Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 am

Kakarot is down to number 9 in the UK for its third week. I've read that there was a shortage in switch games recently but that has now ended and a lot of the games have jumped up in the chart.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:34 am

Still number 1 in France.

So last week for the UK is interesting. Some report that Kakarot was number 1, and some say Kakarot was number 2. The reports that came out later do tend to have Kakarot at number 1 for that week and it does state it beat CoD by 400 units. Either way it was it was super close

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm

So it looks like Kakarot has sold 13,866 in Japan in its 3rd week, bringing the total up to 129,072.

Xenoverse sold 12,211 on the PS4 and 7,239 on the PS3 by its third week bringing it's total up to 127,280 (72,838 on PS4 and 54,442 on PS3
Xenoverse 2 pushed 6,703 copies bringing it's total up to 87,105 by it's 3rd week.
Fighter Z pushed 5,795 copies in its third week, bringing it's total up to 88,943.

It seems that Kakarot is still topping the Swiss charts for the PS4 and XB1.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:49 pm

DBZ Kakarot is PS4s third most downloaded game for the month of January.

Kakarot is still at number 1 in the German charts for PS4 and XB1.

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:03 am

Sora Saiyan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:03 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Sora Saiyan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:25 am So Kakarot did 89,537 in it's first week in Japan. That's the best first week sales for a DB game this gen I believe, with Xenoverse coming in at second with 78,911. After a quick search it would seem that you have to go all the way back to Burst Limit in 2008 to have a DB game in Japan that surpassed this in sales, as that sold 92,298. So it seems that Kakarot is doing pretty well in Japan.
I never played Yakuza, but is the fact that the game sold considerably more than Kakarot (having been released on the same day) in it's first week strange or unusual?

Anyway, they look very good numbers compared to other DB games, both in the UK and Japan
It appears that the Yakuza series is quite loved in Japan. The sales numbers for Yakuza 5 were 357k and Yakuza 6 sold 218k. The numbers for Yakuza 7 (157k) are considered disapointing so Kakarot was never expected to come close. Whilst there has been side games that did worse than this Yakuza entry, it seems that this is quite a bad number for a mainline Yakuza game in Japan.
Judgement sold 148,000 copies.

Kiwami 2 sold 132,000 copies.

Yakuza 6 sold 218,000 copies.

Kiwami sold 163,000 copies.

Yakuza 0 sold 235,000 copies.

So Yakuza 7 sold within the realm of the more recent side games.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 pm

According to Bandai's earnings reports, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot sold more than 1.5 million units in its first week worldwide, and Bandai expects to sell 2 million this year as well. By comparison, DBX2 sold 1.4 million and DBX needed more than a month to reach that mark. I don't know about FighterZ however.

I am happy that this style of game for DB is doing so well in sales, I hope they will continue to support it as they did with DBX2 and FighterZ

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:49 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 pm According to Bandai's earnings reports, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot sold more than 1.5 million units in its first week worldwide, and Bandai expects to sell 2 million this year as well. By comparison, DBX2 sold 1.4 million and DBX needed more than a month to reach that mark. I don't know about FighterZ however.

I am happy that this style of game for DB is doing so well in sales, I hope they will continue to support it as they did with DBX2 and FighterZ
We don't have concrete numbers like that for FighterZ or Xenoverse 2. Xenoverse 2 had shipped 1.4 million copies after its first week. Shipped units are not the same as units sold. FighterZ shipped 2 million units in its first week. But again this is all shipped units. Honestly it could be likely Bandai are talking about units shipped, because it's meant to be really hard to get concrete numbers on all the sold units from retailers. If they are actually talking about units sold, then this may be the best a DB game has done at this point.
Also for anybody thats interested Xenoverse 1 took 1 month to hit 1.5 million units shipped.

Anywho, Kakarot has dropped to 22 in the UK charts. It had a pretty good run.
Also like I mentioned in a previous post. Kakarot was #3 in the US PSN January chart. FighterZ managed to come in at second during its spell, and that game had only been released for a few days before the month changed.
Kakarot came in at #7 in the EU PSN chart. The only game ahead of Kakarot in both PSN charts with the same price was CoD.
In the EU PSN charts FighterZ came in at #13 when it originally released.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 am

Sora Saiyan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:49 am
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 pm According to Bandai's earnings reports, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot sold more than 1.5 million units in its first week worldwide, and Bandai expects to sell 2 million this year as well. By comparison, DBX2 sold 1.4 million and DBX needed more than a month to reach that mark. I don't know about FighterZ however.

We don't have concrete numbers like that for FighterZ or Xenoverse 2. Xenoverse 2 had shipped 1.4 million copies after its first week. Shipped units are not the same as units sold. FighterZ shipped 2 million units in its first week. But again this is all shipped units. Honestly it could be likely Bandai are talking about units shipped, because it's meant to be really hard to get concrete numbers on all the sold units from retailers. If they are actually talking about units sold, then this may be the best a DB game has done at this point.
Also for anybody thats interested Xenoverse 1 took 1 month to hit 1.5 million units shipped.

