"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:57 pm

SuperSunnyDee wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:58 pm I’ve lost almost all interest in XV2. I haven’t played it in years and nothing they’ve added since has encouraged me to play again. It’s a shame because the basic concept of the series is so full of potential that they are just not living up to for reasons I can’t begin to imagine. I mean, changing costume colors sound so basic, and you can do it—for NON-original characters. I just don’t understand.

And really, at this point if XV3 isn’t a major overhaul I probably wouldn’t invest in that. I don’t want this to sound like a hate post. I enjoyed XV1 and 2. I just wanna say I’m kind of in the same boat as you, and have gotten kinda seasick as a result for being on it for so long. Lol
A lot of time customization on original characters is something a license holder dictates. Over the last decade or so, WB and DC have been pretty open about full customization, While Marvel has been a lot stricter.

The Xenoverses have been a very particular type of game. You partake in old battles but with a TWIST. Any sequel would just be the same but different twisted scenerios from the first two ... hopefully.

The only thing I hope for, is that being that we have all the characters, all the locations, and all the VAs, give me a straight forward retelling of everything. I'd even accept it if most of it were just text and not voiced.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:12 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:14 pm That's the problem, as the initial concept of Xenoverse is flawed to begin with. The only transformation you get is hair swap for Saiyans, but for characters that change body size, they are separate characters. Basically, the whole roster is made in the same customizable way your CAC is, with just Buu and Namekian swapping models and sizes, but everyone else is recolor.
Even for Saiyans, the only hair change is color. Period. The only state that changes the hair at all is SS3, and it's the same SS3 hair for every character, male and female, regardless of which hair style you've chosen. I made this point years ago, that Dragonball Online had transformable hair for every hair style. How is it that over a decade later they haven't been able to do better? That it takes the Fan Modding Community to give people what they want. Which they have been doing for years and is really the only reason to get it on PC.
My most favorite thing were the transformations in Raging Blast series. Like Cooler for example.
Xenoverse got a huge following for basically just making your unique character, but everything else for me is stepdown from Raging Blast series... from character models, transformations but even the combat system and that the game are basically avatars with separate roster of attacks that can be assigned to anyone and costumes. And that's it!
A valid point that many people point out is that the characters have locked customization in roster because they are basically a story mode NPCs and one of the strongest features of this game would have been a huge what if customization option, where you could assign everything to anyone.
Wasn't it in RB2 where you could set the combat skills not just for each character, but each transformation they had as well? Which allowed you to vary your attack options and patterns in battle by just adjusting which form you were using. Something which would've greatly benefited players in XV as well. Especially Freeza Race CaC's since it could've been used to give them Transformation Sequences by utilizing the different race outfits and allowing them to set the head/body type options for each form. Instead we only get Golden Form which looks horrendous with some race outfits since it doesn't change the color of certain ones. So you could have the purple/gold color scheme for much of it, then have bright teal arms and legs that look utterly out of place with it.
Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:57 pm The Xenoverses have been a very particular type of game. You partake in old battles but with a TWIST. Any sequel would just be the same but different twisted scenerios from the first two ... hopefully.

The only thing I hope for, is that being that we have all the characters, all the locations, and all the VAs, give me a straight forward retelling of everything. I'd even accept it if most of it were just text and not voiced.
Any proper sequel should push to have more of an original story that the previous installment. The bit about correcting some parts of history should just be the intro to how it all works. It should then veer from that into what giving people the power to change and alter history does to them. It was barely touched upon in XV2 when Trunks broke protocol and went to save Future Gohan, which would've caused a deviation in the timeline. An event in his life that he should've moved on from. But having the ability to "correct" history can invariably corrupt people.

Hence I didn't want to just see Fu and a revived Towa and Mira leading the Time Breakers in their own personal efforts in a sequel. But a 3rd faction made up of former Time Patrollers who stole the ships and resources to try and "correct" all of history itself. To wipe out all forms of evil across time and space before it ever manifests. Like, what would happen if Freeza was killed before destroying Planet Vegeta? Well, all the Saiyans are spared their fate and, thanks to DB Minus and DBS Broly, Bardock would retrieve Kakarot from Earth and raise him as a Saiyan. Good, right? Well no, since King Vegeta would then have free reign to begin conquering planets and- oh wait,no, because King Cold is still around. Thus you need to kill him too. And then you'd have to kill King Vegeta because of his ambitions. But wait, the Saiyans are an aggressive warrior race who would go in search of conquest and battle with or without King Vegeta. I guess Beerus was right and all the Saiyans gotta get genocided like Freeza initially intended.

