"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 am

VegettoEX wrote:The thing is, none of that "content" in Xenoverse 2 is of remote interest to me (or, quite honestly, any fun at all).
Well to each their own on that but it's that which has helped it be as successful as it is.

The story mode with its "original" story and new characters, being able to choose between five races, change their physical appearance, clothing, items, techniques, QQ bangs etc, the decent sized hub to fly around to interact with, side quests with Buu, Vegeta, Frieza etc, the two pointless training missions, the PQ's with the different endings and drops, the Raid missions where you can play alongside others and now they've added some Hero Coliseum to it.

It mixed up the variety of the game. FighterZ is just fight after fight after fight. There's nothing else to do in the game except walk around a tiny lobby. Thankfully the fighting is fun but it'll probably get old quickly to a lot of people.
Logania wrote:Indeed it is. It's actually my first legit experience with Tekken besides little bits of Tekken 3. I just wish the DLC was a handled a bit better, it has been quite lackluster for me.
Well I'm happy enough with the character choices and I like the stages and everything....but they've added two characters since June? Well there's also Eliza but nobody cares about her. Injustice 2 has added 13 characters.

Tekken Bowl? Where is Team Battle mode?

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:56 am

Bullza wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:The thing is, none of that "content" in Xenoverse 2 is of remote interest to me (or, quite honestly, any fun at all).
Well to each their own on that but it's that which has helped it be as successful as it is.

The story mode with its "original" story and new characters, being able to choose between five races, change their physical appearance, clothing, items, techniques, QQ bangs etc, the decent sized hub to fly around to interact with, side quests with Buu, Vegeta, Frieza etc, the two pointless training missions, the PQ's with the different endings and drops, the Raid missions where you can play alongside others and now they've added some Hero Coliseum to it.

It mixed up the variety of the game. FighterZ is just fight after fight after fight. There's nothing else to do in the game except walk around a tiny lobby. Thankfully the fighting is fun but it'll probably get old quickly to a lot of people.
You named a whole bunch of different modes and customization options, but if the combat isn't fun none of that matters. I'd rather eat a really good steak by itself than have a meal combo at McDonalds, even if I'm getting "more" with the latter.
­

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 08, 2018 3:14 am

Taku128 wrote:You named a whole bunch of different modes and customization options, but if the combat isn't fun none of that matters. I'd rather eat a really good steak by itself than have a meal combo at McDonalds, even if I'm getting "more" with the latter.
Well it's the package as a whole. Games need variety, stops them from becoming repetitive and tedious. I wouldn't say the fighting is fun in the game though it's not bad it anything. A lot of the fun comes from the customisation itself and picking and choosing what techniques work well for you.

The fighting may be more fun in FighterZ but that's all there is to.

So it's more like eating a good steak for every single meal or having different meal combos each time.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 08, 2018 3:21 am

Hopefully the new party mode in the patch for FighterZ can spice things up. Surprised there still isn't an online tournament option yet, it'd be a great addition because the modes in FighterZ is lacking.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue May 08, 2018 3:55 am

Bullza wrote:
Taku128 wrote:You named a whole bunch of different modes and customization options, but if the combat isn't fun none of that matters. I'd rather eat a really good steak by itself than have a meal combo at McDonalds, even if I'm getting "more" with the latter.
Well it's the package as a whole. Games need variety, stops them from becoming repetitive and tedious. I wouldn't say the fighting is fun in the game though it's not bad it anything. A lot of the fun comes from the customisation itself and picking and choosing what techniques work well for you.

The fighting may be more fun in FighterZ but that's all there is to.

So it's more like eating a good steak for every single meal or having different meal combos each time.
I find this criticism beyond silly. Most games by definition rely on repetition, if they didn't people wouldn't play them because that's not what you bought them for. First person shooter, you shoot, RPG, you kill stuff and gain xp, sport games, you play the sport, etc...

Features depending on the game and how much it can branch off rarely are more than extra features; that's not why people buy the games and lacking said modes won't stop them from getting it.

