Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 pm

NOTE: Please be sure to have watched the episode with any necessary subtitles (see: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation) before discussing. It'll help, trust me.

The Kanzenshuu forum rules are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super episode 103, aired 13 August 2017

悟飯よ非情なれ! 第10宇宙との決戦!!
Gohan yo, Hijō-Nare! Dai-jū Uchū to no Kessen!!
Gohan, Be Ruthless! The Showdown with Universe 10!!

Summary:
Ribrianne vows vengeance against No.17 for knocking out Kakunsa, calling him an evil that threatens Universe 2. But 17 doesn’t seem to mind being called “evil”, and says he’ll force Ribrianne from the stage in order to ensure Universe 7’s survival. They begin fighting to see which is stronger, Ribrianne’s love or 17’s wish, and seem to trade blows evenly.

Meanwhile Goku is still fighting against Rozie, who is likewise upset over Kakunsa’s defeat. She fires a barrage of energy balls to fully surround Goku, cutting off all escape routes, but 17 jumps in at the last minute to shield Goku with an energy barrier. 17 offers to help Goku out further, but Goku refuses, so 17 goes back to fighting Ribrianne (who’s mad at 17 for ignoring her). Goku begins his counterattack, having now grown accustomed to Rozie’s fighting style, and has her on the ropes before too long.

Ribrianne steps in between Goku and Rozie to break up their fight and check that Rozie isn’t injured, before the U2 Yardratian Jimeze pops in and teleports the two of them to safety. Goku and 17 go off to find new opponents, leaving Beerus annoyed at Goku’s behavior, but Champa says Beerus has more than Goku to be worried about...and indeed, at that moment Gohan and Piccolo are confronted by Botamo. Gohan elects to fight Botamo on his own, unleashing a flurry of punches that don’t faze him in the least. Piccolo knows Gohan must be aware that Botamo doesn’t take damage or tire out, so he’s curious how he plans to fight him.

Goku stops by to observe Gohan’s fight. He told Gohan about his own battle with Botamo, so he’s sure Gohan has some strategy in mind. Sure enough, though Gohan’s constant stream of punches don’t hurt Botamo, they manage to lift his feet off the ground and slowly push him back towards the edge of the arena. Realizing too late, Champa warns Botamo first to counterattack, then to run away, but Botamo fails at both. Gohan finally sends Botamo flying out of the arena with a Kamehameha, and easily blocks Botamo’s parting shot.

Satisfied, Goku goes off elsewhere, while new challengers appear before Gohan and Piccolo: the U10 warriors Obuni and Rubalt. Obuni has picked Gohan out as a worthy opponent, while Rubalt is itching to fight Piccolo. Both accept the challenge, while elsewhere Jimeze takes out U10’s Jilcol, leaving Obuni and Rubalt as U10’s last two remaining fighters. On the sidelines, Gowasu thinks they should accept their fate, but Rumoosh is still pinning his hopes on Obuni and Rubalt.

The two pairs of fighters begin to battle, and Obuni is impressed that Gohan can keep up with his movements; he was indeed right to select him as an opponent. However, Obuni starts splitting up into a series of afterimages, and though Gohan can still sense Obuni’s ki, he can’t pin down his position. As Gohan struggles, Gowasu’s mood turns around as he now thinks they have a shot at winning. In the U7 section of the bleachers, Whis explains that Obuni is shifting his internal ki away from his body’s movements, thereby foiling Gohan’s ability to track his position by sensing ki.

Meanwhile, Piccolo fires a series of energy blasts at Rubalt, and while they seem to miss, in reality they surround him and cut off all escape routes. Piccolo directs these blasts at Rubalt all at once, knocking him unconscious. To finish the job, Piccolo throws Rubalt out of the arena, thus properly eliminating him according to tournament rules. After being teleported to U10’s part of the bleachers, Rubalt apologizes to Gowasu for losing, but by now Gowasu is so certain Obuni is unbeatable that he doesn’t even mind.

Gohan continues to be pummeled by Obuni’s attacks, but he refuses to give up. The next time one of Obuni’s attacks connects, Gohan immediately counterattacks, this time managing to hit Obuni. Beerus and Whis realizes that Gohan is letting himself get hit in order to determine Obuni’s position and successfully counterattack. While effective, this means that Gohan will continue to take damage from Obuni’s attacks. Thankfully though, before too long Gohan’s attacks are hitting more and more, due to Obuni no longer having enough energy left to continue feinting. Gohan finishes off with another Kamehameha, sending Obuni out of bounds.