You can see how insane and complex things can get from just making one decision on how a story would play out if you changed just one thing. If you have this, then you'd now have the Patrollers working to stop the Breakers and this splinter group of righteous Correctors, all fighting for different reasons and purposes. Not only that, but it'd be nice if Players could then choose a Faction to perform missions for. Hell, they could bring in Aios from SDBH as the one backing the Correctors in an effort to create a singular, perfect timeline without evil.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:33 pm

I doubt this is a matter of "doing better". You forgot to mention that Dragon Ball Online had hair change because it has way less options of hairstyles. That's more likely why transforming into Super Saiyan won't change it in Xenoverse. They would have to do Super Saiyan hairstyles for each and every base hairstyle. On top of that, they would have to do most of them spikier for Super Saiyan 2 (I think there are some that wouldn't change much and there are a few which would change drastically, like Caulifla's Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2). It's a lot of work to do, so it is understandable why there is no change. Since they went for a lot of base hairstyles, unique Super Saiyan hairstyles was/had to be sacrificed. If we had unique Super Saiyan hairstyles, there would have been way less options for base hairstyles.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:53 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:33 pm I doubt this is a matter of "doing better". You forgot to mention that Dragon Ball Online had hair change because it has way less options of hairstyles. That's more likely why transforming into Super Saiyan won't change it in Xenoverse. They would have to do Super Saiyan hairstyles for each and every base hairstyle. On top of that, they would have to do most of them spikier for Super Saiyan 2 (I think there are some that wouldn't change much and there are a few which would change drastically, like Caulifla's Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2). It's a lot of work to do, so it is understandable why there is no change. Since they went for a lot of base hairstyles, unique Super Saiyan hairstyles was/had to be sacrificed. If we had unique Super Saiyan hairstyles, there would have been way less options for base hairstyles.
There really aren't that many base styles for Saiyans overall and that's just an excuse. It's too much work? How much more work is it to throw out a DLC pack every 6mo with separate character models and several new or reworked special attacks? Never mind the Head Wigs that get added. It's an aesthetic of the game that needs to be added. Forget upgrading graphics. There's going to be a hard ceiling on how high you can polish the graphics and a limit to how many people with machines that can support them. Adding transformable hair would be a bit of work, but it'd be worth it since it's something the fans and community wants and would bring more interest back into these games.

On top of all that, we can't forget that the majority of the work for XV2 was already done thanks to XV1. Reused stages and assets galore that they just had to rework into the Unreal Engine, which is much easier to work with that retooling and fixing their own from the first game. There's no excuse not to have these things added as part of the base game. Especially not now since they're trying to stretch out XV2's life cycle by force. It's been on for 6yrs with no sign of a third installment in sight. They slapped in SSB, SSBE and SSG, which amounted to nothing more than color changes and short animations. It's the definition of low-effort.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Zelvin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:53 pm
There really aren't that many base styles for Saiyans overall and that's just an excuse. It's too much work? How much more work is it to throw out a DLC pack every 6mo with separate character models and several new or reworked special attacks? Never mind the Head Wigs that get added. It's an aesthetic of the game that needs to be added. Forget upgrading graphics. There's going to be a hard ceiling on how high you can polish the graphics and a limit to how many people with machines that can support them. Adding transformable hair would be a bit of work, but it'd be worth it since it's something the fans and community wants and would bring more interest back into these games.

On top of all that, we can't forget that the majority of the work for XV2 was already done thanks to XV1. Reused stages and assets galore that they just had to rework into the Unreal Engine, which is much easier to work with that retooling and fixing their own from the first game. There's no excuse not to have these things added as part of the base game. Especially not now since they're trying to stretch out XV2's life cycle by force. It's been on for 6yrs with no sign of a third installment in sight. They slapped in SSB, SSBE and SSG, which amounted to nothing more than color changes and short animations. It's the definition of low-effort.
And you're saying these changes would drive even more sales for the game, more so that higher rez, frame rate, load times. Cuz you're the only one I've seen complain about The Hair, and most gamers are concerned about game performance.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:35 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:30 pm And you're saying these changes would drive even more sales for the game, more so that higher rez, frame rate, load times. Cuz you're the only one I've seen complain about The Hair, and most gamers are concerned about game performance.
Do you know what affects your performance? It's not just the game. Your console and TV affects these things. Or if you're a PC gamer, your graphics card, processor, monitor, internet connection and provider, RAM, etc. You can give the game the highest settings possible and the number of people who could actually utilize them would be considerably few. Most people can't front the 4, 5, 8 thousand dollars needed to build a gaming rig that can play these games at peak setting and performance.

