Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 12; Still Unreleased

Post by NitroEX » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:54 pm

I was watching the stream as well. Unfortunately, it seemed to crash right when they answered my first question about Peter and Ian not being asked to audition for Kai. All I could gather was something at the end of the answer about actors being unavailable so it didn't sound like they recalled anything specific, but hopefully someone caught the full answer.

Here are some extra things I noted amongst the sea of non-DB-related stuff:
  • (For Westwood/Ocean Z) the pronunciation of Dr. Gero (Gyro) was something Brian Dobson disagreed with the (then) director on. He also curiously mentioned the name "Bev"(?).
    According to him he always wanted the Jero pronunciation but couldn't get his way.
  • Karl then spoke about how a project coordinator will often have a pronunciation guide directly from the producer, and sometimes they have to inform the producer that they've used a different pronunciation a number of times already and push them not to change it.
  • Paul Dobson's Dr. Kochin was cast because everyone found the laugh he created very amusing.
  • Barry Watson was apparently fluent in spanish which explains a little bit about Funi acquiring Mexican materials. Karl even mentions remembering going on a trip to Mexico with Barry and another engineer. Terry Klassen has also mentioned trips with Barry which is interesting.
  • (Not sure if Z or Kai but..) Karl fondly remembers directing Don Brown (King Kai) training Goku on his planet.
  • When asked if the Z scripts were based on a direct translation, Karl says that mostly yes but then it's rewritten for 'fit' (mouth flaps) but also sometimes for broadcast (standards and practices).
    Note: The fan asking didn't specify which part of Z (Saban/Funi, Pioneer or later Ocean)
  • Brian Dobson mentions that he "used to be one of those guys" and says he used to write for Dragon Ball (not exactly sure which he was referring to here, but he mentions a VHS machine so probably either DB or Z...) as a "script tweaker" which seems to be a job that involved rewriting dialogue to fit, and sometimes rewriting story itself to make dialogue make sense.
  • About how much of Z Karl directed: He said "most of the ones at Ocean" meaning he probably wasn't involved in the Westwood stuff.
  • About how much of Kai Karl directed: He said he "directed all of the Kai that was at Ocean"
  • Karl had assumed Kai was released and was surprised to find out it hadn't. He did also say that (in regards to the quality) Kai was "freakin' awesome"
  • Karl said there was a couple of new castings that had to happen "for availability and what not" that were "kind of amazing".
  • When asked about characters they'd like to return to voice: Brian Dobson mentioned Dr. Gero as one of them indicating he didn't get to reprise. This may have been revealed before but I don't recall where at this time.
  • Karl said that Brian Drummond was insistent on keeping 'Over 9000' because "that was popular" but the producers wanted the more accurate 8000.
  • Karl couldn't recall who did Bardock but he doesn't think it was Kirby.
  • When asked if translations are done by Toei or in-house Karl responded that they were done in-house but with client approval. "Almost always the case" he says. Although he was then unsure if Funimation wrote their own scripts (thinking back to Saban dub) so he may have been referring to his translation process for Pioneer Z and Kai.
  • Karl said he'll talk to the casting people to find out who played Krillin and Trunks
  • Karl would love to dub DB Super but it isn't for him to decide. Says he misses that universe.
  • Karl doesn't seem to prioritize voice matches, instead prefers believability of the voice and performance to be the focus of a casting.
  • Regarding the "beefed up" sound effects/M&E tracks: Karl says that it's sometimes requested for older shows that are going to be broadcast because the old sounds either don't hold up to modern broadcast standards or compete with other contemporary shows. However, sometimes they want the opposite and prefer it to sound close to the original, so it depends on the producers.
Oh, and Dragon Ball Ireland, some of your notes are different from mine. I'll jot those down below.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:54 pm I was watching the stream as well. Unfortunately, it seemed to crash right when they answered my first question about Peter and Ian not being asked to audition for Kai. All I could gather was something at the end of the answer about actors being unavailable so it didn't sound like they recalled anything specific, but hopefully someone caught the full answer.

I got the impression they thought the question was about Z, because for Peter we know he was busy with comedy and prelay animation in Los Angeles at the time, and Ian had of course stopped working for Ocean due to the pay disputes.
  • When asked about characters they'd like to return to voice: Brian Dobson mentioned Dr. Gero as one of them indicating he didn't get to reprise. This may have been revealed before but I don't recall where at this time.

