"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:50 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:37 pm
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:58 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:24 am

Dragonball is not profitable anymore like it’s crazy nobody finds it odd after how well the Broly did that a new anime series wasn’t immediately started? Because it did just average at the Japan box office ( the one that matters most) all that work they put in and it was just an avg return on profit. Why waste time making somthing that looks good when I’m not gonna get a good return either way.
The movies are not the only thing Dragon Ball makes money from. If you read the fiscal year report released by Bandai, you'd be surprised how much profitable Dragon Ball has been.
I understand that but when your main product the anime is bombing globally except North America that’s not a good sign in any regard.
The anime is not the main product. It's just a commercial to remind people to go buy merchandise.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:50 pm

The movies are not the only thing Dragon Ball makes money from. If you read the fiscal year report released by Bandai, you'd be surprised how much profitable Dragon Ball has been.
I understand that but when your main product the anime is bombing globally except North America that’s not a good sign in any regard.
The anime is not the main product. It's just a commercial to remind people to go buy merchandise.
If there was a like function on this forum I'd like this post a thousand times.

The misunderstanding of the above is one of the biggest problems I have with non fans understanding of the series and Dragon ball fandom as a whole. I'm happy the recent Super movies have felt like they're using the OG manga(or at least what Toriyama remembers when he writes the outlines) as the basis.

With Super It felt like they were trying to have it be a sequel to both Kai AND the original manga in order to have their cake and eat it too.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:31 pm

CashmanX wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:10 pm

If there was a like function on this forum I'd like this post a thousand times.

The misunderstanding of the above is one of the biggest problems I have with non fans understanding of the series and Dragon ball fandom as a whole. I'm happy the recent Super movies have felt like they're using the OG manga(or at least what Toriyama remembers when he writes the outlines) as the basis.

With Super It felt like they were trying to have it be a sequel to both Kai AND the original manga in order to have their cake and eat it too.
I think that there is an unfortunate tendency among casual fans to confuse the executives looking to make money for being the same people as those who actually make the product. Dragon Ball Super Broli has genuine artistic merit infused into it by Director Nagamine Tatsuya and friends but that doesn't mean that its existence is not purely meant to act as a commercial for keeping the general machine that is the franchise alive.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:00 pm

Well, since the information from several leakers in relation to a web series announcement before the end of the year has not passed, we are going to comment on real information. It has been announced this week that the Digimon Ghost Game soundtrack will be released at the end of February.
In October the scriptwriter of the series already commented that he was writing the script for the finale. All this indicates that the series will end during the month of March and therefore another new Toei animation series has to occupy its TV space. If it is true that a Dragon Ball series has been in production since October, it is possible that this series will take the place of Digimon Ghost Game in April.
It is possible that the information on the web anime has not been completely accurate and what Toei is working on is the new TV series to occupy the space of Digimon Ghost Game that was the TV space of Super.
Be that as it may, the announcement of the new series that will replace Digimon will be made before the end of January.
We'll see what it is at the end.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:00 pm Well, since the information from several leakers in relation to a web series announcement before the end of the year has not passed, we are going to comment on real information. It has been announced this week that the Digimon Ghost Game soundtrack will be released at the end of February.
In October the scriptwriter of the series already commented that he was writing the script for the finale. All this indicates that the series will end during the month of March and therefore another new Toei animation series has to occupy its TV space. If it is true that a Dragon Ball series has been in production since October, it is possible that this series will take the place of Digimon Ghost Game in April.
It is possible that the information on the web anime has not been completely accurate and what Toei is working on is the new TV series to occupy the space of Digimon Ghost Game that was the TV space of Super.
Be that as it may, the announcement of the new series that will replace Digimon will be made before the end of January.
I would not expect that a Dragon Ball series will fill the 9AM timeslot that Digimon: Ghost Game current holds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Digimon series but bare in mind it's still pretty early and thus hard to tell what is taking the slot over yet.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:39 pm
Nanatsu88 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:00 pm Well, since the information from several leakers in relation to a web series announcement before the end of the year has not passed, we are going to comment on real information. It has been announced this week that the Digimon Ghost Game soundtrack will be released at the end of February.
I would not expect that a Dragon Ball series will fill the 9AM timeslot that Digimon: Ghost Game current holds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Digimon series but bare in mind it's still pretty early and thus hard to tell what is taking the slot over yet.
You're probably right.

