Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:51 pm

NOTE: Please be sure to have watched the episode with any necessary subtitles (see: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation). Then, and only then, may you discuss.

Fine, don't read the Kanzenshuu forum rules. See if I care.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super episode 105, aired 27 August 2017

奮戦!武天老師命を燃やす!!
Funsen! Muten Rōshi Inochi o Moyasu!!
A Fierce Battle! Master Roshi Stakes His Life!!

Summary:
With many warriors eliminated at this point, the Omni-Kings try to work out how many remain, but soon lose count and settle for “a lot”. On the battlefield, Muten Roshi claims that there are less than half remaining…so it’s probably time to get down to business. The U4 warrior Caway suddenly attacks him with a hammer materialized from her own energy, but he easily dodges and tells her she can’t beat him. It turns out Roshi’s been observing the other fighters since the tournament began, and so has a good grasp of how powerful everyone is and what sort of techniques they use.

In that case, Caway decides to use her other special technique: the art of seduction. On the sidelines, Kuririn notes that Roshi trained with Puar to control his desires, and so that technique should no longer work on him. While Roshi does seem to lose control for a moment, he snaps back just in time to block Caway’s energy spear. Roshi boasts that his body is now brimming with all the energy he once wasted, and Caway runs out of the arena before he has the chance to ruin her marriage prospects.

Next up is the U4 warrior Darkori, another female fighter. Using her talismans, she can create 76 attacks and 129 illusions, so while Roshi has been observing her fighting style up to now, he still doesn’t know all she’s capable of. Roshi deals with Darkori’s illusions (including phantom flames, an illusionary edge of the arena, and a giant version of Darkori herself) before she manages to pin his shadow to the spot where he’s standing. Now that she’s trapped Roshi in a dark area of the arena, Darkori explains that she comes from a planet where there is hardly any light, so as a result she is invincible in the shadows.

Roshi can see that Darkori is powering up, and reflects that his teammates are powerful but too straightforward, meaning that they sometimes have trouble against trickier opponents. That’s why it’s up to him to handle such opponents himself, so it’s for the best that he be the one to fight Darkori. He produces a small jar and uses the Mafuba to seal Darkori inside it, then tosses it out of bounds. Quitela objects that using an item like that should be against the rules, while Beerus claims that it’s merely an accessory, not a weapon. Besides, Darkori herself used talismans…though these were materialized from her own energy. Finally, the Omni-Kings weigh in and decide to allow Roshi’s use of the jar because it was interesting.

While this marks Roshi’s second victory, Kuririn is worried about the toll using the Mafuba must have taken on his body, though Roshi seems more than fine at the moment. Next up is the U4 warrior Ganos, who’s out to avenge the defeat of his two teammates. He transforms into a more muscular, birdlike form, but Roshi is easily able to dodge him and toss him around. Despite the transformation, Ganos still has the same attack patterns, which allows Roshi to read his movements. Ganos may have the edge when it comes to power and speed, but Roshi has greater experience, and he soon seems to finish Ganos off.

Ganos refuses to give up though, and comes at Roshi again, this time crackling with electricity. Roshi can tell he might be in trouble now, and sure enough, Ganos finally manages to land a blow on him. Quitela explains that thanks to Ganos’ youth and the tense atmosphere of the tournament, he is able to constantly grow stronger. Now the tables have turned, and Roshi is getting knocked around and running out of stamina. Worried that at this rate Ganos will continue to grow stronger until he can give even Goku and the others a hard time, Roshi resolves to take Ganos out here and now.

To that end, Roshi uses the same hypnotic lullaby technique he once used against Goku back at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, but Ganos manages to shake off its effects by hitting himself. That technique might have worked on him five minutes ago, but he’s improved since then! Ganos urges Roshi to accept his limits and give up; he may have been a great martial artist once, but his day is done. However, Roshi refuses, saying that Goku and Kuririn taught him to never accept one’s limits and always aim higher. Telling his students to both work and rest well in order to enjoy their lives to the fullest, he knocks Ganos out of the arena with a massive Kamehameha.

While Beerus celebrates Roshi’s third victory, Roshi himself immediately collapses to the ground. Kuririn tries to go to his side, but Shin reminds him that he is not allowed back in the arena. Instead, Goku breaks away from his current opponent (going Super Saiyan Blue in the process) and goes to try and resuscitate Roshi via a series of ki bursts to the chest. When these prove ineffective, Goku lets out a blue light and reverts to his base form. Finally Roshi awakens, wondering where all the cute angels have gone. Everyone is thrilled, but Roshi reminds Goku that the battle isn’t over yet, and has Goku help him to his feet.