That's correct, Brian Dobson did confirm at Kamehacon this year he was cast in some minor roles for Kai, but didn't reprise his role as Dr. Gero.
  • Karl said he'll talk to the casting people to find out who played Krillin and Trunks

That's good, always appreciate when these people are willing to go the extra mile to ask for fans like us.
  • Regarding the "beefed up" sound effects/M&E tracks: Karl says that it's sometimes requested for older shows that are going to be broadcast because the old sounds either don't hold up to modern broadcast standards or compete with other contemporary shows. However, sometimes they want the opposite and prefer it to sound close to the original, so it depends on the producers.

Yeah, the different perspectives are fascinating. Of course this is art (or "AD Art" as they joked) so it's always welcome.
[*] Karl Willems directed most of the Westwood dub
NitroEX wrote:No, he only mentioned directing the stuff at Ocean.

Fair enough, honestly looking back I probably could have phrased it better like "How much of the Dragon Ball Z dub did you direct at Airwave Sound?". I just thought because the actors, when talking about the later Z dub always default to Ocean that that's the venue they associate it with, even though Ocean wasn't the recording studio where the actors delivered their lines.

On that note did you catch what Saffron Henderson was saying about how the first episode of Dragon Ball was her favourite and it was redone at Ocean? That part confused me. The thought crossed my mind could she have been referring to an unreleased pilot of that episode Ocean produced to pitch to YTV in case they wanted to air the original alongside Z, although then I thought maybe I was looking too much into it. Granted we know there was at least two versions of that episode, the first being Funimation's pilot dub, which uses the name "Zero" for Goku, and then the second (which Saffron may have been referring to as the redone version) being the BLT dub we know, although the only thing that raises questions about that is Ocean were not involved with either of those two dubs, which were recorded at Dick & Rodgers (or at least the latter was). It's also not unheard of for Ocean and Blue Water to be recording separate versions of the same show, at least at the pilot stage, as we know they each recorded a pilot for One Piece.

Still, always nice to hear from the actors and for the first time I'm aware of the great Karl Willems :D.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:48 pm

I came across an old interview with Gen Fukunaga where he said that they originally had another voice actor in mind when casting Vegeta, but that voice actor was extremely busy, so Drummond got the part.

Fukunaga even wanted to replace Drummond with another actor once they got to the Namek arc.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:48 pm I came across an old interview with Gen Fukunaga where he said that they originally had another voice actor in mind when casting Vegeta, but that voice actor was extremely busy, so Drummond got the part.

Fukunaga even wanted to replace Drummond with another actor once they got to the Namek arc.
Has Gen Fukunaga ever made a sound decision?

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:59 pm

With all due respect.

If this Ocean Dub Kai ever get released, how much buzz would it get? Would it just be a small audience? Do people even care about Kai anymore in the modern DB era? It sucks for the Ocean Team to put in the work only for it to be unreleased but is it even worth fighting for anymore? Also if they dubbed this 12 years ago, has there ever been leaked clips or audio? I recall the intro being released but that's it.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:21 pm

ATA wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:59 pm With all due respect.

If this Ocean Dub Kai ever get released, how much buzz would it get? Would it just be a small audience? Do people even care about Kai anymore in the modern DB era? It sucks for the Ocean Team to put in the work only for it to be unreleased but is it even worth fighting for anymore? Also if they dubbed this 12 years ago, has there ever been leaked clips or audio? I recall the intro being released but that's it.
This thread has 371 pages of people dedicated for years to seeing it; I'm sure there are many others outside of this thread who'd be happy about it as well. And even if it only attracts a small following compared to other Dragon Ball releases, it'd still be worth fighting for just for the availability of the hard work of all the talented people who worked on it.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm On that note did you catch what Saffron Henderson was saying about how the first episode of Dragon Ball was her favourite and it was redone at Ocean? That part confused me.
This is something that Saffron has brought up before, she mentioned it to a friend of mine who met her at a convention. He was surprised that she recognized Mercenary Tao and after discussing it she revealed that she had apparently dubbed more Dragon Ball at Ocean years ago but it's unclear if she's misremembering that detail or if it's, in fact, another unreleased dub. She seems to believe it's true but she's also the first and only actor to speak about it so it's tough to say. I doubt we'll ever really know for sure so for now I personally won't get too invested in that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm

NitroEX wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:49 pm On that note did you catch what Saffron Henderson was saying about how the first episode of Dragon Ball was her favourite and it was redone at Ocean? That part confused me.
This is something that Saffron has brought up before, she mentioned it to a friend of mine who met her at a convention. He was surprised that she recognized Mercenary Tao and after discussing it she revealed that she had apparently dubbed more Dragon Ball at Ocean years ago but it's unclear if she's misremembering that detail or if it's, in fact, another unreleased dub. She seems to believe it's true but she's also the first and only actor to speak about it so it's tough to say. I doubt we'll ever really know for sure so for now I personally won't get too invested in that.
There was that flashback during the Android saga of Z that showed Tao. Saffron was still voicing Gohan at the time, so perhaps she just remembered that episode.

