Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cosenza

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Cosenza » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:13 pm

LukZ wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:48 pm I'm trying to make a brazillian portuguese version of Dragon Ball Recut and Kai Recut, my ideia is to sync the brazillian dub and translate the subtitles.
Looking at some old replys in the thread, it looks like Milkman encouraged fans to adapt the project in other languages, so can I do that?
YESSS!!! I'm brazillian too, and I've always wished the dub was available for this!! If you do it, it will be greatly appreciated!!

Clemsi

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Clemsi » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:16 pm

I just finished translating the episode 54 of Dragon Ball Recut in french, which corresponds to the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc !
LukZ wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:11 pm
MistaL wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:16 pm
LukZ wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:48 pm I'm trying to make a brazillian portuguese version of Dragon Ball Recut and Kai Recut, my ideia is to sync the brazillian dub and translate the subtitles.
Looking at some old replys in the thread, it looks like Milkman encouraged fans to adapt the project in other languages, so can I do that?
He hasn't replied in a long time but I mean, this is an edit of a show made by other people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind others contributing to their own localizations of it.
Thank you, so I will continue editing. I'm currently near the end of Pilaf saga, episode 8. But it's just the dub sync, I haven't started to translate the subs yet.
Yes, I remember saying that I would love to watch Dragon Ball Recut with french subtitles, and @IAmTheMilkMan said he encourages fans to create subtitles for the project in different languages because he can't do it himself for various reasons.

@Lukz, I am glad to know that you are translating the subtitles of Dragon Ball Recut too.
I wonder if you are going to retime the subtitles or not.
Having to retime each line one by one with Aegisub is a pain in the ass, but I will do it.
We are in the same boat. :)

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:21 pm

Clemsi wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:16 pm I just finished translating the episode 54 of Dragon Ball Recut in french, which corresponds to the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc !

He hasn't replied in a long time but I mean, this is an edit of a show made by other people, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind others contributing to their own localizations of it.
Thank you, so I will continue editing. I'm currently near the end of Pilaf saga, episode 8. But it's just the dub sync, I haven't started to translate the subs yet.
Yes, I remember saying that I would love to watch Dragon Ball Recut with french subtitles, and @IAmTheMilkMan said he encourages fans to create subtitles for the project in different languages because he can't do it himself for various reasons.

@Lukz, I am glad to know that you are translating the subtitles of Dragon Ball Recut too.
Having to retime each line one by one with Aegisub is a pain in the ass, but I will do it.
Why are you retiming all of them, exactly?

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:54 am

Sometimes the subtitles appear on the screen for too long or they appear too late if you know what I mean.

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 am

Clemsi wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:16 pm I just finished translating the episode 54 of Dragon Ball Recut in french, which corresponds to the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Arc !

Well, I'm doing all of the edits in my cellphone, so there's no Aegisub on it. So, I'll convert all the subtitles to .srt to make them more easy to watch on TVs, because .ass subs doesn't look so good in the TVs. I don't know if I will retime them or not, since I'm editing the audios first.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:03 am

LukZ wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 am

Well, I'm doing all of the edits in my cellphone, so there's no Aegisub on it. So, I'll convert all the subtitles to .srt to make them more easy to watch on TVs, because .ass subs doesn't look so good in the TVs. I don't know if I will retime them or not, since I'm editing the audios first.
I'd really advise against doing it that way and just do it on a PC. SRT will never look better than ASS because of its complete lack of features; if you think ASS looks worse compared to SRT, then you're doing something very wrong with your subtitles. And doing this on a phone is definitely not the way to do it; I can't even fathom why you would attempt it.

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:46 am

MistaL wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:03 am
LukZ wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:15 am

I'd really advise against doing it that way and just do it on a PC. SRT will never look better than ASS because of its complete lack of features; if you think ASS looks worse compared to SRT, then you're doing something very wrong with your subtitles. And doing this on a phone is definitely not the way to do it; I can't even fathom why you would attempt it.
I'm doing it on a phone because it's my only way to do it, I don't have a PC. And I said the .ass subs looks worse only in the TVs, because things like the styles and others just don't look like they were supposed to(my TV is from 2019, so I don't know if still like that in actual TVs). So I will use .srt just because of this, even if it's a worse format.

If I had an PC I surely would make .ass subs too, so people could select the subtitles they want, but at least for now, I will not do it. If I find a solution to do this on my phone, I will do it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm

spin1490 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm Do we have any confirmation milkman is still working on this? Last post from him was over a year ago and it sounded like he was close to being done, and then nothing after that.
He's waiting for SoM to finish their colour correction project before finishing Z and releasing the final version of DB Recut.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Ajay wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm
spin1490 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm Do we have any confirmation milkman is still working on this? Last post from him was over a year ago and it sounded like he was close to being done, and then nothing after that.
He's waiting for SoM to finish their colour correction project before finishing Z and releasing the final version of DB Recut.
Ooh, thank you for the update! I had a feeling that might've been a part of it but didn't wanna speak on his behalf

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:45 pm

@LukZ, If the Avenir Black Font is attached into the MKV, the subtitles should appear on your TV Screen with the Avenir Black Font. :eh:

@Ajay, that's great news !
So if I understand correctly, he will release a V3 of Dragon Ball Recut with the new Broadcast Audio of Team-Mirolo ?

