"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:37 pm It's not padding because the DBS manga is not an adaption. The DBS manga IS the "main storyline", even if you happen to be more interested in certain parts than others. For an example of filler in DBS, think of the false Vegeta story added to the DBS anime.

I don't think its really necessary to come up with a new term to describe parts of a story that some people are bored by.
Technically this is an adaptation, more specifically a prequel of material already done.
I'm not predicting the future of these characters, I know what they'll do. That's where my confidence of the impact of such events comes from.

I quite enjoyed the last chapter. I'm not using the word to demean the manga, although I understand the confusion since that's what people usually do. I rather have this than the whole of the last arc!

I must have trouble communicating because I explained my reasons with some detail, offering context and logic to them. Such to not appear as another "hater" who throws buzz words around.

Anyway guess I'll shut up now.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:52 pm

Much of the criticism about filler or the inconsequential nature of this arc applies to everything since the JSAT special. It doesn't matter if the story pretends that the entire universe will explode or not... we know Goku will meet Oob, Gohan's a nerd, Trunks/Goten are weaker than their fathers want them to be, Pan is a promising martial artist, Vegeta will keep trying to surpass Goku, etc. The only difference here is that it's a shorter gap of time between the material, but I don't think that matters, either. We know Trunks and Goten won't defeat CELL MAX or the Gammas, but this story (so far) isn't even really about them trying to gain strength.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:50 pm

batistabus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:52 pm Much of the criticism about filler or the inconsequential nature of this arc applies to everything since the JSAT special. It doesn't matter if the story pretends that the entire universe will explode or not... we know Goku will meet Oob, Gohan's a nerd, Trunks/Goten are weaker than their fathers want them to be, Pan is a promising martial artist, Vegeta will keep trying to surpass Goku, etc. The only difference here is that it's a shorter gap of time between the material, but I don't think that matters, either. We know Trunks and Goten won't defeat CELL MAX or the Gammas, but this story (so far) isn't even really about them trying to gain strength.
Super Hero's post credit scene though... :think:
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 pm

pepd wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pm2. And then you just changed the already refuted "explanation" with "context", that as stablished it's not necessary, and therefore can totally be overlooked. It's entirely possible for one to read the manga without watching those episodes (as many have without needing them). That it fits doesn't make it part of it.
Nothing was refuted. I withdrew the argument only because I'm willing to acknowledge other possible explanations from people. But they're still irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I will take the opportunity to reformulate what I said and to be clear: "The episode is not the only thing explanation for the scene in the manga. Manga-only readers may also have their ideas. But as far as official material goes/is concerned, it is. And it takes priority over "headcanons"". Better?
pepd wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pmI didn't say it is. I was responding to the attempt of extrapolating its validity (that you are doing ones more) into other particular use of terms for your bizarre continuities-validation quest.
What? That I said because Dragon Ball presents different timelines, continuities and dimension, words like "filler" the way people mean it becomes redundant and basically loses its meaning? Far from being a "bizarre quest", as that's already the case. What is really bizarre is still maintaining an outdated view of this matter in these days, especially when dealing with a series as odd as Dragon Ball Super which completely shits on those old notions. Anyway.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:09 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 pm
pepd wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pm2. And then you just changed the already refuted "explanation" with "context", that as stablished it's not necessary, and therefore can totally be overlooked. It's entirely possible for one to read the manga without watching those episodes (as many have without needing them). That it fits doesn't make it part of it.
Nothing was refuted. I withdrew the argument only because I'm willing to acknowledge other possible explanations from people. But they're still irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I will take the opportunity to reformulate what I said and to be clear: "The episode is not the only thing explanation for the scene in the manga. Manga-only readers may also have their ideas. But as far as official material goes/is concerned, it is. And it takes priority over "headcanons"". Better?
pepd wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pmI didn't say it is. I was responding to the attempt of extrapolating its validity (that you are doing ones more) into other particular use of terms for your bizarre continuities-validation quest.
What? That I said because Dragon Ball presents different timelines, continuities and dimension, words like "filler" the way people mean it becomes redundant and basically loses its meaning? Far from being a "bizarre quest", as that's already the case. What is really bizarre is still maintaining an outdated view of this matter in these days, especially when dealing with a series as odd as Dragon Ball Super which completely shits on those old notions. Anyway.
I don't know if better, but is certainly a totally different one. One that redirects the argument to the officiality and continuities discussion, in contrast to the withdrew argument that it is the only explanation and therefore part of the events it explains, that, since it's absolutists, falls apart as soon as one admits there are others.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 pm

LightBing wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm Technically this is an adaptation, more specifically a prequel of material already done.
I'm not predicting the future of these characters, I know what they'll do. That's where my confidence of the impact of such events comes from.

I quite enjoyed the last chapter. I'm not using the word to demean the manga, although I understand the confusion since that's what people usually do. I rather have this than the whole of the last arc!

