Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:If he can reflect ki blasts, i'm assuming that, much like how Buyon's power work, any punches and kicks will just bounce off of him.
There's really no evidence proving or disproving your claim, which is probably one of the major problems to a lot of people. If they had just added a short scene of Vegeta trying to punch him and bouncing off, there'd likely be a lot less complaints when it comes to this point.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

JazzMazz wrote:First off, I'd like to say that the people who think this is a bad looking episode, obviously didn't watch last weeks episode, which was infinitely worse looking. This episode, though nothing particularly standout, looked completely serviceable and I would definitely rank it higher than #97 and #105 from a visual stand point.
Uh, sorry but what? Last episode looked WAY more on point than this one. I wouldn't even call it a competition, this one just looked bad. SO many off-model shots that it was ridiculous. I never even had a single complaint about the art last episode, nor did I really see anyone complaining about it either...

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

These look serviceable to you? And no these aren't just some in-between shots or something, Goku and Vegeta looked like this for just about the entire episode. Their faces look so damn off point. If we were in the RoF arc right now these would look good. But we're not. Higher quality should be expected by now and this looks terrible compared to the other episodes in the tournament.

Even frames that had no animation to them looked terrible. What the hell is going on with Piccolo here? This episode was one of the ugliest in the tournament for sure.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If he can reflect ki blasts, i'm assuming that, much like how Buyon's power work, any punches and kicks will just bounce off of him.
There's really no evidence proving or disproving your claim, which is probably one of the major problems to a lot of people. If they had just added a short scene of Vegeta trying to punch him and bouncing off, there'd likely be a lot less complaints when it comes to this point.
I didn't really it as much of an issue. Goku and Vegeta still needed to keep their distance as that sniper could do some serious harm. So instead of going up close to possibly land a punch on that blob guy and/or severely injure themselves in the process, they improvised and just chucked giant rocks at them. I actually liked that thinking outside of the box from them.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Cool episode. Better than the last week.

I always get surprised when I see strategy in my Dragon Ball, especially when in DBZ there was barely any outside of the - Be a punchbag while I charge up my attack.

Hermila and Prum strategy was interesting and original. I liked all the teamwork this episode had.
Tenshinhan is out but at least he eliminated someone alone.

Next!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

He couldn't deflect rocks. Therefore he shouldn't deflect punches and kicks.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote:
I didn't really it as much of an issue. Goku and Vegeta still needed to keep their distance as that sniper could do some serious harm. So instead of going up close to possibly land a punch on that blob guy and/or severely injure themselves in the process, they improvised and just chucked giant rocks at them. I actually liked that thinking outside of the box from them.
Why would they need to keep their distance? The so called "blob of shit" couldn't do anything because the sniper was too busy dealing with Tenshinhan, so there was absolutely no reason why Goku and Vegeta couldn't have just walked up to him and punched him instead of throwing rocks like a bunch of mindless savages who forgot how to throw a punch.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Asura wrote: Uh, sorry but what? Last episode looked WAY more on point than this one. I wouldn't even call it a competition, this one just looked bad. SO many off-model shots that it was ridiculous. I never even had a single complaint about the art last episode, nor did I really see anyone complaining about it either...

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

These look serviceable to you? And no these aren't just some in-between shots or something, Goku and Vegeta looked like this for just about the entire episode. Their faces look so damn off point.

Even frames that had no animation to them looked terrible. What the hell is going on with Piccolo here? This episode was one of the ugliest in the tournament for sure.

Yeah, I think this episode has been the worst in the arc in animation. Gohan, Piccolo, Goku and Vegeta looked consistently weird and even Tenshinhan. However, the other guys didn't look that bad, for some reason.

I wouldn't mind if they took more breaks if they needed. Other chapters have been good, the one of Hit and Dyspo looked fantastic, so it's about budget and schedule.
Heno heno kappa!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Now, I'm thinking... How Tien actually defeated Hermilla? He had a fifth clone hiding or something?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:First off, I'd like to say that the people who think this is a bad looking episode, obviously didn't watch last weeks episode, which was infinitely worse looking. This episode, though nothing particularly standout, looked completely serviceable and I would definitely rank it higher than #97 and #105 from a visual stand point.
Uh, sorry but what? Last episode looked WAY more on point than this one. I wouldn't even call it a competition, this one just looked bad. SO many off-model shots that it was ridiculous. I never even had a single complaint about the art last episode, nor did I really see anyone complaining about it either...

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

These look serviceable to you? And no these aren't just some in-between shots or something, Goku and Vegeta looked like this for just about the entire episode. Their faces look so damn off point. If we were in the RoF arc right now these would look good. But we're not. Higher quality should be expected by now and this looks terrible compared to the other episodes in the tournament.