With that, all of U10’s warriors have been eliminated, and the Great Priest announces that their universe will accordingly be destroyed. Despite this, Gowasu genuinely commends Obuni for putting up a good fight. Gohan sees a locket on the ground, which fell from Obuni’s body as he was sent flying. The locket contains a photo of Obuni with what appear to be his wife and child, and Gohan sighs deeply as he looks at it. As the two Omni-Kings combine forces to annihilate U10, the U10 fighters and gods all vanish, leaving only the angel Cus behind to mourn for Rumoosh. Piccolo calls for Gohan that it’s time for them to go, and after bracing himself Gohan agrees and follows after.

37 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Torturephile » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm

-Some pretty good action throughout with a glint of nice choreography between Goku and Rozie when he copied Rozie's Yacchaina Fist. I like that people from different universes look after their teammates. Good touch.
-Ribrianne called 17 evil just like Toppo did to Goku, and it was funny to see Android 17 (who stole the show in the first half of the episode) play along like the others and talked loudly, my guess as a way of making fun of Ribrianne.
-Goku once again sandbags it but missed the chance of knocking Rozie out. He once again drops his guard, but at this point I think it's more of a running gag than a sign of upcoming character development despite getting constantly adviced about it. This time, though, I believe it was on purpose to observe how Rozie fights. Rozie strangely blames Goku for knocking Kakunsa out when it was 17 who did.
-Helles should trademark her pose and moves.
-Tons of Makūhōidan (Hellzone Grenade) today. It seems 17 still remembers his fight with Piccolo as he protected Goku from Rozie's Yacchaina Fist just like he did to himself back then. Good job.
-At first I thought Gohan was acting like an idiot for punching Botamo, but he surprised me with his strategy. It makes me glad Botamo is out. I don't care about him, and serves Champa well for acting like a bigger dick during this saga than he was before.
-Props for Piccolo for not wasting time and for throwing Rubalt out as soon as he knocked him out.
-I liked Obuni, first for falling for the Kamikaze Fireballs' foul odor, and today for being respectful towards Gohan and recognizing him as a warrior, which is a a nice change from seeing random fighters acting like rogues. Him having a family like Gohan's (and a son that looks like Ike of South Park) was cute. Sad to see him and specially Gowasu go. Props for Gowasu for being sincere with his praises towards his fallen warriors and for still clinging to hope.
-I never expected a Yardrat (Yimeze) attracting women, but there it is. I should learn how to teleport.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:08 pm

A somewhat good episode, interesting fights, but without decent conclusions.

- I loved how #17 was messing around with Ribrianne and yet people say he is bland, I don't think so lol

- So, fighters in the ring have time to comment fights now? Gosh, this doesn't feel like only 48 minutes for f***'s sake.

- Gohan vs. Obuni was quite impressive in the beginning, I liked the new tracks used in these scenes :thumbup:

- I didn't thought I would see Hellzone Grenade done twice in this episode, it's a Piccolo technique, but seeing used earlier by Rozie affected the appeal of his victory to me

- Don't like much how they use 'Mystic' as a transformation the bang hair to differentiate from Base Gohan lol

- I thought Gohan would care more about Obuni saying he has people to protect just like him, but it was a good scene nonetheless. It's sad for him to be responsible for one universe erasure, but it's all a matter of survival, after all

- You gotta love how Regret plays whenever an universe is erased :)

- In the NEP Goku didn't explain why he need to use SSJ God again, hope he explains in the actual episode.
Last edited by Noah on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm

Dear god! DID THAT ANGEL JUST GIVE AN IOTA OF A SHIT ABOUT SOMETHING!?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 pm

A great episode, albeit the second half better than the first. Goku/17's fights with the Magical girls comes to a quick conclusion and no knockouts. I loved the Yardrat coming to save them and knocking out the blue Indian looking guy though.

Gohan and Piccolo's fights were both good. While Gohan/Botamo was just alright, I loved the fight with Gohan and U10's most powerful warrior. Some great techniques there. Piccolo finally getting a win was nice too, in a rather short but sweet battle.

Lastly the locket showing the guys family and Gohan being sad the universe was erased got to me. I'm glad they're reminding us of this. The Angel also being sad herself was a nice change of pace from U9's Angel.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Noah wrote:
- I didn't thought I would see Hellzone Grenade done twice in this episode, it's a Piccolo technique, but seeing used earlier by Rozie affected the appeal of his victory to me
Rozie's was different though. He sent out energy blasts as he was being attacked, and then used them as a counter. Piccolo shoots out energy blasts as he's on the offense and pretends he misses, then launches them all at once.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I did get to see it after all.

What a depressing ending! Like, this is a dark arc, and not in a fun way.

The action with Gohan was good. Saying goodbye to Gowasu was not. I felt bad for Cus too; she seemed to care at least about Rumoosh.