With this I'm not defending the modes in this game, the story mode is repetitive and easy, arcade mode is dry and the only good mode is party mode which relies on the online... yeah.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue May 08, 2018 4:35 am

LightBing wrote:I find this criticism beyond silly. Most games by definition rely on repetition, if they didn't people wouldn't play them because that's not what you bought them for. First person shooter, you shoot, RPG, you kill stuff and gain xp, sport games, you play the sport, etc...
That seems like an over simplification. Far Cry 5 is a FPS where you shoot...but you also drive cars, fly helicopters, find collectibles, hunt animals etc. I recently went through FFVII again and you also drive bikes, race chocobos, snowboard, play arcade games etc. There's nothing they can really do about sports though.

Batman Arkham Knight has combat sections, stealth sections, driving sections and detective sections. Grand Theft Auto V has all sorts and so on.

Fighting games are a bit more limited but there's also the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. Aside from the fighting, they also have a Village to explore, side quests, shops, collectibles.

It just breaks up the monotony.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 am

While I do think FighterZ is kind of a bad package with every single-player mode looking like it wasn't playtested by the team (because otherwise Arcade mode wouldn't be like this), I think the fighting and fanservice more than makes up for it.

This is ArcSys' first go at a DB home console game and unlike say, Street Fighter 5, what's here is pretty substantial, I spent 22 hours on the Story Mode alone between the 2 difficulties and going back to see every interaction and I still have a go at the arcade mode every once in a while thanks to the quests. It's just that their execution sucks and you kinda have to force yourself to go through it.

Tekken 7 is pretty similar , the arcade mode is terrible compared to previous installments and the Story Mode is over before you know it so all you have left is treasure battle.

But that's not what I bought FighterZ (or Tekken, really) for, I wanted a traditional DB fighting game for a long time, and this delivers in a wonderful way. On top of that it looks great and there's a ton of charm into the characters.

And that's where I stand. FighterZ is what I wanted since Super DBZ, and I got that, sure I'd like it to have a such an array of things to do like in Blazblue, but for this game in particular it would just be an extra to me.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 pm

-About the new update-

As a SSJ Vegeta and Adult Gohan player, I'm fine with their nerfs but the fact that they barely touched Cell is laughable.
He was already one of the best characters in the game and now it just got worse. There will be Cells everywhere. At least, they nerfed Android 16. :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 08, 2018 6:00 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-About the new update-

As a SSJ Vegeta and Adult Gohan player, I'm fine with their nerfs but the fact that they barely touched Cell is laughable.
He was already one of the best characters in the game and now it just got worse. There will be Cells everywhere. At least, they nerfed Android 16. :roll:
It sucks for me, I love Cell and wanted him on my team with my other 2 favorite characters Hit and Piccolo, but I was waiting for a patch to happen so he'd not be so much more powerful than everybody else and now he's THE best character along with Kid Buu.

I don't feel good using the absolute top tier characters as they don't make my wins feel earned so I won't use Cell yet and Piccolo got tech removed from him and never even got a single buff, I thought they'd give him a meterless knockdown but no.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:06 am

Logania wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:-About the new update-

It sucks for me, I love Cell and wanted him on my team with my other 2 favorite characters Hit and Piccolo, but I was waiting for a patch to happen so he'd not be so much more powerful than everybody else and now he's THE best character along with Kid Buu.

I don't feel good using the absolute top tier characters as they don't make my wins feel earned so I won't use Cell yet and Piccolo got tech removed from him and never even got a single buff, I thought they'd give him a meterless knockdown but no.
Some already had Cell listed as the best character. List I check often had A.Gohan and Cell climbing and 16 dropping for a while with Cell taking the lead a little while ago, and I've seen quite a few people say that 16's op status was exaggerated. Was more of a early game op-ness, when really he was maybe 5th but some say even lower. Personally I had him between 3rd and 6th with Cell and Gohan as top 2 then maybe Goku Black and Kid Buu and maybe maybe Bardock ahead of him. 21 also has a couple of different touch of death combos but haven't seen her actually used much.

Though I've heard some say that the wording of the patch note was just weird and his grab isn't actually getting buffed. Its just fixing a glitch that let him grab you when you are behind him. Which would actually be a nerf. I still say they should just get away from the everybody has the same health thing, and just give different values with characters like Cell getting the lowest. Give us tanky and glass cannon type characters. Or if they don't want to do that, then just slightly nerf his damage on everything or increase combo damage scaling.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Bullza wrote:Ok so now I'm starting to see the flaws more.

