"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 am

As someone who never cared about Street Fighter, Street Fighter 6 is having my attention because of how unique and stylish its atmosphere is.

Whenever DBFZ2 comes up, I hope ASW does much more than updating movesets and adding new characters/stages.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:50 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm That would just piss a lot of the playerbase off. Keep in mind, it's still a Dragon Ball game and the fans won't be as forgiving to character cuts.
Being a Dragon Ball game doesn't overrule how companies and the industry works.
Fans can bring their pitchforks because characters will be cut.

The player base that still plays won't be pissed off because they're fighting game players, they know the drill.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:15 pm

I see posts saying things like: "Knowing Bamco ..." and "Of course it gets a sequel, it made so much money". Xenoverse 2 was released in 2016 and has been getting DLC expansions to this day. And will most likely be getting characters from Super Hero. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be getting this extended support if it was not making them a bunch of money. These days it's much, much easier to ask for a small amount to get more stuff for what they are currently playing and have accumilated things for, than to ask for a big spend for something with less things ... unless you have a bunch of new stuff to also offer.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:16 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:50 am
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm That would just piss a lot of the playerbase off. Keep in mind, it's still a Dragon Ball game and the fans won't be as forgiving to character cuts.
Being a Dragon Ball game doesn't overrule how companies and the industry works.
Fans can bring their pitchforks because characters will be cut.

The player base that still plays won't be pissed off because they're fighting game players, they know the drill.
Most of the playerbase aren't into fighting games like that. Besides, there's no need to reinvent the game unless they plan on using an entirely different engine.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:15 pm I see posts saying things like: "Knowing Bamco ..." and "Of course it gets a sequel, it made so much money". Xenoverse 2 was released in 2016 and has been getting DLC expansions to this day. And will most likely be getting characters from Super Hero. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be getting this extended support if it was not making them a bunch of money. These days it's much, much easier to ask for a small amount to get more stuff for what they are currently playing and have accumilated things for, than to ask for a big spend for something with less things ... unless you have a bunch of new stuff to also offer.
That's the thing. XV2 appeals specifically to an audience with different expectations so they can continue to support it indefinitely with DLC content till they decide to release a sequel.

DBFZ seems to be at the end of its DLC cycle especially as the producer announced they don't plan on adding new content besides the next-gen upgrade. The game is just too successful for them to just let it die.

Have you ever heard of a game that sold over 8 million copies and you never heard from it again especially a fighting game?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:28 am

This reminds me of the Mario Party situationon Switch. Super Mario Party suddenly got online multiplayer after 4 years out of nowhere.
Nintendo however used it to test it out for use in their sequel, which came out the following year.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:16 am

I can imagine sequel with updated roster. Every DB game came out with pretty much the final versions of characters...
Starting from PS2, it was the final version of Z characters, excluding Budokai 1 that covered the series up to Cell arc.
Budokai 3 added Goku in EoZ Gi against Uub and Vegeta was always in his underoos.

This changed with Super, adding the Super/Z versions of characters starting with Xenoverse, reverting Vegeta back to his Cell arc armor.

With Broly and Super Hero, but lack of more extensive new material and disregarding manga, I can see them doing the same again and update the old roster. When FighterZ came out, everyone was Z/Super era selves with emphasis on Super Saiyan forms as they are more iconic and it was a mish-mash of nostalgia and up-to-date (Gohan goes both Potential and SSJ).

They can for example throw away movie and GT characters, take the roster, update the existing characters and switch for new ones.
Of course, Freeza, Buu and Cell are staples and Z is still the most popular era.
Classic fighting games never have huuuge rosters and I believe that FighterZ, if it gets sequel, won't stay the same and add even more characters on top of what we have. But we'll see.

If FighterZ won't stop at being a one hit wonder, I will be one of the first ones hyped about a potential sequel.
I hope it will keep going online and as a DB fighter, that everyone enjoys. I believe it has a potential to become a cult game.
That's the magic, as Xenoverse caters to completely different audience, FighterZ is universally aproachable and when you play SF or MK for years for example, the mechanics are similar at it's base.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 am As someone who never cared about Street Fighter, Street Fighter 6 is having my attention because of how unique and stylish its atmosphere is.

Whenever DBFZ2 comes up, I hope ASW does much more than updating movesets and adding new characters/stages.
DBFZ2 should have an artstyle and vibe similar to Guilty Gear Strive.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Have you ever heard of a game that sold over 8 million copies and you never heard from it again especially a fighting game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games

Minecraft 238m released 11-2011
Grand Theft Auto V 169m released 09-2013
PUBG: Battlegrounds 75m released 12-2017
Mario Kart 8 / Deluxe 55.28m released 05-2014

There were no fighting games in this top 50 list. And i know GTA will be getting a sequel ... at some point.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_se ... ting_games

Something of note on this list: Xenoverse and FighterZ are the only licenced fighters here.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:12 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games

Minecraft 238m released 11-2011
Grand Theft Auto V 169m released 09-2013
PUBG: Battlegrounds 75m released 12-2017
Mario Kart 8 / Deluxe 55.28m released 05-2014

There were no fighting games in this top 50 list. And i know GTA will be getting a sequel ... at some point.

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Best_se ... ting_games

Something of note on this list: Xenoverse and FighterZ are the only licenced fighters here.
Minecraft is still getting new content and a bunch of spin-offs.

GTA V is constantly re-released and word on the street a sequel is coming out.

Mario Kart 8 just got a DLC bundle and also a sequel is supposedly planned.

Try harder, man.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 am

As much as I would enjoy a new story mode like they did, I would be fine with them just using the roster to make us go through all the famous story battles in chronological order with a cutscene akin to the Dramatic Intro and Dramatic Finish scenes at the beginning and end of battles.

