Why is Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Why is Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ?

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:40 am

How come Toei is reanimating the Sailor Moon anime but not Dragon Ball Z?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why is Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:47 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:How come Toei is reanimating the Sailor Moon anime but not Dragon Ball Z?
Nothing has been said as to why the decision was made.

Sailor Moon Crystal has four production committee members. Dragon Ball Kai has but two, Fuji Televi and Toei Animation. This leads me to believe there was a lack of parties interested in making a good remake.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 am

Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ because Naoko Takeuchi is actually passionate about protecting her work.

Anyway. I like how SM fans gets everything DBZ fans want - an actual remake, uncropped Blurays, a redub, a decent live-action, etc. Well, not bad for Yamcha fans, he's also in Sailor Moon you know.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:11 am

Sailor Moon has a pretty low episode count in comparison to Dragon Ball, DB would be a huge undertake but I'm sure they could reanimate dragon ball in less than 300 episodes if it's a direct manga cut.
Dragon Ball would be a much bigger project for Toei and Kai is still going on so it'd be quite awhile before any re-animations take place.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:16 am

Kid Buu wrote:Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ because Naoko Takeuchi is actually passionate about protecting her work.

Anyway. I like how SM fans gets everything DBZ fans want - an actual remake, uncropped Blurays, a redub, a decent live-action, etc. Well, not bad for Yamcha fans, he's also in Sailor Moon you know.
Well its as you said. Unlike Dragonball, Sailor Moon's author actually gives a damn about her creation.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:25 am

Kid Buu wrote:Toei reanimating Sailor Moon but not DBZ because Naoko Takeuchi is actually passionate about protecting her work.

Well we do have a redub with Kai.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 am

Kai isn't really a redub since that is the first time they dubbed it they dubbed that show. I will give FUNi credit for making a more faithful dub though.
KentalSSJ6 wrote:

Well its as you said. Unlike Dragonball, Sailor Moon's author actually gives a damn about her creation.
She's even working with Viz on the redub of the 1992 cartoon. For a mangka to work on a foreign dub of an anime adaption, that is passion.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:

Well we do have a redub with Kai.
Eh....it could be thought of as a re-dub in a loose/spiritual sense, but it's not technically a re-dub so much as it is a dub of a new show that happens to have a crap-ton in common with an older show. A true re-dub would mean re-dubbing DBZ itself, and there's no way FUNimation could financially justify doing that. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised Viz could financially justify re-dubbing Sailor Moon. I'm not complaining, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the re-dub, but I'm not confident in the prospect of an ROI with a Sailor Moon re-dub.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:37 am

I believe it also have to do with the fact that SM needs a remake more than DB does. The DB anime is pretty faithful aside from the added contact, almost frame for frame at times. The SM anime tends to deviate pretty far from the source at times. It also needs a redub more than DB does. The first two series don't have uncut dubs, and the fifth series isn't available at all. All 3 DB series are available bilingual, uncut, and with a mostly consistent dub.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 am

Kai is already a remake of DBZ. I doubt we will see another remake of DBZ for a very long time. Besides, I want something new. You can only tell the same story so many times before it gets tiresome.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 am

Eh....it could be thought of as a re-dub in a loose/spiritual sense, but t's not technically a re-dub so much as it is a dub of a new show that happens to have a crap-ton in common with an older show. A true re-dub would mean re-dubbing DBZ itself, and there's no way FUNimation could financially justify doing that. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised Viz could financially justify re-dubbing Sailor Moon. I'm not complaining, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the re-dub, but I'm not confident in the prospect of an ROI with a Sailor Moon re-dub.
Well, unlike DBZ, Sailor Moon isn't really "over-saturated" in the home market with several different releases and thus there is still a big market for a home release. The manga was recently given a new release and it was a best-seller everytime it was released. Cardcaptor Sakura is getting a redub too, and that series is nowhere near as big as Sailor Moon. Another thing to consider is that Viz is running out of Bleach episodes to dub, so perhaps they are using the money there to dub Sailor Moon.

Naoko Takeuchi is not really a fan of the 90s dub, so I assume part of the deal to giving the rights to Viz was to essentially "murder" the 90s dub and sweep it under the rug.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:11 am

If Kai had been more successful for Toei, they would probably be giving Sailor Moon the same treatment instead of reanimating it.

Annoyingly, Kai was somewhat of a (failed) litmus test for such an approach of 'refreshing' of old titles for Toei, and had they chosen another franchise other than Dragonball to test the waters with, we'd probably be looking at a re-animated Dragonball anime, too.