I'm in the story mode, I'm up to chapter 5 and I'm still getting battle tutorials? The same battle tutorials that I've already done in other fights. There was a completely separate mode to actually do these battle tutorials so why is it in the story and for this long?

But the main problem is the difficulty....it's possible easy. I'm hardly even taking any damage. I had Goku at lvl 3 and fought Kid Buu at lvl 13 and it was still easy.

I don't think any fight has even taken my health bar down to half for just one character yet.

The AI is awful, they just stand for a few seconds at a time not doing diddly squat. I can win matches just by closing by eyes and mashing triangle over and over.
There is a hard mode. It is much harder and has no tutorials throughout the story.

Idk about you guys but I absolutely love the story. My friends were huddled around the TV watching the story unfold. So many good interactions. Cell is such a troll to everyone it is hillarious

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 am

Bullza wrote:That seems like an over simplification. Far Cry 5 is a FPS where you shoot...but you also drive cars, fly helicopters, find collectibles, hunt animals etc. I recently went through FFVII again and you also drive bikes, race chocobos, snowboard, play arcade games etc. There's nothing they can really do about sports though.

Batman Arkham Knight has combat sections, stealth sections, driving sections and detective sections. Grand Theft Auto V has all sorts and so on.

Fighting games are a bit more limited but there's also the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. Aside from the fighting, they also have a Village to explore, side quests, shops, collectibles.

It just breaks up the monotony.
Here's the issue with this: not EVERY game (hell, not every GENRE) does this kind of variety well. Video games cost a LOT of money to make (more so particularly now) and development time is limited. Including the kind of broad gameplay variety you're talking about here sucks up a LOT of resources and time. And what often usually ends up happening is you end up with a game that offers a lot of gameplay variation, while not being particularly any GOOD at any one of them.

So on a surface-level, it might seem great that a game offers you things as diverse as driving, shooting, stealth, brawling, puzzles, RPG, simulation, strategy, etc... but all that content ends up coming across as IMMENSELY hollow and shallow because none (or very few) of them are given much in the way of substance or polish on an individual basis. So instead of a game consisting of one or two very solid and in-deph gameplay styles, you wind up with a game that's an overcrowded and overstuffed assortment of like half a dozen gameplay modes, none of which are particularly any good on their own.

The Arkham games are actually a very good example of this: while the stealth segments are brilliantly done, most of the other gameplay modes suffer by comparison. It took the brawling/beat em up portions a whole game or so before they felt reasonably fleshed out (the "free flow" combat system had an excellent foundation in Asylum, but was still VERY undercooked and didn't feel more fully developed until City).

The driving segments in Knight also have the germ of a good game in them, but are similarly underdeveloped like the beat em up portions were in Asylum. And the detective portions are just about completely useless across the ENTIRE series, and actively drag all of the games down by interrupting the gameplay for these dumbed down, challenge-free exercises in pointless, game-padding tedium.

This was also probably the BIGGEST problem with console fighting games during the early/mid 2000s (circa the PS2/Gamecube era). So much ridiculous emphasis was put on all these different varied gameplay modes and non-fighting content that very oftentimes the actual core fighting game itself suffered from lack of attention or development time put into it. Stuff like Smash Bros. ended up pulling it off more or less successfully (but that's also partly because Smash isn't a "traditional" fighting game in the first place), but a LOT of other fighting franchises did not, and ended up with shallow, simplistic fighting games surrounded by a whole ton of useless filler.

This was made all the more egregious in that the games often FORCED you to play all the other modes, because they'd wall off almost ALL of the core fighting game's content (most of the playable roster, fighting arenas, hell sometimes even the characters' special moves) behind "unlockables", making it so that you had no choice but to complete hours upon hours of what ended up amounting to the gameplay equivalent of chores and busywork before you could even touch the main fighting game that you bought the fucking game for in the first place.

Basically, this design philosophy often ends up becoming the video gaming personification of the old saying "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit".

Reigning the focus back in more towards one or a set specific number of gameplay modes and mechanics actually allows for there to be a tighter focus on the game your playing actually being something of depth and substance, something that's worth your time and practice and keeps you coming back for more.

