The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by macho_man » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 pm

From Super Jump #1 1986, I need translation because the plot of the bump on his ass is wonderful.

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 pm

Did anyone request Vegeta's statement to 17 about Kid Trunks being as strong as Future Trunks was at the Cell Games? This occurs right before they take off to head to the Tournament of Power.

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:09 pm

Also, concerning the difference between the anime and the translations here regarding Base Potara Fusion of Goku and Gohan.

Herms- "You'll probably be plenty."

Simmons- "You'll probably be just enough."

Did the anime change any of the dialogue? Or can it be translated either way? Did the anime alter things a bit to make room for Vegetto to be the strongest?

What does Goku say to Vegetto here as he is handing him the Potara? In the English version, he says, "We will be unbeatable!"
https://postimg.cc/phtN63pf

And here Vegetto says in the English version, "C'mon, make me use full power!" What does he say in the original?
https://postimg.cc/7GQRycLt

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:47 pm

^ Your first picture can't be seen, but based on your description and the English line, I guess it's the one when Goku is smiling with a drop of sweat flying from his head as he is embarrassed:
"If you put it on, you and I will fuse, and we'll give birth to a superpowered warrior!!"

For the second one, Vegetto says:
"I thought you'd be better than this... Come on, try a little! I'd like to fight at my max..."
FeatsofPower wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:05 pm Did anyone request Vegeta's statement to 17 about Kid Trunks being as strong as Future Trunks was at the Cell Games? This occurs right before they take off to head to the Tournament of Power.
"You know Trunks' power, right? So relax, just because he's smaller doesn't make him any less strong."

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:49 pm

Thank you, could you go over the Potara Base Gokan thing? The discrepancy between what Steve Simmons has and what Herms has? Herms makes it seem like Base Gokan is going to be abundantly powerful whereas Steve Simmons makes it seem that he'll be just enough. I wonder if something was changed to make room to Vegetto > Gokan in the anime?

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:34 pm

What does Vegetto mean by his max? Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan? Is he suppressed as a Super Saiyan here?

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:01 am

FeatsofPower wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:34 pm What does Vegetto mean by his max? Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan? Is he suppressed as a Super Saiyan here?
Well, Goten and Trunks both have SS on their own. When they fuse they can use SS2 and SS3. Goku can use 1,2 and 3 while Vegeta could use 1 and 2. It's more than likely that Vegito could indeed go use SS3 because if Gotenks can do it there's zero doubt Vegito could when one of his fusees could do so on their own.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:55 pm

FeatsofPower wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:49 pm Thank you, could you go over the Potara Base Gokan thing? The discrepancy between what Steve Simmons has and what Herms has? Herms makes it seem like Base Gokan is going to be abundantly powerful whereas Steve Simmons makes it seem that he'll be just enough. I wonder if something was changed to make room to Vegetto > Gokan in the anime?
I don't know about the anime, but in the manga, this is a translation of what the old Kaio Shin says if that's what you're looking for:

"If you want to turn into a Super Saiyan, do it after you fused.
But I'm sure it won't be necessary.
The potalas are already powerful enough on their own."

Obviously, in this phrasing, "the potalas" mean "the use of potalas" or "the result of the fusion through potalas", etc... Not the earrings themselves! So I guess you could also express it with something like "Just fusing with the potalas is already powerful enough on its own".

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 am

FeatsofPower wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:34 pm What does Vegetto mean by his max? Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan? Is he suppressed as a Super Saiyan here?
I'm here for the SSJ Chou team
Vegito just has a SSJ whom, by itself, is stronger than ssj3 (idea taken from an interview from toriyama who said that a fully mastered Ssj would be stronger than ssj3. Also, the videogames universe of db seems to remark that, guides stating that Vegito is ssj4 tier, and finally dbs manga showing that very idea in 2 occasions)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:26 pm

I feel like we're clinging too much on something that is very much outdated with every sentence Toriyama said in that answer. I assume you are talking about this. Firstly, that was in 2014, so it was pretty much an idea tied to what would be presented in Movie 15, released one year later. But as with Saiyan beyond God and other ideas, it was later dropped. There's nothing to master about Super Saiyan, they already did everything in Cell saga. As Dragon Ball Super showed, we did end up seeing Goku using Super Saiyan 2 (thank you, Toei!) and a bit of Super Saiyan 3 too.

Until we get something clearer, the multipliers remain the same. Super Saiyan still is a boost of x50 and Super Saiyan 2 a boost of x100. If it was any different, or if it was something that could be changed, Goku would probably tell that to Caulifla. But Goku not only showed that Super Saiyan 2 is the way to get stronger, he encouraged her to get Super Saiyan 3.