Sadly, as we have Kai, that's almost certainly not going to happen.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:16 am

Blade wrote:If Kai had been more successful for Toei, they would probably be giving Sailor Moon the same treatment instead of reanimating it.
Doubt Naoko Takeuchi would have allowed that.

Also, you couldn't really "Kai" the anime because it is a character-driven episodic series anyway, as opposed to the plot-driven manga.

Sailor Moon is like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the sense that practically every episode further the main arc. Even when its a monster of the week episode, there's something subtle there that helps advanced the overarching storyline.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:24 am

Kid Buu wrote:Doubt Naoko Takeuchi would have allowed that.
A remastered, director's cut of the anime with a totally new audio track sounds fine on paper. I'm sure she'd have given it her blessing if she was involved in the production, or at least given a consulting role in overseeing the process.
Kid Buu wrote:Also, you couldn't really "Kai" the anime because it is a character-driven episodic series anyway, as opposed to the plot-driven manga.
In terms of the remastering and refreshing processes, there isn't really a problem.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 am

Blade wrote: A remastered, director's cut of the anime with a totally new audio track sounds fine on paper. I'm sure she'd have given it her blessing if she was involved in the production, or at least given a consulting role in overseeing the process.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. The anime made various changes to the manga that she disliked, so she wants a new series to be exactly like the manga. It's not like DBZ where the anime is mostly the same narrative as the manga, with a few minor changes and padding. Remember this is a lady so obsessed with accuracy that she is in charge of a foreign dub of an anime adaptation.
In terms of the remastering and refreshing processes, there isn't really a problem.
So the exact same show but remastered? Uh..

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:00 am

On the contrary of Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece, it was impossible to make Sailor Moon closer to manga just by edited the original anime.

The original anime heavily diverges from the manga, and I mean "heavily". A bit like Dragonball Evolution diverges from Dragon Ball, or to a lesser extent, like The Path to Power diverges from the original manga story.

Editing would have made it shorter, but would have still told a story that is only very loosely based on the manga, with some pretty major character, plot and settings modifications.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 am

Kid Buu wrote:Kai isn't really a redub since that is the first time they dubbed it they dubbed that show. I will give FUNi credit for making a more faithful dub though.
KentalSSJ6 wrote:

She's even working with Viz on the redub of the 1992 cartoon. For a mangka to work on a foreign dub of an anime adaption, that is passion.
And because of said passion, her series is getting a quality remake with a dub inspected by herself. If Toriyama was even half this passionate then Kai would have had animation quality of the Budokai 2 and 3 openings.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 am

Cold Skin wrote:On the contrary of Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece, it was impossible to make Sailor Moon closer to manga just by edited the original anime.

The original anime heavily diverges from the manga, and I mean "heavily". A bit like Dragonball Evolution diverges from Dragon Ball, or to a lesser extent, like The Path to Power diverges from the original manga story.

Editing would have made it shorter, but would have still told a story that is only very loosely based on the manga, with some pretty major character, plot and settings modifications.
This is the correct answer. It has nothing to do with passion or interested parties, merely that Sailor Moon's original anime is so radically different from the manga that no edit of the old animation would get you anything resembling the original story. Basically, Toei are reanimating it because they really don't have a choice.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:53 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Sailor Moon has a pretty low episode count in comparison to Dragon Ball, DB would be a huge undertake but I'm sure they could reanimate dragon ball in less than 300 episodes if it's a direct manga cut.
Dragon Ball would be a much bigger project for Toei and Kai is still going on so it'd be quite awhile before any re-animations take place.
A direct manga cut of Dragon Ball doesn't even need to be 200 episodes. Is Sailor Moon that long? Don't forget Sailor Moon Crystal will only be 26 episodes unless they decide to extend it. And it's airing twice a month on the internet. It's kind of clear that it's not as huge a money-sink as completely renaimating DB, with the intention of covering the entire series, on television.

But hell, at this point, I'd have settled for a 26-episode online series as opposed to what's been done with Kai. Granted, they start from the beginning and not Goku's adulthood.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:58 am

Original Sailor Moon is exactly 200 episodes long, guess Dragon Ball was unlucky to be choosed as a guinea pig, to see, if Toei could afford to make such half-baked remake, and still make lots of money, if that`s the case, then I'm kinda glad it was/still is a flop in Japan.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015