Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: The Dragon Box Cut (Updated When I Can)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: The Dragon Box Cut (Updated When I Can)

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 am

Hello. I wanted to start this thread to get some support, & maybe some light help, on my own fan project I've been wanting to do for a while now & that is cutting the Z Dragon Box footage to the English dub audio of Dragon Ball Z Kai & The Final Chapters. I have a feeling someone else might've started something like this already, but I don't really care. I'm simply doing this to both alleviate boredom in my own life & give whoever wants to see it a product of consistent quality that everyone can agree is good. I can supply downloads if anyone wants to give me consistent feedback on it.
Feedback is very much appreciated if you have any. Basically, all that's going into the project are the footage from the Dragon Boxes & footage of the openings, closings, title cards, & eye catches from Kai, & Kai's dub audio. I use the dub because the dub of Kai is awesome & I have no attachment to the Japanese dub at all. Sorry to sub fans, but you can easily sync the Japanese audio to the footage when all's said & done. Also cutting out the episode recaps & previews, since I personally skip passed those anyways when I watch anime. Plus, it'd require a bit more editing that I don't care to do.

There are a few things I would like a bit of help on going into this. It's just a matter of a few things I don't have.
1. Basically, I'm missing some footage. Mainly the Dragon Box footage of the Bardock Special & the original Dragon Ball. I mainly want these for completionist's sake, as well as not having to resort to Kai footage unless 100% necessary, & I can't find any downloads anywhere, since they haven't been released here in the States at all. I also can't use FUNi's DVD, or Blu-Ray release transfers for Bardock because the special was stupidly cropped to widescreen on those, when it was never meant to be in that format! I understand people have imported them from Japan, so if you could, please share a link with me either through PMs on here, DMs on my Twitter, or through messages on my YouTube channel, or my gmail. I need these for both the first episode's flashback sequences, as well as any other times they may have appeared.
(Got Bardock, but most of DB's still a search, though)

2. There's also a small thing with the audio. As I've noted in my "Inconsistencies with the Dragon Ball English Dubs" thread, in Kai, there's a bit of weirdness with the dub. Not too much, but with Piccolo's & Krillin's main attacks, the Makankosoppo & Kienzan (Special Beam Cannon & Destructo Disk), they're first called by their original Japanese names in English, as a part of FUNi's attempt to give Kai an even more accurate dub than Z. However, when they made their second appearances, they switched them back. This is only something you notice if you binge the series, which is incredibly easy to do with the home releases. They've since retained their dub names in Dragon Ball Super, Kai: TFC, etc, so it seems it was a futile effort on the dub teams' parts, since they're engrained in the franchise at this point. What I need is, if anyone has recordings of the Nicktoons airings of those episodes & can get me a copy of them yelling the dub names, I'd love to have those as isolated from any music as possible. If anyone's proficient in audio editing, if anyone could edit those recordings into the 5.1 version of the dub audio, I'd love to have those, if there's any other sounds with them at the same time, which I'm betting there is. I need them for consistency's sake. Maybe the latest games have good recordings too.

3. There's also a matter of the first episode, which has Frieza laughing while destroying planet Vegeta. If anyone can point out any recordings of Chris Ayres laughing roughly the same way as Frieza, I'd love to get those too.

4. Also, some clips of Nadolny as Kid Goku for flashbacks, mainly in TFC. I don't really care for Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku & FUNi could've easily reused her clips in Kai if they wanted to. They did for Battle of Gods, so I don't see why not.

5. Any voice clips from Z's Buu Saga dub that are acted well within the consistency of Kai: TFC that were changed for no good reason for Kai. (Like Mr. Stan saying to Bee, "I'm gonna turn you into a hot dog" in Z, but didn't for some reason in Kai). I'd like these to revert them back due to stupidity with the writers needlessly changing the already correct translations in Z.
These are mainly to correct dub continuity errors, so if anyone can help me out with these, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the audio as-is. If I can get someone to help with some slight audio editing work if I get these, that'd be great.
Also, I'm thinking of leaving out episode 166 entirely, since it's completely filler.