34 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 105 (27 August 2017)

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Don't know how much I could say about this episode, it wasn't bad, but certainly wasn't great as last week.

- Funny to think that the greatest deities in the whole multiverse has some difficulties in counting numbers :D

- Did Roshi won against that U4 fairy girl by threatening to harass her? :?

- That talisman girl had interesting skills, it was nice to Mafuba working for the first time in screen, but I think it was a waste for her to get eliminated so soon.

- I know I should probably stop complaining about power levels in Super, but wasn't this Ganos guy somewhat even with base Goku before showing his demon duck transformation? And yet Roshi is able to keep with him? Meh :problem:

- Has Roshi ever used hypnosis before? I'm asking before it's been like 5 years since the last time I watched OG Dragon Ball and I don't remember.

- I enjoyed Roshi speech about his limits, it kinda explains why he came back from his retirement. I still don't like it and I think Yamcha deserved his place, but props for the writers in trying to give explanations to the audience :thumbup:

- Loved the return of MAX Power Kamehameha, the original mountain/moon buster technique! 8)

- I'm the only one who hate how Goku is there f****** around with his opponents? I mean he was like trapped for minutes by Maji Kayo when all he need was to go Blue to break free? And they want us to believe this tournament is only 48 minutes with Goku wasting his time testing fodders? Darn you Goku! :x

- Again, props to the writers for showing us that less explored emotional side from Goku, I like it, but it felt a little bit forced and it would be nice if Roshi stayed dead, it would align with his both speechs (Karin and his students), but too bad they couldn't catch that :|
Last edited by Noah on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:52 pm

The episode was such a great nostalgia ride, the throwback episode, it was amazing, I truly loved it from the bottom of my heart, from the emotions to the fights (not so great animation but still good enough)
The feels.. Goku and Krillin's reactions.. I felt like I was back in DB, T'was like I was seeing little Goku aiding Roshi, and I'm glad the sexy moves didnt work on him, truly a man among man, stayed true to his words, funny how he treated them like amateurs.
Roshi looking like he died, Krillin shouting and Goku rushing to Roshi and him screaming "old man" hit me, I was shedding tears with Krillin and Goku (been a long time since I've seen Goku show tears like that)
and I love how Beerus went "hey.. whats that old man's name again?" in the end, really felt like Roshi earned his respect.. I am loss for words.. so this is what happens when one of your favorite character gets treated well... I couldnt even see/remember the bad and the wrongs in the ep.
I am surprised that Roshi wasnt kicked out tho... wonder what they have planned for him.. I have a bad feeling about him not getting kicked out, like something bad will happen to him.
Roshi's speech to his students sent chills/nostalgia, combined with one.final.KHH... the director of this ep deserves an award.
This was like a love letter to the people who loved early DB back in the early days... good times..
Anyways yeah, best episode yet, easily 9/10!

[spoiler]Ganos: You must have been a great martial artist back in the days, but your generation is over! know your limits and retire!
Roshi: Screw those limits! Goku and Krillin, you were the ones that taught this old bag that he still has a future, that its too early to decide my limits.. by aiming higher heights.
My students, move well, learn well, play well, eat well and rest well, enjoy those lives to the fullest! kame style is with you! The greatest most powerful Kamehame ha!
-Muten Roshi
a piece of me traveled back to the old days, flashbacks of DB and their training/tournament days.[/spoiler]
Last edited by SansrivaaL on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:53 pm

I generally avoid giving a general comment of how I felt about an episode, but this one was boring. Not much to say about the action as it felt rather featureless despite three U4 characters were ringed out, and there wasn't a lot of music fill the gaps. Some people on YouTube love it, so there's that. Onto the individual comments like usual:

