MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 3/4/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/31/22!)

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:22 am

Ehh, GT's enough of a mess that I'm sure that Toei told Toriyama to redesign the cast as "older" without them having a clear idea in mind of exactly HOW much older they wanted them, then picked an arbitrary date for guidebooks later. Toyotaro will probably pull a better explanation out of his butt when/if he ever gets to GT-era Super.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:28 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:44 am I just watched the entire dub with a friend and I definitely know it never said anything about 10 years in the dub at all and never did.
Yeah. In the dub, the keep it a bit vague, with Goku saying he hadn't been home in a while in the first episode. So, not even in the dub was the 10 year number given. I only heard about it through a press briefing or description on the show at some point.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:46 pm

It's been in a long time since I saw a video that did a hardcore Dragonball investigation. This was a fun trip to listen to. And you even got to listen to the English Dub Ohhh, your poor eardrums if you didn't skip the opening song :mrgreen:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:46 pm It's been in a long time since I saw a video that did a hardcore Dragonball investigation. This was a fun trip to listen to. And you even got to listen to the English Dub Ohhh, your poor eardrums if you didn't skip the opening song :mrgreen:
I will say, despite anyone's thoughts on him, Vic's got a good singing voice. The English version of 'Dan Dan' is really good.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:36 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:46 pm It's been in a long time since I saw a video that did a hardcore Dragonball investigation. This was a fun trip to listen to. And you even got to listen to the English Dub Ohhh, your poor eardrums if you didn't skip the opening song :mrgreen:
I will say, despite anyone's thoughts on him, Vic's got a good singing voice. The English version of 'Dan Dan' is really good.
Uh, I was talking about the GT Rap.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:51 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:36 pmUh, I was talking about the GT Rap.
I desperately hope MistareFusion didn't subject themself to the Mark Menza soundtrack when they sampled the dub.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:38 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:36 pm Uh, I was talking about the GT Rap.
Oh. I hope he didn't check that out as well then.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 pm

I wonder how he would react to the Italian openings, then, since all the three series got dance songs. They're all pretty catchy, but GT's one is the weakest of the three, in my opinion.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:59 pm

Since I was sampling specific content pointed out to me, I was not watching it in any complete form. I did hear the Menza soundtrack, at the very least, when I was watching the original dub first episode (A Grand Problem). I've certainly heard the rap many times in my life. I've only heard a few seconds of the dubbed Dan Dan. Whatever else I might have to say about the singer, he does a fine enough job, and I'm glad they dubbed the song.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:39 pm

Your taking the knife to Path to Power was a bigger wake-up call than I expected it to be! I only just saw it in 2022, but sort of fell for its trap of letting the collapsing story slide in favor of all the pretty Dragon Ball imagery. And as a deliberate nostalgia piece it is exactly the sort of movie to gain artificial "prestige" for being the last movie, the "cozy bookend", that fades a bit when you actually watch it. I go back and forth on how good an introduction to Dragon Ball it makes. It is more overtly sentimental than Dragon Ball usually gets, which plays better to existing fans with personal attachment to the material than actually representing it, and you have those first story arc holdovers that don't represent the whole. I knew that you would raise the question that, if the movie wants to be all of Dragon Ball to all people... whose priorities determined that we see Bulma's underwear that many times? :think:

Full marks on the GT timeframe question, I did not read the description before watching so Hoffman's actually responding threw me for a loop! I had never even considered that people would confuse the time jump after Buu's defeat with the time jump from GT. The fun of having a multi-generational cast with a question like this is how a different time span affects different characters. Bra is the biggest offender, but the answer that question also tells us if Goten and Trunks are closer to 20 or 30! :lol:
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:40 pm

Finally we got here!

About your early GT review:

- It really feels like something is lacking with these videos without introducing music, I know that's because copyright issues, but it could be really a problem to use this track at the start of the videos? IIRC GT soundtrack is unreleased, but I'm a nonexpert on the subject, so I really don't know if that could cause something.

- I like the concept of a new set of DBs that you can only gather travelling across the universe is way better than DBS new set where you can only gather those by destroying planets (?) and it's not even across the Multiverse is exclusive to U6 and U7 IIRC.

- Having Goku to turn into a child was always kinda of a turn off for me in GT, I think I could have appreciated more if he actually returned to his adult self after the first arc. Also was you pointed it was really weird that his powers were inconsistent to the point of only being capable of using IT as a SSJ4.

- I liked the route GT choose at the beginning to go with Trunks, but it's so lame that he is side casted after Baby, hope you address that.

- Even though I'm not from America, I always thought the gap between Z and GT was 10 years. It makes so much sense, also I could swear Bra was older than Pan, it doesn't make sense by their design to be like 8 or 9... It's like the writers hadn't decide about it on time or didn't tell Toriyama who made those designs.

