether they want to admit it or not.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:36 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:People were weird. They justify watching something they like because it has some curses and absurd adult situations. So what? Maybe the difference is that Family Guy is fart jokes and Dragon Ball is more of good vs evil. Good vs evil is only cool hen it's in a movie or on a TV show, not animated, huh?

Just don't pay these people any mind. It's not a bad thing to be in-touch with who you are. I was always nervous about revealing my love for Dragon Ball and wrestling to my girlfriend for fear of the same reaction. But it's ahrd to ignore it since I have all of this stuff in my room. Turns out that she could still watch Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Disney shows, and stuff. She couldn't really sit through Dragon Ball (though props, she did try for me and doesn't mind when it happens to be on), but still, no judgment. True love right here lol

The point is that there are a lot of people who think they need to be "grown up." But like I always say, does being an adult mean that I have to give up what I love? I am about to become a lawyer, I've been in a professional setting for work, and guess what, shocker, even though I like Dragon Ball it never got in the way of any of that. I know, it's some kind of miracle, isn't it? Just don't pay attention to these people. Let them watch their "adult" cartoons. Though I think that a lot of people like their childhood shows, whether they want to admit it or not.
This post was inspirational, lol

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm a university teacher, who just last night was at a bar holding a meeting with a couple of fraternity presidents, and the VP of Student Affairs at my university, and we were discussing Harry Potter and Pokemon over beer.

Once you get past that stupid High School "I've gotta do what everyone else does so I'll be cool" phase, for the most part, nobody cares what you do in your free time. Those that do are ignorant, close-minded idiots, and don't deserve your attention.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I had people tell me that why I still like DBZ in High School because people back then thought DBZ was just another fad that died out. I enjoy what I like.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Once you get past that stupid High School "I've gotta do what everyone else does so I'll be cool" phase, for the most part, nobody cares what you do in your free time. Those that do are ignorant, close-minded idiots, and don't deserve your attention.
High school times in a nutshell. I don't need to say anything more.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:21 pm

People still think that if it's for kids then it is bad. Not to mention with animation in the US, you can only do adult animation if it's a comedy. Besides Aeon Fux and Spawn, we don't have serious animation for adults. People in the US have the mindset if it's animated then it's for kids or it should be silly and stupid. Even The Boondocks, Archer, Rick & Morty and Venture Bros are comedy shows while they still take themselves seriously.

I'm surprise some people think all anime is for kids. I thought it was the other way around since I remember people would say that all anime is just mindless sex and violence. Growing up in the 90's, parents wanted anime like Angle Cop, Ninja Scroll, M.D. Geist, Fist of the North Star: The Movie, Urotsukidoji, Akira and LA Blue Girl banned from local rental stores to avoid kids from renting them and seeing the extreme violence, and nudity. People still think that today since I remember CNN did a report on it a while back (or was it another news channel).
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:24 pm

I also found this to be odd. Just a change in medium can be all the difference. For instance, many don't read comics, but lots more will watch the TV shows or movies. Comics are childish and movies are more adult, apparently.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:27 pm

ABED wrote:I also found this to be odd. Just a change in medium can be all the difference. For instance, many don't read comics, but lots more will watch the TV shows or movies. Comics are childish and movies are more adult, apparently.
I think it's also somewhat of a generational thing. I've worked with numerous people in their 60's-70's who still read comics because that's what they grew up with, while their children, who are in their 30's and 40's would rather watch movies, because they are "more mature," which seems to be a code word for "what we grew up with."
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:32 pm

In High School, teachers I know would always be like that comics are not real books and are just mindless junk. People should be reading real book instead.
She/Her

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:33 pm

When I went to see it in cinema it was almost exclusively adults. I'm 25 and was by no means the oldest there far from it. There were a handful of kids.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Dragonball Z is associated with kids because it was an anime from the late 90's in the U.S. around the time Pokemon was incredibly popular.

A fully grown adult watching a show about spiky haired anime characters shooting energy blasts at each other is bound to be look down upon by "sophisticated adults." In case most of you don't know, most adults nowadays do not watch either cartoons or anime, and if they play videogames its just Call of Duty and Madden...and not anything else.

