Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Asura wrote:Well for starters people shouldn't be expecting a fleshed out 80 man battle royale unless we had like 20 episodes solely dedicated just to learning about other characters from other universes. I'm guessing this would bore the crap out of the average viewer at home because where's Goku.

But given what they've already done in the recruitment arc, the tournament should have been given a few adjustments. Like some have said, some cuts in some of the episodes to other universes fighting would have been great. In ep. 97 the first episode of the tournament they did a good job in showing all the universes fighting each other in the chaos like Goku vs that guy from U4, Basil vs the flying girl from U10, A18 vs Cocotte I think it was? Vegeta vs man who can withstand a million punches, Toppo vs Murichim, etc.

Just like 30 seconds to a minute or so during every episode or every other episode that shows a few random mooks fighting each other and even getting KOs would be good to show us that A. they're still fighting in the background and B. they're actually knocking each other out so U7 and U6 don't get literally every knockout.

We don't need Goku in every single episode. Goku was in Krillin's episode for like 1 minute then it focused entirely on Krillin and 18. The same thing should have been done with this episode. 17 and Goku should have wrapped things up with the Yardrat teleporting everyone away in like the first two minutes of the episode and the rest of the time should have been focused solely on Gohan and Piccolo. Could very well have possibly been the best episode of the tournament if it had gone this way and Gohan and Obuni were allowed to make a real connection during their fight and then he got erased afterwards, because as is the locket with the picture of his family was very underwhelming given we knew almost nothing about him and him and Gohan didn't fight for that long or make that much of a connection during their fight since it was so short.
is not that i want 80 character flesh out,the last episode did a fine job introducing us the kamikaze fireball with no backstory,I wouldn't have mind of obuni was the only flesh out character in u10,you forgot to add you can't waste the character that was introduced before the Top,you know who in referring to and they shouldn't waste a universe that quickly like 9
Mostly active on discord.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:40 pm

In all honesty, animation isn't the issue (though it does get iffy a lot). These battles lack structure, creativity, and layers to them. It just tatatatatatatta > beams > reused sequences from the past > ta ta taaaaaaaa. They're very brief and rushed.

I don't even know if this is a bad thing though, considering they're doing so little for us to care for these characters, I actually feel satisfaction when they're instantly ringed out cause I want this arc to get to the ****ing point already. If there was ever an arc in this franchise that gave you blue balls, it's this one.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
I don't even know if this is a bad thing though, considering they're doing so little for us to care for these characters, I actually feel satisfaction when they're instantly ringed out cause I want this arc to get to the ****ing point already. If there was ever an arc in this franchise that gave you blue balls, it's this one.
You're not supposed to care about the majority of the 70 other fighters. They just have some decent fights with the main cast and others are just designs.

You can tell Toei only intended about 10 of them, besides the already established U6 characters, to have some actual character or be relevant.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I actually feel satisfaction when they're instantly ringed out cause I want this arc to get to the ****ing point already. If there was ever an arc in this franchise that gave you blue balls, it's this one.
Honestly, you might be too old to enjoy Dragon Ball if you just want to immediately skip to the end of everything. We're basically at Kai pacing right now and you're already complaining about wanting to get to the end. How did you ever survive watching Z?

Either that or perhaps this is one of your first times watching anime as its released every week and not on a binge watch basis? Cause I can understand if that's the case.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Also if you want to "get to the point" that's like saying you can skip all the matches in the original Dragonball tournaments and just watch the final match of Goku Vs. Jackie Chun or Tenshinhan or Piccolo because we know that's what those tournaments were leading to.

You can use that logic for any tournament in any show ever. The final match is usually the only real important one, and all the other matches to get to that point are just there in the meantime.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

precita wrote:Yep, those fights also had excellent animation. I honestly don't know what people want.