Ribrianne continues to be old-school Precure with the fisticuffs; which is fun and makes me sad that this year's Precure has sworn that off.

Looking forward to ssjg Goku next weekend though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I'll just copy and paste from the other thread:

This episode was terrible. It's one of those cases of events unfolding that, on paper, should be exciting, but the execution making everything horrendously anti-climactic and hollow.

-Having two different characters using that scatter shot technique seemed lazy. Both cases were rip-offs of Piccolo's original battle with Android 17, only with little emotion attached. You can call this a homage, but Super has been doing stuff like this so much, I'm convinced the creators have no imagination and are just reusing scenes from the superior show to compensate.

-So Gohan is over there punching Botamo for like a minute. Goku appears and is like "I'm sure Gohan has a strategy against Botamo." As you would expect from the guy who was hired as captain and has come up with other grand masterful plans in this tournament (e.g. hiding, and making a friend circle), Gohan does not disappoint: he punches Botamo EVEN HARDER. lol. Botamo just stood there taking it cause even he was dazzled that someone could concoct such a brilliant strategy. Seriously, these writers are terrible.

-Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.

-So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".

On a side note, they dropped the ball by not having Goku Black part of Universe 10. We already hit fan service category; one more wouldn't have hurt.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 pm

The ideas were there, I liked where they went with the second half, but the execution just felt so underwhelming and rushed, just like the entire tournament so far. You could have cut out the entire first half of the episode and dedicated the episode to the emotional struggle of Gohan and the U10 crew and you would have ended up with a much better result. The reactions to U10's erasure barely lasted a few seconds when it should have been a much more impactful moment due to the fact that it's the only other universes besides U6 we've seen before this arc.

This arc still lacks focus. It's just hastily moving from plot point to plot point without executing any of them or the scenes in-between correctly.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 pm

The shots at the end were reused from when Universe 9 was erased, weren't they? The constant reuse of animation is really getting annoying.

Also, it's a little disappointing that Goku and Vegeta didn't have any reaction to Gowasu getting erased.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Ok episode. I didn't like how Botamo lost. But is that the first time we've seen all of universe 6? Couple of Namek looking guys I don't recall seeing before.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: -Did anyone notice Gohan going ultimate? I know, I nearly missed it too. He might as well have burped to power up. It was the equivalent of Tien or Krillin powering up. No dramatic music, earthquakes, or even a change of pace. The battle just repeated the same afterimage, punch punch nonsense, only Gohan could endure a punch in the gut now. Goodness, they should NOT have revealed his ultimate form in that recruitment episode. The scene there should have been reserved for the tournament in a sequence where he is getting his ass beat, and he should have subsequently single-handedly taken out 5 Universe 10 guys on his own. That would have been much cooler.
What? Why should there be a big dramatic scene for Gohan going Ultimate again? Now it's just a transformation, there would be no big deal. I find this complaint bizarre, having the recruitment episode to see him unlock it again rather than it just randomly happening now was a great idea.
So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".rt.
There was plenty of emotion in that scene, and Gohan had a close up of his face looking at it twice, along with him clenching his fists and Piccolo looking on. You have some bizarre double standards when you say something doesn't happen when it goes.

I also imagine as more and more universes go, we'll continue to get more sad scenes or Gohan being bothered by this.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 pm

An episode with a both of scenes that somewhat warmed up but then fell flat.

- I loved how 17 introduced himself as Cyborg 17/Jinzouningen and how he was more playful.
- Goku learning from his fights like nothing is a classic. He does that all the time. Also love it whenever that is referenced in GT.
- I loved how he protected Goku
- I loved the return of Hell Grenade
- Gohan beating Botamo was okay but the way of doing so was weird as hell. Okay, he lifted him. But 1) even while constantly being pushed back Botamo should be able to avoid falling off, do they want to tell me, this guy has not learned anything and only is able to say he cannot (also with no one helping him if he really cannot - is it really supposed to be serious that once you lose ground a warriors like them cannot dodge and block at all - apparently so because it happened to 18 as well but still very weird), and 2) the weirdest part was that Botamo who I guess is even more broken than Alternate Zamasu suddenly started getting hit by Gohan's kick and all for the last few hits. If that was also just a blockback, well, fine but it looked very weird considering this guy neutalizes everything. This comes from someone who pretty much takes things in the show as they are because it is how it is. But this was just like suddenly Botamo lost his ability. Oh well, maybe there is a reason like Botamo needing to consciously doing the neutralizing and not being able to do that right before Gohan ringed him out, maybe the kick and stuff, maybe there is not.
- Helles with her return of her pose annoyed me.
- The Yardratian protecting the Sailor Scout was somewhat nice.
- I expected more form the last Universe 10 warriors. Piccolo's opponent was down like nothing, Gowasu is fine with that because og the other guy - it was cool to see Gowasu like that for 5 seconds - and the strategy was also quite nice. And then it was over already.
- At least they tried to make it a bit sad with the family reference of Obuni
- I liked how Gohan cared but then recovered with Piccolo calling him. Piccolo knows how Gohan is but Gohan also knows he cannot cry for a year in the desert.
- No "Zamasu ..." from Gowasu at the very end but Gowasu took it like a boss. Was the God of Destruction in his final moment even shown? I do not even remember.
- At least Cus ?cared?
Last edited by Cetra on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Didn't think any of the U10 warriors would turn out likable, but Obuni was pretty damn cool. He had a unique ability, and he was very respectful towards Gohan. Sucks even more that we see he had a family to protect. Gohan clearly related to that.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 pm

