Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 pm Dragon Ball games following the stories off the anime & manga aren't inherently bad. What gets people to complain about them, though, is the overabundance of DB games that do that & the ones that focus on the Z material primarily rather than covering earlier than that or the expanded media Toei put out. It also depends on how well the stories are adapted into the games & the gameplay systems around them. We have more DB games now that don't focus on the Z story, or put a huge twist on the formula as well, so I think that helps.
I don't think that's unpopular. I never saw anyone complaining about this situation for the sake of it, or complaining without wanting something new. The reason is indeed the overabundance of the exact same thing repeating year after year, for decades, that lasted until 2014. I still don't think I have thanked Dimps enough in saving the Dragon Ball games, so here again, thank you Dimps!

If they want to retell something, retell what hasn't been retold yet or that has been retold quite little. Dragon Ball, the movies, the TV Specials and Dragon Ball GT (in detail and expanding them, by showing never-before-seen stuff, which is what Cyber Connect2 did with Trunks DLC and is expected to do the same with Bardock DLC) are all interesting options to me. Either you do that or come up with a new story or twist, those should be the only two available options. Dragon Ball Z has been milked to death, even unborn people know what it is and what happens.

Dragon Ball is an old franchise, so waiting years for a series to come back, monthly mangas and sporadical movies shouldn't be the only way to get new content, games can fill in those blank periods quite nicely. Them also being a source for new material is a very wise decision from all points of view and one I'll always be here for.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:07 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 pm Dragon Ball games following the stories off the anime & manga aren't inherently bad. What gets people to complain about them, though, is the overabundance of DB games that do that & the ones that focus on the Z material primarily rather than covering earlier than that or the expanded media Toei put out. It also depends on how well the stories are adapted into the games & the gameplay systems around them. We have more DB games now that don't focus on the Z story, or put a huge twist on the formula as well, so I think that helps.
I'm still mad we never got Legacy of Goku 4 with GT story and got that side scroller game which was mediocre at best. GT had a lot of potential for LoG game, especially its first half, and all of that was wasted on GBA.
OG series got slightly better treatment as there were some games like Advanced Adventure or Origins. But still, majority of games focus on Z story sadly. I'm glad Kakarot will adapt arc from OG series though. Maybe we will get some GT or Super stuff as well.

More recent games have some new stories, but they still mainly focus on DBZ stuff with addition of post-Z stuff. OG series lacks representation even in Xenoverse.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:34 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:07 pm
I'm still mad we never got Legacy of Goku 4 with GT story and got that side scroller game which was mediocre at best. GT had a lot of potential for LoG game, especially its first half, and all of that was wasted on GBA.
OG series got slightly better treatment as there were some games like Advanced Adventure or Origins. But still, majority of games focus on Z story sadly. I'm glad Kakarot will adapt arc from OG series though. Maybe we will get some GT or Super stuff as well.

More recent games have some new stories, but they still mainly focus on DBZ stuff with addition of post-Z stuff. OG series lacks representation even in Xenoverse.
That’s basically what Dragon Ball GT: Transformation is, although it’s a beat ‘em up instead of an RPG.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:19 pm

I hate DBZ: Abridged. I've never found it funny, I think TeamFourStar are sellouts, and I especially don't like the moments where it tries to be a legitimate dub and get "real". Like, make up your mind: are you a parody or not?

Fans who consider it a superior product to DBZ with deeper characters and write college thesis-sized essays analyzing the "brilliance" of its writing get under my skin too, but I won't go there.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:19 pm I hate DBZ: Abridged. I've never found it funny, I think TeamFourStar are sellouts, and I especially don't like the moments where it tries to be a legitimate dub and get "real". Like, make up your mind: are you a parody or not?

Fans who consider it a superior product to DBZ with deeper characters and write college thesis-sized essays analyzing the "brilliance" of its writing get under my skin too, but I won't go there.
Personally, I’m mostly just annoyed that because of TeamFourStar, a lot of people seem to have this misconception that Goku killed Dr. Gero’s son, when that’s not even what Toriyama said. I’m sure DBZA was not the origin of this misconception, but it most likely contributed to it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:11 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:19 pm I hate DBZ: Abridged. I've never found it funny, I think TeamFourStar are sellouts, and I especially don't like the moments where it tries to be a legitimate dub and get "real". Like, make up your mind: are you a parody or not?