What you said at the end there about all these other modes "breaking up the monotony" is something that I find telling: if the core game that you're playing is monotonous (to the point that you need it overstuffed with a ton of other random junk just to keep you from getting bored), then either its not a very good game to begin with, or you're just not that into its genre in the first place.

In the case of the former, obviously we should just be demanding better of our games in general and not settling for mediocrity (especially out of "brand loyalty" or whatever). In the case of the latter though; games of a particular genre shouldn't be obligated to bend themselves over backwards to the point of actively dumbing themselves down just to appeal to people who aren't even particularly all that into them in the first place (and likely never will be).

If you're the sort of person who finds fighting games (or games of any other particular genre) to be boring and monotonous, and need for them to add in a ton of other nonsense or water themselves down in a certain way in order for them to be palatable for you... then I think its better for people like that to just not play games in that particular genre altogether, and let them simply work on their own merits for the sorts of people who DO enjoy them actively for what they are. Not everything is (or should be) made for everyone.

For a game like FighterZ, it doesn't NEED the extra content to work: its a brilliantly designed and excellently crafted competitive fighting game, one that houses immense degrees of depth in its combat mechanics. It has years upon years upon years of life to it all on the basis of just its core fighting mechanics alone, and like other classic fighting games, its the sort of game I know I'll be coming back to for many, many more years to come.

People have been calling FighterZ (rightfully so) a spiritual successor to Marvel vs Capcom 2: a game that was originally released in 2000 and that myself, my friends, and a LOT of other gamers the world over ended up coming back to over and over and over and over again like crack addicts for well over 15 solid years. And all without almost ANY other gameplay modes beyond just the core fighting game itself. Same thing applies to a TON of other fighting games like those found in the King of Fighters and Street Fighter franchises: scores upon scores of gamers STILL play Super Street Fighter II Turbo (released 1994) and King of Fighters '98 (1998 natch) decades on: all of them with barely anything else to them content-wise beyond just an insanely dense as hell core fighting game. For a competitive genre like fighting games, that's really all you need.

The story mode for FighterZ is an utter slog, and I only forced myself to trudge through it A) several months after I'd already bought and been playing the game and B) just to get enough in-game Zeni for some lobby avatars that I wanted. Its completely inconsequential and utterly beside the point of a game like this. FighterZ is a game for people who just want a good, meaty fighting game for them to sink their teeth into, to compete against other players, develop their own unique strategies and play styles, and dig out cool and clever new ways of playing the game for hours and hours on end.

Basically, FighterZ (like Super DBZ before it) is the anti-Budokai.

If that in and of itself isn't enough for you, and you need some kind of "carrot hanging on a stick" in front of you just to keep you interested in playing it: then both this game, and this genre in general I'd argue, are just not for you to begin with.

We already had roughly ten years and a whole console cycle (and a half) of that type of "Chex Mix/Grab Bag Minigame"-style of fighting game ruling the roost. All it ended up doing was MASSIVELY watering down the genre and largely alienating its core player base for years and years (while putting off tons more people who COULD'VE been potential new core players if they were given a worthy game to hook them in in the first place) in favor of serving the whims and fancies of the sorts of people who aren't particularly enthused or excited that much by the genre in the first place.

That era of fighting game is over and done with, and as a hardcore fighting gamer, I'm very immensely happy for it. There's like almost a dozen DBZ fighting games in the vein and style of Budokai for people who want such things: FighterZ is the first and sole "real" fighting game that Dragon Ball has gotten in over 10 years: lets have more of this for a good long while more before we all start clamoring for a return to the days of "RPG-lite minigame modes and gratuitous unlockables over substantive fighting mechanics and competitive play".
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm

That's putting FighterZ too much on a pedestal. It's a fun game and the fighting is pretty solid but it's got nowhere near the amount of depth that you seem to imply that it has.

It's certainly not comparable to the likes of Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat X or some of these other high profile fighting games. It's fairly simplistic for the most part with a sheer lack of moves of which the vast majority can all be performed with the same simple button combination of quarter circle and R1/R2.

Plus the game also adds some fluff to it anyway. The story mode for one thing. That itself includes unlockable perks to boost up your team stats.