What it sucks for me is that as a DB fan I will be disappointed with another full year with no Dragon Ball, and as a Digimon fan I would have 0 hype for another Digimon series after the let down of the last 2.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:21 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:52 pm What it sucks for me is that as a DB fan I will be disappointed with another full year with no Dragon Ball, and as a Digimon fan I would have 0 hype for another Digimon series after the let down of the last 2.
The other way around for me, Ghost Game has became my favorite season next to 01, and I would rather DB get any other timeslot instead of replacing it, but I have the feeling that DBS2 will indeed be replacing it one day. The signs are written on the stars.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:52 am

In Japan, yes, in Europe, it is the opposite. Anime or in case of Pokémon, the game is usually perceived as the main product like with movies.
Plus smaller and more segmented markets, so you won't make much money on merch unless you are universally huge IP, which Dragon Ball is not in terms of merch for the last 10+ years, being dethroned by Naruto and with saturday cartoon block being dead for around the same time, I am not even sure what flies now except for Pokémon, that is still universally no. 1.
Maybe it fares better in US.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:08 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:52 am

In Japan, yes, in Europe, it is the opposite. Anime or in case of Pokémon, the game is usually perceived as the main product like with movies.
Plus smaller and more segmented markets, so you won't make much money on merch unless you are universally huge IP, which Dragon Ball is not in terms of merch for the last 10+ years, being dethroned by Naruto and with saturday cartoon block being dead for around the same time, I am not even sure what flies now except for Pokémon, that is still universally no. 1.

Eh? Are you not contradicting yourself here? First you are saying that the anime is the main product in Europe. Then you are saying the opposite in the next phrase. (In case of Pokémon the games are 110% considered the main product in Europe).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:19 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:08 pm

Eh? Are you not contradicting yourself here? First you are saying that the anime is the main product in Europe. Then you are saying the opposite in the next phrase. (In case of Pokémon the games are 110% considered the main product in Europe).
Kids watch anime based on game, not the other way around, play the game because of that, collect cards, buy merch.
Maybe it was puzzling how I put it.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:13 pm

According to leaks, the anime that will replace Digimon is something called "Tosochu: Great Mission", so the only hope for new DB animated content is the webanime.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:43 am

Plus smaller and more segmented markets, so you won't make much money on merch unless you are universally huge IP, which Dragon Ball is not in terms of merch for the last 10+ years, being dethroned by Naruto and with saturday cartoon block being dead for around the same time

Ummm is there a source for that are you making up BS as usual?

Naruto’s merch sales for the past 5 years has been way below DB can’t speak for prior to 2017. Even then Bandai doesn’t do breakdowns based on regions only domestic and international as a whole? Unless your talking about unofficially licensed stuff.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:56 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:43 am

Plus smaller and more segmented markets, so you won't make much money on merch unless you are universally huge IP, which Dragon Ball is not in terms of merch for the last 10+ years, being dethroned by Naruto and with saturday cartoon block being dead for around the same time

Ummm is there a source for that are you making up BS as usual?

Naruto’s merch sales for the past 5 years has been way below DB can’t speak for prior to 2017. Even then Bandai doesn’t do breakdowns based on regions only domestic and international as a whole? Unless your talking about unofficially licensed stuff.
For what? For Europe being a segmented market and not a huge player for overseas export as USA is?
Yes I do: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... tv-exports

That in case of mainstream manga/anime, Naruto and Pokémon are the most popular in Europe, yes I do:
https://diamondlobby.com/geeky-stuff/mo ... ar-anime/ We can discuss the metrics, we already did before, but Pokémon rules here, you can run into Pokémon merch everywhere from tobacco stands, market up to toy and game stores. No contest here.
Naruto is now for many people anime they grew up on, the Dragon Ball generation comes second, that's the people like me, past their 30s.

DB Super relied heavily on nostalgia here, ran on dedicated (anime and kids) cable channels outside of major cable TV contrary to the past and there was a product line made for Europe, mostly kids, which wasn't really succesful: https://www.bandai.com/brands/dragon-ba ... er-series/

And then you have anime fans here, which are harder to measure, based on various streaming services data. You will get completely different outputs from them than the wider public.

For the percentage by how much the markets contribute on example of Bandai Namco, Europe again is the lowest. So you can take that the majority of polls, info and data will be based on Japan and US: https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/ir/ ... ment_2.pdf

Where is the BS then? Please, mind your manners.

