"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:30 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:12 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:43 am
LightBing wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:19 am 10 million is huge! FighterZ 2 has to be in the works, it has so much potential.
it really does but i doubt they do it mainly because whoever is in charge of the franchise now has been making horrible decisions post 2018 in regards to well... everything. DBFZ2 would be an instant slam dunk but my worry is with the way they have been so cheap with the franchise as of late they'd rather do more low budget arena crap than a 2-d fighter since it isnt as expensive. Like 10 million is great but Fighterz should have been blown past XV2 in sales just off the fact its an infinitely a better product that the xenoverse series will ever dream to be. That worries me that both games have the same amount of copies sold.
1. I'd argue placing emphasis on arena fighters is actually the smart move on Namco's part precisely because of how cheap they are, and precisely because you can load them up with DLC and new characters and not have to worry about balancing them out for competitive play. The appeal of arena fighters is the low barrier of entry and that you don't necessarily play them in regards for how competitive. You play them because of the cool anime bullshit you can do with them, so it's totally okay if a specific character is over powered.

2. Honestly, what would a Fighterz 2 even be? Just more characters? Isn't that just a patch update? Especially when you have the likes of SF6 or Tekken 8 on the horizon, it's not enough to just be "more Fighterz." It would have to be significantly different than the first to justify a likely 70$ price tag. And, "characters from Dragon Ball Heroes" just doesn't cut it.

3. Another issue is, well, Dragon Ball itself. The big thing about Street Fighter is that it often moves back and forth through time, which allows Capcom flexibility in character design as well as gameplay mechanics themselves. Street Fighter 6 is canonically the most recent in the game's lore. Goku will always be Goku and no design will dare go beyond anything that we haven't seen in manga/anime.

I'm sure a Fighterz 2 has been discusses and maybe one will happen, but I think it's just as likely that we get more character packs.
I agree with second point completely... They will have to develop a completely new game, or release an upgrade ala Guilty Gear.
But FighterZ is pretty much done and finished at this point.

The thing with Street Fighter and original IP franchises is obvious, they can do anything, introduce anyone, write a new story...
Dragon Ball unfortunately doesn't have that kind of freedom, because it has to be faithful to the source material.
FighterZ is probably the only legit good game in the franchise, I wouldn't buy the rest if I didn't liked the show :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:09 am

Did they ever actually release that next-gen update for Fighterz? I know they delayed the update with the online Roll-back. If they haven't--that's your Fighterz2. The next-gen/Roll back update that comes with multiple seasons with new characters. That's the only thing I can see.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:10 am

1. I'd argue placing emphasis on arena fighters is actually the smart move on Namco's part precisely because of how cheap they are, and precisely because you can load them up with DLC and new characters and not have to worry about balancing them out for competitive play. The appeal of arena fighters is the low barrier of entry and that you don't necessarily play them in regards for how competitive. You play them
because of the cool anime bullshit you can do with them, so it's totally okay if a specific character is over powered.
You know there so much wrong with your whole post. :crazy:

Its not a smart move its lazy and fans can see it for the cash grab that it is.Fighterz was the first game in over 10+ years that felt like the devs actually gave a damn to make a good product unlike Xenoverse and Kakarot where all you do is spam one button and do the same copy and paste combos as every other charcter in the game. Fighterz was the low barrier of entry where many newer players joining FGC site either that game or Strive as the game to get into the genre. There is a reason XV and games like it have the bad reputation of being Kusoge & rightfully so.

2. Honestly, what would a Fighterz 2 even be? Just more characters? Isn't that just a patch update? Especially when you have the likes of SF6 or Tekken 8 on the horizon, it's not enough to just be "more Fighterz." It would have to be significantly different than the first to justify a likely 70$ price tag. And, "characters from Dragon Ball Heroes" just doesn't cut it.

it would be a sequel game? patch update? :wtf: do you even follow the FGC ? a patch update is not more characters thats DLC WHICH IS OPTIONAL. why is that so hard for you to imagine there are many areas Fighterz can Improve with a sequel. every modern fighting game worth a damn (unlike XV) changes how it can be played when moving to the next title SFV didnt play like SF4 etc etc.