You mention fighting games in the old PS2 era but back then they didn't really have anything akin to a story mode. That was something that kicked off with the PS3 days so now even games like Tekken and Street Fighter have actual story modes. People complain if they don't have one now.

It also has a half assed Arcade mode consisting of just three different runs which are then repeated twice because they have a Hard Mode. Something they shoved into the game just so to give it another mode.

The whole lobby itself is just a well dressed version of any ordinary game menu. There's no real need for it. All these lobby characters, stamps, colours etc is just the same kind of added fluff to give you something extra to aim for.

Previous DBZ didn't suffer because they tried to do too many things. They suffered because they're made by third rate developers. Burst Limit focused on the fighting itself more than any other game. There was zero added fluff to the game and that did not stop it from still being a mediocre game.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Bullza wrote: You mention fighting games in the old PS2 era but back then they didn't really have anything akin to a story mode. That was something that kicked off with the PS3 days so now even games like Tekken and Street Fighter have actual story modes. People complain if they don't have one now.
I can't speak for Street Fighter, but Tekken's had story modes in every game so far, except maybe the Tag Tournaments (I haven't played those.) At least on the PS versions; the arcade versions of Tekken 1-3 included with Tekken 5 on the PS2 didn't have the story mode, but it's there on the discs.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 10, 2018 6:11 pm

The patch changed the voice lines a bit for the English voices (dunno about Japanese) so now it isn't as annoying anymore.

Stuff like Blue Vegeta's "oof, oof, oof OOF OOF" noises when getting hit aren't really there, as well as Freeza and 18's cringy "sora sora" being repeated when shooting ki blasts isn't as often anymore. Hopefully everybody got line changes to reduce repetitive lines in the game.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Bullza wrote:That's putting FighterZ too much on a pedestal. It's a fun game and the fighting is pretty solid but it's got nowhere near the amount of depth that you seem to imply that it has.

It's certainly not comparable to the likes of Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat X or some of these other high profile fighting games. It's fairly simplistic for the most part with a sheer lack of moves of which the vast majority can all be performed with the same simple button combination of quarter circle and R1/R2.
Simplicity does not intrinsically mean lack of depth (and vise versa). The vast majority of moves using the same button combination to perform does not change the fact that:

* Each move have different frame data (wind ups/recover time/hit box, etc), which will dictate how they can be followed up (or not).

* Certain moves can requiere certain set ups to make the most out of them.

* How many scenerios is this move usefull.

* Not all moves serve the same purpose (character A can its quarter circle + R1 be a combo finisher while character B can have its quarter circle + R1 be a combo extender).

* Each move has to be performed at certain points & times in order to not break the combo chain (or perform it).

Stuff like these is what gives depth to a fighting game, not its quantity of moves or how complicated are its commands imput.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:

This was also probably the BIGGEST problem with console fighting games during the early/mid 2000s (circa the PS2/Gamecube era). So much ridiculous emphasis was put on all these different varied gameplay modes and non-fighting content that very oftentimes the actual core fighting game itself suffered from lack of attention or development time put into it. Stuff like Smash Bros. ended up pulling it off more or less successfully (but that's also partly because Smash isn't a "traditional" fighting game in the first place), but a LOT of other fighting franchises did not, and ended up with shallow, simplistic fighting games surrounded by a whole ton of useless filler.

If that in and of itself isn't enough for you, and you need some kind of "carrot hanging on a stick" in front of you just to keep you interested in playing it: then both this game, and this genre in general I'd argue, are just not for you to begin with.

We already had roughly ten years and a whole console cycle (and a half) of that type of "Chex Mix/Grab Bag Minigame"-style of fighting game ruling the roost. All it ended up doing was MASSIVELY watering down the genre and largely alienating its core player base for years and years (while putting off tons more people who COULD'VE been potential new core players if they were given a worthy game to hook them in in the first place) in favor of serving the whims and fancies of the sorts of people who aren't particularly enthused or excited that much by the genre in the first place.