I love DBZA, but I can agree that it's annoying that TFS have moments where they honestly tried to outdo the original source material. Like, I really don't like the message they tried to tack on to Gohan defeating Cell. They tried to make Gohan's more pacifistic nature a bigger plot point when that's NOT his character arc in the original, nor even up until that point in DBZA. It also came off weirdly political to me & a bunch of other people back in 2018. It was really dumb.
Not to mention not doing the Buu Saga completely fucks up the ending of Gohan's character arc of having resentments of Goku not being around, imo. It's not sufficiently addressed or anything at the end of Cell & I was really looking forward to that finally getting resolved, but then they cancelled the show.
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:02 pm Personally, I’m mostly just annoyed that because of TeamFourStar, a lot of people seem to have this misconception that Goku killed Dr. Gero’s son, when that’s not even what Toriyama said. I’m sure DBZA was not the origin of this misconception, but it most likely contributed to it.
I think that's negligible because it's a small enough misconception that if you point it out to them why it's wrong, the other person will more than likely get it. My problem is more so how too many people think Goku's a bad dad because of how TFS hammered it in early on, then how they made Goku so much more absent-minded. Goku loves his family. It's just not the usual paternal love you see from dads. He appreciates everyone around him who's a loved one to him. And, he's only not around them when circumstances dictate it. He was dead for 1 year, taken out of commission, died again & chose to stay dead due to forced reasonings that were ultimately altruistic, etc.
To their credit, in the commentaries for the episodes, Kaiser & Lani have explained how they regret doing those jokes so early on as they did & how the jokes were stupid, but when I see someone like Hidden in her DBZ game videos spout shit opinions about the source material & use TFS clips to justify them, I never like it & feel like some people don't listen to well to TFS or the counter arguments.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm

I don't think rehashing old ideas as long if they can do something cool and different with it. Both Baby and Morro borrow a lot from other villains, but they still come off as cool villains IMO.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:29 am

In Super, Goku should have kept the beard. It was a cool and fresh new look. Instead, he shaved and we just got color swapped hair.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:12 am

Jord wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:29 am In Super, Goku should have kept the beard. It was a cool and fresh new look. Instead, he shaved and we just got color swapped hair.
It would look weird considering how goofy character Goku sometimes is because beard would make him look more serious than he is. It would work better on Vegeta, especially considering King Vegeta had a beard too. Besides It's easier to keep iconic look that everyone love. I personally love GT Vegeta's haircut, but a lot of people don't like it. Not because it looks bad, but because it's a different look. I personally don't mind changes but i'm not sure people would generally accept Goku having a beard. Also it would turn blonde/red/blue/white if he transformed and that could look really weird.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:07 pm

This! I have played LOG1 just because it was Dragon Ball, even tho the game wasn’t really good, but not really broken and LOG2 and Buu’s Fury were brilliant.
Transformation was indeed supposed to be a sequel based on the reports back then and I guess that is what ultimately killed the game and it’s planned sequel.
I can imagine the exploration of the planets and getting the Dragon Balls in the style of LOG perfectly.
Going from LOG games to Transformation was such a bummer and the replayability being to unlock extra characters (including just a hair swap SSJ versions) and play the same levels of beat em up over and over. What a bummer!
The gameplay was also kinda stiff and the only cool thing about it is the soundtrack. Basically in the same way as in LOG and probably one of the technically best and state of the art soundtracks for GBA system!

Plus one unpopular opinion, LOG is the only medium, where the Faulconer score rocks and works. I fell in love with the game versions of the score when I played them and the repetitivness, non-stop playing OST was ideal for looping it in the game and play as BGM all the time.
In contrast to anime, where coming from the dramaturgy in Japanese version, that very well uses different themes and motives plus a moments of silence.
The US mix with Faulconer is horrible, it’s like watching Power Rangers and makes it quite cheesy. I wonder, how proper version mimicking the Japanese placement would be.
Which makes it awesome for videogame, where the synth guitars and synths in general get lost in the hardware and the GBA version to me sounds more appropriate and less dated.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 am Plus one unpopular opinion, LOG is the only medium, where the Faulconer score rocks and works. I fell in love with the game versions of the score when I played them and the repetitivness, non-stop playing OST was ideal for looping it in the game and play as BGM all the time.
In contrast to anime, where coming from the dramaturgy in Japanese version, that very well uses different themes and motives plus a moments of silence.
The US mix with Faulconer is horrible, it’s like watching Power Rangers and makes it quite cheesy. I wonder, how proper version mimicking the Japanese placement would be.
Which makes it awesome for videogame, where the synth guitars and synths in general get lost in the hardware and the GBA version to me sounds more appropriate and less dated.
And I thought I was the only one who had this same opinion lol

It's just like you said straight: Faulconer score fits more to a videogame than an actual series.

In my region we gladly had DB/Z/GT with original score, but thanks YouTube I was exposed to the american version and I can say most tracks like Vegeta theme, Gohan Angers 2, Perfect Cell theme and SSJ3 theme I enjoy because of the Legacy of Goku games.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:21 pm

Lol that was some weird quoting style dude. Anyway
MrGohanks wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm Again, you failed to show an actual quote here. He never even mentions Goku that episode.

You are reaching badly lol.
..no, you are confused badly. And I didn’t fail at anything. I said after leaving his family trip (which he did after remembering Goku), Vegeta’s next scene is him training and complaining about Goku being #1.

If you need verbatim dialogue to be spelled out about literally everything maybe just do the rewatch I mentioned.

