"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:22 pm They teased the announcement with Red Ribbon logo.
Even if they didn't use Super Hero tag, there was not much to speculate around that.

They aren't troling. They are just bad in reading the room.

We should also keep our expectations low about this web anime. Even if its real we don't know whats gonna be about. According to the "leakers" its not a remake , Heroes or DBS manga arcs, but something new. That can be good or bad...
Anything could be good or bad though, so I don't see what specifically about the project being 'something new' means it could be 'good or bad'.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:55 pm

This was the supposed "Anime return Announcement" that the twitter people were teasing or is this something different? anyone knows what are they saying now?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:55 pm This was the supposed "Anime return Announcement" that the twitter people were teasing or is this something different? anyone knows what are they saying now?
People have been talking about that for a long time, but no, this was just about Super Hero's home release. Some were still clinging to it being a bigger announcement in connection with these leaks.

The problem with all these leaks is they're simultaneously promising a lot without giving anything specific away, other than what they aren't about, so trying to narrow anything it down to anything concrete feels like a fruitless task at the minute. Supposedly, we have both a new anime and a new web anime being produced together, but the latter actually has Toriyama and Shintani's involvement (if I understand correctly) and, despite somehow being privy to that level of detail, the leakers are not spilling the beans as to what these shows are about. They're just saying stuff like "it's not a Dragon Ball remake". Most disciplined leakers I've ever seen, bro.

I have no idea where the whole speculation of a FighterZ adaptation in connection to the Toriyama web series came from, personally I find that one very unlikely. All available information indicates that Toriyama had no involvement in developing that game's storyline, as always he provided the designs for a character, in this case #21, based on the information provided by Arc System Works. While better written than Heroes, FighterZ covers the same fanservice niche with its storyline being an excuse to get all the Z era characters together. I can't imagine they would go out of their way to adapt it now that the game's life cycle is officially over. Android #21's popularity means she's always on the cards to appear, but she'd probably be used in a completely different context.

Regarding the leaks as a whole, I've learned not to naysay, so I'll only say: chance would be a fine thing, a fine thing indeed.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:09 am

To be honest, I’m perfectly fine with just the Manga continuing for now.. Anything else is just extra, animated stuff will get here when it gets here.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 am

Ahahahaha ha hahaha!

But seriously, it’s insane fun in here, how much people jump on the twitter announcements.

Anime with Kubota, Shintani and Toriyama, possible to happen, people convince other people, that obviously it might or will happen… but still a rumor not different from loads of rumors we had since Super ended.

Forget about Jump Festa 23, no Dragon Ball panel there, no teasers, people get hyped up be Red Ribbon army tease before the date of home release of the latest film…

Or were some people expecting them to announce prequel story about Commander Red and Violet?
Beats me
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:33 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 am Ahahahaha ha hahaha!

But seriously, it’s insane fun in here, how much people jump on the twitter announcements.

Anime with Kubota, Shintani and Toriyama, possible to happen, people convince other people, that obviously it might or will happen… but still a rumor not different from loads of rumors we had since Super ended.

Forget about Jump Festa 23, no Dragon Ball panel there, no teasers, people get hyped up be Red Ribbon army tease before the date of home release of the latest film…

Or were some people expecting them to announce prequel story about Commander Red and Violet?
Beats me
For me, I was sure Super Super Hero has been announced.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:46 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 am Or were some people expecting them to announce prequel story about Commander Red and Violet?
I dunno about you, but a prequel to how Red Ribbon was made in the first place would be cool. Perhaps make it about Dr. Gero, since his inventions are shaping the series to this day, especially in DBS.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:02 am

I like the straightforward anime approach to stories in contrast to the western comic book movies or franchises like Star Wars.

Only character I can personally see to get spin-off and be popular is Future Trunks. And he kinda did to some extent with TV special and the DLC in Kakarot.

But outside of that, it’s all about Goku and nowadays, Goku and Vegeta.
Don’t take me wrong, I get people that want to see more of the side characters, different universes and whatever was hinted during the series’ run. But I doubt what fans do wish for will ever happen.
We see instances of this in US, where filmmakers check the fans wishes and hashtags on twitter, TOEI proved from time to time, that they do not care at all, at least for the western audience.

And personally, I wouldn’t care for side characters and prequels. I would watch it, but don’t think that it can work in series like DB.
But here we have fan fiction writers that can make it happen.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:53 pm

I wonder if they're focusing on Goku right now also because Masako Nozawa isn't eternal, focusing on the side characters will be the only option in a (hopefully distant) future, because I can't see them recasting the main character at this point.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:57 pm

I wouldn't mind an anthology series like Pokemon Generations, covering offscreen events.
One episode could cover Dr. Gero's life from the RR saga to the Androids, another Goku vs. Freeza and Cold in the FT timeline, others focusing on Tien, Krillin, and the others

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:32 am

nineko wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:53 pm I wonder if they're focusing on Goku right now also because Masako Nozawa isn't eternal, focusing on the side characters will be the only option in a (hopefully distant) future, because I can't see them recasting the main character at this point.
I'd be shocked if they didn't have replacements for Goku, Bardock, Gohan and Goten should something happen.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:14 am

Maybe, but if they're cynical it would make sense for them to squeeze out as much Goku action as possible while his iconic Seiyū is still around.

