"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The S » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 am

There was a game called Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu for the PC:
PC Engine, which was a console, specifically its CD-ROM² add-on. In the west, the PC Engine was known as TurboGrafx-16, the CD-ROM² as TurboGrafx-CD.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm

Garo wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 pm The single player content needs an improvement. A superior story mode along with an arcade mode with character endings like Tekken would be cool.

FighterZ was built too much for the multiplayer experience.

We had so many fighting games that went Raditz to Buu it would actually be nice to have one that went Beerus to Broly.
That's because the game was an actual fighting game first, and a DBZ game second. Don't get me wrong, the DBZ stuff in this game is phenomenal. But it was great getting the fighting game stuff we've been wanting for decades. And look at the reception of it.

If you're looking for something that give you every single person to ever through a punch or kick, and then some, we already have loads of those. But games where the gameplay is first and front in center, we really only have Super DBZ (which despereately needs some sort of port) and FighterZ.

And they even went and made this crazy story mode. Peep this: An original cinematic story in a Dragon Ball game. I haven't actually played this myself yet, but did watch TFS at launch. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't as bad as SF5's or MvC:I's story either.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:14 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:23 pm
Garo wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 pm The single player content needs an improvement. A superior story mode along with an arcade mode with character endings like Tekken would be cool.

FighterZ was built too much for the multiplayer experience.

We had so many fighting games that went Raditz to Buu it would actually be nice to have one that went Beerus to Broly.
That's because the game was an actual fighting game first, and a DBZ game second. Don't get me wrong, the DBZ stuff in this game is phenomenal. But it was great getting the fighting game stuff we've been wanting for decades. And look at the reception of it.

If you're looking for something that give you every single person to ever through a punch or kick, and then some, we already have loads of those. But games where the gameplay is first and front in center, we really only have Super DBZ (which despereately needs some sort of port) and FighterZ.

And they even went and made this crazy story mode. Peep this: An original cinematic story in a Dragon Ball game. I haven't actually played this myself yet, but did watch TFS at launch. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't as bad as SF5's or MvC:I's story either.
The story mode was a nice touch but got old fast. Fighting mute clones gets boring after a few stages. I liked the interactions between characters but the most of the mode felt like filler.

Just played the game again on my new 4K TV and it remains gorgeous....except for the backgrounds. They are simple 3D models and really stick out at times, such as in Gogeta's dramatic finish. Hope they fix these for eventual sequels.

Also I hope that for the upcoming rerelease we'll get a complete edition with all DLC included. I switched over from PS4 to Series X and I wouldn't mind rebuying the game, optimized for Series X but buying the game AND all the DLC would be a but costly.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:32 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:14 am
The story mode was a nice touch but got old fast. Fighting mute clones gets boring after a few stages. I liked the interactions between characters but the most of the mode felt like filler.

Just played the game again on my new 4K TV and it remains gorgeous....except for the backgrounds. They are simple 3D models and really stick out at times, such as in Gogeta's dramatic finish. Hope they fix these for eventual sequels.

Also I hope that for the upcoming rerelease we'll get a complete edition with all DLC included. I switched over from PS4 to Series X and I wouldn't mind rebuying the game, optimized for Series X but buying the game AND all the DLC would be a but costly.
I really appreciate that they went to the effort of making an original story but it just isn't that good. If it wasn't for the funny pre-fight character interactions, it would be impossibly boring. The clone fights are lame and most of the normal cutscenes are too, most of the Japanese cast sound like they were seriously phoning it in. I get that dialogue boxes are standard practice in many games, but I think if they just flowed like normal cutscenes without forcing you to click through them, they wouldn't be so bad to sit through.

Still, better than a Raditz-Buu rerun.

I personally think there's a charm to the stage designs, they remind me of the Capcom Vs. games. I especially love the wasteland stage based on Goku and Vegeta's first battle. I guess they could stand to be better and more varied next time, but being the map designer in a fighting game is such a thankless job -- most people don't pay attention to the backgrounds at all and pro players will always gravitate towards featureless training stages if given the option. It sucks.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:54 am

I do agree that the stages design-wise are very good byt the graphical fidelity could be upped.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:42 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong - since I lack knowledge in game development and especially fighting game developments -, but...

I was surprised there weren't dozens of stages added, as it seems that's definitely the easiest thing to do in a game like this: a mostly static landscape with characters only moving on a very limited flat area and 90% of the landscape being there just to appear on screen with no way to actually reach it.

So adding many landscapes shouldn't be hard, as it involves nothing gameplay-wise, no collision hitboxes to create, etc...

Then again, I guess it's also uninteresting to them because fighting games are first and foremost interested in updates that have an influence on gameplay, I guess...
But selling a few stages as $5 dollars pack sometimes would have surely brought them money, since players would probably pay for extra visual novelty during their many hours of training and battles.
Something easy to create because visual-only in a very limited range and unrelated to gameplay AND able to bring money, it's strange that they didn't go for it.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:10 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:42 pm Correct me if I'm wrong - since I lack knowledge in game development and especially fighting game developments -, but...