MrGohanks wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm Again, not a single quote to be found. Its like you are reaching for reasons to whine about Vegeta.
Goku is never mentioned nor even thought off in that very episode where Vegeta gets Whis to train him. In fact, when Goku finds out about what Vegeta has been doing for the past 6 months and how Vegeta surpassed, Vegeta doesn’t try to rub it in his face.
YOU are the one with the mental filter
...the single quote is found if you google a clip on youtube. Vegeta’s reason to ask Whis to train him was Goku. So, Goku was mentioned. You can trust me on this.

MrGohanks wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm Vegeta had no idea about Goku's fight with Hit until the end of the episode and didn't assume Goku was doing any training since he wasn't with Whis
For the upteenth time, he did, when he wondered about Goku's absense and tried to bypass his boring training so Whis would let him go do whatever Goku is doing.

Although this is anime only, as most of what we're talking about, so I guess it doesn't matter.

MrGohanks wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm Goku didn't even assume that Vegeta was meditating in the first place because it isn't something Vegeta is known to do.

And how the hell was Goku being "against" meditation in the first place?
Lolz.
Vegeta telling Goku that he is training to keep the body and mind calm (aka- meditating) to learn to focalize ki and conserve stamina and Goku responding - “No way is that a form of training”. That’s how.

Vegeta explaining such a BASE martial arts concept to this long-time martial artist is dumb already, but Goku responding with obliviousness to it after he'd been SHOWN meditating even as recent as in the latest manga arc makes no sense.

Like, unless I have to understand that Goku never actually knew the point of sitting still with his eyes closed or putting his mind in blank, this was absolutely a contradiction.

And next we got the reason laid out clearly. Whis comes down saying how the challenge didn’t click for Goku and congratulates Vegeta who “got it“, is what this whole thing was about: Retconning one character to favor another.
That’s pathetic. And not acknowledging it as such is pathetic too, getabro.

MrGohanks wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:46 pm And no, Vegeta beating Goku in the movie wasn't a 3rd win because their first fight with interrupted by Gohan & Krillin and their 2nd fight was postponed because of Buu. This is the first time they've actually had a fair fight with an actual conclusion

Admit it, you just have a butthurt hatred over the character, which was obvious since that other thread where you went out of you way to argued that Goku shouldn't be held accountable for releasing Buu
Goku isn’t accountable for releasing Buu :wink: , that fact has nothing to do with butthurtness.

And lol Goku absolutely lost the 1 on 1 in Saiyan Saga. He was done. There was no fight to be “interrupted”.

Even if for Vegeta himself it might not be a win, it sure seems to be for the fans, with them bragging about it constantly. Therefore the pretense of this being Vegeta’s very first, long-awaited "payback" (as if Goku had ever even beaten Vegeta) is hypocritical

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:03 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:21 pm *snip*
Look, I trust that your argument is valid and whatnot, but...it's been several months, my guy, and the dude you're replying to is even banned. There is no need to bring this beef back, just let it go.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:03 pm
dva_raza wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:21 pm *snip*
Look, I trust that your argument is valid and whatnot, but...it's been several months, my guy, and the dude you're replying to is even banned. There is no need to bring this beef back, just let it go.
Uh what? ..there was no beef. And you don't decide what I "need" to do.
Replies aren't exclusive for the person I'm replying to.

Whatever I'm saying functions as opinions I wanna give on this ongoing thread.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:09 pm

I'm probably one of the few here that are not in a thirst for a new animated series, seeing how DBS production was, I prefer the current route Toei is taking: doing movies once in a while.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:24 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:09 pm I'm probably one of the few here that are not in a thirst for a new animated series, seeing how DBS production was, I prefer the current route Toei is taking: doing movies once in a while.
I’m in that same boat, and I’ve made that known quite a few times on these forums. I could not care less about seeing the manga content in anime form.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:45 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:09 pm I'm probably one of the few here that are not in a thirst for a new animated series, seeing how DBS production was, I prefer the current route Toei is taking: doing movies once in a while.
I think a movie every couple of years is the best way to do it. So that when the story does continue, it's high quality, has strong pacing, and leaves us wanting more. 95% of the Dragon Ball Super show was horrible.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm

Filler isn't a problem in a TV series. I'm sure I've said the opposite here before, but tastes change over time. If I wanted a story that just got straight to the point, I'd watch a movie, not TV.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:12 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm Filler isn't a problem in a TV series. I'm sure I've said the opposite here before, but tastes change over time. If I wanted a story that just got straight to the point, I'd watch a movie, not TV.
And honestly occasionally filler can be better the main storyline. I wasn't a fan of Buffy's season 4 main storyline but some of its filler episodes were the strongest episodes in the entire series

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:25 pm

Filler isn't inherently bad, it's just bad filler that's bad. The Fake Namek episodes were drivel, but the Heavenly Tournament episodes were enjoyable.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san