On to other matters. I also plan on cutting out a few minor superfluous bits of useless filler still left in. Nothing major, but the most expendable elements are Ginyu Frog switching bodies with Bulma & the Hell scenes in Kai TFC, since they do absolutely nothing for the arcs at all & the Hell scenes both contradict what was mentioned many times previously in the arc for what happens when you die & go to Hell in DB, plus Resurrection F & Super. Those scenes aren't long & can be left out without much in the way of having to edit a lot of the audio as far as I can tell.
These are the things I wanted you all to know. I plan on editing The Final Chapters first, since those episodes are in widescreen & have that terrible green filter on them. However, even that has complications, since the opening, ending credits, & eye catches are in widescreen, when I need them in 4:3. If someone can recommend me a software to convert them to 4:3 without cropping them, that'd be much appreciated. Episodes will be relegated to 16:9 due to iMovie only exporting in that aspect ratio & the Kai TFC openings, endings, & eye catches all being animated in the format, so all 4:3 footage will have the black bars on the sides as a result. Apologies.
Looking forward to if anyone can help me at all. Thanks for your interest.

TFC folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing.
Last edited by Scsigs on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: The Dragon Box Cut (Help Would Be Appreciated)

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 am

Scsigs wrote:Hello. I wanted to start this thread to get some support, & maybe some light help, on my own fan project I've been wanting to do for a while now & that is cutting the Z Dragon Box footage to the English dub audio of Dragon Ball Z Kai & The Final Chapters. I have a feeling someone else might've started something like this already, but I don't really care. I'm simply doing this to both alleviate boredom in my own life & give whoever wants to see it a product of consistent quality that everyone can agree is good. I can supply downloads if anyone wants to give me consistent feedback on it.
I have a teaser sample clip I put together here: https://vid.me/mks1. Feedback is very much appreciated if you have any. Basically, all that's going into the project are the footage from the Dragon Boxes & footage of the openings, closings, & eye catches from Kai, & Kai's dub audio.

However, there are a few things I would like a bit of help on going into this. It's just a matter of a few things I don't have.
1. Basically, I'm missing some footage. Mainly the Dragon Box footage of the Bardock Special & the original Dragon Ball. I mainly want these for completionist's sake, as well as not having to resort to Kai footage unless 100% necessary, & I can't find any downloads anywhere, since they haven't been released here in the States at all. I also can't use FUNi's DVD, or Blu-Ray release transfers for Bardock because the special was stupidly cropped to widescreen on those, when it was never meant to be in that format! I understand people have imported them from Japan, so if you could, please share a link with me either through PMs on here, DMs on my Twitter, or through messages on my YouTube channel, or my gmail. I need these for both the first episode's flashback sequences, as well as any other times they may have appeared.
2. There's also a small thing with the audio. As I've noted in my "Inconsistencies with the Dragon Ball English Dubs" thread, in Kai, there's a bit of weirdness with the dub. Not too much, but with Piccolo's & Krillin's main attacks, the Makankosoppo & Kienzan (Special Beam Cannon & Destructo Disk), they're first called by their original Japanese names in English, as a part of FUNi's attempt to give Kai an even more accurate dub than Z. However, when they made their second appearances, they switched them back. This is only something you notice if you binge the series, which is incredibly easy to do with the home releases. They've since retained their dub names in Dragon Ball Super, Kai: TFC, etc, so it seems it was a futile effort on the dub teams' parts, since they're engrained in the franchise at this point. What I need is, if anyone has recordings of the Nicktoons airings of those episodes & can get me a copy of them yelling the dub names, I'd love to have those as isolated from any music as possible. If anyone's proficient in audio editing, if anyone could edit those recordings into the 5.1 version of the dub audio, I'd love to have those, if there's any other sounds with them at the same time, which I'm betting there is. I need them for consistency's sake. Maybe the latest games have good recordings too.
3. There's also a matter of the first episode, which has Frieza laughing while destroying planet Vegeta. If anyone can point out any recordings of Chris Ayres laughing roughly the same way as Frieza, I'd love to get those too.
4. Also, some clips of Nadolny as Kid Goku for flashbacks, mainly in TFC. I don't really care for Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku & FUNi could've easily reused her clips in Kai if they wanted to. They did for Battle of Gods, so I don't see why not.
5. Any voice clips from z's Buu Saga dub, that are acted well within the consistency of Kai: TFC that were changed for no good reason for Kai. (Like Mr. Stan saying to Bee, "I'm gonna turn you into a hot dog" in Z, but didn't for some reason in Kai). I'd like these to revert them back due to stupidity with the writers needlessly changing the already correct translations in Z.
These are mainly to correct dub continuity errors, so if anyone can help me out with these, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the audio as-is. If I can get someone to help with some slight audio editing work if I get these, that'd be great.
Also, if there's a chart somewhere that anyone has made to track of which episodes of the show were cut to make the episodes of Kai, I'd love to see it. I can edit the episodes while rewatching Kai, but this would be easier on my laptop's hard drive. Also, I'm thinking of leaving out episode 166 entirely, since it's completely filler.