Especially the people who said, "the characters are just moving around on-screen," ....lol. We see all various techniques and strategy being used by every character. I guess you can say Gohan/Botamo was just bland punching, which it was, but not for anything else.
Because a loud contingent of DBs fandom hates any and all animation that's not 100% on model at all times. Regardless if loose art is used to enhance a fight scene, if Vegeta's hair is drawn at an 89 degree angle instead of a 90 degree one, it's shit "animation".
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
precita wrote:Yep, those fights also had excellent animation. I honestly don't know what people want.

Especially the people who said, "the characters are just moving around on-screen," ....lol. We see all various techniques and strategy being used by every character. I guess you can say Gohan/Botamo was just bland punching, which it was, but not for anything else.
Because a loud contingent of DBs fandom hates any and all animation that's not 100% on model at all times. Regardless if loose art is used to enhance a fight scene, if Vegeta's hair is drawn at an 89 degree angle instead of a 90 degree one, it's shit "animation".
The animation was technically good but the fights were still all trash. Little creativity despite Obuni's cool ability and bland choreography, just a flurry of punches and clashes followed up with a Kamehameha, this happened against Botamo and Obuni. Same with Piccolo's fight, just replace Kamehameha with the Hellzone Grenade. Best choreography in the entire episode went to Goku vs Rozie due to the creative way Ki blasts were utilized on both sides.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 pm

precita wrote:Also if you want to "get to the point" that's like saying you can skip all the matches in the original Dragonball tournaments and just watch the final match of Goku Vs. Jackie Chun or Tenshinhan or Piccolo because we know that's what those tournaments were leading to.

You can use that logic for any tournament in any show ever. The final match is usually the only real important one, and all the other matches to get to that point are just there in the meantime.
I think many people just want to know who faces who and how far everyone goes as it seems like this arc could easily last the rest of the year and waiting a week is long for some people and we are going to have a 1 week break soon as well.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Asura wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I actually feel satisfaction when they're instantly ringed out cause I want this arc to get to the ****ing point already. If there was ever an arc in this franchise that gave you blue balls, it's this one.
Honestly, you might be too old to enjoy Dragon Ball if you just want to immediately skip to the end of everything. We're basically at Kai pacing right now and you're already complaining about wanting to get to the end. How did you ever survive watching Z?

Either that or perhaps this is one of your first times watching anime as its released every week and not on a binge watch basis? Cause I can understand if that's the case.
You misunderstand. I'm complaining because the pacing is actually very rushed. The reason I want it to get to the point is because the way this arc is written leaves me to believe the writers themselves want to get it over with. There's no care given to any of these new characters, so every episode feels like the same thing over and over. No rhyme, no rhythm. Nothing special. To be blunt, they suck. The recruitment episodes were more exciting. Having to wait a week for a new episode also adds to the impatience, so you got a point there.

With that being said, you're right in that I probably wouldn't survive watching an anime paced like DBZ, episode by episode, now compared to when I was a kid though. Honestly, who would? I enjoy Kai very much so.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

The animation was technically good but the fights were still all trash. Little creativity despite Obuni's cool ability and bland choreography, just a flurry of punches and clashes followed up with a Kamehameha, this happened against Botamo and Obuni. Same with Piccolo's fight, just replace Kamehameha with the Hellzone Grenade. Best choreography in the entire episode went to Goku vs Rozie due to the creative way Ki blasts were utilized on both sides.
Dragon Ball's Achilles heel is always it's tendency to just make every thing a flurry of blows or fuck off laser blast. Seriously, try to write a fight scene for this show, you will exhaust every method of describing a thrown punch or fired blast within two sentences.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Noah wrote:So, we've been through 103 episodes and you only realized that now?
No, just that it's getting worse.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Asura wrote:

You misunderstand. I'm complaining because the pacing is actually very rushed. The reason I want it to get to the point is because the way this arc is written leaves me to believe the writers themselves want to get it over with. There's no care given to any of these new characters, so every episode feels like the same thing over and over. No rhyme, no rhythm. Nothing special. To be blunt, they suck. The recruitment episodes were more exciting. Having to wait a week for a new episode also adds to the impatience, so you got a point there.