I'd find it hard to believe the BLT dub reached the Tao stuff in DB, although them dubbing Mystical Adventure is slightly more believable as they did do Curse of the Blood Rubbies.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:23 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm There was that flashback during the Android saga of Z that showed Tao. Saffron was still voicing Gohan at the time, so perhaps she just remembered that episode.
I'm aware, but Kelamis dubbed them instead of her and when questioned if it was a flashback she didn't seem to think it was so make of it what you will.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:38 am

ATA wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:59 pm With all due respect.

Unfortunately a lot of people won't care until they see it, as many fans have made peace with believing Ocean Kai will never be released. The Ocean cast are beloved amongst this fandom, largely for their work on the Pioneer movies and how well they performed such corny lines in the Saban dub, so I'm sure if Kai is ever released a lot of fans will be willing to give their work on it a chance, even if it just means a redemption for the Westwood dub (which I don't think is terrible, but many people do). I for one will never stop fighting for Ocean Kai. Its 98 episodes of dedication put in by voice actors, directors, engineers, musicians, etc that should not go to waste.

Speaking of which, it hasn't been well documented but I have recently learned that the Westwood dub also aired in Finland and Belgium on SubTV and Kanaal 2 respectively. The former is now known as Sub, and I don't know how to reach out to them, but the latter, now known as VTM 2 can be contacted here so while nothing's a guarantee it wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email requesting Ocean Kai as it wouldn't be the first time they aired any Dragon Ball with the Vancouver cast.
NitroEX wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 pm This is something that Saffron has brought up before, she mentioned it to a friend of mine who met her at a convention. He was surprised that she recognized Mercenary Tao and after discussing it she revealed that she had apparently dubbed more Dragon Ball at Ocean years ago but it's unclear if she's misremembering that detail or if it's, in fact, another unreleased dub. She seems to believe it's true but she's also the first and only actor to speak about it so it's tough to say. I doubt we'll ever really know for sure so for now I personally won't get too invested in that.
No one knew about the pilot dub of Dead Zone where Garlic Junior is referred to as Vendar either, until about 5 years ago. That likely features some, if not most of the same actors we heard in the Pioneer version, although none of them have talked about it, so it's not impossible that there's more unreleased Dragon Ball dubs out there that we are unaware of. On that note I should say that I've heard there are certain individuals out there who have a copy of this dub, but my source apparently can't reveal anything because if he does it will end up fetching ridiculous money on the second hand market like the Zero test dub did.
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm There was that flashback during the Android saga of Z that showed Tao. Saffron was still voicing Gohan at the time, so perhaps she just remembered that episode.
From what we know pre-production was completed for 26 episodes of the BLT dub, but only 13 were recorded, so yeah they didn't reach anything with Mercenary Tao. It wouldn't have been a flashback though, because the adult Goku actors always played the child versions in the Westwood dub's flashbacks to Dragon Ball, in this case it was Peter Kelamis who played him.

Tao's cameo during the Cell arc when he meets Gohan is probably how Saffron knows about him though, as she would have been in the booth recording as Gohan during the scene where Tao freaks out realising he is Goku's son.
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:00 pm I'd find it hard to believe the BLT dub reached the Tao stuff in DB, although them dubbing Mystical Adventure is slightly more believable as they did do Curse of the Blood Rubbies.
Harmony Gold also dubbed Mystical Adventure so they would have also had a script to work off of, with some tweeks of course, as was the case with the BLT redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies. The only problem with movie 3 being what Saffron referred to is that she was talking about episode 1 specifically being redone at Ocean, and as I said, Ocean were not involved in any capacity during the BLT era. They of course were in the Westwood era, because Westwood Media was Ocean's production arm, hence a lot of the actors attribute that dub to Ocean. Although apparently a small amount of the Westwood dub was actually recorded at Ocean, so I say its not impossible a pilot was done at that time to pitch original Dragon Ball to YTV when Ocean started receiving the French dub materials from AB.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:38 am

Tao's cameo during the Cell arc when he meets Gohan is probably how Saffron knows about him though, as she would have been in the booth recording as Gohan during the scene where Tao freaks out realising he is Goku's son.

