Interesting or funny pictures thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Interesting or funny pictures thread

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:37 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:25 am The only thing about DBS Bardock I don't like is that they made him a loving father which kinda takes away from the poetic meaning behind Goku defeating Freeza and turns Goku's backstory from inspired by Superman to a straight rip-off.
This. The picture above is kind of a strawman, because I don't think anyone believes the problem with modern Bardock is that he's "good", it's that they've made him unique and special, a saiyan who somehow was cool enough to realize Freeza was planning to attack and who suddenly cares enough about his son to save him Superman-style. The reason the Bardock special was great was not just because Bardock was allowed to be nasty, but because he's nobody. His story is the tragedy of some random dude who happened to coincidentally be given knowledge of the death of his race which he could do absolutely nothing against, and the fact that Goku is his son is completely irrelevant.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:37 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:25 am The only thing about DBS Bardock I don't like is that they made him a loving father which kinda takes away from the poetic meaning behind Goku defeating Freeza and turns Goku's backstory from inspired by Superman to a straight rip-off.
This. The picture above is kind of a strawman, because I don't think anyone believes the problem with modern Bardock is that he's "good", it's that they've made him unique and special, a saiyan who somehow was cool enough to realize Freeza was planning to attack and who suddenly cares enough about his son to save him Superman-style. The reason the Bardock special was great was not just because Bardock was allowed to be nasty, but because he's nobody. His story is the tragedy of some random dude who happened to coincidentally be given knowledge of the death of his race which he could do absolutely nothing against, and the fact that Goku is his son is completely irrelevant.
Same is true of this Bardock, only instead of being given the ability to see the future from a magical race, one of the Heaters lets slip that Frieza is planning something big for the Saiyans, under the safe assumption that he'd be too dead to tell anyone anyway. Bardock survives, gets back to Planet Vegeta, and he still doesn't know what Frieza is planning. He hears that Frieza has been asking around about the Super Saiyan legend, and puts two-and-two together. Still, he is unable to stop what's coming.

Also, Bardock caring about his kids is not unique to him. King Vegeta had pride in his son. Paragus chased after Broly when he was sent to a far off planet to be killed. Caring for one's offspring, at least enough to preserve their lives, is kind of essential to a species' survival. The only unique thing about this Bardock was that he felt bad as he was slaughtering a planet's people one time.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:47 pm

I don't think you're really looking very closely at the story's presentation if you're making leaps like that, honestly.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:20 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:47 pm I don't think you're really looking very closely at the story's presentation if you're making leaps like that, honestly.
Who are you talking to?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:27 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:20 pm Who are you talking to?
The person directly above me?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:32 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:27 pm
King Vegeta, Paragus and Bardock were shown to care to some degree about their children.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:54 am

Paragus defied King Vegeta, stealing a ship and kidnapping a crew to help him find his son. Unless I'm mistaken, Paragus was also aware that the planet Broly was sent to was highly dangerous. While he didn't plan on being stranded there, he knew he wouldn't be able to go back to his home without being put to death. If Paragus didn't care about his son then...please explain why he was so willing to throw his life away to save Broly's?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:06 am

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:32 pm
Shaddy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:27 pm
King Vegeta, Paragus and Bardock were shown to care to some degree about their children.
King Vegeta didn't care about his children in the anime.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 am

Hulk10 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:32 pm King Vegeta, Paragus and Bardock were shown to care to some degree about their children.
Not particularly for king and Bardock, but Broly is a stupid movie anyway. I don't think a movie making the same mistake years ago really sets precedent to excuse the mistake nowadays, when the point is that it's simply not as interesting nor does it align well with the picture early Z paints of the saiyans.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:54 pm

I rather liked the Broly movie. Because it delved into Saiyans more and because of Broly. But we are entitled to our informed opinions.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am

Toyo gets all the hate for DBS Bardock, and he might have some blame, sure, but the supermanization of Goku started with Min*s (don't even want to say it out loud).
Toriyama, for some reason, came up with Kal-elrotto, yet Toyo gets the entire bill even though he is just expanding on an already bad story written by the man himself.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am Toyo gets all the hate for DBS Bardock, and he might have some blame, sure, but the supermanization of Goku started with Min*s (don't even want to say it out loud).
Toriyama, for some reason, came up with Kal-elrotto, yet Toyo gets the entire bill even though he is just expanding on an already bad story written by the man himself.
Toyo didn't have too use Bardock in the story....but he did it anyway with his Naruto rip off writing style and gave him a bullshit power up that would make Hiro Mashima wet.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:48 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:38 am Toyo gets all the hate for DBS Bardock, and he might have some blame, sure, but the supermanization of Goku started with Min*s (don't even want to say it out loud).
Oh I fully acknowledge the lame and boring version of Bardock is older than Toyo's manga (hell, look at Episode of Bardock. That thing is putrid), but I don't think that's necessarily any justification. It's hard to know exactly how much power Toyotaro has over the course of the story, but assuming he has any kind of sway that isn't dictated solely by Toriyama, you can then still criticize him for sticking to a poor interpretation of the character and not adding anything to give it more substance.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:33 pm

乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:55 am

Noah wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:33 pm Image
Krillin looks better without that nose.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:39 am

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:53 am

Fixed

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:18 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:53 am Image

Fixed
Shaddy, you are an absolutely insane Human being for thinking that Son Goku from Dragon Ball Super is not a fifth-rate knock-off of Son Goku from Dragon Ball GT, as do I need to remind you that Son Goku from Dragon Ball Super had done so many questionable acts that he would make all of the other versions of himself look like Saints in comparison to him?

And I really think that is about time that you should stop right now with all of this nonsense that you have sometimes been talking about here too. As when you would sometimes rant against me and absolutely anything better than that absolutely soulless piece of garbage that is Dragon Ball Super just makes you look like such an absolutely pathetic excuse of a Human being that you would have felt right at home in absolutely any part of the world governed by a male Puppet who is being controlled from the shadows by a female Puppeteer.