With that being said, you're right in that I probably wouldn't survive watching an anime paced like DBZ, episode by episode, now compared to when I was a kid though. Honestly, who would? I enjoy Kai very much so.
I don't understand your logic. You feel as if the pacing is rushed yet you want to see the end already? Sounds rather counter intuitive.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

The fights are some of the most creative of anything we've seen in Dragonball in years.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball's Achilles heel is always it's tendency to just make every thing a flurry of blows or fuck off laser blast. Seriously, try to write a fight scene for this show, you will exhaust every method of describing a thrown punch or fired blast within two sentences.
You can always slow the pace down. Like so. If you want to keep fast-paced action, well, if the characters improved on their techniques or created new ones, we wouldn't have this mess. It's like the standard Kamehameha is the only technique you're allowed to use. When was the last time we saw a bending Kamehameha?
precita wrote:The fights are some of the most creative of anything we've seen in Dragonball in years.
Besides Obuni's ability and Goku vs Rozie, how were the fights in this episode (because I didn't criticize the arc as a whole for the lackluster fights) creative in any way?
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Dissapointed that Botamo continually gets no respect what so ever.

Obuni should have been the team leader he's at least got some personality.

17 goofing around was the only bit I found interesting.

Dyspo better get a decent fight

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Dragon Ball's Achilles heel is always it's tendency to just make every thing a flurry of blows or fuck off laser blast. Seriously, try to write a fight scene for this show, you will exhaust every method of describing a thrown punch or fired blast within two sentences.
You can always slow the pace down. Like so. If you want to keep fast-paced action, well, if the characters improved on their techniques or created new ones, we wouldn't have this mess. It's like the standard Kamehameha is the only technique you're allowed to use. When was the last time we saw a bending Kamehameha?
I'm still waiting for someone to fire off continuous ki blasts from their hands and feet Iron Man style to fly. Seriously, why is shooting laser s out of your feet a lost art when that let Goku best Piccolo.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Asura wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Asura wrote:

I don't understand your logic. You feel as if the pacing is rushed yet you want to see the end already? Sounds rather counter intuitive.
They're rushing through the fights to get rid of the fodder characters and reach the battles that actually matter. Hence, I want them to get to the point because it's clear they're putting minimal effort into these episodes. If they don't care about these new characters, why should I? It's a snoozefest.

Ideally, I should be anticipating the final battles, but also be enjoying the initial ones enough to not mind them getting to the point or not because enough care and creativity is being placed into the episodes to keep me entertained while it all builds up to the climax. That's my gripe. The last tournament in DB is a good example of how to do this the right way, given all the interesting match-ups before Goku's fight with Piccolo. Hell, the Zeno exhibition was also way more interesting and made me care more for those wolf guys than nearly every single new character introduced since.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I think it would have been neat if gohan blindfolded himself to counter attack obuni feints,like lavender vs gohan
Last edited by The gr on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to fire off continuous ki blasts from their hands and feet Iron Man style to fly. Seriously, why is shooting laser s out of your feet a lost art when that let Goku best Piccolo.
I'm half-expecting Goku to fire off a feet Kamehameha when he's about to get knocked off, but that would be expecting too much creativity from this show.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Asura wrote:Honestly, you might be too old to enjoy Dragon Ball if you just want to immediately skip to the end of everything.
Remember the preliminary rounds in DB's tournaments ? you know, the ones that would take an episode to get through to decide who'd be the final 8 ? Would you want to sit through all those fights that would take multiple episodes to get through ?

That's essentially what they're doing now, what would take an episode back in the original to get to the main part of the torunament is taking countless ones now and for what ? Super isn't based off a manga so if any show should've taken this long it's the original but it didn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.