Off the Top of my head:

Updated Visual style i.e: GG Strive
Super-Jump
Pushblock
Enhance Co-OP PvE from just raid bosses and mke it a game mode in itself
Removing Superdash
CHIP DAMAGE ON BLOCK
More offesnive options less rewarding turtling defensive styles
Simplified inputs, Traditional inputs, stylish mode (from Xrd)
Variable cross from MVC1
Custom Color pallette editor
MOVESET VARIETY- every damn charcter does not need a kamehameha adjacent attack
Character diversity- 10 Goku clones are not needed and ffs add some girl fighters the damn game is a sausagefest & that complaint I've heard a lot about the game. id rather see Chronoa than having 3 dam fusions that look alike.
Built in Ratio mode to force more empahis on team bulding.
More robust tutorial modes they had the idea in combo trials but didnt follow through successfully

The fighting game genre is already niche & adding unesccesary BS like SF6 CaC World Tour isnt gonna bring more casual players long-term plus the way Arcsys designs there games dont allow for customization or skins so thats a non starter already. because at the end of the day REAL fighting games (not that arena fighter bullshit you tryna defend) take constant trial and error to get good at. Casuals just want to play the game to kill some time and then move on to the next big release, since they either may not have or do not want to devote so much time into grinding ranked everyday/learning the intricate mechanics of game needed in the higher levels.

Rollback netcode, Visual style on par or better than strive, have Toriyama or more preferable Arcsys artists (since toriyamas former artistic talent has went to absolute dogshit) design 10+ unique characters with varying movesets that are diffrent it DBFZ2 will sell $70 price tag be dammed. Hell most of yall about to pay 70 for more crappy,bare bones,Jump force style gameplay by spike in BT4 coming up.
3. Another issue is, well, Dragon Ball itself. The big thing about Street Fighter is that it often moves back and forth through time, which allows Capcom flexibility in character design as well as gameplay mechanics themselves. Street Fighter 6 is canonically the most recent in the game's lore. Goku will always be Goku and no design will dare go beyond anything that we haven't seen in manga/anime.

I'm sure a Fighterz 2 has been discusses and maybe one will happen, but I think it's just as likely that we get more character packs.
Wrong SF does not move back in forth through time they only went back once during the Alpaha series. the story has stayed fimly between sf2 and sf3 for years never "progressing" Its also Funny seeing this after SF6 relesed since yeah spoiler alert they aint move no damn timeline up in significant way in the story mode past SF3 you'd think it was just SFV bonus dlc after you beat the final boss aka M.bison adjacent Saruman :D nothing mentioning anything built up in SFV with G, Rose resetting the timeline etc.

plus all these games stories are not even canon so why should it matter if they did move the timeline up none of yall would even recognize it as legitimate anyways.The stry mode can be whatever use time travel to excuse addng new ppl they story isnt canon it kust need to be entertaining and they did go beyond the manga/anime with android 21 in a way she existed in neither yet was prominent in the game more stuff like that is what I'm saying.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:36 pm

No news at the moment about releasing new DLC characters?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 am

* Balance patch at the end of August.
* Still no date for the rollback public test.

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1 ... 5RI0Q&s=19
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:55 am

While the game still looks awesome on PS5, wasn't the rollback tied to it being full PS5 upgrade?
I am playing Guilty Gear Strive online and it's completely different experience.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Since DBFZ would be at EVO and it's been some time, I was expecting an update about rollback netcode. There was nothing and at this point feels like they underestimated the amount of work they have to do. At least it's a good practice before the inevitable sequel.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:47 pm Since DBFZ would be at EVO and it's been some time, I was expecting an update about rollback netcode. There was nothing and at this point feels like they underestimated the amount of work they have to do. At least it's a good practice before the inevitable sequel.
They announced before the tournament; the next balance patch and to wait for the already delayed rollback beta.

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1 ... ollback%2F

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:59 pm

LightBing wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:08 pm They announced before the tournament; the next balance patch and to wait for the already delayed rollback beta.

https://twitter.com/BNEesports/status/1 ... ollback%2F
Oh, I hadn't seen that. Better than nothing.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:01 am

Happy about the game's ongoing popularity.
I have stopped playing as I've reached my git gud limits and Guilty Gear is more fun and reachable in online for me,
hence grasping on straws here, I am looking forward to the rollback in FighterZ as I believe it will make the online experience a lot better (no pummeling from heavily lagging opponents).