And ignoring that, things like load issues have to do with how games are made nowadays. Ever since we started having multi-core processors, programs were being made specifically to split performance between two or more of them, supposedly to reduce the burden on these processing cores. Which in fact causes more issues with these programs than not since now more time is being spent with these programs communicating between each processor instead of being handled internally in one.

But here's a funny thing about load times. You know what games like Budokai and Tenkaichi did to ease the annoyance on players? They turned the Loading Screen into a Minigame so the Player could continue to interact with the game while waiting and continue to enjoy themselves. A simple gimmick that people enjoyed to pass the time between the fights and game events.

I'll state it flat out. You can want better graphics and resolution all you want, but who cares about how pretty the colors look if your character model looks stiff as cardboard and doesn't change when using abilities from a series that is known to alter the characters appearance? It's the little things people notice the most. They put more time and effort into the Hero Coliseum, which is a glorified mini-game within the game itself, that is nothing more than a poor mans imitation of Dragonball Heroes, than they did options for your character models and transformation effects.

And then top that off, they shoved in two completely pointless missions with Oolong, whose sole purpose is to Advertise another game entirely; Dragonball the Breakers. Something I do not give two flying fucks about. I especially don't appreciate the Title Screen for XV2 having "Buy Dragonball the Breakers" right in the corner every time it loads up. It screams of desperation and a lack of integrity.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:18 pm

Zelvin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:35 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:30 pm And you're saying these changes would drive even more sales for the game, more so that higher rez, frame rate, load times. Cuz you're the only one I've seen complain about The Hair, and most gamers are concerned about game performance.
Do you know what affects your performance? It's not just the game. Your console and TV affects these things. Or if you're a PC gamer, your graphics card, processor, monitor, internet connection and provider, RAM, etc. You can give the game the highest settings possible and the number of people who could actually utilize them would be considerably few. Most people can't front the 4, 5, 8 thousand dollars needed to build a gaming rig that can play these games at peak setting and performance.

And ignoring that, things like load issues have to do with how games are made nowadays. Ever since we started having multi-core processors, programs were being made specifically to split performance between two or more of them, supposedly to reduce the burden on these processing cores. Which in fact causes more issues with these programs than not since now more time is being spent with these programs communicating between each processor instead of being handled internally in one.

But here's a funny thing about load times. You know what games like Budokai and Tenkaichi did to ease the annoyance on players? They turned the Loading Screen into a Minigame so the Player could continue to interact with the game while waiting and continue to enjoy themselves. A simple gimmick that people enjoyed to pass the time between the fights and game events.

I'll state it flat out. You can want better graphics and resolution all you want, but who cares about how pretty the colors look if your character model looks stiff as cardboard and doesn't change when using abilities from a series that is known to alter the characters appearance? It's the little things people notice the most. They put more time and effort into the Hero Coliseum, which is a glorified mini-game within the game itself, that is nothing more than a poor mans imitation of Dragonball Heroes, than they did options for your character models and transformation effects.

And then top that off, they shoved in two completely pointless missions with Oolong, whose sole purpose is to Advertise another game entirely; Dragonball the Breakers. Something I do not give two flying fucks about. I especially don't appreciate the Title Screen for XV2 having "Buy Dragonball the Breakers" right in the corner every time it loads up. It screams of desperation and a lack of integrity.
Hmmm, interesting.

I did not know Xenoverse was released on PS360.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:51 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:18 pm Hmmm, interesting.

I did not know Xenoverse was released on PS360.
It was. It's 1 of those games that was being made at the tail end of the 7th gen console life cycles, so it was made for them & given basic ports to the 8th gen consoles at the same time. This is also why I think the game only runs at 30FPS while Xenoverse 2, which came out a year later & wasn't on those consoles, so the devs were more able to take advantage of the hardware & refine how the engine ran so they could double the frame rate on consoles for it. With how much recycled content & assets were in the game to have the quick turn around it did, clearly most of the work went into that. Regardless, it was.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:20 pm

Does anybody else feel like Xenoverse's real time combat takes away the epicness and impact the attacks and transformations have

The way the gameplay is set up doesn't make much sense for a DBZ context, if you get what I'm saying. The attacks that should be huge and eruptive like God Punisher or Big Bang Kamehameha hit like wet noodles compared to how they are in the anime or in other games.