You can connect the bits and pieces fairly easily, by checking data and basically, living here.
And the reason why I bring these points up is, that people from Europe live in different world than the US and Japan in terms of anime and manga and the DB fan's bias about Dragon Ball being huge series - more than a decade ago - doesn't hold up here.

In Japan, anime is tied a lot with the merchandise, in Europe anime is the main product.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pm

Someone new joined my team at work so I ordered pizza for lunch. I put in the notes for the order as always "Write favorite anime on box" to my surprise they wrote "Dragon Ball Super!" So that's at least one other person waiting for a sequel announcement, :lol:.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:52 pm
Noah wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:58 pm So the whole web series stuff was nothing but a rumor, right? :lol:

I don't know why people are still hopeful we might get a new animated series as even though Toei knows this could be good ($$$) for them, they don't want to put effort in something that is still doing all right in the charts. They will keep doing movies once in a while and that's it.
We will get a new anime. If it's Web or just TV anime I don't know. But it's true once gain some leakers were proven wrong. There was no announcement in late November/early December like some were saying.
We've been on this talk for the last 4 years and yet nothing. Sure we can a get web series or whatever, but you guys really think it would be the same as a new series? It sounds similar to SDBH promotional anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:34 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:28 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:52 pm
Noah wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:58 pm So the whole web series stuff was nothing but a rumor, right? :lol:

I don't know why people are still hopeful we might get a new animated series as even though Toei knows this could be good ($$$) for them, they don't want to put effort in something that is still doing all right in the charts. They will keep doing movies once in a while and that's it.
We will get a new anime. If it's Web or just TV anime I don't know. But it's true once gain some leakers were proven wrong. There was no announcement in late November/early December like some were saying.
We've been on this talk for the last 4 years and yet nothing. Sure we can a get web series or whatever, but you guys really think it would be the same as a new series? It sounds similar to SDBH promotional anime.
It depends on the staff.

Toei did a Kamen Rider web series for Amazon in 2022 and it was bigger budget and more creatively ambitious than anything Rider has ever done.

Web series does not poor quality make.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:34 pm

Sorry but I'm having a totally lost moment here.
I couldn't find someone talking about this here, so I'll do it.
I live in Brazil, can't remember if it was in December or in late November, but I saw the social media of "Kami Sama Explorer" (which is the country's biggest source of dragon ball content) posting about a leak saying that animators & character designers Naohiro Shintani (DBS Broly) & Chikashi Kubota (DBS Super Hero) would work in the new animated production of the series.
I can't remember if they specified which animated prod would be, the new tv series or the web series.
And about them, well I can confirm that they already got stuff wrong some times, but they generally really shares reliable info & genuine facts.
(There's another leak that they shared which said about the official announcement for the new Animated series being made at December 7 or 8, now I can't remember if it said that it "could" or "would" be made)

Has anybody here come across this same info too? Or both?

(Also, before that, I also came across some "info" about a Anime Remake, and it wasn't related to geekdom)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:34 pm Sorry but I'm having a totally lost moment here.
I couldn't find someone talking about this here, so I'll do it.
I live in Brazil, can't remember if it was in December or in late November, but I saw the social media of "Kami Sama Explorer" (which is the country's biggest source of dragon ball content) posting about a leak saying that animators & character designers Naohiro Shintani (DBS Broly) & Chikashi Kubota (DBS Super Hero) would work in the new animated production of the series.
I can't remember if they specified which animated prod would be, the new tv series or the web series.
And about them, well I can confirm that they already got stuff wrong some times, but they generally really shares reliable info & genuine facts.
(There's another leak that they shared which said about the official announcement for the new Animated series being made at December 7 or 8, now I can't remember if it said that it "could" or "would" be made)

Has anybody here come across this same info too? Or both?
Both and so far nothing was officially confirmed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:13 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 pm Both and so far nothing was officially confirmed.
Okay, thanks a bunch.
I definitely should've started to ignore leaks a long time ago
How many leaks about Super's return were already speculated?
From now on, for me all of them aren't necessarily false, but totally unreliable.

I really don't think there will be even a web series anymore.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:40 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:13 am I really don't think there will be even a web series anymore.
I don't know about that, but it's a weird coincidence that a web anime for Sand Land was announced around the time the supposed DB web anime was to be announced... Anyway rule of thumb: Don't be believe in anything until it's officially announced.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.