Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuakingStar
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by QuakingStar » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:10 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:33 am There's no way around it. Hedo intended for Cell Max's mental program to be complete before he was released. That's explicitly why Hedo opposed Magenta by stating that his mental program was incomplete so he could not be controlled. Magenta and Hedo wanting to control Cell Max does not at all imply that Cell Max would not have been stronger with an unstable mind. The fact that Toriyama's own work is consistent with the idea that control over your power is essential in battle along with the need to clarify that a Completed Cell Max is necessary to overpower Broly should be enough evidence that Cell Max was never at full power.
Cell Max was complete, the MIND CONTROL PROGRAM was not. It's them controling his mind, not he himself controlling his mind, so it would have had no difference on his actual power.

Cell Max's power would not have changed if he was under MIND CONTROL by Hedo and Magenta. He simply would not have been going berserk. That's literally it.

@hugo boss SS4 is entire dimensions of power above GGA. Proof is GGA Baby vs SS4 Goku. The reason being SS4 is a transformation from GGA and not just GGA but shrunk.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 pm

People should understand what Toriyama is saying.

Toriyama clearly said that since Cell Max doesn't have his brain, he can't beat Broly. But if he had a brain, then he would be above Broly.

This shows that the Cell Max seen in the movie would not be able to defeat Broly in a fight, since he wasn't really completed. Only his body was completed, but Cell Max overall was not.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:16 am

QuakingStar wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:10 pm
Goku9001 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:33 am There's no way around it. Hedo intended for Cell Max's mental program to be complete before he was released. That's explicitly why Hedo opposed Magenta by stating that his mental program was incomplete so he could not be controlled. Magenta and Hedo wanting to control Cell Max does not at all imply that Cell Max would not have been stronger with an unstable mind. The fact that Toriyama's own work is consistent with the idea that control over your power is essential in battle along with the need to clarify that a Completed Cell Max is necessary to overpower Broly should be enough evidence that Cell Max was never at full power.
Cell Max was complete, the MIND CONTROL PROGRAM was not. It's them controling his mind, not he himself controlling his mind, so it would have had no difference on his actual power.

Cell Max's power would not have changed if he was under MIND CONTROL by Hedo and Magenta. He simply would not have been going berserk. That's literally it.

@hugo boss SS4 is entire dimensions of power above GGA. Proof is GGA Baby vs SS4 Goku. The reason being SS4 is a transformation from GGA and not just GGA but shrunk.
We understand what you are saying. Cell Max having a stable mind would mean that he isn't a deranged monster. Not being a deranged monster and instead being a creature with clarity of mind would allow him to rationalize and make his own choices. That would mean he would have greater control over his actions which would be similar to Broly's case as you've referenced.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:22 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:44 am We aren't talking about Magenta's control over Cell Max.
Yes, we are. That’s what mind control means and that’s the distinction AT is making. He says not even Broly would’ve stopped him and the opposes that by saying Cell became an “uncontrollable monster”

Without being specifically told to kill the Z Fighters, Cell was just attacking the likes of 18 and SSJ Gohan with no serious damage to them. There’s no mention that Cell should have a consciousness of his own anywhere in the movie or AT’s notes, just that the RRA should’ve been able to control him.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:44 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:22 pm
Goku9001 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:44 am We aren't talking about Magenta's control over Cell Max.
Yes, we are. That’s what mind control means and that’s the distinction AT is making. He says not even Broly would’ve stopped him and the opposes that by saying Cell became an “uncontrollable monster”

Without being specifically told to kill the Z Fighters, Cell was just attacking the likes of 18 and SSJ Gohan with no serious damage to them. There’s no mention that Cell should have a consciousness of his own anywhere in the movie or AT’s notes, just that the RRA should’ve been able to control him.
Yes. He would not be an uncontrollable monster otherwise which suggests that Cell Max would have a mind of his own. Since he did not, he had no control over his actions.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:12 pm

Toriyama did say if Cell Max was completed according to plan, he would of been a "superhuman" that Broly couldn't even defeat. But instead became an "uncontrollable monster." Then says Cell Max just rampages around screaming.