Anywho, Kakarot has dropped to 22 in the UK charts. It had a pretty good run.
Also like I mentioned in a previous post. Kakarot was #3 in the US PSN January chart. FighterZ managed to come in at second during its spell, and that game had only been released for a few days before the month changed.
Kakarot came in at #7 in the EU PSN chart. The only game ahead of Kakarot in both PSN charts with the same price was CoD.
In the EU PSN charts FighterZ came in at #13 when it originally released.
Now that you're talking, I'm in doubt. The earning reports were in Japanese, so I'm not sure. But I believe that this was the quantity sold and not just shipped, in the case of DBX2 if you search most sites say that Bandai announced that the game shipped 1.4 million, but with Kakarot most say it sold 1.5 million (it is likely that several sites copied from one, but some of them must have translated it because it also contains the information that Bandai expects to sell 2 million this year, and that is in these reports), and the rough translation of these reports say that sales exceeded 1.5 million as well. But it would be nice to have a confirmation from someone who knows Japanese.

https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/r ... ry_id=6621

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Also, it looks like Kakarot remains at the top in sales in France for the third week in a row, for both Xbox One and PS4

https://www.sell.fr/

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:20 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 am Now that you're talking, I'm in doubt. The earning reports were in Japanese, so I'm not sure. But I believe that this was the quantity sold and not just shipped, in the case of DBX2 if you search most sites say that Bandai announced that the game shipped 1.4 million, but with Kakarot most say it sold 1.5 million (it is likely that several sites copied from one, but some of them must have translated it because it also contains the information that Bandai expects to sell 2 million this year, and that is in these reports), and the rough translation of these reports say that sales exceeded 1.5 million as well. But it would be nice to have a confirmation from someone who knows Japanese.

https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/r ... ry_id=6621
Well it's definitely an interesting one. It sounds like it's sold in excess of 1.5 million judging by the reports around the internet, so if if that is the case that's great. Like you said they're expecting it to sell 2 million by the end of the fiscal year (March 31st). So everything does seem to lean towards it being copies sold.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Do we have the sales number for Dragon Ball Legends ? I wonder how much BN got money from it.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm Do we have the sales number for Dragon Ball Legends ? I wonder how much BN got money from it.
It was reported back in November last year that Dragon Ball Legends had generated at that point $301 million dollars.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 pm Do we have the sales number for Dragon Ball Legends ? I wonder how much BN got money from it.
It was reported back in November last year that Dragon Ball Legends had generated at that point $301 million dollars.
:o Holy smoking toledos that's a lot I'll dare to say that's shallot :mrgreen:

I'm out with this bad pun that only North Kaio would laugh at. :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Kakarot is now down to third in the Swiss charts. This is gonna be where it starts to drop off, but it's done pretty well to stay this high for as long as it has around the world.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 am

Older news, but it looks like Kakarot debuted at number 2 in Italy.

We have 4th week numbers in Japan, and the game has sold another 7,860 units.
For comparisons sake
Xenoverse sold 8249 on the PS3, and 4995 on the PS4. Bringing the total for that game up to 81,087 (PS3), and 59,438 (PS4)
Xenoverse 2.. well I can't find anything here.. it might have dropped off the chart.
FighterZ did 3992, for a total of 92,935.
Kakarot pushed 7,860 bringing it's total up to 136,932.
btw, I've previously got the Xenoverse PS3 and PS4 sales mixed up. It's the PS3 version that sold better in the Japanese charts.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:09 pm

According to the NBD group, DBZ Kakarot was the best selling game in the U.S during the month of January (PS4 and Xbox one)

With this, 3rd highest launch sales month for the series, behind only Dragon Ball FighterZ and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai.

And the 1st time ever a DBZ game has topped a monthly chart (FighterZ ranked second in its release month)

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Kakarot set a new franchise record with first month digital sales surpassing 1.6 million. Research firm Superdata reported that digital sales were more than double of any other DB game. Even with those numbers it only ended up being third worldwide for the digital games rankings, being beaten by FIFA 20 and CoD.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:05 pm Kakarot set a new franchise record with first month digital sales surpassing 1.6 million. Research firm Superdata reported that digital sales were more than double of any other DB game. Even with those numbers it only ended up being third worldwide for the digital games rankings, being beaten by FIFA 20 and CoD.
If only Kakarot's digital sales have already exceeded 1.6 million, then can we assume that total sales (both physical and digital) have far exceeded 2 million (Bandai's target by the end of March)? I mean, this is already expected considering sales in the first week only, but maybe the game will reach 3 million by the end of the year if it continues like this. I imagine that DLCs can boost sales too

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Bandai announced that DBZ Kakarot has sold over 2 million worldwide

https://mobile.twitter.com/BandaiNamcoE ... 1885211648

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:01 pm

That's pretty good. What did the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games sell in the end? I know it over 2 million once upon a time.