That era of fighting game is over and done with, and as a hardcore fighting gamer, I'm very immensely happy for it. There's like almost a dozen DBZ fighting games in the vein and style of Budokai for people who want such things: FighterZ is the first and sole "real" fighting game that Dragon Ball has gotten in over 10 years: lets have more of this for a good long while more before we all start clamoring for a return to the days of "RPG-lite minigame modes and gratuitous unlockables over substantive fighting mechanics and competitive play".
Now I understand that wishing for an immense open world mode for a fighting game is a bit too much, but what about the Weapon Master modes from the first 3 Soul Calibur games, or the World Tour Mode from Street Fighter Alpha 3, or the Chronicles of the Sword and Soul Arena modes from Soul Calibur 3, or the Force modes from Tekken 3 to 6 (the one in 6 was wacky at times though), Are you saying that those game modes were a waste of time?

You see, this is what pisses me off about today's fighting games, they do not care about catering to the medium anymore, all they freaking care about is the E-sports and online while the rest of the casuals (myself included) get the cold shoulder by giving us modes that are half-assed AND taking out some that were supposed to be in a fighting game in the first place like Team attack and time attack. We saw it with the vanilla Street FIghter 5, Tekken 7, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and now with this one too, and I was surprised because Arcsystem is usually great at providing single player content. People wanna talk about the gameplay being the only thing that matters, and that's fine, yall got what yall wanted, a good old versus and online, but I'm just saying that some players aren't interested in competitive play and it's a shame that these companies are taking away modes that are supposed to be in and not thinking of new modes that can be effective. No, a open world mode won't work much, but a beat-em-up can, and there are so many other ideas for them to explore. The only game studio that caters to the middle today is Neatherealms and people can say whatever the hell they want about them and their games.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 10, 2018 10:26 pm

You just reminded me about Weapon Master Mode from Soul Calibur 2 and damn that was a good mode. I spent over 300 hours on that mode at the least, I hope that it'll be included in Soul Calibur 6 as it looks like they're going back to the main cast of the older games, I can only cross my fingers.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I can't speak for Street Fighter, but Tekken's had story modes in every game so far, except maybe the Tag Tournaments (I haven't played those.) At least on the PS versions; the arcade versions of Tekken 1-3 included with Tekken 5 on the PS2 didn't have the story mode, but it's there on the discs.
Tekken 1-3 didn't have a story mode. Just the ordinary arcade mode with a cutscene at the end which most fighting games used to have.

Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 had a "story" mode which was pretty much just the same as the arcade mode except there was a little intro at the start and then there was one or two scripted battles in there with an adversary.

Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 had a full fledged story mode.

It's considered necessary now. Street Fighter IV didn't have a story mode but Street Fighter V did. Marvel vs Capcom 3 didn't have a story mode but Marvel vs Capcom Infinite did. The Injustice games have story modes as well.

They've even started it for sports games now like FIFA and NBA.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 am

Bullza wrote: It's certainly not comparable to the likes of Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat X or some of these other high profile fighting games. It's fairly simplistic for the most part with a sheer lack of moves of which the vast majority can all be performed with the same simple button combination of quarter circle and R1/R2.
Characters having homogeneous attacks inputs does not make the game simplistic. A bomb loop from SS2 Gohan will work differently than SS Vegeta's BnB for example, and you won't be able to use Goku's Flash Fist the same way as Gohan's Jet Uppercut in neutral.

And that's just inputs and moveset differences, the way characters apply pressure, team synergy, character roles and then actual combos are all things that one has to keep in mind that add up depth to the game. FighterZ is simple to get into and that's a good thing, but there's no denying that it has solid depth has proven from all the tournaments it was in these past 4 months.

(also using Tekken as a comparison is funny because almost no recent game in the current FG landscape can compare to Tekken because it is a 3D Fighter as opposed to a 2D one)
It also has a half assed Arcade mode consisting of just three different runs which are then repeated twice because they have a Hard Mode. Something they shoved into the game just so to give it another mode.

This I agree with, the arcade mode reeks of bad game design. The lack of randomized opponents and bad AI (no, simply making the opponent dish out more damage a good AI does not make) don't make it very fun or worthwhile to come back to.
Burst Limit focused on the fighting itself more than any other game. There was zero added fluff to the game and that did not stop it from still being a mediocre game.
No, Super Dragon Ball Z focused on the fighting itself the most, and to this day it's still a marvelous game.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr