Strength Checker

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Strength Checker

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
lash wrote:That rule doesn't apply when a SSJ2 is using a concentrated Ki attack.
Fair enough. But I don't believe he'd only use SSj2 then and drop back to SSj. Then again, the whole SSj/SSj2/Kaioshin/Boo arc shit is a clusterfuck of nonsense itself.
It's a quick burst of power, like Goku's SSJ 2 burst vs. Yakon.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:44 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
lash wrote:That rule doesn't apply when a SSJ2 is using a concentrated Ki attack.
Fair enough. But I don't believe he'd only use SSj2 then and drop back to SSj. Then again, the whole SSj/SSj2/Kaioshin/Boo arc shit is a clusterfuck of nonsense itself.
It's a quick burst of power, like Goku's SSJ 2 burst vs. Yakon.
It doesn't explain why Gohan dropped back to SSj afterwards and stayed that way for the rest of the battle though.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:It's a quick burst of power, like Goku's SSJ 2 burst vs. Yakon.
It doesn't explain why Gohan dropped back to SSj afterwards and stayed that way for the rest of the battle though.
Goku(who up to that point only was regular SSJ) goes SSJ 2 vs. Yakon, and immediately drops back to SSJ afterwards, as you can see by his hair, since all of it doesn't stand on end like SSJ 2 Goku's hair does, plus he lacked lightning.

I'd wager that the same applied to Gohan after having ascended to SSJ 2 and then used a bunch of ki and so he goes back to his starting point like Goku did.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:37 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:It's a quick burst of power, like Goku's SSJ 2 burst vs. Yakon.
Goku(who up to that point only was regular SSJ) goes SSJ 2 vs. Yakon, and immediately drops back to SSJ afterwards, as you can see by his hair, since all of it doesn't stand on end like SSJ 2 Goku's hair does, plus he lacked lightning.

I'd wager that the same applied to Gohan after having ascended to SSJ 2 and then used a bunch of ki and so he goes back to his starting point like Goku did.
Eh. I just don't buy it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Goku(who up to that point only was regular SSJ) goes SSJ 2 vs. Yakon, and immediately drops back to SSJ afterwards, as you can see by his hair, since all of it doesn't stand on end like SSJ 2 Goku's hair does, plus he lacked lightning.

Eh. I just don't buy it.
Okay, I've pointed out my points for why it isn't that far fetched and I don't have anything else to say, so I guess this discussion has met its end.

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:12 am

Why can't Gohan just be a SSJ the whole time against Dabura like is suggested?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 am

p123 wrote:Why can't Gohan just be a SSJ the whole time against Dabura like is suggested?
D7 bro. :P
And several quotes point to Gohan being able to access SSJ 2(and we actually saw, he did it without problems earlier). It's only his true ability - the power showcased against Cell, he can't bring out.

And also why would Gohan only be a SSJ, when firing his Kamehameha?
Why not use his max accessible power instead of purposefully holding back, when he wanted to destroy the egg?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm

dbgtFO wrote:And also why would Gohan only be a SSJ, when firing his Kamehameha?
Why not use his max accessible power instead of purposefully holding back, when he wanted to destroy the egg?
There have been multiple threads with multiple counters to this opinion, so maybe we should move on before this thread gets derailed.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:so maybe we should move on before this thread gets derailed.
I can agree with that.

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:54 am

Ok, so I think it would be good if we updated some stuff on here. Herms, can you edit the extra things in?

Getting Gohan's comment on Initial Fat Buu in under Majin Buu would be great. That would be right around when Vegeta laughs off Initial Buu...

Also, do you think Vegeta's " I might die " post KO Goku ( Power Up1 ), and Vegeta's " I will take you with me! " right before he attacks Power Up 2 Buu would be good? It's awfully nitpicky, but hey, if you don't like the idea you can always disagree...

Are you the only person who can edit? I know you have done an awful lot of work, but to add a couple of things here and there if it's too much for you, maybe someone you can trust will do it? Or something?

