"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:29 pm

I hope they don't completely get rid of Trunks & Goten, I want to see Goten interact with Pan as she is his niece

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pm

Shoot, I wasn't expecting this. So just 3 chapters, I guess for a movie preview it shouldn't last much more than that.

I seriously doubt the manga will retell SH taking up much time, like the anime did with BoG and RoF, at least I hope it doesn't.
I'm also expecting it to be from a different POV, like from the students' or from Hedo's, and not a play-by-play of a movie we've already watched, I mean how could a black and white comic improve a well-received, big-budget movie? and also, what for? it'd be a waste of energy, time and resources.
Maybe we'll get Gohan's secret training, and a little more on the new forms. See Broly being taken to Beerus' planet.

I think/hope by chapter 100, we'll be already reading about Black Freeza, EoZ, or whatever comes next.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:57 pm

Realistically how long could the retelling take? BoG was 5 chapters with a smaller (?) page count, but it also skipped over a ton of stuff to add teases for the U6 arc inbetween. Superhero is longer and has more scenarios and more dialogue.

If it's a BoG style retelling, then maybe 4-6 chapters tops. If they intend to do a proper adaptation with extra content, I can see up to 10 or more.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:01 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:57 pm Realistically how long could the retelling take? BoG was 5 chapters with a smaller (?) page count, but it also skipped over a ton of stuff to add teases for the U6 arc inbetween. Superhero is longer and has more scenarios and more dialogue.
I will be surprised and disappointed if it takes more than 5 chapters.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:45 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pmMaybe we'll get Gohan's secret training, and a little more on the new forms. See Broly being taken to Beerus' planet.
Oh yeah. I didn’t even think about this. This retelling is a good opportunity to introduce Broly in the manga.

It’s so strange that Super Hero gets all this attention in the manga, but the Broly film only had like a couple bonus pages referencing it during the Moro arc.

It’s going to be really weird for them to suddenly be like “hey here’s this strong character that we’ve fought before” but we have almost zero context for him in the manga.

A part of me feels like Toyo’s going to skip all the stuff on Beerus’ planet.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pm

That's such a weird decision. Sure, this movie deviates a bit more from the manga than Broly, but it's just on the details. When has Dragon Ball ever cared about small details?
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:54 am My guess is Toyotaro is going to spend the rest of the year retelling the movie.

Not surprised Goten and Trunks' side story was so brief. Hopefully, with the SuperHero retelling, they actually feel like fleshed-out characters, rather than glorified props.

But, yeah, retelling the SuperHero movie has big "we're SERIOUSLY stalling for time until we can up with the next story arc" energy. This is all the more bewildering because I thought Toyotaro took several months off back in the later stages of 2022 precisely because I thought he wanted more time to come up with the next story arc with Toriyama. I guess he and/or Toriyama had writer's block or still need more time to come up with the finer details.
I think if they were really stalling the prequel would've lasted longer. I was expecting it to be at least 5 chapters.
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pm I think/hope by chapter 100, we'll be already reading about Black Freeza, EoZ, or whatever comes next.
This got me thinking... what if they're padding to do something big in Chapter 100?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:20 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pmThis got me thinking... what if they're padding to do something big in Chapter 100?
Arale meets Zeno.

You know you want this to happen.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:23 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:45 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:36 pmMaybe we'll get Gohan's secret training, and a little more on the new forms. See Broly being taken to Beerus' planet.
Oh yeah. I didn’t even think about this. This retelling is a good opportunity to introduce Broly in the manga.

It’s so strange that Super Hero gets all this attention in the manga, but the Broly film only had like a couple bonus pages referencing it during the Moro arc.

It’s going to be really weird for them to suddenly be like “hey here’s this strong character that we’ve fought before” but we have almost zero context for him in the manga.

A part of me feels like Toyo’s going to skip all the stuff on Beerus’ planet.
In 2018, I think Toyotaro was just eager to write his own story (with Toriyama's help), which is why he skipped over the Broly "arc". Whereas now, I get the impression that Toyotaro has been struggling with planning new material and this has been another stop-gap. Everyone accusing this arc of being filler, I'd argue the manga was already being filler'd up during the Granolah arc many months beforehand. While introducing Broly at such a belated point with little context would be slightly bad form, I can forgive this one example because... let's face it, everyone knows Broly, even the most casual of casuals. It also helps that Toyotaro gave him a few small cameo drawings in the Moro arc, as if to leave the door open for a full appearance. It's like introducing Dracula as an enemy in your story, you don't really need to painstakingly detail his entire life story, his name alone sells exactly who he is.