I don't know of any game that "remark" Super Saiyan being stronger than Super Saiyan 3, and that infamous comparison between Vegetto and Goku is as vague as it can be. What are the two occasions from the Dragon Ball Super manga?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:26 pm I feel like we're clinging too much on something that is very much outdated with every sentence Toriyama said in that answer. I assume you are talking about this. Firstly, that was in 2014, so it was pretty much an idea tied to what would be presented in Movie 15, released one year later. But as with Saiyan beyond God and other ideas, it was later dropped. There's nothing to master about Super Saiyan, they already did everything in Cell saga. As Dragon Ball Super showed, we did end up seeing Goku using Super Saiyan 2 (thank you, Toei!) and a bit of Super Saiyan 3 too.

Until we get something clearer, the multipliers remain the same. Super Saiyan still is a boost of x50 and Super Saiyan 2 a boost of x100. If it was any different, or if it was something that could be changed, Goku would probably tell that to Caulifla. But Goku not only showed that Super Saiyan 2 is the way to get stronger, he encouraged her to get Super Saiyan 3.

I don't know of any game that "remark" Super Saiyan being stronger than Super Saiyan 3, and that infamous comparison between Vegetto and Goku is as vague as it can be. What are the two occasions from the Dragon Ball Super manga?
Not just this, but to assume that Vegito only has SS is baffling. Gotenks can use SS2 and SS3 while Goten and Trunks can only use SS. Goku and Vegeta can each use SS2 and Goku can use SS3. I think it would be more unlikely that he COULDN'T use SS2 and SS3.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:27 am

Yeah, whenever a character says "at my full power", they mean in their current state (if they have more transformations, that is). Goku did fight Vegeta using all of his power as he himself said, but more accurately, using all of the power Super Saiyan 2 could provide. It doesn't mean he didn't have Super Saiyan 3 or anything.

Vegetto's statement above means his full power as far as Super Saiyan goes. He obviously has Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:26 pm I feel like we're clinging too much on something that is very much outdated with every sentence Toriyama said in that answer. I assume you are talking about this. Firstly, that was in 2014, so it was pretty much an idea tied to what would be presented in Movie 15, released one year later. But as with Saiyan beyond God and other ideas, it was later dropped. There's nothing to master about Super Saiyan, they already did everything in Cell saga. As Dragon Ball Super showed, we did end up seeing Goku using Super Saiyan 2 (thank you, Toei!) and a bit of Super Saiyan 3 too.

Yes, the interview i meant was that, and seems like toriyama meant that by mastering everything at the max level SSJ is just > SSJ3. There must be a level of mastery beyond what we saw in the cell era.

Anyway, that idea is completely ignored in the anime and seems to be used just twice in the manga (vs hit by Goku and vs Goku black by vegeta), and in that occasions what I call SSJ Chou wasn't all that weaker than ssj god.

Said so, Vegito is so much stronger than Goku and has literally 0 antifeats at the point that nothing impedes to think that he might just have that form too. It is not like he doesn't have SSJ2 and 3, it's just like is SSJ is stronger than those by default.

Then there's like All the videogames calling Z Vegito( and z Gogeta too) super (超) vegito/ Gogeta, when SSJ Gogeta from dbs is just called super Saiyan Gogeta( スーパーサイヤ人 ). Why differ if the form is the same? And obviously it isn't the "super" form used by vegeta either (Ssj grade 2)

And we got legends too, where z vegito is canonically stronger than rof era SSB Goku ( and you don't need to be Einstein to understand that a simple x50 over his base wouldn't make that possible)

Then there's the gt guide that tells that SSJ Vegito might be on par if not superior to baby era SSJ4 Goku (and again, since Z Vegito has 0 antifeats whatsoever and no one blatantly refers to him in GT, that can be plausibile and another proof for the SSJ Chou thing. There is a dialogue from baby vegeta that is used to commonly low-ball z Vegito, but even counting that he would need much more than a x50 to get just a bit under super baby 2 in power, so still here we are and anyway nothing apart of headcanon makes us think that baby was referring to vegito too in that scene, and i say, why should he had? And still, no antifeats by Z Vegito whatsoever, so nothing contradicts him being even millions/ billions times stronger than buuhan. He just played all the time and in the anime he even started training him mid fight , if that wasn't enough to remark their difference)

I hope that my point about the SSJ Chou thing is clearer now.
Just made this to analyze the difference . Hope it helps.
https://imgur.com/a/LlzFgwA
https://imgur.com/a/FVs8xOc

