Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Captain Space » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:^The thing at the end of the credits where Goku does the Kamehameha while the manga page shots go by? Oh, and even if I see it in Japanese, I wouldn't get the Japanese versions of the songs.
Oh, then it is in the dub, cool. And huh, weird.
Doctor. wrote:
Captain Space wrote:the English guy does the serious moments better.
I disagree, especially when it comes to screams. They're both good, but I have to say I think the japanese actor is better overall in every important aspect.
Fair enough. I think the difference is slight in both areas anyway. If I had to pick, I'd say the Japanese one.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:29 am

Valerius Dover wrote:-Beerus the Destroyer is a great antagonist, specifically because he isn't a villain. It's all part of his job as the God of Destruction.
TBH one thing about the dub I didn't like was the "destroyer" name. It sounds too cheesy, God of Destruction is better.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Do anyone has the Korean DBZ BOG logo? With Mystic Gohan?

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:09 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Do anyone has the Korean DBZ BOG logo? With Mystic Gohan?
I think you're referring to the 'poster', not the 'logo', and yes, here it is:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:00 pm

I was rewatching BOG the other week. While I still love the movie, I still wonder why Pilaf didn't freak out when he saw Piccolo. Won't he get a flash back of Piccolo Daimao when he is at the party. I still find it odd that Pilaf, Shu and Mai don't ring a bell to Bluma since she should remember them. Yamcha was also at the party and he should have pointed something out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:18 pm

My only real issue with the English voice cast in this was Sean Schemmel's King Kai: he sounds deeper, raspier, and more forced than ever.

Of course I think Joji is really phoning it in in DB Super Episode 2, so Kaio's voice in both languages is not faring well recently-- that said, I heard Mr. Yanami is suffering from a health condition, so that may explain it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:00 am

Awesome. Better late than never! Also, Selecta Vision of Spain is releasing the extended cut now.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Since we got Toriyama's 'script' and the full storyboard for Resurrection 'F', I can't help but wish that we'd received similar items for this movie. I was reading through Kanzenshuu's guide for BOG again and a lot of the information surrounding the pre-production of this film is just so fascinating. While I'm super glad that Toriyama redesigned Super Saiyan God, given what Yamamuro was proposing, I'm still kinda curious about Watanabe's original story. It sounds so radically different from what we ended up seeing, one has to wonder what sort of impact this would've had on the franchise going forward if they had indeed gone ahead with it. The amount of influence that Toriyama had on BOG seems to have given the franchise so much direction in recent years, it's hard to imagine anything different. Still, I reckon it would've been interesting to see what Watanabe had to offer the series.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:35 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Since we got Toriyama's 'script' and the full storyboard for Resurrection 'F', I can't help but wish that we'd received similar items for this movie. I was reading through Kanzenshuu's guide for BOG again and a lot of the information surrounding the pre-production of this film is just so fascinating. While I'm super glad that Toriyama redesigned Super Saiyan God, given what Yamamuro was proposing, I'm still kinda curious about Watanabe's original story. It sounds so radically different from what we ended up seeing, one has to wonder what sort of impact this would've had on the franchise going forward if they had indeed gone ahead with it. The amount of influence that Toriyama had on BOG seems to have given the franchise so much direction in recent years, it's hard to imagine anything different. Still, I reckon it would've been interesting to see what Watanabe had to offer the series.
I'm also really curious about what the original script was like and how it played out in detail. Behind-the-scenes/beta/unused concept stuff interests me. I mean, I'm happy with the BOG we got, but I still wish more about the original script (or the original script itself) had been legally available for reading somewhere. I can't help being morbidly curious; it was a dark script for a Dragon Ball movie from what little we know, but was it dark in the way One Piece movies can get dark, or dark by way of FMA; ultimately a completely different path than what all the modern material so far ended up going.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!