In hindsight, it's weird that we assumed that Toyotaro would write an elaborate prequel arc to a movie and not cover the events of the movie itself. Did we seriously expect him to just leave the threat of Dr. Hedo hanging with only a tiny text box ordering us to see the movie? That would be peak promotional manga energy. Sure, he's skipped out on movie events before, but in those cases, he never foreshadowed them so heavily. Champa and Vados destroying a Freeza Force ship at the tail end of the Beerus arc is the only loose thread I can think of. Anyway, if this arc purely rethreads the events of Super Hero with no strings attached, I may just wait for a collected release. If I already know the exact events that are going down, I'm not exactly gonna be hanging on the edge of my seat for the next chapter ever month.

However, if Toyotaro does a unique spin on it, such as by focusing primarily on Trunks and Goten's perspective of the movie's events, then I'm down for it. After several chapters of setting up Trunks in a protagonist role, continuing that direction would make the most sense compared to jarringly shifting over to Gohan and Piccolo.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:22 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:57 pm Realistically how long could the retelling take? BoG was 5 chapters with a smaller (?) page count, but it also skipped over a ton of stuff to add teases for the U6 arc inbetween. Superhero is longer and has more scenarios and more dialogue.

If it's a BoG style retelling, then maybe 4-6 chapters tops. If they intend to do a proper adaptation with extra content, I can see up to 10 or more.
I can’t see it taking more than four chapters. That seems like about as long as you’d want to run something like this, and it could probably cover all of the film’s content—plus a little extra—in that space.

Maaaaybe five, depending on what gets added.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:01 am

The preview for the next chapter was "The RR army is finally on the move! Can Piccolo stop their ambitions?" so it sounds like it'll cover up to Piccolo finding out about their plan or going undercover at least. It could cover more than that since it's only the preview. I think it'll be 3-4 chapters at most.

I'm excited to see what happens next. I assume it'll remain in Age 783 and leave EoZ for Toriyama's next film. The films always had a timeskip of at least a year.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:09 am

I recently started with the Moro arc (I already watched the anime) and man, I'm really enjoying it.

Moro is a pretty cool villain and it's nice to see Majin Buu in action again. I'm excited to see what happens next.

Flashofsteel

Post by Flashofsteel » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:26 am

Honestly can't wait for this to happen. Seen people saying it won't happen simply to spite :yawn:

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:02 pm

Flashofsteel wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:26 am
Honestly can't wait for this to happen. Seen people saying it won't happen simply to spite :yawn:
Why would they think it wouldn’t happen? Considering how the big threat now is Freeza, and how he wants Broly for himself, it’s all right there for Broly to make his introduction in the manga. Plus it’s now an inevitability considering the retelling.

And if it is for spite, why? Broly (the character) is one of the best things to come from super. I genuinely don’t see why people would hate a version of Broly that is being developed as an actual character. No longer just a raging monsters but someone who can socialize and express many types of emotions.

Super hero made me love him even more.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm

I don't know why they choose to retell Super Hero, but not the Broly movie?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm I don't know why they choose to retell Super Hero, but not the Broly movie?
So much of the movie is just a giant fight though, not sure if I would want to see it retold in manga form honestly, I'd be hoping even the superhero adaptation is told from a different perspective or shines new light on things from Superhero.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:43 am

nineko wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:20 pm
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:13 pmThis got me thinking... what if they're padding to do something big in Chapter 100?
Arale meets Zeno.

You know you want this to happen.
I didn't know I wanted this until now :D
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:56 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm I don't know why they choose to retell Super Hero, but not the Broly movie?
Probably something happened behind the scenes and they still don't have the outline ready for the next arc.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:04 pm

I just think it's bizarre that we're expected to watch Broly between story arcs, but apparently not Super Hero if we're to follow a sequential storyline. I would have been cool with just the former.

Alas, it is what it is. Maybe this adaptation is worth the wait for new material, though now I'm questioning the reason for last year's hiatus to begin with.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:16 am

I think it's because the manga is at a different state currently comparing to 2018.
Back then, the anime was over, the Broly movie came and it did make sense for the manga to do something new to be ahead with the content.
In previous arcs (except parts of the U6 tournament) the manga was always behind.

Now the manga has quite as gap. Two full arcs and more than 10 manga volumes more story comparing to where the anime left off. They clearly have time now to adapt the movie into the manga as well. And no rush for a new arc yet.

If I'd make a guess... The Super Hero arc could go until chapter 99, with a new arc starting from chapter 100 (which comes out around Jump Festa in December). Probably a good way to fill the gap.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:50 am

Did anyone notice there is a "59" under the traffic light in chapter 90 that was not there during the drafts? Could it be teasing something important on 5.9 (9th of May), the Goku day? Saikyou_Devin notes that there seems to bigger announces every two years on the Goku day, and small the following years.

Draft:

Final:

Credits to Saikyou_devin for this theory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tolI7x- ... aikyoDevin