Hadn't Jillian Michaels taken over the role by this point?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:58 am

TheQuazz wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 amHadn't Jillian Michaels taken over the role by this point?
Just thinking back now, but yes she did. Saffron Henderson's last time playing Gohan before Kai was the episode the Cell Games were announced, which would have been before Tao appeared. Although Saffron did provide some additional voices in the Boo arc, so maybe she did catch a few episodes as they were airing on YTV to be up to date by the time she was needed again.

Another question that was answered before the end of the stream, in relation to how the fans can help get Ocean Kai released was for fans to keep talking about it, which echoes what Diana Gage said. So I say we keep the dream alive, because as long as we show there's a demand for this dub (and as has been mentioned the length of this thread speaks for itself) there's always the chance it will be seen.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:57 am

Saffron was not voicing Gohan when Tao showed up in Z filler. He looks different in those scenes anyway and it makes no sense for her to have been shown scenes she would not be dubbing.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:38 am Harmony Gold also dubbed Mystical Adventure so they would have also had a script to work off of, with some tweeks of course, as was the case with the BLT redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies. The only problem with movie 3 being what Saffron referred to is that she was talking about episode 1 specifically being redone at Ocean, and as I said, Ocean were not involved in any capacity during the BLT era. They of course were in the Westwood era, because Westwood Media was Ocean's production arm, hence a lot of the actors attribute that dub to Ocean. Although apparently a small amount of the Westwood dub was actually recorded at Ocean, so I say its not impossible a pilot was done at that time to pitch original Dragon Ball to YTV when Ocean started receiving the French dub materials from AB.
Regarding Westwood. All evidence points to it being a recording studio that Ocean outsourced anime work to when their main studio was fully booked. The same goes for Airwaves.

I know Dark Vegeta-Sama has said they were a producer of the dub but there's really no evidence for this. It seems to be a misconception as Ocean was always behind producing it and doing the editing for it.

I also recall this post helping clear up the Westwood confusion:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:31 pm That Labour board document implies Westwood Media and Ocean were independent companies. That email is from Westwood and they're complaining that they've lost work because of the union's behaviour. If Westwood was part of Ocean, that money would just be going to a different arm. It would be really strange for them to complain in the first place. The decision to move production to Calgary would've been theirs to make. Also telling is the contact info on that note. Ocean and Blue Water's shell companies are usually registered to the same building. Westwood was in a different part of Vancouver.
I once thought they were the same company as GGRP sound due to sharing the same address, but this doesn't seem to be the case either, they were just in the same building. GGRP was only referenced (and only tweeted about) recording songs for Dragon Ball, Saffron also mentioned the DB song being recorded there during the stream. GGRP remains open while Westwood appears to no longer be around. At any rate, Ocean switched to using Blue Water which is a studio they do own and was one reason I had initially assumed Westwood was owned by them as well.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:38 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:58 am
TheQuazz wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 amHadn't Jillian Michaels taken over the role by this point?
Just thinking back now, but yes she did. Saffron Henderson's last time playing Gohan before Kai was the episode the Cell Games were announced, which would have been before Tao appeared. Although Saffron did provide some additional voices in the Boo arc, so maybe she did catch a few episodes as they were airing on YTV to be up to date by the time she was needed again.
I actually meant the earlier episode were Roshi tells Maron the history of the RRA, and it flashes back to Goku fighting Tao. It's the episode where Goku is fighting Android 19. Saffron voices Gohan during this episode, so it's possible she'd seen the whole episode including the flashback.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 am

NitroEX wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:57 amRegarding Westwood. All evidence points to it being a recording studio that Ocean outsourced anime work to when their main studio was fully booked. The same goes for Airwaves.

I know Dark Vegeta-Sama has said they were a producer of the dub but there's really no evidence for this. It seems to be a misconception as Ocean was always behind producing it and doing the editing for it.
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what Westwood was. As I recall Brian Drummond said in his interview with Marcanine that Ocean and Westwood were pretty much the same company, although understandably he's just an actor and isn't given the full details on things like this.

It would make sense that Ocean produced the later Z dub themselves because they acted as a local producer for the show when Funimation's dub began airing in Canada, and even created their own cut of it exclusively for YTV. The credits for the Blue Water dubs of both original Dragon Ball and GT also say:

"Produced in association with: The Ocean Group, Canada"

Also, worth noting neither of those two dubs were intended to be any different from Z production-wise, as both were going to be dubbed in Vancouver originally. Dennis Hrehoriac would likely know the answer to Z as he produced both Blue Water dubs, and likely Kai too, as he was credited for the edit of Funimation's dub seen on Nicktoons.