With that said, I hope Masako Nozawa can live longer than Muten Roshi and Uranai Baba combined.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:32 am
nineko wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:53 pm I wonder if they're focusing on Goku right now also because Masako Nozawa isn't eternal, focusing on the side characters will be the only option in a (hopefully distant) future, because I can't see them recasting the main character at this point.
I'd be shocked if they didn't have replacements for Goku, Bardock, Gohan and Goten should something happen.
You'd think they would use the small bits of media like Heroes to try out the new voice actors, but they keep using her for every minor thing

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:19 pm

It's likely that a successor is already selected but all of the relevant parties have simply decided to let Nozawa continue to voice her roles as-is until she is no longer able to. I don't agree with the decision but it's where we are.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 am

These discussions about Masako Nozawa are rather ghastly.
We don't know for sure how it works inside TOEI in regards to the topic of actor's health in general,
but based on what we know about Japanese culture and in regards to the late Joji Yanami,
I strongly believe and want to believe that NO, there are no premature plans for Nozawa replacement whatsoever.

We already discussed during the run of Super, how Joji Yanami declined in performance on screen in the Beerus arc
and found out that he has to step down because of health issues and then being replaced by an already established Dragon Ball actor Naoki Tatsuta. With Hiromi Tsuru, it was really unexpected and sad and they had to react on the situation.
But we can see that there is a general respect for the actors in these matters, as Joji Yanami voiced Kaio and narrator as long as he could, even beyond the obvious decline in his performance.

Masako Nozawa is not only a legend in the industry, but a dedicated actress and I am in awe that still, in her age, she is able to go full on with all the characters she voices still. Everyone talks with high respect about her for all she is, that it's hard to believe that they think about her passing. She will simply voice Goku as long as she can and is willing to do.
Sure, there are some vile practices in corporations across the world and Japanese culture has it's own set of problems from our point of view, but this vile narrative and speculating on her demise and who will step up instead is brutally insensitive in my opinion as behind these logos and buildings made of glass, metal and concrete, there are living and breathing people working inside.

What puzzles me is, how fans sometimes treat the people behind the IPs even worse, than the company would do themselves, while proclaiming how are these evil corporations disconnected from the people working for them themselves.
It's like people losing respect for each other, more so online and with the actors, forgetting that they are the same humans we are and under lot of pressure (lot of times thanks to the fans) but with their own set of personal problems.
They are not an asset linked to our favorite IP that we buy, even tho we tend to forget that sometimes.

I really hope that Masako Nozawa goes as strong as she does for a long time and wish her a lot and healthy years of her life to come.
I can't even imagine the day with such a news. More so with recent and unexpected passing of Kevin Conroy, which I still can't get used to, because he was and he IS The Batman for me.

I am sorry if this post sounds pedantic or moralising, it's never my intention or right to judge others, but honestly, I was missing a bit of humanity and non-corporate look in the discussion.
Sure, everyone's time is limited, but it hasn't come yet and Nozawa is Son Goku and his family :)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:10 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:58 am These discussions about Masako Nozawa are rather ghastly.
We don't know for sure how it works inside TOEI in regards to the topic of actor's health in general,
but based on what we know about Japanese culture and in regards to the late Joji Yanami,
I strongly believe and want to believe that NO, there are no premature plans for Nozawa replacement whatsoever.

We already discussed during the run of Super, how Joji Yanami declined in performance on screen in the Beerus arc
and found out that he has to step down because of health issues and then being replaced by an already established Dragon Ball actor Naoki Tatsuta. With Hiromi Tsuru, it was really unexpected and sad and they had to react on the situation.
But we can see that there is a general respect for the actors in these matters, as Joji Yanami voiced Kaio and narrator as long as he could, even beyond the obvious decline in his performance.

Masako Nozawa is not only a legend in the industry, but a dedicated actress and I am in awe that still, in her age, she is able to go full on with all the characters she voices still. Everyone talks with high respect about her for all she is, that it's hard to believe that they think about her passing. She will simply voice Goku as long as she can and is willing to do.
Sure, there are some vile practices in corporations across the world and Japanese culture has it's own set of problems from our point of view, but this vile narrative and speculating on her demise and who will step up instead is brutally insensitive in my opinion as behind these logos and buildings made of glass, metal and concrete, there are living and breathing people working inside.

What puzzles me is, how fans sometimes treat the people behind the IPs even worse, than the company would do themselves, while proclaiming how are these evil corporations disconnected from the people working for them themselves.
It's like people losing respect for each other, more so online and with the actors, forgetting that they are the same humans we are and under lot of pressure (lot of times thanks to the fans) but with their own set of personal problems.
They are not an asset linked to our favorite IP that we buy, even tho we tend to forget that sometimes.

I really hope that Masako Nozawa goes as strong as she does for a long time and wish her a lot and healthy years of her life to come.
I can't even imagine the day with such a news. More so with recent and unexpected passing of Kevin Conroy, which I still can't get used to, because he was and he IS The Batman for me.

I am sorry if this post sounds pedantic or moralising, it's never my intention or right to judge others, but honestly, I was missing a bit of humanity and non-corporate look in the discussion.
Sure, everyone's time is limited, but it hasn't come yet and Nozawa is Son Goku and his family :)
I've yet to see people treat Nozawa in a unrespectful matter here. And if you're referring to me it would just make total sense to have someone lined up. I love and respect her work over anyone else in the va business.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 am

Didn’t meant anyone specifically, nope.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:27 am

Wasn't the rumor that the new web series would be announced on December 7th? I recall someone mentioning that before

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am

BagetaSama wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:27 am Wasn't the rumor that the new web series would be announced on December 7th? I recall someone mentioning that before
The Youtube stream that they announced a week ago, with that RR picture, is on December 7th. Someone stated they -might- give news to the web series in that stream, but nothing else. No leaker confirmed anything.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:16 am

Yh the new stream had nothing.....
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all