On to other matters. I also plan on cutting out some superfluous little bits of useless filler still left in. Nothing major, but the most expendable elements are Ginyu Frog switching bodies with Bulma & the Hell scenes in Kai TFC, since they do absolutely nothing for the arcs at all & the Hell scenes both contradict what was mentioned many times previously in the arc for what happens when you die & go to Hell in DB, plus Resurrection F & Super. Those scenes aren't long & can be left out without much in the way of having to edit a lot of the audio as far as I can tell.
These are the things I wanted you all to know. I plan on editing The Final Chapters first, since those episodes are in widescreen & have that terrible green filter on them. However, even that has complications, since the opening, ending credits, & eye catches are in widescreen, when I need them in 4:3. If someone can recommend me a software to convert them to 4:3 without cropping them, that'd be much appreciated.
Also, I wanna put this to a vote. Should I use the creditless openings, or the ones with credits? I'm using Vic Mignogna's version of Dragon Soul for the opening throughout to keep consistency, but should I use credits, or no? I have both, so how would everyone feel? Keep in mind, I only have the English credits & not the Japanese ones.
Looking forward to if anyone can help me at all. Thanks for your interest.
Why only the english dub?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:59 am

sangofe wrote:Why only the english dub?
Personal preference mostly. Plus, it still needs some work to be as good as it can possibly be. If anyone wanted to sync the Japanese audio to it, they could. I'm just not focusing on it & I have no idea how to put optional audio & subtitles on the file, nor do I really care to learn.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:00 pm

I see why this might be an interesting project, but I feel compelled to make a suggestion for course-correction right off the bat. The Pre-Boo Kai remaster is the best the show ever looked, I'd suggest sticking with it except in case of redraws, and only supplement those with Dragon Box footage. This would mean you'd have to stick with SD Kai footage, and you might have to perform a color correction here and there, but you'd still end up with a much better whole, and the workload would decrease for those first 3 arcs.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I see why this might be an interesting project, but I feel compelled to make a suggestion for course-correction right off the bat. The Pre-Boo Kai remaster is the best the show ever looked, I'd suggest sticking with it except in case of redraws, and only supplement those with Dragon Box footage. This would mean you'd have to stick with SD Kai footage, and you might have to perform a color correction here and there, but you'd still end up with a much better whole, and the workload would decrease for those first 3 arcs.
I see why you're saying that, but I still wanna do it for the first 3 arcs. I did say I was going to start with the Buu saga though, so there's that. I just need some more Dragon box footage from the pre-Z era & Bardock. It's just something I wanna do in my spare time.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 am

Update: If anyone can recommend me either a free, or cheap, video conversion software that can squish 16:9 video to 4:3, as I want the opening, ending, eye catches, etc to be the same aspect ratio as the footage, that'd be fantastic.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 am

Scsigs wrote:Update: If anyone can recommend me either a free, or cheap, video conversion software that can squish 16:9 video to 4:3, as I want the opening, ending, eye catches, etc to be the same aspect ratio as the footage, that'd be fantastic.
Handbrake could crop opening and ending to 4:3, and that's the only way it won't look terrible. Squishing isn't a viable option.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Update: If anyone can recommend me either a free, or cheap, video conversion software that can squish 16:9 video to 4:3, as I want the opening, ending, eye catches, etc to be the same aspect ratio as the footage, that'd be fantastic.
Handbrake could crop opening and ending to 4:3, and that's the only way it won't look terrible. Squishing isn't a viable option.
I have handbrake, but how do I set it to do that?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Under the "Picture" configuration, there's an option for cropping. Change the setting from automatic to custom, and cut the picture down to the proper 4:3 ratio manually
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Handbrake could crop opening and ending to 4:3, and that's the only way it won't look terrible. Squishing isn't a viable option.
Under the "Picture" configuration, there's an option for cropping. Change the setting from automatic to custom, and cut the picture down to the proper 4:3 ratio manually
What would I set the numbers to? They're all on 0.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:What would I set the numbers to? They're all on 0.
You're using a Blu-ray rip, right? For 1080p, I think 240 off the left and right should be right, which would leave you with a resolution of 1440x1080. If you're going to scale the opening down to match the Dragon Box footage, you'll want to go ahead and reduce that to to 640x480. Afterwards, go to the video and audio settings and make sure everything's how you want it, and that ought to do it.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:What would I set the numbers to? They're all on 0.
You're using a Blu-ray rip, right? For 1080p, I think 240 off the left and right should be right, which would leave you with a resolution of 1440x1080. If you're going to scale the opening down to match the Dragon Box footage, you'll want to go ahead and reduce that to to 640x480. Afterwards, go to the video and audio settings and make sure everything's how you want it, and that ought to do it.
Actually, the rips I downloaded are 720p for some reason.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Scsigs wrote:Actually, the rips I downloaded are 720p for some reason.
If possible, you'll want to use rips from your own copies, re-encoding multiple times generally results in a loss of detail. If you can't rip your blu-rays for some reason, take 160 off each side for a 720p video
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Actually, the rips I downloaded are 720p for some reason.
If possible, you'll want to use rips from your own copies, re-encoding multiple times generally results in a loss of detail. If you can't rip your blu-rays for some reason, take 160 off each side for a 720p video
I'd need a Blu-Ray drive for that & I don't have one.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 am