I was surprised there weren't dozens of stages added, as it seems that's definitely the easiest thing to do in a game like this: a mostly static landscape with characters only moving on a very limited flat area and 90% of the landscape being there just to appear on screen with no way to actually reach it.

So adding many landscapes shouldn't be hard, as it involves nothing gameplay-wise, no collision hitboxes to create, etc...

Then again, I guess it's also uninteresting to them because fighting games are first and foremost interested in updates that have an influence on gameplay, I guess...
But selling a few stages as $5 dollars pack sometimes would have surely brought them money, since players would probably pay for extra visual novelty during their many hours of training and battles.
Something easy to create because visual-only in a very limited range and unrelated to gameplay AND able to bring money, it's strange that they didn't go for it.
But who buys stages in fighting games? Heck, who sells stages in fighting games? They usually toss those in with DLC characters.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:40 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:10 pm
Cold Skin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:42 pm Correct me if I'm wrong - since I lack knowledge in game development and especially fighting game developments -, but...

But who buys stages in fighting games? Heck, who sells stages in fighting games? They usually toss those in with DLC characters.
SF V sold a ton of stages.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:40 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:10 pm

SF V sold a ton of stages.
Each of those stages for sale were included with a character or bundle. They allowed you to buy them a la carte, but you really shouldn't.

XenoSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by XenoSaiyan » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:15 pm

Does anyone else hope that we may get a fullblown Season 4 DLC pack due to the game's success and popularity? There's plenty of others characters and stages that could be added as well as a possible collab with Xenoverse and Heroes.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:16 pm

XenoSaiyan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:15 pm Does anyone else hope that we may get a fullblown Season 4 DLC pack due to the game's success and popularity? There's plenty of others characters and stages that could be added as well as a possible collab with Xenoverse and Heroes.
i hope we get a sequel instead. it's been 5 years now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:37 pm

It seems like we don't get games yearly like we used too. So maybe no sequel until 2024 or 2026.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:37 pm It seems like we don't get games yearly like we used too. So maybe no sequel until 2024 or 2026.
That has its pros and cons cause they could be working on something that turns out to be very good or something terrible for all that time.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:12 pm

XenoSaiyan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:15 pm Does anyone else hope that we may get a fullblown Season 4 DLC pack due to the game's success and popularity? There's plenty of others characters and stages that could be added as well as a possible collab with Xenoverse and Heroes.
I'm actually disappointed that they didn't add more stages, but now I rather them to focus on a sequel. This time using Unreal Engine 5.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:20 pm

I'd love to see FighterZ 2's Story Mode be a recreation of the Z Series, it would be cool to see them animate iconic scenes. Like the Dramatic Finishes but part of the Story Mode.

I know they would probably have a completely different roster in this game but why not have some of the characters from FighterZ 1 be enemies in the Story Mode?

Let's say they don't bring back Fat Buu (at least on the Launch Roster) they can have him in the Story Mode as an enemy.

Characters I personally hope would be on the launch roster would be: Raditz, Zarbon, Dabura and Buuhan

If they aren't rushed to make the game, I hope more characters get transformations. Goku actually being able to use SSJ3 in battle for example.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:41 pm

I want to see a story similar to MK11 where you have characters meet their past versions of themselves. Imagine Saiyan Saga Vegeta reacting to current Vegeta.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:18 pm

^ This idea could actually happen (although there are many other possibilities).

I mean, they apparently had a lot of fun in Fighterz creating dozens of scenes of characters meeting when it is originally not possible (adult Gohan and Cell, Gotenks and the Ginyu Force, Freeza and Majin Boo, Freeza and Cell, etc...)

So it could be a way for them to keep creating scenes of unlikely interactions that are supposed to be impossible.

Alternatively, they could think that the "unlikely interactions" aspect has been explored enough in the first game and aim for a completely different approach in the second game.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:06 pm

In MK11 it was actually fun idea, how to bring in younger versions of characters back in combined with the countless variants you can do through customization and tie it with Kronika, Elder God of time.

But I would hate it personally in FighterZ. Sure, the writing can be great and win me over, but it's not like first time this happens.
When you have limited games or games when you need to include all the characters to either cash on them (DB Legends) or to use the limited roster (Shin Budokai games on PSP), they always use this time and dimension merging to bring them in in an easy and uninteresting way and I am tired of that.

Xenoverse had a huge potential to deal with time travel, but beside playing the Z, Super and GT stories pretty much as they are, the just toss in your original character and that's it.
I had played the DBO in it's heyday and the missions were actually more fun and more RPG oriented, like transporting small Goku from his pod to Gohan to keep him away from Time Breakers, or fighting on 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and interacting with the characters and more.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:39 pm

FighterZ Producer Hiroki along with commentators Ohnuki & Acqua will reveal some information regarding the game at Battle Hour Special Broadcast.

Date & Time: December 3rd, 8 PM JST
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Date for the rollback? Can't imagine anything else. A balance patch would be nice but I doubt I'll come back on their word.