Seems to me Toriyama is talking about the mind control program bringing Cell Max more human like [conscious intelligence]. Instead with the incomplete product we got a monster out of control.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm

All of this talk about Cell max and Broly is interesting, as Broly himself was a raging monster who had no real rational thought behind his rampaging power.

And seeing as how Broly hasn't learned to fully control his power yet, the comparison might well suggest that Broly is so fearsome in raw power that, even when uncontrollable, Cell Max couldn't be considered superior unless he himself could control his power.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:07 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm All of this talk about Cell max and Broly is interesting, as Broly himself was a raging monster who had no real rational thought behind his rampaging power.

And seeing as how Broly hasn't learned to fully control his power yet, the comparison might well suggest that Broly is so fearsome in raw power that, even when uncontrollable, Cell Max couldn't be considered superior unless he himself could control his power.
Toriyama would likely be referring to current Broly who is learning to control his power, whereas in this case would make him closer to Gogeta and Cell Max would have been closer to what he was like. Either way Gohan Beast no diffed Cell Max, illustrating an astronomical difference between himself and Cell Max in power.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 am

QuakingStar wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:07 am
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm All of this talk about Cell max and Broly is interesting, as Broly himself was a raging monster who had no real rational thought behind his rampaging power.

Toriyama would likely be referring to current Broly who is learning to control his power, whereas in this case would make him closer to Gogeta and Cell Max would have been closer to what he was like. Either way Gohan Beast no diffed Cell Max, illustrating an astronomical difference between himself and Cell Max in power.
Cell Max was considerably weakened though.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:08 am

Would this mean Cell Max is also close to Beerus? I assume the line about Broly wouldn't be retconned since we're only a year before EoZ. It doesn't seem like a lot of room to fit so many characters in that "stronger than some GoDs but may or may not be stronger than Beerus" range unless the gaps have been really small. Assuming they all surpass Belmond like Jiren then it might be Beerus > Jiren, Blue fusions, Broly, UI, UE, FP Moro, Granolah, Gas, Black Freeza, Beast Gohan, Piccolo, Cell Max (order of appearance) > Belmond and the other GoDs

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:20 am

Broly isn't even close to Beerus since a completed Cell Max would defeat Broly. Toriyama only said Broly would lose to such a Cell Max not Beerus. If Toriyama meant for Broly to be Beerus level [in DBS Broly] why didn't he say Broly and Beerus would lose? On top of that, In Super Hero, Beerus is still said to be the most feared in the universe. Broly is in this same universe.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 am

Miracles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:20 amBroly isn't even close to Beerus since a completed Cell Max would defeat Broly. Toriyama only said Broly would lose to such a Cell Max not Beerus. If Toriyama meant for Broly to be Beerus level [in DBS Broly] why didn't he say Broly and Beerus would lose? On top of that, In Super Hero, Beerus is still said to be the most feared in the universe. Broly is in this same universe.
I had Broly weaker than Beerus in that comment. I was trying to get an idea of how far apart they would be. "Isn't even close" could vary in DB from the small gap between Vegeta and Cui or Dodoria to being several times stronger. I assume the antagonists and new transformations that appeared after Jiren are also stronger than Belmond. Could Beerus one shot Belmond? Beerus might be less than twice as strong as Belmond or the weakest GoD while all those other characters mentioned could be within that range.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:20 am Broly isn't even close to Beerus since a completed Cell Max would defeat Broly. Toriyama only said Broly would lose to such a Cell Max not Beerus. If Toriyama meant for Broly to be Beerus level [in DBS Broly] why didn't he say Broly and Beerus would lose? On top of that, In Super Hero, Beerus is still said to be the most feared in the universe. Broly is in this same universe.
I think you have it backwards. If Broly may be stronger than Beerus but would lose to Cell Max, then it stands to reason Beerus would also lose to Cell Max. Broly is the new measuring stick as of now.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:24 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 am