Hey, guys. I'm posting this update to say I have the first scene in TFC done & will be posting a link to where I'll store it after it's finished processing & I upload it. I'm doing this because 1. It's about midnight where I am & this is all I can stomach doing right now, 2. It's easier to save scenes, then compile them together later, 3. I'd like some feedback on my work thus far,& 4. I wanted to tell you guys that, unfortunately, the Handbrake cropping turned out poorly, as the opening was left feeling weird to me just in the first few seconds of it. I have a feeling that certain shots in it were cropped from 4:3 anyways (the shot of Babidi & Dabura's a dead giveaway). Why the team at Toei did that, I'll never know. So, yeah, unfortunately, the show will have an inconsistent aspect ratio when going from the Dragon Box footage to the Kai openings, closings, & eye catches until such a time where I can download a feasible video editing software that'll allow me to "squish," for lack of a better term, the 16:9 footage to 4:3. I'm thinking Adobe Premiere Pro CC, since I've used it to stretch 4:3 video to 16:9 before, but I need to pay for it monthly, so I'll be waiting on that. Until then, inconsistent aspect ratios! But, hey, isn't that what Kai was all along? Just a sea of inconsistent aspect ratios?
Joking aside, thanks for your patience if you've been waiting. I'm specifically waiting until days where I have nothing to do to edit these, so expect, generally, 1 episode a week. That's the best I can do for now, as editing really bores/frustrates the hell out of me after a few minutes, which is why I don't do a lot of extensive editing for my non-gaming YouTube videos. Also, until I can have someone help me with audio editing, I'll not be editing the audio to any significant degree, sorry.

Edit: The link's up. Let me know how I did.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 am

That sure is Kai synched with Dragon Box. I'm not sure how much interest the Kai crowd has in picture quality, but if there's a market for it, you've done a great job here. How do you plan on proceeding once you hit the problems with the English Track?
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:That sure is Kai synched with Dragon Box. I'm not sure how much interest the Kai crowd has in picture quality, but if there's a market for it, you've done a great job here. How do you plan on proceeding once you hit the problems with the English Track?
If you mean where the dub audio was off on the home releases, I downloaded the corrected audio files that that other guy did. I'll be using those after a bit when the problems started arising.
As for the video, I was worried that some things were gonna be slightly off, since I'm both watching the episodes to get the basic timings down & also somewhat editing the video to the dub audio, but once I watched the finished product after I published it, it felt good. I don't foresee many problems with watching it in the future after it's finished, especially since I'm using iMovie to edit these.

Edit: By the way, do you think you could help me locate the footage from Pre-Cell Games from Z? I'd just need episode numbers & I can handle the rest. If someone else can, that'd be cool too.
There's Shenron & the Dragon Balls from the first shot, Goku fading from a kid, to a teen, to his young adulthood, his face off with Vegeta, him decking Jeice in the schnoz, a shot of Ginyu when he uses Kaioken, Frieza posing, hitting Piccolo with his death beam, exploding Krillin, Goku going Super Saiyan, them fighting, Frieza trying to kill him, but Goku blasts him instead, Frieza arriving on Earth, Trunks killing him, 17 & 18's first appearance, 16 awakening, Cell attaining his perfect form, then waiting in his arena, Mr. Satan challenging him, him fighting Goku, Gohan fighting Cell, & everything else till the end of the arc. I ask because I need them for the recap.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:47 am

