Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [COMPLETE]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Clemsi

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by Clemsi » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:15 am

Maybe you should search some version of Dragon Ball on the Internet which already has translated subtitles files and just copy them, which would at least save you the translating work (of course, the source would have to be credited)
But if he does that, he will have to synchronize the subtitles.
I think translating the english subtitles is the fastest and easiest way to make Dragon Ball Recut a multi sub release.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Recut [COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Kai Recut [WIP, Saiyan to Cell COMPLETE], Dragon Ball Z Recut [WIP]

Post by MistaL » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:11 pm

Clemsi wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:15 am
Maybe you should search some version of Dragon Ball on the Internet which already has translated subtitles files and just copy them, which would at least save you the translating work (of course, the source would have to be credited)
But if he does that, he will have to synchronize the subtitles.
I think translating the english subtitles is the fastest and easiest way to make Dragon Ball Recut a multi sub release.
I think it'd honestly be faster to just find subtitle files for each episode of Dragon Ball, and copy+paste the text onto Milkman's subtitles so the timing is the same and you get a direct translation from Japanese to your language rather than JP->ENG->whateve

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:25 am

The timing is not the same without the filler scenes. :|

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:41 am

Clemsi wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:25 am The timing is not the same without the filler scenes. :|
Reread what I said. Copy and paste the text of the existing translations over top of Milkman's subtitles. This should be easy in something like Aegisub; just open both subtitle tracks, and copy the text from your language and paste it over the corresponding line in Milkman's subs

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:03 am

Oh, I understand now !
I never tried to do that.
You mean copying and pasting all the lines with the right click ?

But I don't think all the lines are the same in all the subtitle files.

For example :
"Wait, Goku ! I told you to wait !" in the same line but in another subtitle file, it could be separated in two lines "Wait, Goku !" and "I told you to wait !", if you know what I mean.

intrazar

Post by intrazar » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:53 pm

@milkman where are uuuuu

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:09 pm

intrazar wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:53 pm @milkman where are uuuuu
Ajay wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm He's waiting for SoM to finish their colour correction project before finishing Z and releasing the final version of DB Recut.

Cosenza

Post by Cosenza » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:05 pm

MistaL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:11 pm I think it'd honestly be faster to just find subtitle files for each episode of Dragon Ball, and copy+paste the text onto Milkman's subtitles so the timing is the same and you get a direct translation from Japanese to your language rather than JP->ENG->whateve
That's what I thought

GorillaCentral

Post by GorillaCentral » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:00 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:09 pm
Ajay wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm He's waiting for SoM to finish their colour correction project before finishing Z and releasing the final version of DB Recut.
We're getting an updated DB Recut release? The recut we have right now is near-flawless as is, with the exception of the awful filler sections with Goku and Yajirobe that had to be left in. I think that can be edited around to remove those sections entirely. Can't wait for DB Kai recut to be finished, Kai is such an amazing anime, I never grew up with the original DBZ anime an only read the manga recently and Kai is such a better way to experience the story. The pacing in the OG even during manga content is so awkward and drawn out. So MilkMan's edit using uncensored Dragon Box footage is heavenly. Once the whole project is finished I think someone should edit all the OG openings and endins back in, along with all the idents too.

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:00 am

What's SoM recoloring project? Is that being done here?

Can someone PM me a link please, I'm dying to check this out. Thanks.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 am

FeatsofPower wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:00 am What's SoM recoloring project? Is that being done here?
That'd be Seed of Might.
GorillaCentral wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:00 am We're getting an updated DB Recut release? The recut we have right now is near-flawless as is, with the exception of the awful filler sections with Goku and Yajirobe that had to be left in. I think that can be edited around to remove those sections entirely.
I think it's just to replace the footage with the color correction, and you can often just slot that sort of thing right in.

That said, if you're talking about the quest for the choshinsui, I don't think that would be edited at all anyway. Not only does Goku drink it in a totally different location with a specific context, but in the manga it is simply handed to him to justify getting a powerup against King Piccolo. It actually totally makes sense to have Goku undergo some sort of trial and (vaguely) introspection to make it seem like he actually worked for his strength. If you're gonna edit at all, you may as well just remove all reference to it and have Goku arbitrarily become stronger because he took enough damage for the saiyan boost or something.

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:44 pm

Whoa, this SoM stuff is amazing. Thanks.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:09 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:09 pm
Shaddy wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 am
FeatsofPower wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:00 am What's SoM recoloring project? Is that being done here?
That'd be Seed of Might.
The color corrections look impressive. Where did you hear that Milkman was waiting for it to finish?

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:00 pm

I just finished translating the episode 66 of Dragon Ball Recut in french, which corresponds to the end of the Demon King Piccolo Arc !

GorillaCentral

Post by GorillaCentral » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:29 pm

I can't stress enough how amazing of a re-edit DB Kai is, I'm pretty new to anime/manga and general, I read the entirety of the DB manga without ever growing up on DBZ, Kai is such a better translation of the story IMO. I still need to watch the entirety of original Z but the few episodes I've seen have such awkward pacing and a lot of dead air in some scenes, super drawn out and unexciting. That plus the filler would make for a pretty miserable experience after reading the amazing manga. Kai's editing matches the pacing and excitement of the manga so well and Milkman's work uses the Dragon box footage which is amazing, with no censorship or weird digital touch-ups. Can't wait for the Buu saga to be finished. Really hope we eventually get a DBS Kai someday, because the manga is just as amazing as the original but the anime as is really sucks dick.

