Translations Errata: mistranslations, lacunae, grammar, etc.

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Translations Errata: mistranslations, lacunae, grammar, etc.

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

This is a general-purpose thread for mistakes in the "Translations" section. I've been just plowing through a bunch of translations, so I'm bound to make mistakes here and there, both with English and with Japanese (though with any luck, the latter will be mostly words/lines I skipped over by accident).

I know there are a few people who have translated some of the same things for themselves (TripleRach), in which case I only want gentle prodding as to where the errors are, not wholesale replacements with their own translations; I've avoided reading others' work specifically to prevent unintentional borrowings.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Re: Translations Errata: mistranslations, lacunae, grammar,

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 pm

In DVD Extra – Akira Toriyama’s Comments on Bardock:
I think what probably happened was, somebody from the animation company came to me and said, “we’d like to [do] an original story based on these designs…” and when I had them show me the sketches, I ended up redoing them.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Well, this isn't in the Translations section, and I'm not sure if this one was done by yourself or Herms, but in the tidbit for the Trunks Side Story there's a slight grammatical issue with you where there should be you're.
“This person is you father, isn't it?”
Either way, everything of yours I've been reading lately is fantastically written!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:36 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:you where there should be you're.
Don't you hate when that happens? Good catch, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Well, this isn't in the Translations section, and I'm not sure if this one was done by yourself or Herms, but in the tidbit for the Trunks Side Story there's a slight grammatical issue with you where there should be you're.
More like 'your'. :P

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Well, this isn't in the Translations section, and I'm not sure if this one was done by yourself or Herms, but in the tidbit for the Trunks Side Story there's a slight grammatical issue with you where there should be you're.
More like 'your'. :P
Awe shoot! I knew it was right in my mind. Autocorrect on the iPhone must have played a hand in that.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Sorry this isn't really a translation issue, but you still have Moeru Heart De 〜Red Ribbon Gun o Yattsukero〜 listed as sung by Hiroki Takahashi for the CDs that song is on.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 pm

“This person is you father, isn't it?”
Either way, everything of yours I've been reading lately is fantastically written!
In a related note, I think I found another typo in that story's translation. In the You Are the Last Hope…!! section, the second line after the picture of Trunks going Super Saiyan for the first time, it says "I hid Vegeta-san‘s form and Gohan-san‘s voice saying," and I'm pretty sure it should say heard instead of hid.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:38 pm

In DB Back Then Vol. 3 – Character Designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru Interview:
[Nakatsuru’s] Profile
An animator. Served as animation supervisor for the “Dragon Ball” TV anime series. Representative works include the TV anime “Adventure King Beet” (character designer) and “Digimon Adventure” (character designer).