Worst Dragon Ball Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Worst Dragon Ball Saga?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Made in light of people here going on and on about how the Cell Saga sucks. Man oh man if thatdbzguy were here.

Which is truly the worst saga to you?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Worst Dragon Ball Saga?

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Are we including GT? Well I won't for now.

The worst...the Pilaf arc thought mainly for the second half. The Red Ribbon Army saga which was kinda boring and....the Garlic Jr saga if we're including that I suppose.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:59 pm

The least interesting for me is the 21st Budokai. Most of the fighters were just gimmicks, and the final showdown between Goku and Roshi was mostly trading off special moves.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Super 17 saga to me. Everything about it was terrible. It felt like that they where pulling ideas out of a hat.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Dragon Ball - Pilaf saga. It's not terrible by any means; it's cute and has some funny moments, but the series just progressively became much, much better after this point.

Dragon Ball Z - Buu saga. The starting point of this series' regression. Ugh. A pansy teen Gohan, kid SSJs, making SSJ2 a thing, Gotenks and Vegito antics, Fat Buu's appearance, etc. Storywise, there was never even really a threat, so the entire thing feels padded beyond belief. The highlight of the saga was the part they pulled out of their ass: Kid Buu arc. Everything was a mess there, but the execution was so good, it was really enjoyable. Despite everything though, I liked the villain a lot.

Dragon Ball GT - Blackstar Dragon Ball or Bebi saga. I have a very biased perspective on this series because I never watched the Japanese version, and the dub happens to be really, really bad. That said, I found the sagas I mentioned boring as ****. I actually LIKE the Super 17 saga. Why? It's short! It may be like a horrible fanfic with terrible concepts all over, but it's short and pretty entertaining for what it is. The Shadow Dragon saga was like a poorly executed nostalgia trip, but it was okay. The first two sagas though, I can't make it passed them.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:07 am

In Z, I recall really disliking the Buu saga due to the general randomness and numerous powerups. There were like 6 Buu forms, the various fusions, SS3, Majin, and even Gohan's ultimate form (which was wasted). It was just too much for me, and seemed to go on forever.

In Dragon Ball, the only saga I didn't love was Pilaf's. Not because there was anything really wrong with it. Just that I liked seeing the world and story expanded in arcs afterward.
Last edited by Man-Child on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 am

The way things are now I'm gonna have to go with the Battle of Gods saga.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

NintendoFan28

Post by NintendoFan28 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:59 am

Dragon Ball: I enjoyed every single arc.

Dragon Ball Z: The Android/Cell and Fusion Arc: I thought Androids were pretty terrible as villains. For the Cell Arc, Imperfect Cell is possibly one of my favorite villains in the series, so the Imperfect Cell Arc was great. Once Cell absorb 17, I feel like everything just dragged on until Goku fought Perfect Cell. Not a fan of Perfect Cell, but I must admit, his design is kick ass. Gohan transforming was good, as well as Future Trunks killing Android 17 & 18, and Imperfect Cell in his timeline. Other than the positives, this is my least favorite arc as a whole.
The Fusion Arc to me is what brought the Boo Arc. It was all over the place. Good Boo expels Pure Evil Boo, and they fight. Pure Evil Boo eats Good Boo, and transforms into Super Boo. Super Boo is shown not to be played with, by flying down a guy's throat, wiping out all humanity, and turning Chi-Chi into an egg and killing her. All that's great. However, when Super Boo starts fighting Gotenks, that's when it went downhill. Gotenks kicks Super Boo ass, then defuses. Gohan shows up, and gives Boo a bigger ass kicking. Boo blows himself up, and reappears and absorbs Gotenks and Piccolo, and kicks Gohan' ass. Goku shows up with magical earrings to fuse Gohan. Boo defuses, and absorbs Gohan leaving Goku without a partner to fuse with. Vegeta shows up, and fuses with Goku forming Vegito. Vegito gives Ultimate Boo the beating of his life (even as a piece candy). Boo absorbs Vegito causing him to defuse inside of Boo's body. Goku and Vegeta removes everyone from Super Boo's body, causing him to transform into Pure Boo.

Dragon Ball GT: Super 17 Arc: Was a terrible and truly unnecessary arc. I feel like they could have introduced another villain instead.
Last edited by NintendoFan28 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:59 am

I don't think any of the major sagas were bad at all, they all had their good points.

If we're talking about smaller story arcs, then I'd probably have to say Baba's tournament. I loved seeing Goku meet his Grandfather again but other than that the monster fights were too drawn out and tedious. Although Yamcha Vs. Invisible man was amusing for obvious reasons.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 am

If we're including then GT then the Baby saga was easily the worst. Pan made the saga insufferable. There were those stupid dancing brothers and so much other garbage. The Super 17 saga was a hell of a lot better than that.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:55 am

The only arc in the series that I actively do not enjoy is the Second Hunt For the Dragon Balls AKA Red Ribbon Army arc. The anime adaption was just so boring with so much filler.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:21 am

There are portions of the series that hold my attention better than others, but the latter half of the Cell arc is the only stretch I find myself really not enjoying in any medium. Even then, it's probably more accurate to say it just holds my interest the least.

That's including GT. Super's opening arc will need a rewatch before I can really say; so far I've run really hot and really cold on it.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 am

I want to defend the RRA saga but this thread doesn't seem appropriate to do that.

Anyway, filler saga's are easily the worst but from the main story I honestly don't think there's a saga that's bad.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:17 am

Super 17, without a doubt.

If we're excluding GT from this, either the Boo arc or the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. I think the Boo arc was more sloppily written, even if I prefer it to the 22nd TB, so I'll pick that one. The 22nd TB is definitely my least favorite arc out of the manga, though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:37 am

The Cell Saga is the worst written but I've got a special place in my heart for the BoG Saga.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:37 am

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:The least interesting for me is the 21st Budokai. Most of the fighters were just gimmicks, and the final showdown between Goku and Roshi was mostly trading off special moves.
I sorta agree with this. The 21st Budokai pales in comparison to the other two, but it was a good way to start things off.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:17 am

Do you mean saga or arc? Because cell had a few sagas and a arc I you wanna throw all of cell's story together into one.

Worst saga in the trilogy-Great Saiyaman.
Worst saga in Z-Great Saiyaman
Ball-Saga of Goku
GT-Black star Dragonball hunt in space saga
Worst saga in all of the 5 shows-Battle of gods from super.

I like all the sagas I named, they're just weakest links in the franchise.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

Cell saga, its not filler but it might as well be because nobody makes the smart quick decisions that would actually move the plot faster.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:42 am

The Buu Saga and the Black Star saga. If GT didn't have that saga, I think the series wouldn't have had a bad reputation since most of the villains(Baby to end) were well liked in general.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Made in light of people here going on and on about how the Cell Saga sucks.
Kanzenshuu= "Cell Saga sucks!

Everyone else = "Buu Saga sucks!"
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 pm

I realised that negative energy and hatred for certain parts of the series suck, so i decided that i like every arc, and GT, and even ....... BROLY. I converted to the japanese version recently (best decision ever!!!), so even the less enjoyable things are cool now.
The Cell Arc is my least favorite arc, but i like and enjoy all of Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.