The members of the SoM Team are correcting the colors of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z ?
It's because there is a problem with the colors of the Dragon Box DVD, right ?

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm

Clemsi wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:45 pm @LukZ, If the Avenir Black Font is attached into the MKV, the subtitles should appear on your TV Screen with the Avenir Black Font. :eh:
In my TV they doesn't appear like that, even with the font attached. I think my TV doesn't support .ass subtitles 100%(It's a LG TV from 2019).

Anyway, I've searched and I found a way to edit the subtitles on my phone, so when I start to translate them, they will be in .ass and .srt, everyone wins.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:10 pm

It must be maddening having to redo parts of the project over and over every time an updated, less-crappy version of Dragon Ball gets reconstructed by fans. I guess having bad official releases is just the price we pay for...uh...nothing.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:14 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:10 pm It must be maddening having to redo parts of the project over and over every time an updated, less-crappy version of Dragon Ball gets reconstructed by fans. I guess having bad official releases is just the price we pay for...uh...nothing.
As long as the files sync up the same, he probably doesn't really have to redo much, if anything at all, when a new version is out. It's basically just relinking the files in the editing software.

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:24 pm

Update:: I finished to sync the brazillian Portuguese dub into the first 10 episodes, wich means that Pilaf saga is done! Now, it's time to translate the subtitles, but, before I do it, I need to ask something to the brazillians in this thread(if there's someone):

I'm pretending to make the subtitles more accurate to the original Japanese audio, wich means that some terms will be different from what we hear in the dub, here's some examples:
- Kame Sen'nin and Tsuru Sen'nin will be translated to "Mestre Tartaruga"(Turtle Master) and "Mestre Garça"(Crane Master), my idea was to use "Eremita/Ermitão"(Hermit) just like the original, but "Ermitão Tartaruga" and "Ermitão Garça" sounds kinda strange(for me, at least), so I will mantain "Mestre" just like the dub uses it;
- Technique names like Kamehameha will be mantained in the original, since it's invented words, but technique names like Yamcha's Rogafufu-ken will be translated;
- Kami-sama and Piccolo Daimao will be translated to "Deus"(God) and "Rei Demônio Piccolo"(Demon King Piccolo), now with the proper translation, since their Japanese names were mantained in the dub(probably to evict problems with religious people);

I think this was examples enough for now. What do you guys think about it? I need some feedback before start the translation, suggestions are welcome.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:46 pm

LukZ wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:24 pm I think this was examples enough for now. What do you guys think about it? I need some feedback before start the translation, suggestions are welcome.
I don’t speak Portuguese, so I’m clearly not your target audience for this, but I think your terminology proposals for the subtitles sound reasonable and think it’s really awesome that you’re doing both dub and sub in your language.

Cosenza

Post by Cosenza » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:12 pm

LukZ wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:24 pm I think this was examples enough for now. What do you guys think about it? I need some feedback before start the translation, suggestions are welcome.
I think these are good ideas, and they're completely justified. :thumbup:

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm

Update: Uploaded episodes 1 and 2 to make a test. Can't send the link here because of the forum's rules so if someone wants the link, PM me.

Also, it's taking a long time to edit the subtitles. So, there's some brazillian here interested in help me? This way I can focus only in the audios while somebody else edits the subtitles, so I can finish it earlier.

intrazar

Post by intrazar » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 am

I love this recut. I am a first time dragon ball viewer and this has been fantastic. Thank you MilkMan. Any updates on buu kai recut? No problem if its not possible. :D

LukZ

Post by LukZ » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:57 pm

I was doing some tests here, what do you all think about DBAI Project? I tried to sync the footages before continue to translate the subtitles, and I think it actually looks pretty good.

Cosenza

Post by Cosenza » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:49 pm

LukZ wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:57 pm I was doing some tests here, what do you all think about DBAI Project? I tried to sync the footages before continue to translate the subtitles, and I think it actually looks pretty good.
I think there is some detail loss but it could be interesting if shown to someone who is not used with old animation
LukZ wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:51 pm Also, it's taking a long time to edit the subtitles. So, there's some brazillian here interested in help me? This way I can focus only in the audios while somebody else edits the subtitles, so I can finish it earlier.
Maybe you should search some version of Dragon Ball on the Internet which already has translated subtitles files and just copy them, which would at least save you the translating work (of course, the source would have to be credited)