I liked it. Things definitely picked up in the second half. Lots of cool action. Loved the ending with Gohan looking at the locket.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:24 pm

An Ok episode mostly because of the second half. The first half was pretty dull for the most part.

17 playing the evil villain to Ribriannes Magical Girl was pretty funny. It's also the most emotion 17 has shown in the entire arc.

A lot of reused animation. Yet the only one that still bugs me is the one where the U2 God of Destruction does that pose again. I don't know why that one in particular irks me but it does.

This part of Gokus fight with Rozie was pretty darn cool.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Yardrat to the rescue. He is pretty cool and am happy he is being put to use. I want to say he is up to something, but I don't want to put my foot in my mouth with my weird paranoia, so I'll forget this odd feeling I get from him.

Gohan knocking out Botamo was neat I suppose. Even though they bent the rules on his power a little bit in order to give Gohan the win. It's fine, I don't care all the much about Botamo, though even that fact that I don't care about him is a little annoying. I don't like that his entire thing is standing there and taking hits.

Gowasu accepting his fate is so sad, especially since Obuni brings him hope again. Speaking of which.

I love Obuni! He should have had all the focus that Murricham had. The way he fight's is really cool, and the fight with Gohan was really well done, I feel. And that bit with the locket really brought him some depth that really would have done a lot of good if it was expanded on a bit. Oh well. For what we got from him, I really liked. Did they use new music in this fight? I don't recall this track during the first parts of the fights.

Piccolo did a thing. That's neat.

Gowasu praising Obuni for doing well and then all of them accepting their erasure coupled with Cus's reaction made U10's elimination a little more sad than I thought it was going to be. RIP Gowasu. See ya when they wish you back!

Gohans reaction was also great. No words. Just sad face, moment of silence, clenched fist, and moving on.

SSJ god next episode. Crossing fingers that this is good. Please let it be good.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Also I thought 17 in this episode acted a lot more like DBZ 17. That cocky expression on his face was something I missed from the previous episode.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: -So Universe 10 just perished. You know, the only other universe we knew about prior to this tournament. Why was there hardly any emotion in this scene? Throwing in a little locket, reminding us of the obvious, didn't add to the fact that this was all so garsh darn hollow. Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".
I hate that shit, so glad that they didn't do that. Gohan didn't need to say or do anything in that scene. This isn't Naruto. You don't need a character to go on some righteous monologue for 5 minutes about what's bad. That was one of the many reasons why I dropped Naruto.

And there was a connection between Gohan and that Universe 10 warrior. Both had families. Both had something to fight for. In the end, Gohan was the one that won. Plain and simple. That was enough for me.

lord turbo
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm

I give this episode a 6/10 when I wanted to initially give it a 5/10, Gohan and Piccolo (Despite their battles being alrite) kind of represented, 17's battle with chubby was kind of dull and uneventful, but 17's "I don't really give a damn" attitude makes me laugh for some reason, and I do like how Gowasu showed passion and faith in his fighters even if he felt his fate was inevitable, a real class act. This episodes did give me this...

https://imgur.com/LtWlf19
https://imgur.com/vPM5bYF

Which hurt my sides something fierce. :lol:

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 pm

This episode was ok
    The good
      #17 vs Ribrianne was a good I like how #17 messing around with her and Seeing Goku outsmarted Rozie was great.
        Jimizu is cool seeing him saving Ribrianne and Rozie was nice.Also he is quite the Ladyman.
          Gohan vs Obuni was good fight and I like Obuni ability it so cool.
            Man seeing U10 erased was so sad RIP Gowasu :( also poor Cus I guess she care for her universe.
              The bad
                The pacing is bad.
                  Gohan eliminating Botamo was Lame.
                    Piccolo vs Rubalt was Rushed.
                      The reused animation was tedious.
                        Final Verdict
                          This episode was ok through Elimination of U10 was Rushed.The NEP is gonna be good.
                          Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.