"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:36 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:14 am By the way, is it true that the movie is going to be adapted into a manga? I hope it's a lie, honestly.
I am pretty sure there is not going to be a Super Hero manga adaptation
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:04 am

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 am I understand why some people here are cool with this last chapter, as it finally takes focus away from Goku and Vegeta. And yeah there is potential in an arc that deals with a different perspective of the DB world.

But.....as I was reading this chapter, all I can think of is: Why? Why is the next exciting arc in the DBS franchise essentially one that is just advertising the recent movie. Because honestly, this feels like something you would put out to hype up the movie before its release, not straight the next arc for DBS.

It just points to a bigger issue with this series--there's no real direction for it. No real plot momentum. That was a big problem I had with the previous arc, where it literally jettisoned a potentially interesting character in favor for fan wanking. And while, yeah, I'm willing to wait and see what this story arc has in store, I can't help but be a bit disappointed.
"the DBS franchise"
"No real plot momentum"
We're basically in a sequel that also functions as a midquel to an already written ending est. 1995, is this huge mind-blowing revelation or that there inherently isn't any tension/aren't any real stakes to this "franchise" (which is what it has to work with/around) something you only just realised now or think you're the 1st to do so?

A theory I've seen toyed around with is that Granolah was supposed to wrap up earlier/coinciding with the movie's original release date, but the Toei hack movie delay consequently delayed that & we got like 2-3 filler chapters out of it, though that's just a theory & what we got easily could've been the plan all along.

What we do know is that a smaller scale/non-Goku & Vegeta arc post-Moro & Granolah (or ToP & Broly, just thinking in anime continuity terms) was being discussed even before Super Hero's release (tho we also know Toriyama conceptualised the concept for the movie during Broly & production for it began right after, so that could've just been passed on to Toyo after/during the film's development).
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:36 pm
Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:14 am By the way, is it true that the movie is going to be adapted into a manga? I hope it's a lie, honestly.
I am pretty sure there is not going to be a Super Hero manga adaptation
This arc is ending when Hedo goes to prison before the movie. I'm assuming the most we'll get is Toyo drawing a few pages of Gohan Beast & Orange Piccolo vs Cell Max plus Hedo & the Gammas before he moves along to the next large-scale/action-heavy arc.
dragonballhero wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 am Not going to lie, the fact that this arc doesn't take place AFTER Super Hero has been leaving a weird taste in my mouth. I mean, I would think the fact that Goten and Trunks are superheroes at all would have been inspired by Gamma 2, who I'm pretty sure these two saw sacrifice himself to stop Cell Max, right?
Well, nobody really reacted in the moment when Gamma 2 was limp on the ground post-his big sacrifice besides Orange Piccolo charging in to stop Cell Max from squashing him. And when/after he fades away at the end with Piccolo/Gamma 1/Hedo talking about superheroes, Gotenks was just getting his bearings/shaking off the explosion's impact (sidestepping the issue of him not addressing it). Plus, it's not like they can't be inspired by him (& Gamma 1, who is still alive working at Capsule Corp) post-SH.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:08 pm

Trunks conflict about becoming CEO is so empty and un-Dragon Ball like. It's trying to add dimension to the character when such a thing is out-of-place.
Are we supposed to believe such expectations were put on him by Bulma or his Grandfather? It's not believable.

It's just one of the few things that makes it blatant that the plot was build from the top down.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:08 pm Trunks conflict about becoming CEO is so empty and un-Dragon Ball like. It's trying to add dimension to the character when such a thing is out-of-place.
Are we supposed to believe such expectations were put on him by Bulma or his Grandfather? It's not believable.

It's just one of the few things that makes it blatant that the plot was build from the top down.
In GT, Trunks was the President of Capsule Corp. He did not like the job, this is nothing new.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:10 pm

LightBing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:08 pm Trunks conflict about becoming CEO is so empty and un-Dragon Ball like. It's trying to add dimension to the character when such a thing is out-of-place.

Have you possibly considered that maybe, as the heir to the biggest corporation in the world, the expectations that he will eventually take over (which he does so by GT) would come from those around him (like idk, his teacher & his classmate in the chapter) & not just his family?
And it's not exactly a key conflict, it was 1 page out of 55 in the last chap to establish Trunks' character & segue into the next scene.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:52 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 pm In GT, Trunks was the President of Capsule Corp. He did not like the job, this is nothing new.
I did not remember that. Perhaps it's just a reference.
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:10 pm Have you possibly considered that maybe, as the heir to the biggest corporation in the world, the expectations that he will eventually take over (which he does so by GT) would come from those around him (like idk, his teacher & his classmate in the chapter) & not just his family?
And it's not exactly a key conflict, it was 1 page out of 55 in the last chap to establish Trunks' character & segue into the next scene.
Why would I, the reader, care about those? Specially when the character ditches the friends and doesn't respect school?

