Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 12; Still Unreleased

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:11 pm [*] Barry Watson was at the last Kamehacon
Funny, during Kamehacon 2022, I was telling somebody that it would be crazy if they somehow invited Barry Watson

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 13; Still Unreleased

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:11 pm [*] Barry Watson was at the last Kamehacon
Funny, during Kamehacon 2022, I was telling somebody that it would be crazy if they somehow invited Barry Watson
The good or bad kind of crazy?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:50 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 pm
The good or bad kind of crazy?
Just crazy, cause outside of some mentions and old interviews, we know nothing else.

It would interesting to ask him about Funimation's early days...

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm

I'll try and tune in to the next stream that Brian, Saffron and Karl do and see if I can chime in with "here's what we know so far and here's what we'd like to know"

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:08 pm

Kirbopher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm I'll try and tune in to the next stream that Brian, Saffron and Karl do and see if I can chime in with "here's what we know so far and here's what we'd like to know"
Instagram: anime.time.machine

Jan 29th 11AM PST
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:46 am

SX10 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:08 pm
Kirbopher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm I'll try and tune in to the next stream that Brian, Saffron and Karl do and see if I can chime in with "here's what we know so far and here's what we'd like to know"
Instagram: anime.time.machine

Jan 29th 11AM PST
Oh wow, this is happening again? Nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last stream and am quite excited for the next one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:31 am

Kirbopher said at the BTVA forum that he has personally met the voice actress who voiced Bulma in Kai, and it's not any of the actresses who previously voiced her.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:36 am

Yeah; I mentioned it here first, several years ago now. I've been updating folks with virtually everything I know.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:36 pm

One thing recently discovered by the BTVA guys is that Willow Johnson voiced Android 18 at some point in the Westwood dub. Most people know her for being the voice of Kikyo in the Ocean dub of Inuyasha.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv ... ndroid-18/

Not gonna lie, she sounds pretty good in the part.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:36 pm One thing recently discovered by the BTVA guys is that Willow Johnson voiced Android 18 at some point in the Westwood dub. Most people know her for being the voice of Kikyo in the Ocean dub of Inuyasha.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv ... ndroid-18/

Not gonna lie, she sounds pretty good in the part.
Was it not Enuka Okuma? At least for the majority of the run.

Sadly the Wayback Machine isn't working for me now, but I took note of the cast listing I found on the old ocean-db.net site, which documented the cast listing Duncan Roberts put together when he researched the Westwood dub in 2003.

For anyone interested, here's the cast listing, according to that site for both Saban and Westwood Z:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:46 am

Enuka Okuma wasn't Android 18, that was a mistake that was only corrected in recent years.

Farrell Spence played her until the end of the Cell Games and after that, it appeared that Willow Johnson took over for whatever reason, possibly schedule reasons although Willow Johnson was in a lot more Vancouver dubs so it's possible they wanted someone more experienced.

I hadn't noticed the switch until recently but I did always think her performance was a lot better in the Babidi saga.

Enuka was cast in a Westwood dub but as far as I know that was only for Gundam Wing.

BTVA is going to be more accurate than a casting list from years ago, mostly because it's constantly peer-reviewed and updated (albeit slowly). For instance, Matt Smith was obviously not Future Gohan, that was Brian Dobson. There are many other mistakes in that list that have since been corrected.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:09 am

So today is the day - 11am PST - 9 hours from now.

That's 7PM here were I am here in Scotland and I REALLY hope to be present for it (kinda close to the kids' bedtime).

What kind of further questions do we want to ask about Kai? One that came to mind was, who exactly were the producers/ production company. I believe there were some casting questions Mr. Willems wanted to chase up so perhaps we can revisit those.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:19 am

SX10 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:09 am So today is the day - 11am PST - 9 hours from now.

That's 7PM here were I am here in Scotland and I REALLY hope to be present for it (kinda close to the kids' bedtime).

What kind of further questions do we want to ask about Kai? One that came to mind was, who exactly were the producers/ production company. I believe there were some casting questions Mr. Willems wanted to chase up so perhaps we can revisit those.
If I recall correctly Michael Dobson listed IPP Productions on his resume, which would by extension mean Ocean as they are an arm of the company.

Speaking of which, since its not quite clear it might be worthwhile asking were Westwood Media a production company or just a recording facility, what involvement (if any) did they have in the Vancouver dub of Dragon Ball Z, and the names of other directors who worked on that dub (because Peter Kelamis and Scott McNeil both alluded to there being a rotating roster of them).

I'd also like to know how much of the Dragon Ball Z dub recorded at Airwave Sound Design did Karl Willems direct. Last time Karl confirmed he dubbed all the Dragon Ball that was done at Ocean but I think I might have confused him as I wanted to ask how much of the series that is associated with Ocean did he direct (because as we know very little of Westwood Z was recorded at Ocean). On that note maybe we can ask was all of Kai recorded at Ocean and Blue Water or were any other recording houses used?

And yes, Karl said he would ask the casting people who played Krillin, Trunks, Cell and I think Bardock? So definitely worth a shot to find out has he heard back from them yet.

Maybe also what other Blue Water actors do they remember being in Kai. So far we know its Brendan Hunter, James Beach and Steve Olson.