-Zen-Oh giving up on counting how many U2 warriors are left was funny. "... five, six... A lot!" And for once, he decides for himself about the rules without the Grand Priest even showing up at all.
-Roshi's training with Puar did pay off at last. Good thing he didn't give in 100% to his desires like my pessimistic self feared. Not only were Roshi and the old Kai seduced by Caway, but I was as well. Speaking of Caway, they repeated the same joke they made of Roselle running away scared of Freeza, ringing himself out, but with Roshi instead of Freeza and Caway instead of Roselle. Not as funny as the first time. Dercori was a waste of a character. I was liking her a bit, then she got Mafuba'd.
-I was a bit dissapointed to not see enough of Magetta as I was looking forward to him more in this episode than with Roshi. Roshi speaking like a Metal Man while getting hot and getting Magetta's attention was funny.
-The tournament arena feels like a bigger wasteland than it usually is after the first scene with Roshi. We don't see background explosions until the end. Considering Roshi said there were less than half the fighters that started the tournament, there should still be plenty of action going on.
-Beerus, of all people, got excited for more Roshi than Dragon Ball fans.
-Things finally picked up once Ganos shows up, and he turns into Mega Ultra Chicken. I don't like his transformed design, and he takes Broly's supposed "gets stronger over time" schtick. He, like Dercori, felt a bit wasted since I was expecting more of him.
-"The Kame Style is with you!" Star Wars reference?
-Goku shows emotion for once, and for a good reason. Am I the only one who wanted Roshi to stay dead? May have done something to Goku in terms of development, but this is Super after all, so it wouldn't have mattered.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Roshi was pretty good in the episode. While I didn't like that his pervy side returned for the first girl, at least it was over with briefly when she ran off the stage. I loved the way he used the containment wave to seal the vampire woman, and he didn't die. Lastly his fight with Ganos was well done. I really thought Roshi was going to die in this episode, and seeing Goku cry and rush over to him was touching. Loved the throwbacks to Dragonball with Goku/Krillin.

Also Beerus and the mouse gods banter was pretty funny. I wonder how far Roshi will go.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Roshi getting revived at the end kind of ruined the scene tbh. It would have been much more emotional if he stayed dead.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Noah wrote:Don't know how much I could say about this episode, it wasn't bad, but certainly wasn't great as last week.

- I know I should probably stop complaining about power levels in Super, but wasn't this Ganos guy somewhat even with base Goku before showing his demon duck transformation? And yet Roshi is able to keep with him? Meh :problem:

- Has Roshi ever used hypnosis before? I'm asking before it's been like 5 years since the last time I watched OG Dragon Ball and I don't remember.
-Ganoss really wasn't Goku's equal even in base(he fought the guy for all of 10 seconds). It was confirmed even by Roshi that Ganoss was stronger and faster.

-Roshi used hypnosis on Goku during the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. Goku recovers when Bulma says something about it being lunch time or something like that.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Just watched it with subtitles and its just a perfect crafted Tribute Episode of the Legend.

Even Beerus at the end asked Krillin after the name of the old man, the ultimate respect.

Thank you Toriyama giving Roshi a lot of great moments in his probaly final showing as a fighter in the series

Best Episode of the ToP and one of the best in Super! 10/10

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I think this episode proves any old human fighter could have been useful. Yamcha could have had a chance too and I'm sure he would have taken down a few guys.

It's hard to believe Roshi has now beaten 5 characters overall. I never expected him to do this well.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm

We're halfway there and only 14 minutes have passed in-universe! Whoo!

Only 40 Competitors Remain in the Tournament of Power

This thread has been updated to reflect today's episode

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Noah wrote:Don't know how much I could say about this episode, it wasn't bad, but certainly wasn't great as last week.

- Funny to think that the greatest deities in the whole multiverse has some difficulties in counting numbers :D

- Did Roshi won against that U4 fairy girl by threatening to harass her? :?

- That talisman girl had interesting skills, it was nice to Mafuba working for the first time in screen, but I think it was a waste for her to get eliminated so soon.

- I enjoyed Roshi speech about his limits, it kinda explains why he came back from his retirement. I still don't like it and I think Yamcha deserved his place, but props for the writers in trying to give explanations to the audience :thumbup:

- Loved the return of MAX Power Kamehameha, the original mountain/moon buster technique! 8)

- I'm the only one who hate how Goku is there f****** around with his opponents? I mean he was like trapped for minutes by Maji Kayo when all he need was to go Blue to break free? And they want us to believe this tournament is only 48 minutes with Goku wasting his time testing fodders? Darn you Goku! :x

- Again, props to the writers for showing us that less explored emotional side from Goku, I like it, but it felt a little bit forced and it would be nice if Roshi stayed dead, it would align with his both speechs (Karin and his students), but too bad they couldn't catch that :|
Ganos got swept aside in like 5 seconds of fighting Goku lol.
He used hypnosis against Goku if i remember correctly.
Also i am pretty sure Yamcha could not pull something like what Roshi did,both fighting and character wise.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:Roshi getting revived at the end kind of ruined the scene tbh. It would have been much more emotional if he stayed dead.
Yeah, this also means Blue has asspull-y resurrection powers now.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 pm

JazzMazz wrote: - Ganoss really wasn't Goku's equal even in base(he fought the guy for all of 10 seconds). It was confirmed even by Roshi that Ganoss was stronger and faster.
- Roshi used hypnosis on Goku during the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai. Goku recovers when Bulma says something about it being lunch time or something like that.
- And kept growing as the time passed and yet Roshi managed to beat him, I guess his gowth is not that big so as his transformation.