I agree that it probably doesn't matter much. It's likely a reference like it's been made clear to me. I barely remember GT.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:49 am

LightBing wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:52 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 pm In GT, Trunks was the President of Capsule Corp. He did not like the job, this is nothing new.
I did not remember that. Perhaps it's just a reference.
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:10 pm Have you possibly considered that maybe, as the heir to the biggest corporation in the world, the expectations that he will eventually take over (which he does so by GT) would come from those around him (like idk, his teacher & his classmate in the chapter) & not just his family?
Why would I, the reader, care about those? Specially when the character ditches the friends and doesn't respect school?

I agree that it probably doesn't matter much. It's likely a reference like it's been made clear to me. I barely remember GT.
I mean, you cared enough to complain about it originally lol
Plus yeah, it's not that deep beyond characterisation for present Trunks.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:14 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:49 am I mean, you cared enough to complain about it originally lol
Plus yeah, it's not that deep beyond characterisation for present Trunks.
You misunderstand.
The story tells me Trunks doesn't care, therefore I don't care. Had the conflict been offered by someone like Bulma or Goten, people we know Trunks cares about their opinions, then it would be worth something.

However, based on the characters personalities so far and the overall trend of Dragon Ball, such weight wouldn't be put upon Trunks by them bar new facts.
So the story just threw meaningless fluff, which like you and Bardock God of Time pointed out is likely a reference to GT. It's only point is reference without value, something fairly common in this manga.

In isolation it's not a big deal like we all kind of agree. My criticism is that it's a trend of an overall bigger problem, which honestly I don't expect to improve with further chapters. Anyway we'll shall see.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 pm

This entire arc feels like filler. They are probably doing this while Toriyama is writing a new story arc in the meantime.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm

Love this one from Toyotaro:

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:09 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm Love this one from Toyotaro:

Funny thing is, going by Toyotaro's words, it seems as though Icarus wouldn't be off the table for modern DB.

Specifically, he states that if Icarus were to ever appear in a future, modern DB-era story, he most likely wouldn't be anywhere near as big as he appears here.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:17 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:09 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm Love this one from Toyotaro:
Funny thing is, going by Toyotaro's words, it seems as though Icarus wouldn't be off the table for modern DB.

Specifically, he states that if Icarus were to ever appear in a future, modern DB-era story, he most likely wouldn't be anywhere near as big as he appears here.
I could see the dragon making an appearance in Heroes at some point. Toyotaro isn't really involved with that, although he did design Shiirasu('s first form). That said, the Heroes team could certainly take inspiration from this drawing or even request a full character design from Toyotaro (or go a completely different direction, as Toyotaro noted).

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:42 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:09 pm Funny thing is, going by Toyotaro's words, it seems as though Icarus wouldn't be off the table for modern DB.

I think that’s how he feels about most non-canon characters he draws. There’s always something like “Wouldn’t it be cool if this guy appeared” or “That’s what I imagine happened with that guy”. It’s pretty funny to see him put on his fan shoes, specially because it’s where he came from.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 pm This entire arc feels like filler. They are probably doing this while Toriyama is writing a new story arc in the meantime.
Wait what? How is this in any way like "filler"?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:32 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 pm This entire arc feels like filler. They are probably doing this while Toriyama is writing a new story arc in the meantime.
It's just a prologue to the events of Super Hero. Nothing about it feels like it has the same vibe that the other arcs do.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:41 pm

Being unlike the other arcs is a plus. Seeing Trunks and Goten in a different kind of story is fun, as is seeing these new characters interact.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:19 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:32 pm
Nothing about it feels like it has the same vibe that the other arcs do.
its extremely similar to the beginning of the buu arc what are you talking about

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 am

If Super Hero does get a manga treatment, then I can only picture it getting 3 maybe 4 chapters to tell. If it doesn't, it will probably get a page mentioned like Broly did between TOP and Moro.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:28 am

It's pretty much the definition of filler. It ignored the cliffhanger and consequences of the previous arc to focus on secondary characters of the next "arc" aka the movie.
So far nothing shown offers any additional context or value to the movie.

Being filler isn't an insult, it's nice to see other characters get some development.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:18 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 am If Super Hero does get a manga treatment, then I can only picture it getting 3 maybe 4 chapters to tell. If it doesn't, it will probably get a page mentioned like Broly did between TOP and Moro.
I'm thinking maybe we'll get a post-movie chapter with Goten & Trunks reflecting on the movies events