Could the Dragon Ball Super anime be ending soon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Could the Dragon Ball Super anime be ending soon?

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

With the boxsets for the show going up to 72 episodes, at least thus far, and the new Ending song coming in, do you think it's possible that Super may end after the next arc? We obviously don't know, as there's been no official word whether it will end after 72 episodes or not, but I want to know your thoughts on the matter. Is it a possibility? How likely is it?

I also should mention that we have about 11 episodes until then, and if you factor in breaks, that could amount to 14-16 weeks left.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Could the Dragon Ball Super anime be ending soon?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:27 pm

I doubt it, Super is still doing very well in Japan and TOEI will want to keep it going so long as the ratings remain as high as they are currently.

The 72 episode mark is what TOEI have for the boxsets, they may have a set budget for the remaining 11, but as the series continues to do well Fuji TV will be able to order more and new boxsets will be announced accordingly.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:45 pm

I don't know. While the Gokû Black arc feels like the first serious arc (though anything Future Trunks related automatically feels serious) it doesn't feel much like an ending arc.

Maybe 72 was the initial number ordered before they knew how well it'd do?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:04 pm

We will have 84 episodes, at least.
Each box set has 12 episodes and one DB on the cover. Going by the pattern 12*7=84

Speaking of which, the fourth set comes out today.

I wouldn't mind if Super ended next year, but only if we had a sequel confirmed that takes place after EOZ and still with Toriyama involvement. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:17 pm

I hope it takes a break. Not that I think it would sustancially improve the quality, but we can only hope.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:With the boxsets for the show going up to 72 episodes, at least thus far, and the new Ending song coming in, do you think it's possible that Super may end after the next arc? We obviously don't know, as there's been no official word whether it will end after 72 episodes or not, but I want to know your thoughts on the matter. Is it a possibility? How likely is it?

I also should mention that we have about 11 episodes until then, and if you factor in breaks, that could amount to 14-16 weeks left.
Mark me, this show will not end until Toriyama runs out of ideas, the main VA's start dying off, or Japanese kids stop caring about the toys. Only in one of these scenarios will DBS be cancelled. Even if Toriyama jumped ship or died tomorrow, they probably have enough momentum to keep this ship afloat.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:32 pm

I can see us reaching at least 150 or 200 episodes at this rate. So I doubt it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:We will have 84 episodes, at least.
Each box set has 12 episodes and one DB on the cover. Going by the pattern 12*7=84

Speaking of which, the fourth set comes out today.

I wouldn't mind if Super ended next year, but only if we had a sequel confirmed that takes place after EOZ and still with Toriyama involvement. :lol:
I'm in the 84 camp, I feel like the Black arc is the next to last arc of the series.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 pm

The 72 episodes is only the amount of episodes that is up to pre order as of now. There is no indication of how long the show will last. A show like this is never planned to last 84 episode or somethimg but on how successful it is and we know how successful it has been.

Toriyama has probably finished writing the next arc and is probably writing the one after already as the Trunks arc has been finished for about 7 months now.

I think we are nowhere near close to finishing and will get to 150 easily.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:With the boxsets for the show going up to 72 episodes, at least thus far, and the new Ending song coming in, do you think it's possible that Super may end after the next arc? We obviously don't know, as there's been no official word whether it will end after 72 episodes or not, but I want to know your thoughts on the matter. Is it a possibility? How likely is it?

Mark me, this show will not end until Toriyama runs out of ideas, the main VA's start dying off, or Japanese kids stop caring about the toys. Only in one of these scenarios will DBS be cancelled. Even if Toriyama jumped ship or died tomorrow, they probably have enough momentum to keep this ship afloat.
You have soloed this thread.

You guys think Toei and Bandai who both have wanted a new db series for YEARS are gonna end it any time soon?

There is legit not even a limit to the amount of arcs toei can make simply from the 12 universes concept. The anime Toriko which was doing terrible in merchandise sales lasted for 147 episodes before toei decided to end it.
You think Super which its merchandise sales are right behinds One Pieces is gonna end any time soon.

Here is 5 arcs I came up within a few mintues.