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:37 am

p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmAnyway, that idea is completely ignored in the anime and seems to be used just twice in the manga (vs hit by Goku and vs Goku black by vegeta), and in that occasions what I call SSJ Chou wasn't all that weaker than ssj god.
I didn't see anything in the Goku vs Hit fight that could even imply Super Saiyan to be stronger than Super Saiyan 3, so I won't bother looking into the Vegeta's situation. You may want to be more specific and provide some sources on this.
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmIt is not like he doesn't have SSJ2 and 3, it's just like is SSJ is stronger than those by default.
It isn't. The Super Saiyan multipliers work the same for fused characters until stated otherwise.
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmThen there's like All the videogames calling Z Vegito( and z Gogeta too) super (超) vegito/ Gogeta, when SSJ Gogeta from dbs is just called super Saiyan Gogeta( スーパーサイヤ人 ). Why differ if the form is the same? And obviously it isn't the "super" form used by vegeta either (Ssj grade 2)
It is a weird name convention "Super Gogeta", "Super Vegeta", Super Whatever, yes. But that means absolutely nothing. It is the regular Super Saiyan.
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmAnd we got legends too, where z vegito is canonically stronger than rof era SSB Goku ( and you don't need to be Einstein to understand that a simple x50 over his base wouldn't make that possible)
I don't play Dragon Ball Legends so I'm unaware of what happens there. But maybe that's not meant for the series, but for the context of the game?
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmThen there's the gt guide that tells that SSJ Vegito might be on par if not superior to baby era SSJ4 Goku (and again, since Z Vegito has 0 antifeats whatsoever and no one blatantly refers to him in GT, that can be plausibile and another proof for the SSJ Chou thing. There is a dialogue from baby vegeta that is used to commonly low-ball z Vegito, but even counting that he would need much more than a x50 to get just a bit under super baby 2 in power, so still here we are and anyway nothing apart of headcanon makes us think that baby was referring to vegito too in that scene, and i say, why should he had? And still, no antifeats by Z Vegito whatsoever, so nothing contradicts him being even millions/ billions times stronger than buuhan. He just played all the time and in the anime he even started training him mid fight , if that wasn't enough to remark their difference)
I'm sorry, I can barely understand any of this. What I can say is that that comparison is not clear, it is not useful and it is not something to get clung to. That comparison is unclear, it is useless and it is something we should definitely forget about, as there's no chance they are ever going to elaborate it.
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmI hope that my point about the SSJ Chou thing is clearer now.
I don't even know what this "SSJ Chou" thing that you keep mentioning is.
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmJust made this to analyze the difference . Hope it helps.
https://imgur.com/a/LlzFgwA
https://imgur.com/a/FVs8xOc
You're making weird naming convention to be a big deal when it's not. None of this is telling you anything. And don't let yourself be confused by that.

Super Gogeta = Super Saiyan Gogeta.
Super Vegetto = Super Saiyan Vegetto.
Super Vegeta = Super Saiyan Grade 2 Vegeta.
Super Trunks = Super Saiyan Grade 3 Trunks.
Super Perfect Cell = Super Saiyan 2 Cell*.
Super Mira = Super Saiyan Mira.
Super Fu = Super Saiyan Fu.

That's how it is. I'm not a fan of this "Super Someone" name scheme too, but we just have to deal with it.

* That one is used by me (only?). It's odd we never had any official information even suggesting this name, despite the series making it very obvious that's Cell's Super Saiyan 2 form. But I digress.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:20 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:37 am
p-hyvo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:22 pmAnyway, that idea is completely ignored in the anime and seems to be used just twice in the manga (vs hit by Goku and vs Goku black by vegeta), and in that occasions what I call SSJ Chou wasn't all that weaker than ssj god.
I didn't see anything in the Goku vs Hit fight that could even imply Super Saiyan to be stronger than Super Saiyan 3, so I won't bother looking into the Vegeta's situation. You may want to be more specific and provide some sources on this.
Literally in the manga we saw SSJ Goku > 10% SSB vegeta
Again, no genius needed to understand stat a x50 wouldn't work there. Well, at least if you think that SSB is way more than a x300 multiplier lmao

Same for Vegeta. Goku black was presented as stronger than trunks and a ssj3 in base, then he goes ssj and... Ssj vegeta beats him?or Math isn't heading up or that wasn't a normal ssj

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:15 am

I would caution folks that do not have the necessary translation skills against weighing in on said issues.

I would also ask that if your conversation sways away from the actual ask for and discussion about specific translation queries, you either take it to a more specific/dedicated existing thread, or consider making a new one. We should not be reading theory crafting about strength comparisons here, and you especially shouldn't be insulting your fellow members over these issues -- please do not embarrass both yourselves and the community as a whole. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 pm

Can anyone translate this?

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:22 pm

I have a question regarding the item Trunks gave to Goku to take for his Heart Virus.

Every English Translation I can recall refers to this as Medicine. IE, something that you take in order to cure a disease you already have. As opposed to a Vaccine, something that you take in order to prevent yourself from getting a disease.

My question is: Does Japanese have seperate words for those concepts, like in English, and if so is "Medicine" an accurate translation of the word's used

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:10 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 pm Can anyone translate this?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:03 pm

Google Translate is not sufficient for anything other than possibly getting the broad strokes of something, particularly niche topics. There are countless omissions and inaccuracies I can already see in that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::