The only acceptable pop-culture fandoms is Star Wars and Star Trek, as well as DC and Marvel superheroes. That's why adults can talk about how excited they are to see the new Star Wars movie or the new Batman film...but not anime/cartoons.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:54 pm

The only acceptable pop-culture fandoms is Star Wars and Star Trek, as well as DC and Marvel superheroes. That's why adults can talk about how excited they are to see the new Star Wars movie or the new Batman film...but not anime/cartoons.
I would put sports in the same category. The enthusiasm and behaviors aren't that different, but one is more socially acceptable.
if they play videogames its just Call of Duty and Madden...and not anything else.
What about Halo?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:01 pm

precita wrote:Dragonball Z is associated with kids because it was an anime from the late 90's in the U.S. around the time Pokemon was incredibly popular.

A fully grown adult watching a show about spiky haired anime characters shooting energy blasts at each other is bound to be look down upon by "sophisticated adults." In case most of you don't know, most adults nowadays do not watch either cartoons or anime, and if they play videogames its just Call of Duty and Madden...and not anything else.

Only asking because it relates to this topic, but would you mind saying how old you are? Because this is exactly the high-school mentality I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Being a working adult myself, and spending every day surrounded by other working adults, most of us don't care what other people do in their free time, unless it's a particularly juicy piece of gossip. The head of my department looks forward to watching Rugrats reruns with her grandchildren because she thinks the show is "delightful." I've gotten three senior History professors to join in on monthly Smash Brothers tournaments I hold for the residents on my campus. One of them's even pretty good at it. A janitor I see in the elevator every day has an ongoing conversation with me about some show called "Freakazoid," which I seem to remember being on Cartoon Network, but I have never watched myself. My father still collects Transformers memorabilia. I could go on, but I don't think I need to.

Stop using "adults" as a generalization. Any group of people eventually comes down to the individuals in that group, and each individual person has something from their childhood that they like. Those that don't, well, I pity that sad, sad minority.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Double Posting because I want this to stand out, as it sums up my thoughts on this matter entirely.
People who like football are people who obsess over something others find very very boring. They archive all the stats and players and scores in their memory, keep up with all the updates, put posters of their favorite personalities on their walls, go to places where there are large congregations of people who also obsess over the very boring thing, and they even buy the shirts that their favorite personalities wear so that they can dress like them. "Cosplay," if you will. There's a word for this, and that word is "nerd."

I'm not judging. We're all nerds here. I would argue virtually everyone is. After all, what is a nerd? It's someone who has a passion for something. There are gaming nerds, and music nerds, and TV nerds, and train nerds, and yes, there are sports nerds. Let's stop all this nerd-on-nerd judgmentalism, alright? And pity that tragic minority of people who aren't nerds. People for whom there is nothing that provokes any passionate interest. Who regard all things with folded arms and an aloof sneer. What sad, empty, friendless lives they must lead.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:06 pm

"Freakazoid," which I seem to remember being on Cartoon Network
It did, but it first aired on Kids' WB back in the late 90s right around the time Batman and Superman the animated series did.
they even buy the shirts that their favorite personalities wear so that they can dress like them. "Cosplay," if you will
Let's not forget that many of them brave the elements to root for their team. Some will even go as far as covering their upper body in paint and not wear shirts even during the winter.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm

I do notice that Pokemon is still view to be cool with some adults. I notice that some adults still like Pokemon, but still look down on stuff like Power Rangers as silly and stupid.
She/Her

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I do notice that Pokemon is still view to be cool with some adults. I notice that some adults still like Pokemon, but still look down on stuff like Power Rangers as silly and stupid.
Well, PR is silly and stupid, but I still enjoy it.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:39 pm

I ran into this on YT though it was ironically from a DB fan asking me how I could possibly watch or read or enjoy stuff like Superman without feeling embarrassed for reading western comics or any adaptation of the same material. It mostly came from a notion where Dragon Ball wasthe smart and adult show while superheroes are just a bunch of dudes in skin tight suits beating each other up or half naked women doing much of the same (his words not mine).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Only asking because it relates to this topic, but would you mind saying how old you are? Because this is exactly the high-school mentality I mentioned earlier in the thread.
top using "adults" as a generalization. Any group of people eventually comes down to the individuals in that group, and each individual person has something from their childhood that they like. Those that don't, well, I pity that sad, sad minority.
I'm 29. Most adults don't watch cartoons. Some watch cartoons with their kids if they have children, but not for themselves.

Seriously, telling co-workers you still watch cartoons or other kid-related stuff on your own and you get weird looks with people wondering if there's something wrong with you. I'll say it again, the only acceptable pop-culture stuff is Star Wars, Star Trek, or DC and Marvel superheroes. That and the Fox comedies like Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.

Especially if you work at a high paying job where a lot of well educated people are. There are people in their 30's who if you said you watch shows aimed at kids you're scoffed at. They just watch sports or things along those lines.