- Thanks for clearing up! :thumbup:
Whatever wrote:Also i am pretty sure Yamcha could not pull something like what Roshi did,both fighting and character wise.
Just a reminder: edit my post if you're going only to answer a few sentences.

- I disagree about Yamcha, he's not a bad fighter. He surprised everyone in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai with his Sokidan and was really close to defeat Kami.
Last edited by Noah on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Whatever wrote: Also i am pretty sure Yamcha could not pull something like what Roshi did,both fighting and character wise.
Right, what Roshi has going for him is his weird techniques and experience, which Yamcha lacks, the guy gave up martial arts, da heck he gonna do in there? play dead?

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Great episode that finally made some weaker characters more relevant. My only complaint is that the female character of U4 who could phase-shift through objects and use the talisman's was a bit wasted. She could have used it to take out someone much stronger by tricking them or make other people take their own team out. Finally some unique abilities that could actually beat power with strategy and they're all gone immediately. I expected them to make the characters a lot weaker to match with Roshi, but it just heightens the point that most of the other universe fighters are way too weak. The Sniper character from next episode looks pretty interesting, but I imagine when Goku and Vegeta find him as shown in the preview, he will KO'ed immediately, I just hope he takes out a few relevant characters first before they take him down.

This episode gets an A+ from me though for finally making strategy/unique moves matter over raw power, i just wish they would take it a little further. Take out someone big using strategy alone. Unfortunately they'd probably use Vegeta to display this, but I wish it was Goku. I'd rather see the fighters try to win without him so that major strategic decisions are actually necessary.
MainJPW wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote:Roshi getting revived at the end kind of ruined the scene tbh. It would have been much more emotional if he stayed dead.
Yeah, this also means Blue has asspull-y resurrection powers now.
Well he was shown healing by giving energy in regular SSJ before, but i think that was mostly in movies. It's probably just using a tiny bit of energy to defibrillate his heart so it's not too unexplained. I would have a problem with it if they used it on a stronger character like Vegeta and he was immediately back to full health without draining Goku in some way though.
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Well, I wasn't expecting anything at all from this episode. In fact when a "hurricane" knocked out my internet for the day, I wasn't even bummed I might not be catching this episode today. But I was pleasantly surprised.

The animation and art may not have been anything worth writing home about but I really enjoyed Roshi.

Roshi walking around "observing" fighters was pretty cool, especially when he dodges an attack. I fully expected Roshi to knock off a female fighter with his perv nature, but thankfully he only does this once. And he barely does anything but talk big.

Roshi: Cho- Po!
Maggeta" Cho-Po?

This made me chuckle.

The standoff with the talismon lady was ok, and using the Mafuba was a great way to knock out an opponent stronger then him, bonus points for pointing out how his students are too straight forward in a fight.

Berrus and quitilla arguing was fun, but damn Zeno is scary when he wants to be.

Roshi vs Ganos was great. Again Roshi acknowledging that Ganos is more powerful than he is, but using his experience to win over him was so cool. The whole "get stronger the more he battles" thing for Ganos was pretty cool, shame we didn't get to see how far that could be taken.

But Roshi "Breaking" his limits, because his students taught him that he can still do so, was so fucking cool.

I knew Roshi would come back, but the scene of Goku running to Roshi and him trying to revive him gave me the feelings. Bonus points for earning the respect of Beerus.

Next episode, like this one, I'm not expecting much. Hopefully it's preview doesn't kill me because after 106 is a week off.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Razz

Post by Razz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 pm

I liked the emotional side of this episode.It showed how krillin and goku care for their master but I was confused why goku did not go SSB to release from that blue enemy.Anyway , it was a great episode and funny too .

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Whatever wrote: Also i am pretty sure Yamcha could not pull something like what Roshi did,both fighting and character wise.
Right, what Roshi has going for him is his weird techniques and experience, which Yamcha lacks, the guy gave up martial arts, da heck he gonna do in there? play dead?
Getting another fighter disquolified for killing him is about the only win Yamcha would get if he was here.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I thought this episode was fantastic. Shine for warriors other than Goku/Vegeta. Roshi is racking up those eliminations! I also LOVED how Goku and Kuririn acted, it's exactly how it should of been. There were some really funny moments too with Beerus and Quitela as well as Roshi talking like Magetta XD.

MajiKayo of Universe three is interesting, hope to see more of him soon!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Whoa, that ended up being better than I expected! Master Roshi with the BANG.