- You say GT lacks confidence and that's pretty true, it tries to hard to be a mix of DB and Z instead of focusing on it's own thing. As a matter of fact Super has a lot of lack of confidence too (those god damn Z callbacks all the time), but that was overcomed over the course of the series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 2/6/23!)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 am

Drag-in Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Baby Arc Part 5

It's here! Dragon Ball Dissection begins for 2023 with a whole lot more GT. We're on three different planets: the greedy planet, the bee planet, and the "we already did this better" planet! Also, why does that little robot vex me so? Help! I hope you enjoy the video. And, yeah, maybe I'll make a thread about Giru/Gill/DB4649T2006RS/DD4649T22006RS/DD4649T2006RS to see if anyone has any idea what's going on here.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:33 pm

Nice video as usual.

As for the name, I'll just copy and paste what I already wrote on youtube.

I always assumed that the robot was named after the "gear" mechanical part, with some altered letters like credit/redjic and the other ones. Since you like to preserve both sounds and puns, perhaps you can call him "gearu", pronounced "jiru"?

Someone then asked why it should be pronounced "jiru" and not "giru", and my answer was that you like back to the future.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:14 pm

The Wiki claims it's a pun on the word Gear, but even they say it's a "citation needed" thing, so I doubt that's reliable.

One thought I had was that Giru might be an onomatopeia for some kind of computer sound effect, which would also be why he was repeating it. But that's pure speculation, I have no actual evidence

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 pm

I'd go with "Gill" because that's how it's written on-screen in the show itself, and there doesn't seem to be any punnery at work that spelling it "Giru" would better preserve (as is the case of "Blooma", despite her name being written as "Bulma" on-page in the comic itself).

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:40 pm

Zephyr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 pm I'd go with "Gill" because that's how it's written on-screen in the show itself, and there doesn't seem to be any punnery at work that spelling it "Giru" would better preserve (as is the case of "Blooma", despite her name being written as "Bulma" on-page in the comic itself).
Considering Dragon Ball's propensity for Engrish, I'd argue that, in the absence of a source pun, Giru makes the most sense.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 am

DanielSSJ wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:40 pmConsidering Dragon Ball's propensity for Engrish, I'd argue that, in the absence of a source pun, Giru makes the most sense.
Dragon Ball may have a propensity for Engrish, but in the absence of a source pun it seems hard to pin "Gill" as a definite instance of it. Without a source pun either spelling seems just as valid as the other, but only one of them was chosen by the people making the show.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:59 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 am Drag-in Ball - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Baby Arc Part 5

It's here! Dragon Ball Dissection begins for 2023 with a whole lot more GT. We're on three different planets: the greedy planet, the bee planet, and the "we already did this better" planet! Also, why does that little robot vex me so? Help! I hope you enjoy the video. And, yeah, maybe I'll make a thread about Giru/Gill/DB4649T2006RS/DD4649T22006RS/DD4649T2006RS to see if anyone has any idea what's going on here.
Total throwaway line for me to break down, but on the topic of "alien aerobics instructors....."

I mean....

Toriyama pre-empted that look YEARS ago with the Saiyajins and Freeza Force. It's not quite as blatant, but when you break down Saiyan armor, what is it but literally "militarized glam rock fitness freak gear?"
The monkeys and the refrigerator people clad in one-piece spandex, arm bands, wrist bands, leg warmers, wrist warmers, roller derby knee pads, even headbands. With sci-fi armor on top. Just gratuitously, almost atrociously 80s/early 90s.

I actually remember when I first became aware of this. It was because of Xenoverse 2 of all things, when I unlocked Bardock's clothes and suddenly noticed he was wearing hot leg and wristwarmers, and that got me to take a second look at the entirety of the Freeza Force, especially the likes of Raditz, Selipa, Zarbon, and the Ginyu Force.

Yeah, without a doubt.

It's part of why I love Dragon Ball. It's such an accidental period piece; it's so gratuitously 80s/90s Japanese pop culture that it hurts.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:17 pm

...I don't know who was on the writing team, but no one thought to check why Goku dressed up for Oolong worked as a concept? And that episode with the giant, that was meh. And yes, Even the end to Imegga too, bleh.

...Were they even trying? As infuriating as plenty of Super episodes were, at least you could feel they were trying. This is lazy.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 am Dragon Ball may have a propensity for Engrish, but in the absence of a source pun it seems hard to pin "Gill" as a definite instance of it. Without a source pun either spelling seems just as valid as the other, but only one of them was chosen by the people making the show.
Yeah, but is the company that decided to render two of DBZ's main villains as "Fliza" and "Sal". This may just be me, but without a source pun, I'd say phonetics takes precedent over spelling.