Reading the announcement, getting the proper rollback in the core game will probably happen somewhere in the middle of 2024? :lol:
It will be nice to get at least one new character (I want that Omega Shenron!) as a present for such a long wait and I will pay for him with no hesitation :lol:
I really love the game since release and almost everything about it, except for online as I really suck after against endless combo spammers and didn't had as much dedication of time for a video game, to train or devise my punishments, but I wouldn't mind if this game stayed alive as it is for next two years or forever, before there will be the right time for a spiritual successor.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:54 am

With the time it takes, it would be nice to throw in some novelty to go with it, the kind that takes time since rollback netcode takes a huge amount of time anyway and something new other than this should be added as an extra for all the waiting.

Like one of these choices:

- Gohan Beast and Orange Piccolo to keep the game up to date with the one anime product it didn't have an opportunity to include, plus they're sort of the "latest top characters" right now.

- Alternate costumes for everyone. If you end up taking two years to implement rollback with your gameplay/network programming staff, have the graphics staff make those in the meantime while you're at it. Since you can't move on from the game as long as you're not done making the promised rollback netcode, might as well make another team work on it for a few visual treats that doesn't require touching up the gameplay and is purely "work on the models" visuals.

- 30 more Dramatic Finishes. Okay, this one is completely unrealistic to even remotely expect given the amount of work it surely takes, but I couldn't help it! I mean, those should be like Fatalities in Mortal Kombat: almost everybody should have them for at least one opponent because there should be one for every single battle that was (even just seemingly) won in the story, going from base Goku locking Ginyu into a frog to Super Saiyan Blue Goku destroying Freeza before he has time to blow up the Earth, not forgetting Super Saiyan Goku defeating Cooler or exploding Cell's upper half by preparing a Kame Hame Ha and teleporting at the last second...

If you keep us waiting for years, you might as well throw in extra content that usually takes time.
In this case, alternate costumes would be fairly easy to do with a limited team, it's just that it takes time, and in this case, there seems to be quite a lot of time before the game can be qualified as "definitive, no more updates" version, so take advantage of it since you have no choice and you can't "shelve" the game for quite a while yet anyway.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:00 am

I wouldn't count on any new content.
Reminder they were basically done with the game a long time ago, even Labcoat #21 is mostly reused assets.

I said it before, the only reason we're even getting rollback is likely as a test for the sequel.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:50 am

Weren't we supposed to get Ps5/XsX versions too?
Yes, there is BC but buying the game with all the DLC is pretty expensive.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:11 am

New balance patch is out, hell of a buff to everyone.

https://media-center.bandainamcoent.eu/ ... tes133.pdf

Universal system change:

* Meteor Atacks can now be performed from Super Atacks while Limit-Breaking Power is active (Excludes some Super Atacks and Meteor Atacks.)

AKA LV1 can now chain into LV3, this one is huge.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:55 pm

How unfortunate that there's still nothing about DBSSH in this game... Even Xenoverse, a game that's 2 years older than FighterZ, had something related.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am

Rollback public beta test from Nov 30 to Dec 10, 2023. Steam version only.

https://youtu.be/itrM2Hos4sQ?si=0smUECVKfBQ3NmAN

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:50 pm

So with a native current-gen version, what improvements can we expect?
I'm sure there's a vast array of options for the graphics on the PC. Console versions usually don't let these choices but activate them at the max that the system can correctly bear. For example, on Assassin's Creed games, every option is set to the equivalent of either "High" or "Ultra" when coming to a current-gen console, and they are open-world games.

Based on the settings available on the PC version in Fighterz that will similarly be automatically set to "High" or "Ultra" on PS5, and knowing that the PS4 version is 1080p and the PS4 Pro version (and PS5 through compatibility for now) is 1620p, what can we expect from a "fully PS5" version?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:48 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:07 am Rollback public beta test from Nov 30 to Dec 10, 2023. Steam version only.

https://youtu.be/itrM2Hos4sQ?si=0smUECVKfBQ3NmAN
What exactly is a rollback?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:12 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:48 amWhat exactly is a rollback?
A network system used for online play.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:08 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:55 pm How unfortunate that there's still nothing about DBSSH in this game... Even Xenoverse, a game that's 2 years older than FighterZ, had something related.
Yeah when they put 21 in XV2 I assumed they'd get like Towa or Mira or Demigra in FighterZ
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.