Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Episode 104 (20 August 2017)

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 pm

gofishus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Asura wrote:I'm still not even sure I understood what happened. Why/how was Goku just able to charge through like that completely unharmed? He just Leeroy'd through the whole thing without even so much as a scratch. Is there some ultra tank mode ability that SSB has I'm unaware of?
Goku's lack of battle damage is bothering me too. He's been in how many fights now? Kale ragdolled him and slammed him through mountains, Toppo buried him in the ground, Rozie and Dyspo both landed some hits on him and he isn't even scuffed! It wouldn't have been so noticeable if they hadn't shown him next to Hit and Caulifla who were both scratched up from one fight each.

I've been meaning to check the last couple arcs again to compare but I keep forgetting.
Super's animation in general is not as 'gritty' as DBZ I find... the whole aesthetic is way more toned down for kids. I remember I showed a few episodes of Super to my DBZ fan friend and he said 'who drew this? why do they all look like kids?' the art style as a whole is quite different tonally than DBZ... u won't find much blood in Super if at all..
For reference, the designs in Super aren't toned down for a child friendly audience, they just aren't anywhere as good as the designs used in Z. In fact, the character designs for Super are the most part pretty meh at best.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Is anybody going to mention that this episode implies that SSG, though way faster than Goku's Super Saiyan transformations, is only as powerful as his SS form?
Nothing implies such..
All the episode said about SSG is it's weaker and slower than SSB but has better stamina usage..
This is why they need to explain things. SSG hasn't been used in ages so it's likely they're not even using the same rules as when it was first used, and even then it was extremely vague to begin with, then he randomly goes SSG for a few seconds and then goes back to SSB anyways? A lot of debate has resulted from them over explaining things we already understand and then not explaining certain things at all. We know they're capable of it, they explained how Dyspo was able to temporarily counter Hit, but Goku randomly going a transformation he hasn't used in 50+ episodes is not worth even a single comment? There was plenty of time with them just standing around they could have easily explained it, but they chose not to.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 pm

gofishus wrote: Super's animation in general is not as 'gritty' as DBZ I find... the whole aesthetic is way more toned down for kids. I remember I showed a few episodes of Super to my DBZ fan friend and he said 'who drew this? why do they all look like kids?' the art style as a whole is quite different tonally than DBZ... u won't find much blood in Super if at all..
I don't care about blood. I'm just looking for torn clothes, scuffed up skin, stuff like that.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Asura wrote:I'm still not even sure I understood what happened. Why/how was Goku just able to charge through like that completely unharmed? He just Leeroy'd through the whole thing without even so much as a scratch. Is there some ultra tank mode ability that SSB has I'm unaware of?
Goku's lack of battle damage is bothering me too. He's been in how many fights now? Kale ragdolled him and slammed him through mountains, Toppo buried him in the ground, Rozie and Dyspo both landed some hits on him and he isn't even scuffed! It wouldn't have been so noticeable if they hadn't shown him next to Hit and Caulifla who were both scratched up from one fight each.

I've been meaning to check the last couple arcs again to compare but I keep forgetting.
Goku in general is a tanky mofo. I can see why Zamasu took his body. Fans say Vegeta's the one with monstrous durability, but Vegeta's durability is overrated. It's really Goku who has that crazy durability and endurance.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:02 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

Goku in general is a tanky mofo. I can see why Zamasu took his body. Fans say Vegeta's the one with monstrous durability, but Vegeta's durability is overrated. It's really Goku who has that crazy durability and endurance.
Well it's not like anyone he's fought has provided a significant challenge so I don't know why anyone would think he'd be tired or damaged. The only reason his fights are taking as long as they are is because he puts out zero effort he could have one shotted a majority of them.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Zagacious wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Goku's lack of battle damage is bothering me too. He's been in how many fights now? Kale ragdolled him and slammed him through mountains, Toppo buried him in the ground, Rozie and Dyspo both landed some hits on him and he isn't even scuffed! It wouldn't have been so noticeable if they hadn't shown him next to Hit and Caulifla who were both scratched up from one fight each.

Well it's not like anyone he's fought has provided a significant challenge so I don't know why anyone would think he'd be tired or damaged. The only reason his fights are taking as long as they are is because he puts out zero effort he could have one shotted a majority of them.
Of course there's that too. I mean his fight with Rozie shows it all: Intentionally lowers his power down to around her level so that he outwits her and uses her own attack against her instead of just straight stomping like he easily could have.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 pm