It's the real time combat. You obviously can't have cutscenes in a game like that, it already has enough annoying interruptions, but in my opinion it also gimps the impact the attacks had in the source material.

There are also issues like the low quality textures, low quality particle effects, bad lighting, poor angles, and the explosions. Goes back to what I said about it not capturing the epicness you see in the anime and in other games.

It's an alright fighting game, but I don't really feel the excitement and power I do compared to other Dragon Ball games.

I think the developers for some of the later games feel the same way. Games with similar combat like Legends or fighterZ or Kakarot kind of fix this via the special finishes at the end of the match, but I don't think Xenoverse is going to have that anytime soon.

There are like dozens of mods trying to copy the longer attacks, but it all just looks awkward, which brings me to my follow up question:

Do you think 3, if that ever comes out, is going to fix this?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:31 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:20 pm Do you think 3, if that ever comes out, is going to fix this?
In a word; No. Actually fixing things doesn't make them money. And despite not having 'cutscenes', battles are regularly interrupted by enemy/ally arrivals or revivals, which completely halts all your actions. Even if you're unleashing your Ultimate on an opponent, which disrupts your attack and you still lose all the ki spent on it without doing any damage. It completely, and unnecessarily, interrupts the flow of the game and only benefits enemy NPC's during PT's, Raids and Events.

Another thing I have found galling is charging people $10 just to add the Story Campaign from XV1 into XV2. Something that should've been FREE DLC, especially if you already own and have save data from XV1 on that device. That is just straight up scummy.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:56 pm

DLC includes a brand new stage, Red Ribbon Army Base (Garden)

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1625461167601905664

Mr Perfect Cell

Post by Mr Perfect Cell » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:30 pm

Noice, I was wondering if they were going to make that a stage!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm

Is there any mods that unlock everything from the start? I want to get Xenoverse on sale on Steam soon, but I don't want to grind like I did on the Switch.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm Is there any mods that unlock everything from the start? I want to get Xenoverse on sale on Steam soon, but I don't want to grind like I did on the Switch.
there is a save editor you can get

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:55 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:19 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm Is there any mods that unlock everything from the start? I want to get Xenoverse on sale on Steam soon, but I don't want to grind like I did on the Switch.
there is a save editor you can get
I used that thing once, and it screwed up my character's stats. She's way weaker than she should be now.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRIJjz15Hc

Yellow Piccolo & Beast Gohan Confirmed

CACs get Beast Form

free update releases March 23rd

Xaroc
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xaroc » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:12 am

Alright, Beast is neat, except still for the ridiculously big Hair. So... yeah, I'm never gonna use it. Even tho it's unique Special Combo gives Freeza Race CaCs finally a Stamina Break Combo. But I main a Saiyajin anyway. It's Dragon Ball after all.
Speaking of..
SSJB and SSJBE got Buffs tho. Their Ki Drain has been massively reduced. Now with Vegeta's "Warmed up" Super Soul it completely negates SSJB's Ki Drain (exactly nulled out), so you never run out and detransform. You even recover Ki like in Base using this Super Soul.
SSJBE still drains Ki with it but you also slightly regain some with Combos, so it's much more sustainable. And Fuu's "Experiment" Super Soul completely negates this Ki Drain here as well. Of course only as long as you keep your Health up.
I'm satisfied with this.
PSN: Xaroc__
(playing Xenoverse 2 on PS5)
CaC-Name: Xaroc

交代だ ("Kōtaida")
"My turn." - Roxas, 2019

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:47 am

Beast is a glass cannon. I understand for balance issues, but it does hit like a truck. Both Ki and stamina have good recovery, and high speed. Just gotta watch the damage side of things.

It is cool Blue and Blue E are much more usable now. And Beast being universal is an equalizer. I will say, even on bald human characters, the big hair still appears.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:28 pm

I picked this game up for the first time since late 2016 (near launch, IIRC). All of the new saiyan and other transformations are so neat! IIRC when the game launched you could only go Super Saiyan 1-3. Maybe potential unleashed was also there, but I wasn't good enough or dedicated enough to unlock that back then. lol

Not to be shallow, but I really wish they gave us more hairstyles. Wigs hardly count because they don't transform. I was disappointed to see it was all the same as before. Of course, I could go with mods, but seeing as you're not supposed to play those online, that would cut those off from a lot of gameplay, at least for me. (I tried installing mods yesterday for offline play and somehow failed, oh well. :lol: ) There are some awesome mod hairstyles. So much potential for the developers...