1. Namek god arc
2. Planet Salad arc
3. the x god of 9 x gods arc
4. Demon God x arc
5. Ultra planet x arc

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:06 pm

I've been in the 84-episode camp for like a year now. I maintain the belief that there's a ~0 % chance of Super ending before Episode 84 is reached.
After that, who knows? It'll be up to Toei and Toriyama. Toriyama can pull the plug, quitting creating stories and characters. Toei could then go on to create a proverbial second GT, which would last however long the good ratings would. Voice actors/actresses could also die, which would most likely cause a very quick attempt to finish the series. If Nozawa dies (god forbid. Bless her), then I'm certain Toei would get a Nozawa impersonator (I'm sure they have one) for the remainder of the arc, but wrap up Super in its entirety as soon as they could. Unless either of these conditions become true, Super will probably go on and on until the ratings and profit drop too low.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Never ever :wink: Akira is not back after 19-20 years to make only 100-150 episodes and Toei has the proof that Dragonball is still popular worldwide thanks to the success of Battle of gods

and Resurrection of F.....Introduce 12 universe just for fun or because it sounds cool makes no sense if Akira and Toei created the 12 universe idea in their head is the plan to do more story's

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Chances are, Blu-ray Box 6 will cover the end of the current arc and a little of the filler arc that tends to follow. I see no reason why Super would end at any point soon. None at all.

Merchandise sales were exceptionally high going by the last report, and the series' ratings, though not particularly relevant, still show Super sitting comfortably in the top 10 every single week.

Video games are doing well, with all kinds of different types popping up across the board. The Dragon Ball machine is running rather nicely, right now. No reason for it to end.

It's a vastly different scenario from GT which had sinking ratings, poor merchandise sales, and the catastrophic failure of Final Bout behind it. We're on a very different spectrum now.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:Never ever :wink: Akira is not back after 19-20 years to make only 100-150 episodes and Toei has the proof that Dragonball is still popular worldwide thanks to the success of Battle of gods

and Resurrection of F.....Introduce 12 universe just for fun or because it sounds cool makes no sense if Akira and Toei created the 12 universe idea in their head is the plan to do more story's
Toriyama didn't really come back. He seems to be giving very, very rough drafts of stories, he's not participating near as much as he used to (another reason I think that DBS could go on without him).

That being said, I agree that Dragon Ball will go as long as it possibly can.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:Never ever :wink: Akira is not back after 19-20 years to make only 100-150 episodes and Toei has the proof that Dragonball is still popular worldwide thanks to the success of Battle of gods

Toriyama has a plan the same way Freeza has a conscience. If he gets sick of writing Dragon Ball again, make no mistake, he will leave and I'd say good riddance cause this franchise needs some serious fresh blood.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Just to show how well the the merchandise sales are doing and how strong the Super brand is doing:

[spoiler]Image

Freaking Toilet paper man! :lol:[/spoiler]

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm not sure why everyone is measuring the show by episode count, that seems silly given that we know that the arcs were incredibly dragged out and should only have lasted a third of the total run for DBZ.

DB had 3 major arcs while DBZ had 4. We've technically already had 3 major arcs plus a filler saga and we're in the 4th now. Anything beyond 5 major arcs would be a miracle for Toriyama otherwise in my opinion it would no longer be a Toriyama product.. in my opinion if Toriyama is involved we get 1 more arc. Without his involvement Toei will milk it for as long as possible.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:28 pm

TheMikado wrote:I'm not sure why everyone is measuring the show by episode count, that seems silly given that we know that the arcs were incredibly dragged out and should only have lasted a third of the total run for DBZ.

DB had 3 major arcs while DBZ had 4. We've technically already had 3 major arcs plus a filler saga and we're in the 4th now. Anything beyond 5 major arcs would be a miracle for Toriyama otherwise in my opinion it would no longer be a Toriyama product.. in my opinion if Toriyama is involved we get 1 more arc. Without his involvement Toei will milk it for as long as possible.
Toriyama isn't defined by how many arcs he puts out per series, I doubt he even realizes or cares about it.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:34 pm

also Fujitv created a new slot for an upcoming anime in October. If Super was ending this wouldn't have been necessary.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I'm not sure why everyone is measuring the show by episode count, that seems silly given that we know that the arcs were incredibly dragged out and should only have lasted a third of the total run for DBZ.

Toriyama isn't defined by how many arcs he puts out per series, I doubt he even realizes or cares about it.
It's not about the number of arcs it's the average number of ideas he seems to put together before he taps or quality severely suffers. He's had trouble putting together ideas when he was actively writing it, what's makes people thinks he has enough ideas to pump out an indefinite number of episodes of quality content? I'm just going by his usual output.