The only problem with this theory is when news about Ocean Kai first leaked Kirby Morrow said a new company was in charge of it, and Diana Gage confirmed Ocean produced it. Although maybe because Kirby spent so much time recording at Airwaves for Z he had mistaken them for being the company behind it and not Westwood?
NitroEX wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:57 amI once thought they were the same company as GGRP sound due to sharing the same address, but this doesn't seem to be the case either, they were just in the same building. GGRP was only referenced (and only tweeted about) recording songs for Dragon Ball, Saffron also mentioned the DB song being recorded there during the stream. GGRP remains open while Westwood appears to no longer be around. At any rate, Ocean switched to using Blue Water which is a studio they do own and was one reason I had initially assumed Westwood was owned by them as well.
I can confirm GGRP Sound had no relation to Westwood other than sharing the same address as I emailed the studio director recently. Unfortunately while I did ask were Westwood a recording facility or a production company the person in charge of GGRP Sound didn't know, although she was in her position since 2002 when the Z dub was being recorded, so I guess Westwood always had a low profile.
90sDBZ wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:38 am I actually meant the earlier episode were Roshi tells Maron the history of the RRA, and it flashes back to Goku fighting Tao. It's the episode where Goku is fighting Android 19. Saffron voices Gohan during this episode, so it's possible she'd seen the whole episode including the flashback.
Fair enough, that would explain her familiarity with the character.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 am The only problem with this theory is when news about Ocean Kai first leaked Kirby Morrow said a new company was in charge of it, and Diana Gage confirmed Ocean produced it. Although maybe because Kirby spent so much time recording at Airwaves for Z he had mistaken them for being the company behind it and not Westwood?
Kirby was most likely talking about the new producers (the ones who made various changes like the Namek pronunciation and changing "over 9000" to "over 8000"). He mentioned Ocean studios when talking about the dub initially so I don't think he was referring to Ocean as the new company, just the studio it was being recorded at.

According to someone on BTVA forums Kirby had listed Westwood on his resume for DBZ while other actors listed Airwaves. Actors can be mistaken though or just not be properly informed of who is in charge of what. All other evidence points to Ocean putting together the dub and Westwood or Airwaves just being a recording location. This is how it was for other dubs like Gundam Wing, and Speaking of which, that series had a unique occurrence with the credits that feels relevant.

The YTV broadcasts state the following:
English Adaptation by
BEI

Talent Administration
Westwood Media Inc.

Recorded at
Westwood Media Inc.
while the Cartoon Network/Toonami credits state:
English Adaptation Produced
by
BEI
in
Association with
The Ocean Group
I'm willing to bet DBZ was organized in a similar way and "in association with The Ocean Group" hints that Ocean was above Westwood in the chain of command, but they just weren't the place physical recording took place.
Fair enough, that would explain her familiarity with the character.
It really doesn't. They wouldn't scrub through the whole episodes looking for scenes to dub, they have everything cued up and ready for the actor before they begin (unless it's a miscellaneous character they need her to voice). They'd have no reason to show her the Tao scenes if Kelamis was scheduled to dub them, or if he had already done so. Gohan was not in those scenes, nor do I think it would leave an impression on her enough to remember the character.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:56 pm

I was thinking more along the lines that she'd seen the episode itself after it was fully dubbed. I know some of the VAs say they only heard their own recordings, but it's not unthinkable that some got to see the finished product.

Unless they actually did dub Mystical Adventure and never released it. It is strange though, as Curse of the Blood Rubbies was actually released.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:54 pm

Any clip of what Richard Ian cox’s goku sounded like we heard this Kai’s freeza but i don’t know about the goku voice.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 13; Still Unreleased

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:19 am

Sadly we don't have anything for Richard Ian Cox as Goku. He's been very reluctant to talk about the role, maybe because Ocean insisted on him signing stricter NDAs for playing the main character. Until we see this dub the best we can do is listen to Richard's other performances and imagine how that voice would sound as Goku.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 13; Still Unreleased

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:12 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:19 am Sadly we don't have anything for Richard Ian Cox as Goku. He's been very reluctant to talk about the role, maybe because Ocean insisted on him signing stricter NDAs for playing the main character. Until we see this dub the best we can do is listen to Richard's other performances and imagine how that voice would sound as Goku.
Why weren’t the others as strict?