I must have trouble communicating because I explained my reasons with some detail, offering context and logic to them. Such to not appear as another "hater" who throws buzz words around.
Yes, sorry, I don't assume you're a hater and I apologize if I seem harsh! Sometimes I don't have much time to post so I have to write quickly.

Like with "padding" and "filler", the words "adaptation" and "prequel" are not technically the same thing at all. An adaption is when a story is moved from one medium to another (for example, the recent adaptations of Junji Ito's manga to anime, or even Junji Ito's adaptation of the Frankenstein novel to manga). A prequel is a follow-up to an existing work that is set earlier in time than the original work.

Anyway, that's how these words are usually used, in my experience.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:00 pm

This whole premise is just idiotic that at this point is like beating a dead horse.

Why the hell, Mai needs to be in the same school as Goten and Trunks? Did the writers forgot that she's a 40 years old woman in the body of a teenager? Gosh, I could actually tolerate Mai as Trunks romantic pair if the authors didn't treated her like a new character.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm Love this one from Toyotaro:
Is that Haya Dragon? He has gotten really big!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:19 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:32 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm

Wait what? How is this in any way like "filler"?
Nothing about it feels like it has the same vibe that the other arcs do.
its extremely similar to the beginning of the buu arc what are you talking about
Most of that stuff was pretty much filler too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:48 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:19 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:32 pm

Nothing about it feels like it has the same vibe that the other arcs do.
its extremely similar to the beginning of the buu arc what are you talking about
Most of that stuff was pretty much filler too.
I'm sort of copy & pasting from myself here: It's not filler because the Buu arc was not an adaption. The Buu arc WAS the "main storyline", even if you happen to be more interested in certain parts than others. For an example of filler in Dragon Ball, think of the false Namek story added to the DBZ anime.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:36 pm

It wasn't filler, it was illustrating the current state of affairs after 7 years, why and how Gohan has been slacking off, what are his current interests.

It's only filler if you think DB as solely fights, explosions and nothing else, not even caring about character progression.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:59 pm

It seems that the arc might go into the movie content after Hedo goes to jail. We have yet to see Piccolo & Gohan and apparently this arc will have lots of them in it.

I'm thinking we'll get the Super Hero movie from Goten, Trunks and the other side character's perspective. It'd be better than just retreading the movie.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:08 am

Volume 20 cover:

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mr Perfect Cell

Post by Mr Perfect Cell » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:42 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:59 pm It seems that the arc might go into the movie content after Hedo goes to jail. We have yet to see Piccolo & Gohan and apparently this arc will have lots of them in it.

I'm thinking we'll get the Super Hero movie from Goten, Trunks and the other side character's perspective. It'd be better than just retreading the movie.
Makes sense, i remember they did reference the broly movie in the manga briefly. I'm interested on how this would look.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:20 am

It's confirmed that this manga arc will adapt the movie starting with chapter 91. More retellings. It's 2015 all over again. Holy shit 2015 was 8 years ago what the actual fuck.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:48 am

Time sure flies feeling nostalgic rn
Mostly active on discord.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:53 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:20 am It's confirmed that this manga arc will adapt the movie starting with chapter 91. More retellings. It's 2015 all over again. Holy shit 2015 was 8 years ago what the actual fuck.
Hmm so the prequel was only three chapters. I wonder how long the retelling will be. I suppose we'll get an idea next month depending how much is covered next chapter. We could still get the next arc before the end of the year.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:54 am

My guess is Toyotaro is going to spend the rest of the year retelling the movie.

Not surprised Goten and Trunks' side story was so brief. Hopefully, with the SuperHero retelling, they actually feel like fleshed-out characters, rather than glorified props.

But, yeah, retelling the SuperHero movie has big "we're SERIOUSLY stalling for time until we can up with the next story arc" energy. This is all the more bewildering because I thought Toyotaro took several months off back in the later stages of 2022 precisely because I thought he wanted more time to come up with the next story arc with Toriyama. I guess he and/or Toriyama had writer's block or still need more time to come up with the finer details.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:15 am

Aww shit. I was expecting this prequel to last longer and then just have a quick recap of the movie like Toyo did with DBS Broly. Not really interested in having a retelling for the next months.

Makes me wonder if the hiatus was really just to prepare for the next arc or Toyo also needed a break.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Movie retellings in general are lame as hell, and it's particularly inconsistent in the manga's case since it regularly avoided this pitfall. Don't even ask me what this means for the continuity – are we to assume that Broly happened as-is while disregarding Super Hero?

The only positive I can see coming from this is that it's a good opportunity to improve some of SH's shortcomings (let's be honest, it's far from Toriyama's best Dragon Ball movie) but I don't think that trade-off is worth another year or two of reruns.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:53 pm

So the manga will be retelling the story of Super Hero? Oh come on now…

Well, I still haven’t seen the new film yet ( :oops: ), so I could probably bare it better than the retellings of BoG and RoF.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san