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:57 pm

GorillaCentral wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:29 pm I can't stress enough how amazing of a re-edit DB Kai is, I'm pretty new to anime/manga and general, I read the entirety of the DB manga without ever growing up on DBZ, Kai is such a better translation of the story IMO. I still need to watch the entirety of original Z but the few episodes I've seen have such awkward pacing and a lot of dead air in some scenes, super drawn out and unexciting. That plus the filler would make for a pretty miserable experience after reading the amazing manga. Kai's editing matches the pacing and excitement of the manga so well and Milkman's work uses the Dragon box footage which is amazing, with no censorship or weird digital touch-ups. Can't wait for the Buu saga to be finished. Really hope we eventually get a DBS Kai someday, because the manga is just as amazing as the original but the anime as is really sucks dick.
That unfortunately is really not gonna happen. While the manga and anime follow basically the same story and share beats? How they get to those beats is completely different for most of the time. Like the only thing you could do feasibly with editing is remove the Resurrection 'F' arc and maybe shorten the BoG arc but everything else? Unless you want to learn about visual editing, potentially creating new scenes and getting people to voice new dialogue? A simple fan-edit to turn the anime into the manga is basically impossible.

GorillaCentral

Post by GorillaCentral » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:18 am

Aspiring-Creator wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:57 pm
GorillaCentral wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:29 pm I can't stress enough how amazing of a re-edit DB Kai is, I'm pretty new to anime/manga and general, I read the entirety of the DB manga without ever growing up on DBZ, Kai is such a better translation of the story IMO. I still need to watch the entirety of original Z but the few episodes I've seen have such awkward pacing and a lot of dead air in some scenes, super drawn out and unexciting. That plus the filler would make for a pretty miserable experience after reading the amazing manga. Kai's editing matches the pacing and excitement of the manga so well and Milkman's work uses the Dragon box footage which is amazing, with no censorship or weird digital touch-ups. Can't wait for the Buu saga to be finished. Really hope we eventually get a DBS Kai someday, because the manga is just as amazing as the original but the anime as is really sucks dick.
That unfortunately is really not gonna happen. While the manga and anime follow basically the same story and share beats? How they get to those beats is completely different for most of the time. Like the only thing you could do feasibly with editing is remove the Resurrection 'F' arc and maybe shorten the BoG arc but everything else? Unless you want to learn about visual editing, potentially creating new scenes and getting people to voice new dialogue? A simple fan-edit to turn the anime into the manga is basically impossible.
Bullshit, it's totally feasible, in fact, there already is a fan edit with this goal in mind. It's totally feasible with a few annoying caveats. The resurrection f arc would have to be completely removed as well as most of battle of the gods's storyline since a brief retelling of the events of that movie is included in the manga, I would personally remove it entirely and start the edit with Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, so the movie can be enjoyed on its own. There is a ton of stuff that really can't be changed, like the art style or some of the jankier animated sections, but all of the filler can be removed and some scenes can be trimmed to improve pacing but I don't remember the pacing of DBS to be as awkward as OG DBZ. The biggest challenge for a project like this are the many blatant deviations from the manga itself, like events happening in different locations, important events happening in the context of awful filer like the god-awful inclusion of Yajirobe and the survivors in the Goku Black arc, and a few other things. I think most of this can be removed via clever editing but I've never tried it so who knows.

Clemsi

Post by Clemsi » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:43 pm

I just finished translating the episode 69 of Dragon Ball Recut in french, which corresponds to the end of the Training at the Sanctuary Arc !

Aspiring-Creator

Post by Aspiring-Creator » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:04 pm

GorillaCentral wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:18 am
Aspiring-Creator wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:57 pm
Bullshit, it's totally feasible, in fact, there already is a fan edit with this goal in mind. It's totally feasible with a few annoying caveats. The resurrection f arc would have to be completely removed as well as most of battle of the gods's storyline since a brief retelling of the events of that movie is included in the manga, I would personally remove it entirely and start the edit with Goku and Vegeta training with Whis, so the movie can be enjoyed on its own. There is a ton of stuff that really can't be changed, like the art style or some of the jankier animated sections, but all of the filler can be removed and some scenes can be trimmed to improve pacing but I don't remember the pacing of DBS to be as awkward as OG DBZ. The biggest challenge for a project like this are the many blatant deviations from the manga itself, like events happening in different locations, important events happening in the context of awful filer like the god-awful inclusion of Yajirobe and the survivors in the Goku Black arc, and a few other things. I think most of this can be removed via clever editing but I've never tried it so who knows.
First off, no idea why you had to be so blunt and rude in your response, I'm not being rude to you so there's no reason to be rude to me. As for the main point? I mean if someone can do it well in an edit and have it not look super janky then that's great. My point about making a fan-edit is more that unlike say Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z where aside from the occasional major change that just cannot be removed it's pretty easy to get rid of filler? Super is a different beast because the manga itself is so different. The easiest aspects of that edit would be trimming down BoG and just ignoring RF but after that? The U6 tournament takes place in a completely different venue and has a couple of different beats for its fights, there's the whole issue of Goku never using SSB Kaioken in the manga that would have to be acknowledged. Goku Black has the survivors but also many instances where fights and events play out differently, Goku Black has a completely different attitude from his anime counterpart and I could go on and on and the thing about editing is that while it can be removed? There's a lot more that goes into it than just removing something, every edit is made while considering a whole bunch of factors like for instance if removing a scene throws off the pacing, if it interferes with a scene to such an extent that it renders it unreadable. To give an example, Milkman put down a list of changes he wished he could make to Kai's dub and in some of those notes, he mentioned he didn't make these changes because simply every avenue he tried was too distracting and awkward so he ultimately had to concede they couldn't be done and just let the dialogue be.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:12 pm

On a different topic...

I hope when Z Recut is done, it doesn't have that many fillers left in. As much as I'd like to see something like Kai with the original soundtrack, I already know it isn't really possible unless you were working with a clean audio channel to cut the scenes.

If anything, a version of Kai Recut with the Z opening/endings is fine with me.