OLKv3 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That pic always makes me laugh
Do we really don't know yet who is behind all these strips? :lol: :clap:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Zagacious wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: Goku in general is a tanky mofo. I can see why Zamasu took his body. Fans say Vegeta's the one with monstrous durability, but Vegeta's durability is overrated. It's really Goku who has that crazy durability and endurance.
Of course there's that too. I mean his fight with Rozie shows it all: Intentionally lowers his power down to around her level so that he outwits her and uses her own attack against her instead of just straight stomping like he easily could have.
Yep, "Your fighting style was worth studying" = the new semi-legitimate excuse for characters to tone down.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Noah wrote:
Some dude on /a/ draws them.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Hit actually was very smart in dealing with Dyspo's speed. If anything, it shows that's when backed up into wall, Hit can use intelligence was outwit his opponents and beat them.
True. I was impressed.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 am

Dragon Wukong wrote:
Noah wrote:
Some dude on /a/ draws them.
I hope we still get them since /a/ is banning those DBS threads

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 am

JazzMazz wrote:
gofishus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Goku's lack of battle damage is bothering me too. He's been in how many fights now? Kale ragdolled him and slammed him through mountains, Toppo buried him in the ground, Rozie and Dyspo both landed some hits on him and he isn't even scuffed! It wouldn't have been so noticeable if they hadn't shown him next to Hit and Caulifla who were both scratched up from one fight each.

Super's animation in general is not as 'gritty' as DBZ I find... the whole aesthetic is way more toned down for kids. I remember I showed a few episodes of Super to my DBZ fan friend and he said 'who drew this? why do they all look like kids?' the art style as a whole is quite different tonally than DBZ... u won't find much blood in Super if at all..
For reference, the designs in Super aren't toned down for a child friendly audience, they just aren't anywhere as good as the designs used in Z. In fact, the character designs for Super are the most part pretty meh at best.
Not so much the designs but rather the color palette. I guess its just the times but I definitely has that being vibrant art style that kids like now. Though the last two arcs not as much.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

Noah wrote:
I swear I hate that the artist can't do a single picture without the dancing character. This is funny for one picture, then it is pure comedy inflation.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:00 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
gofishus wrote: Super's animation in general is not as 'gritty' as DBZ I find... the whole aesthetic is way more toned down for kids. I remember I showed a few episodes of Super to my DBZ fan friend and he said 'who drew this? why do they all look like kids?' the art style as a whole is quite different tonally than DBZ... u won't find much blood in Super if at all..
I don't care about blood. I'm just looking for torn clothes, scuffed up skin, stuff like that.
Hopefully we're going to get that later in the tournament if that poster is anything to go by with Goku all damaged and missing his shirt. Feels like the last time I saw that was the Freeza saga.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Is there an archive somewhere of those fan comics?

Also the reason Goku isn't hurt is because he's at like 1% power and is just dragging the fights out so he can savor them. Like someone taking their time with a nice meal.

Meanwhile Jiren and Toppo are letting their weak fighters tire out the other Universes and give them intel. That's why they are just standing there. They plan to fight when everyone else is tired and they know all their secrets.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 pm

This was a good episode. I enjoyed the fights and techniques. Goku and Hit teaming up was great.

Just a bit after 19:00 (spoilers) there is reused animation but that didn't seem to bother me. (a couple clips were taken from Hit vs. Vegeta fight WAY episodes back)

I may not be correct here but seemed like they introduced a few new music tracks into this episode I don't remember hearing before. The overall setting keeps feeling darker the more the soundtrack keeps doing songs like that.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 pm

One thing I can't really understand in this episode is how exactly can Goku alternate between SSJB and SSJG? Wasn't SSJB supposed to be an actual replacement? It also seemed like both forms require the same type of energy.

Also when this form was introduced, they built this up as if it was stronger than SSJB.... At least in the way they delivered this.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:One thing I can't really understand in this episode is how exactly can Goku alternate between SSJB and SSJG? Wasn't SSJB supposed to be an actual replacement? It also seemed like both forms require the same type of energy.

Also when this form was introduced, they built this up as if it was stronger than SSJB.... At least in the way they delivered this.
SSB is the level beyond SSG. Basically the Super Saiyan form of God. Think of it as flipping between SS and SS2.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:One thing I can't really understand in this episode is how exactly can Goku alternate between SSJB and SSJG? Wasn't SSJB supposed to be an actual replacement? It also seemed like both forms require the same type of energy.

SSB is the level beyond SSG. Basically the Super Saiyan form of God. Think of it as flipping between SS and SS2.
Yup, hence Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Literally a Super Saiyan God that has gone Super Saiyan. I just wish the video games and merchandise would stop using that stupid name and start using SSB instead since no one in the anime/manga even refers to it as SSGSS anymore.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

Just didn't think it would be as simple as the previous SSJ forms earlier. They never made any indication that Goku could tap into that anymore after Battle of Gods, and Vegeta went straight to Blue somehow without reaching SSJG first... and the fact that God ki has different properties.. Some things I was thinking about.

Also for a little while I thought SSJG initially was just a result of a ritual, but apparently not anymore.