Given how those Dramatic scenes were impressive and well-received, they could articulate the main solo story mode around that, like some sort of arcade mode that chooses who you play as and who you fight based on the story, with each fight giving you an impressive rendition of how that battle ended originally, making for 50 to 100 Dramatic scenes to see in chronological order.

The main solo mode would be like a "greatest battle moments" compilation of a lot of fights from the franchise or something, basically focusing on in-battle short cutscenes like those they've done so well.

Dramatic Finish scenes should have existed for every battle that happened in the story and that fits with the available roster in the first place.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:11 pm

You know, it’s a shame they’ve drawn the line at any new content for the game because the Gammas could have been really fun additions to the roster. You’ve got grapples, team attacks, projectiles and a very obvious choice for a level 3.

Now they’ve got the netcode sorted, hopefully they’ll eventually put out a proper FighterZ 2 with new stuff, overhauled mechanics and what-not.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:11 pm You know, it’s a shame they’ve drawn the line at any new content for the game because the Gammas could have been really fun additions to the roster. You’ve got grapples, team attacks, projectiles and a very obvious choice for a level 3.

Now they’ve got the netcode sorted, hopefully they’ll eventually put out a proper FighterZ 2 with new stuff, overhauled mechanics and what-not.
I think the Gammas are a shoe-in for FighterZ 2. It would be cool to switch between in a single character, a bit like #18 and #17 but with total control and consequence.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 am

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 am As much as I would enjoy a new story mode like they did, I would be fine with them just using the roster to make us go through all the famous story battles in chronological order with a cutscene akin to the Dramatic Intro and Dramatic Finish scenes at the beginning and end of battles.

Given how those Dramatic scenes were impressive and well-received, they could articulate the main solo story mode around that, like some sort of arcade mode that chooses who you play as and who you fight based on the story, with each fight giving you an impressive rendition of how that battle ended originally, making for 50 to 100 Dramatic scenes to see in chronological order.

The main solo mode would be like a "greatest battle moments" compilation of a lot of fights from the franchise or something, basically focusing on in-battle short cutscenes like those they've done so well.

Dramatic Finish scenes should have existed for every battle that happened in the story and that fits with the available roster in the first place.
That honestly sounds awesome.

A Story Mode that operates like an Arcade Mode. No randomized (that would be a separate mode) battles would honestly be the dream for me.

There was a game called Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu for the PC:

This game basically covered many of Goku's most memorable battles. A few were skipped (Daimao, Raditz, Ginyu Force, etc) but it got many of the most notable ones. I'd like to see something similar for a potential DBFZ Arcade Mode. The roster would ultimately determine how a mode like this would go.

In Hyper Dimension, a lot of battles had to be skipped (most of the story was told through dialogue) because of the limited size. In Butoden 1, it jumps from the 23rd Budokai to Vegeta's arrival. Goku and Piccolo fight Vegeta instead of Raditz.

This would be more comparable to the Supersonic Warriors series. The Namek/Cell/Boo arc all had a dedicated Story Mode, but every character had their own What-If Story Mode.

In a potential FighterZ 2, I'm sure there'd be enough characters to make a nice Arcade/Story Mode work without much of an issue.

You would select the Base/Default character before beginning the story. Basically, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Blue, and UI Goku wouldn't have separate stories. You'd start the story with Base Goku and advance through the story.

There'll be dialogue at the start and end of the battle. Losing could change the story path. Every character would have a different final boss.

For characters that don't have an extensive fighting history (for example, Captain Ginyu, Beerus, or Vegito), they could make up battles for them. I don't think it'd be fun for certain characters to have overly short paths in comparison to others.

Something like the above would have tons of reply value. I still have yet to go beyond the 3% of the DBFZ story I completed.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:19 pm

LightBing wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am
Kataphrut wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:11 pm You know, it’s a shame they’ve drawn the line at any new content for the game because the Gammas could have been really fun additions to the roster. You’ve got grapples, team attacks, projectiles and a very obvious choice for a level 3.

I think the Gammas are a shoe-in for FighterZ 2. It would be cool to switch between in a single character, a bit like #18 and #17 but with total control and consequence.
The Gamma bros should function like Ice Climbers. You can control both at the same time but only one of them takes damage when hit.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 pm

Someone mentioned story here and I must say that I am confused by the story mode to this day.
Is it three parallel takes on the story? Or is it three parts happening at the same time?

Somehow it doesn't fit together, as you defeat 21 in the first part, second part I forgot and then you have the third with "real ending" and defeating the evil 21 with help from her good half.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Does anybody else want DBFZ2 to have a "World Tour" mode like SF6 is gonna have or like MK Deception did?

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:57 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 pm Someone mentioned story here and I must say that I am confused by the story mode to this day.
Is it three parallel takes on the story? Or is it three parts happening at the same time?

Somehow it doesn't fit together, as you defeat 21 in the first part, second part I forgot and then you have the third with "real ending" and defeating the evil 21 with help from her good half.
They're all three parallel takes on the story, with only Whis (and maybe Beerus?) being aware of this fact, which is why he encourages you, the player, to get the best ending.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:07 pm

MrGohanks wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 pm Does anybody else want DBFZ2 to have a "World Tour" mode like SF6 is gonna have or like MK Deception did?
This would be a great idea for the new story mode. Have it be largely open-world then switch to regular gameplay for major battles.

Way better than the pointless board game. Dragon World worked better and that shit sucked ass from a hardcore gamer's perspective.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Garo
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Garo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 pm

The single player content needs an improvement. A superior story mode along with an arcade mode with character endings like Tekken would be cool.

FighterZ was built too much for the multiplayer experience.

We had so many fighting games that went Raditz to Buu it would actually be nice to have one that went Beerus to Broly.