https://i.imgur.com/LDwsBBk.png

No, he was not. attack power is NOT power level. He lost one arm thereby reducing his attack power. It's quite literally shown in the movie. Cell Max's actual power was not weakened and he punched Gohan with the arm that had not been affected, obviously.. and couldn't even make it through Gohan's aura.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:24 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 am

https://i.imgur.com/LDwsBBk.png

No, he was not. attack power is NOT power level. He lost one arm thereby reducing his attack power. It's quite literally shown in the movie. Cell Max's actual power was not weakened and he punched Gohan with the arm that had not been affected, obviously.. and couldn't even make it through Gohan's aura.
But if his attack power dropped, then his power level did as well. If his punch pack the same power as always, then his attack power did not drop, only his number of ways to attack.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:39 am

QuakingStar wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:10 pm @hugo boss SS4 is entire dimensions of power above GGA. Proof is GGA Baby vs SS4 Goku. The reason being SS4 is a transformation from GGA and not just GGA but shrunk.
SS4 literally uses GGA’s power as its basis.

What Goku achieved in Dragon Ball GT is pretty much what Cell Max is lacking here. There is no need to overanalize this matter.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:51 am

Attack power is not power level, otherwise Goku's power level would have been 924 vs Raditz which is what his Kamehameha registered as, instead of 416 which was his actual power level. We also have the fact that some people are physically stronger than what their power level would suggest to begin with. or more durable than what their power level would suggest. Tagoma and the guy in the Moro arc are two examples. Cell Max's power itself never dropped, only his attack power.

Super Saiyan 4 does use GGA's power, but then it adds on the users potential. The literal actual proof is SS4 Goku vs GGA Baby Vegeta. Just SS Baby Vegeta alone was stronger than SS3 Goku. The power gap created after that with SB1 and the SB2 would make it impossible for GGA to equal SS4 in power, there is no other option other than SS4 is far beyong GGA in power.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:06 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:33 pm
Miracles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:20 am Broly isn't even close to Beerus since a completed Cell Max would defeat Broly. Toriyama only said Broly would lose to such a Cell Max not Beerus. If Toriyama meant for Broly to be Beerus level [in DBS Broly] why didn't he say Broly and Beerus would lose? On top of that, In Super Hero, Beerus is still said to be the most feared in the universe. Broly is in this same universe.
I think you have it backwards. If Broly may be stronger than Beerus but would lose to Cell Max, then it stands to reason Beerus would also lose to Cell Max. Broly is the new measuring stick as of now.
Not when Super Hero has it said that Beerus is said to be the most fearsome in the universe.
Skar wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:25 am
Miracles wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:20 amBroly isn't even close to Beerus since a completed Cell Max would defeat Broly. Toriyama only said Broly would lose to such a Cell Max not Beerus. If Toriyama meant for Broly to be Beerus level [in DBS Broly] why didn't he say Broly and Beerus would lose? On top of that, In Super Hero, Beerus is still said to be the most feared in the universe. Broly is in this same universe.
I had Broly weaker than Beerus in that comment. I was trying to get an idea of how far apart they would be. "Isn't even close" could vary in DB from the small gap between Vegeta and Cui or Dodoria to being several times stronger. I assume the antagonists and new transformations that appeared after Jiren are also stronger than Belmond. Could Beerus one shot Belmond? Beerus might be less than twice as strong as Belmond or the weakest GoD while all those other characters mentioned could be within that range.
According to the manga, Sidra "saved" Belmond from a Beerus hand blast.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:25 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:06 am Not when Super Hero has it said that Beerus is said to be the most fearsome in the universe.
Oh really? When was that said? That would be a huge help in understanding Toriyama's thought process.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:43 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:06 amAccording to the manga, Sidra "saved" Belmond from a Beerus hand blast.
That doesn't tell us much since they all seemed to be relatively close. The gap between Beerus and Belmond should be less than Vegeta vs Cui since that blast likely wouldn't have killed them and only knocked them out. Broly being close to Beerus could still work if he was intended to be stronger than some of those GoDs. I recall your argument was that Beerus would keep getting retconned to be the strongest until the end. It would make sense the gap between them gets smaller and smaller as we get closer to that ending.