Here's the link
for anyone who wants to tune in:

Likewise, I'm going to see family so hoping I'll be able to throw my questions out there at least but unsure if I'll be able to catch the whole show.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm

Just finished up that last stream… I’m gonna say right now, this is probably NOT the place to be getting new information about the Kai dub. The chat and video are too laggy, there’s way too many people asking stuff, and when it comes to the DBZ cast in particular, not enough people know what WE know in this thread and it’s just getting confusing for everyone because they don’t have encyclopedic knowledge of every actor who’s ever played every character in every dub ever made…and Karl simply doesn’t remember, because they did these episodes over 10 years ago.

Here’s what I’m gonna do: I ordered a print for Karl to sign (his very first one apparently!) and I’m going to see if I can reach out to him to do an interview. I think that maybe if I make that production a talking point after he’s potentially asked around at Ocean for some more information, there might be some more we can find out. That said, it’s also very possible he could go to the studio, and they might be like “…you guys aren’t even supposed to be talking about that show“ and then that’s about as dead-end of an answer as we can get.

I’ll keep doing my best to learn more about this thing.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:44 pm

Brian Drummond and Brad Swaile are at Fan Expo Vancouver.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:04 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:44 pm Brian Drummond and Brad Swaile are at Fan Expo Vancouver.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.
Thanks, I'll have a look out for videos of that.

I'd also like to say Anime Time Machine (a.k.a. Saffron Henderson, Brian Dobson and Karl Willems) are doing another livestream this Sunday (February 26) at 11am PST.

They have stated their intentions to do these streams monthly, so for anyone that wants to know when they're streaming follow them here.

Some notes I took from the last livestream:
  • In relation to what Westwood Media were:
    • Saffron said they did produce anime dubs, although "produce" in this context could mean anything as she said they recorded Hamtaro there
    • Karl said it was an overflow thing, which suggests Westwood Media may, though not necessarily, have had all the same duties on their animation work as Ocean Studios
  • IPP book the actors and Ocean produces the dubs (thanks to SX10 for noting this)
  • In relation to whether any recording houses were used for Kai other than Ocean and Blue Water, Saffron, Brian and Karl thought that was it
  • Peter Kelamis may have not been auditioned to play Goku because he is hard to get ahold of due (Robo4900 theorized, based on the available evidence its the actors who stayed the longest in their roles who were asked to audition, but this is an interesting tidbit about Kelamis nonetheless)

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pm

One more interesting point of interest:

In the uk, one of the main tv channels runs a streaming platform called itvx. On their main fb page they announced they will air an anime line up and invited suggestions.

A few people reached out to request Ocean Kai and they respond each time welcoming the suggestion and saying they'll take a note, so that's something positive.

Karl and Saffron say themselves, keep talking about the dub, keep pushing.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:53 pm

So, if this dub ever sees the light of day (which is almost pointless now given how irrelevant Kai is now, it already having an English dub, and how long ago it's been), would it be like GT Blue Water and only be broadcast on TV or would we get home releases for it? As someone who LOVES Kai and has completed my Funimation Kai Blu-ray/DVD collection, I would love an excuse to collect more of it. But my understanding is that it needs an exclusive TV broadcast to be seen.

Besides, with how Crunchyroll is handling the DB releases as of late (cheap GT repackage rerelease and Super Hero lacking 4K or digital), I welcome Ocean Kai being released separately somehow.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:11 pm

Brendan Hunter both reprised Tien AND voiced Captain Ginyu in Kai.

From what he could recall, he did not have to audition, but was cast off of his past work as the character for the Blue Water dubs (presumably by this time, Matt Smith had been retired from acting). He also said that he had recorded from Calgary and that Karl Willams directed him over a patch from Vancouver. He did not remember who voiced any of the other Ginyu Force members, or who voiced Yamcha or Chaozu in any of the scenes he was in as Tien.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:53 am

SX10 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pmIn the uk, one of the main tv channels runs a streaming platform called itvx. On their main fb page they announced they will air an anime line up and invited suggestions.

A few people reached out to request Ocean Kai and they respond each time welcoming the suggestion and saying they'll take a note, so that's something positive.
Thanks for the heads up, great to know other avenues for this dub are still popping up.
mecha3000 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:53 pm So, if this dub ever sees the light of day (which is almost pointless now given how irrelevant Kai is now, it already having an English dub, and how long ago it's been), would it be like GT Blue Water and only be broadcast on TV or would we get home releases for it? As someone who LOVES Kai and has completed my Funimation Kai Blu-ray/DVD collection, I would love an excuse to collect more of it. But my understanding is that it needs an exclusive TV broadcast to be seen.

Besides, with how Crunchyroll is handling the DB releases as of late (cheap GT repackage rerelease and Super Hero lacking 4K or digital), I welcome Ocean Kai being released separately somehow.
Unless there's a significant push from us I don't think a home release is likely (not impossible, just unlikely) because, as you say the Blue Water dubs never had a DVD or Blu-Ray release. I'll still be reaching out to Crunchyroll in the unlikely event they'd consider it though.

Not sure about digital (although I would assume it's in the cards) but Super Hero is getting a 4K release later this year.
Kirbopher wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:11 pm Brendan Hunter both reprised Tien AND voiced Captain Ginyu in Kai.

From what he could recall, he did not have to audition, but was cast off of his past work as the character for the Blue Water dubs (presumably by this time, Matt Smith had been retired from acting). He also said that he had recorded from Calgary and that Karl Willams directed him over a patch from Vancouver. He did not remember who voiced any of the other Ginyu Force members, or who voiced Yamcha or Chaozu in any of the scenes he was in as Tien.
Really? From what we've heard previously Ocean took the initiative to re-audition for every character in this dub. Funimation largely cast for Kai based on legacy castings though.