I will keep looking for anything missing and keep updating ...

Dabooyaka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dabooyaka » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 pm

p123 wrote:Why can't Gohan just be a SSJ the whole time against Dabura like is suggested?
Gohan was a regular ssj like it was suggested, why question it?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 am

@Herms
I didn't find this in the strength checker:
Goku says this fight should end the Cell Games. If this person can't win, no one can. Everyone wonders who he means. Goku says that now after having fought against Cell, he's sure this person can win. So he's going to leave it all up to this next person. Cell asks if he's saying that this person is stronger than him (Cell), and Goku says yeah. Cell wants to know who it is, then.
http://www.kanzentai.com/chp.php?id=403

Shouldn't it be included?

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Vegeta's comments on SSJ2 Teen Gohan at the Budokai are missing as well...

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:22 am

p123 wrote:Vegeta's comments on SSJ2 Teen Gohan at the Budokai are missing as well...
It's there under Boo Arc part 1
Chapter: 444 (DBZ 250), P7.1-4
Gohan: “Well, I’ve become a Super Saiyan. Now what? Is it alright if I fight like this?”
Kibito: “…Wh-what tremendous power…I can’t believe he’s a being of the lower world!”
Vegeta: “…Hmph…That bastard, he was far, far better when he killed Cell. It’s because he slacked off in his training during peacetime…”
Kaioshin: “…No, even so this is magnificent energy, more so than I imagined…I wonder if I’ll be able to stop this power…”
Goku: “…Stop it?”

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Ah ok..

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

That's really impressive, Herms. Collecting all the information from everyone, creating the presentation to allow for easy access to the info we're looking for...
And when reading my work again, I saw you even went as far as checking out the parts yourself and adding lines I had missed, relevant notes, correcting my job over the whole saga!
Really, I'm impressed when seeing how dedicated you've been to that project, and how dedicated you are to many others!
You probably can't imagine how many people are grateful for that and how your work is going to help many fans to clarify the Dragon Ball universe when needed.
Guess I can summarize it all in two sentences: "Congratulations for your hard work and the awesome result!" and "Thanks for everything you bring to us fans!" 8)

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm

There's something missing, I think.

Chapter: 482 (DBZ 288), P9.3-8
Context: Piccolo finally catches up to Gotenks
Gotenks: “You’re slow. So you finally got here? Besides circling around the Earth several times, I even took a little afternoon nap. [ ] Fuffuffuh…So you can’t tell just from my speed just now? My super-duper incredible power…! …Which is to say that the test is over, and I’m going to go take care of that annoying Majin Boo right away…”
*Gotenks takes off*
Piccolo: “H-hey, you idiot! Kuh…! Wh-what a shithead…H-he already has only 1 minute left that he can stay merged. That dimwhit…!”

During the little "[ ]" between the nap and the laughter, Piccolo has a line. In Viz, it's him telling Gotenks to stop wasting his power and Piccolo's. Why wasn't this included in this passage? Was it something different in the Japanese version?
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:13 am

Things that are irrelevant to the strength of a character are sometimes left out.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:08 am

Bussani wrote:Things that are irrelevant to the strength of a character are sometimes left out.
I guess maybe it's just me, but if it's the same in Japanese, it's kind of relevant. :cry:
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 am

Nazi Cola wrote:
Bussani wrote:Things that are irrelevant to the strength of a character are sometimes left out.
I guess maybe it's just me, but if it's the same in Japanese, it's kind of relevant. :cry:
I don't see how it's relevant to character strength. The way Goku talks implies that he can sense the unfused boys' ki as well, otherwise he'd just assume they weren't fused if he couldn't sense it (after all, they went into the room unfused, so it should really be the unfused boys' ki that went missing). So it seems being able to sense their ki from the Kaioshin realm doesn't say anything about their strength.

In SS3 Goku's case, it was more surprising that they could sense it when they weren't actively trying to.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!