Scsigs wrote:Edit: By the way, do you think you could help me locate the footage from Pre-Cell Games from Z? I'd just need episode numbers & I can handle the rest. If someone else can, that'd be cool too.
There's Shenron & the Dragon Balls from the first shot, Goku fading from a kid, to a teen, to his young adulthood, his face off with Vegeta, him decking Jeice in the schnoz, a shot of Ginyu when he uses Kaioken, Frieza posing, hitting Piccolo with his death beam, exploding Krillin, Goku going Super Saiyan, them fighting, Frieza trying to kill him, but Goku blasts him instead, Frieza arriving on Earth, Trunks killing him, 17 & 18's first appearance, 16 awakening, Cell attaining his perfect form, then waiting in his arena, Mr. Satan challenging him, him fighting Goku, Gohan fighting Cell, & everything else till the end of the arc. I ask because I need them for the recap.
That's a lot to find... if I have a totally free hour sometime, I might look for them.
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:04 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Edit: By the way, do you think you could help me locate the footage from Pre-Cell Games from Z? I'd just need episode numbers & I can handle the rest. If someone else can, that'd be cool too.
That's a lot to find... if I have a totally free hour sometime, I might look for them.
All right. I might just skim the DBZ episode summaries on the DB wiki, but that's gonna be a pain in the ass.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Hey, guys. Finally updating this.

First of all, sorry I haven't update this in a few months. First I had work 5 days a week, which left me drained & ate up most of the days, so I didn't wanna even THINK about anything that would even remotely be just as draining on me (which editing is for me), then I had my YouTube channels to think about, so I prioritized those over this project. I can imagine that, just like my readers on Fanfiction.net & AO3, the few who follow this project have been wondering when I'll update this. Well...

Second, wait no more. In a bit, I'll be posting a link to the first episode of this project (note that since this is using exclusively Dragon Box footage, minus the openings, endings, & eye catches, it won't have the first 6-9 or so minutes of the episode because it's a recap of the first 98 episodes & I have the DBox footage on one of my external hard drives & I'd like to save space on my laptop by not having a lot of episodes just to sift through exclusively for the recap. Don't worry. Eventually I'll go back through & re-edit the first 98 episodes with this footage too, as is my mission statement, I'm just prioritizing TFC first since the footage from there is perfectly fine to watch, unless anyone can point out to me which Z episodes the recap uses footage from, in which case I'll edit it post hate & link the full version) for you guys. I think you'll like it.
(You know what, I'm doing nothing right now, so I'll try to narrow down the episodes through the DB wiki for the Kai episodes, but we'll see. I'll keep you guys posted.)

Third, I was also thinking of going back through for a second pass & enhancing the footage myself to make the footage feel slightly less...old. Not to say the footage isn't perfectly good, it's just that the color correction could've been a bit better. Nothing too drastic, just a slight enhance, but I decided not now. Though if anyone wants me too, at least as a test run, I'll give it some thought.
I'm just giving my work a full preview before I export the whole thing. See ya in a bit...

Update: Got episode 1 up, enjoy! Something I learned through this is that there are a LOT of rearranged scenes. The bank robbers at the beginning had some scenes rearranged, the classroom scene DEFINITELY did, & there are a LOT of minutes cut out from the 2 episode I edited, mostly due to the recap. I may have some different timings than the official edited, but they're probably so minuscule that it doesn't matter. Also a reused shot of Erasa talking to Gohan from a few moments prior to when it shows up first, just slowed down. Also, if anyone else attempts anything like this in the future, a base speed to automatically set the Z clips to is 110%, since the episodes move at a faster pace in Kai, obviously. The only normal-speed clips are towards the end, where Videl follows Gohan. Other than those, nope. Japanese animation, man.
Also, this episode fixes, I'm assuming, a continuity error from the Z episode, as the teacher that introduces Gohan is NOT the teacher for the rest of the episodes in Z that take place in the high school, so they edit in a freeze-frame of him in place of the female teacher from the original.
Also, if you listen more closely, the coach has a slight lisp on top of the British accent. Just something I heard rewinding the episode to get the timings as good as I could.
Just thought I'd get into the process a bit each time I get an episode done. I'm gonna try to do one of these every 1-2 weeks. Maybe more, but I doubt it. Enjoy, guys.