Though I have my problems with the artstyle, the first three pictures you posted are perfectly serviceable. This episode had a lot of decent movement and effect, last episode felt almost completely lifeless visually.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Noah wrote:Now, I'm thinking... How Tien actually defeated Hermilla? He had a fifth clone hiding or something?
Why do you thik that? Three clones are knocked down in the way and the last one attacks Hermila with the Kikoho. That same one is tricked and ringed out, but the other three come back and take Hermila out too.
Heno heno kappa!

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:05 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Though I have my problems with the artstyle, the first three pictures you posted are perfectly serviceable. This episode had a lot of decent movement and effect, last episode felt almost completely lifeless visually.
They are only serviceable to the extent that the art itself is not bad looking. The problem is the fact that it's off model. Very off model, even by Super standards. Hence it just straight up looks bad.

Seriously, look at this. How on earth did we go from THIS to THIS? Super has a different art style than Z, I understand that, but at least they try (for the most part) to still get these characters to be on model for Super's art style. This isn't on model for Z OR Super's art style. This is not what Vegeta normally looks like in either series, and to me if the character does not look like the character then it's not serviceable to me no matter how decent the actual art may be.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Basako wrote:Three clones are knocked down in the way and the last one attacks Hermila with the Kikoho. That same one is tricked and ringed out, but the other three come back and take Hermila out too.
I didn't pay much attention to that scene, thanks for clearing up :D
Asura wrote:Seriously, look at this. How on earth did we go from THIS to THIS? Super has a different art style than Z, I understand that, but at least they try (for the most part) to still get these characters to be on model for Super's art style. This isn't on model for Z OR Super's art style. This is not what Vegeta normally looks like in either series, and to me if the character does not look like the character then it's not serviceable to me no matter how decent the actual art may be.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Do you realize Vegeta got old in Super, right? So it's perfectly normal for him to look that way now.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Noah wrote:
Basako wrote:Three clones are knocked down in the way and the last one attacks Hermila with the Kikoho. That same one is tricked and ringed out, but the other three come back and take Hermila out too.
I didn't pay much attention to that scene, thanks for clearing up :D
Asura wrote:Seriously, look at this. How on earth did we go from THIS to THIS? Super has a different art style than Z, I understand that, but at least they try (for the most part) to still get these characters to be on model for Super's art style. This isn't on model for Z OR Super's art style. This is not what Vegeta normally looks like in either series, and to me if the character does not look like the character then it's not serviceable to me no matter how decent the actual art may be.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Do you realize Vegeta got old in Super, right? So it's perfectly normal for him to look that way now.
But he doesn't look older, he looks YOUNGER.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 pm

The episode looked perfectly fine. Shimanuki's style has been prevalent in a ton of other episodes before, I don't see why you're overreacting.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
Interesting. Episode 101 was another episode that I found wasn't terrible, yet it contained a lot of writing flaws/inconsistencies. I'll have to keep my eye on this guy, as he seems to be one of the weak links thus far when it comes to writing in Super.
Like Caulifla not using SSJ vs the Pride Troopers until the beam clash, kinda the same thing with Goku and Vegeta, and Gohan not going Mystic.

He also wrote episode 96 which had Caulifla acting like a douche toward Goku.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

perucho1990 wrote:He also wrote episode 96 which had Caulifla acting like a douche toward Goku.
I'm still not sure why people were bothered by that. She was a dick to Cabba pretty much the entire time they were training.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:The episode looked perfectly fine. Shimanuki's style has been prevalent in a ton of other episodes before, I don't see why you're overreacting.
If you think Vegeta looking like he came straight out of a moe anime is fine, then by all means keep enjoying the show.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Asura wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The episode looked perfectly fine. Shimanuki's style has been prevalent in a ton of other episodes before, I don't see why you're overreacting.
If you think Vegeta looking like he came straight out of a moe anime is fine, then by all means keep enjoying the show.
He looks literally the same as any other shot drawn by Shimanuki, I don't get it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:55 pm

LightBing wrote:
He couldn't deflect rocks. Therefore he shouldn't deflect punches and kicks.
That's not really enough evidence to determine that blob guy can't deflect punches and kicks. It's pretty much left ambiguous as to whether that blob guy can absorb punches and kicks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 pm

So why isn't anyone commenting that Vegeta, like Goku, were powered down in their base forms the entire episode? Neither of them even went Super Saiyan.

This almost seems like some new thing. If this was DBZ they'd never be walking around in their base forms.