Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super Episode 106 (3 September 2017)

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:58 pm

precita wrote:So why isn't anyone commenting that Vegeta, like Goku, were powered down in their base forms the entire episode? Neither of them even went Super Saiyan.

This almost seems like some new thing. If this was DBZ they'd never be walking around in their base forms.
Because Goku and Vegeta being in their base form is commonplace by this point. That's what they've been using for the majority of the tournament. Even in the last tournament.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If he can reflect ki blasts, i'm assuming that, much like how Buyon's power work, any punches and kicks will just bounce off of him.
He couldn't deflect rocks. Therefore he shouldn't deflect punches and kicks.
That's not really enough evidence to determine that blob guy can't deflect punches and kicks. It's pretty much left ambiguous as to whether that blob guy can absorb punches and kicks.
Then we are at a stand still. Since you're assumption is as good as mine.

It doesn't stop it from being awkward in the scene, it shouldn't be ambiguous. Taking into account the many times Super failed to provide logic to the story, I'm going to assume they messed up.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I didn't really it as much of an issue. Goku and Vegeta still needed to keep their distance as that sniper could do some serious harm. So instead of going up close to possibly land a punch on that blob guy and/or severely injure themselves in the process, they improvised and just chucked giant rocks at them. I actually liked that thinking outside of the box from them.
You are correct in that the sniper duo could do serious harm, but there are two holes in this line of thinking. First, Goku and Vegeta are fast; in fact, two episodes ago Goku kept pace with Dyspo, who was explicitly stated to be faster than the speed of light. If Goku can keep pace with a character of that speed, I'm sure he and Vegeta could rush Prum before he could do anything. Second, going back to episode 104 again, Goku was shown to be good at predicting patterns. Even if Prum could reflect a blast faster than Goku and Vegeta can move, they should be able to easily identify its trajectory and avoid it.

Honestly though, this whole thing is irrelevant. In my opinion, the underlying problem isn't really even with how Goku and Vegeta dealt with Prum. The problem is why Goku and Vegeta were chosen to be in this episode to begin with. As you said earlier in this thread, this episode has an unnatural flow to it. Part of that (to me, anyway) is tossing Goku and Vegeta into the second half of the episode when Gohan, Piccolo and Tien were the focus during the first half.
perucho1990 wrote:Like Caulifla not using SSJ vs the Pride Troopers until the beam clash, kinda the same thing with Goku and Vegeta, and Gohan not going Mystic.

He also wrote episode 96 which had Caulifla acting like a douche toward Goku.
Even more interesting. That makes him 0 for 3 so far in my book, then. None of these episodes have been terrible, but they've all been quite lacking.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Really nice suspense at the begin, with Piccolo and Gohan hiding. And I liked that Ten Shin Han appeared and had a good moment of protagonism. His way to go was pretty cool too.

It was a nice episode. Not the best of the arc, not even close, but it was fun to watch and the direction was interesting.

NEP looks really good in terms of art direction and animation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I didn't really it as much of an issue. Goku and Vegeta still needed to keep their distance as that sniper could do some serious harm. So instead of going up close to possibly land a punch on that blob guy and/or severely injure themselves in the process, they improvised and just chucked giant rocks at them. I actually liked that thinking outside of the box from them.
You are correct in that the sniper duo could do serious harm, but there are two holes in this line of thinking. First, Goku and Vegeta are fast; in fact, two episodes ago Goku kept pace with Dyspo, who was explicitly stated to be faster than the speed of light. If Goku can keep pace with a character of that speed, I'm sure he and Vegeta could rush Prum before he could do anything. Second, going back to episode 104 again, Goku was shown to be good at predicting patterns. Even if Prum could reflect a blast faster than Goku and Vegeta can move, they should be able to easily identify its trajectory and avoid it.

Honestly though, this whole thing is irrelevant. In my opinion, the underlying problem isn't really even with how Goku and Vegeta dealt with Prum. The problem is why Goku and Vegeta were chosen to be in this episode to begin with. As you said earlier in this thread, this episode has an unnatural flow to it. Part of that (to me, anyway) is tossing Goku and Vegeta into the second half of the episode when Gohan, Piccolo and Tien were the focus during the first half.
Goku had a lot of trouble keeping up with Dyspo once Dyspo went into full speed blitz mode. As a matter of fact, once Dyspo cranked up the speed, he was kicking Goku's ass and was moving so fast that Goku couldn't even use his Instant Transmission. The only time that Goku managed to catch Dyspo off-guard was when Goku interchanged from SSJG to SSJB to maximize his speed and power. Goku himself comments that Dyspo's speed is impressive but his movements were too linear making it easy for Dyspo to be caught out. As Hit would later prove. Goku, without doing the old SSJG-SSJB switcheroo, is not as fast as faster than the speed of light. And Goku most likely didn't want to use the SSJG-SSJB switcheroo technique because he wanted to save energy so that he can fight stronger opponents (i.e. Jiren, Toppo, and anyone else he hasn't faced yet).

But I do think the episode could have used a bit less Goku and Vegeta. I will definitely agree to that. And their insertion into the plot of this episode certainly felt the most out-of-left-field than any other occasion in this tournament so far and really did disrupt the flow of the narrative. I still thought the episode was fine and I think it will more tolerable when I binge watch the arc after it's over.

Turambar
Beyond Newbie

Post by Turambar » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Problems with the episode aside, Beerus is becoming such a softy! First, he was doing on Roshi, and now Tien. It's so cute.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku had a lot of trouble keeping up with Dyspo once Dyspo went into full speed blitz mode. As a matter of fact, once Dyspo cranked up the speed, he was kicking Goku's ass and was moving so fast that Goku couldn't even use his Instant Transmission. The only time that Goku managed to catch Dyspo off-guard was when Goku interchanged from SSJG to SSJB to maximize his speed and power. Goku himself comments that Dyspo's speed is impressive but his movements were too linear making it easy for Dyspo to be caught out. As Hit would later prove. Goku, without doing the old SSJG-SSJB switcheroo, is not as fast as faster than the speed of light. And Goku most likely didn't want to use the SSJG-SSJB switcheroo technique because he wanted to save energy so that he can fight stronger opponents (i.e. Jiren, Toppo, and anyone else he hasn't faced yet).
But that's the point, Goku could keep up as SSG/SSB. Goku has shown no qualms about activating SSB for very short bursts throughout the tournament thus far, so the energy conservation excuse doesn't hold much weight in my mind. Like I said, ultimately this doesn't matter because the how isn't that important here (to me, at least), but if the writer wanted to go the route that he did, he should have included a short scene showing their punches/kicks were useless.
But I do think the episode could have used a bit less Goku and Vegeta. I will definitely agree to that. And their insertion into the plot of this episode certainly felt the most out-of-left-field than any other occasion in this tournament so far and really did disrupt the flow of the narrative. I still thought the episode was fine and I think it will more tolerable when I binge watch the arc after it's over.
Like I said, I don't think this episode is bad, it just has some... questionable writing decisions. I agree though, when I marathon this tournament after all the episodes are out this one won't be that big of a deal.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Is there an episode coming out next week or will there be a break?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

These look serviceable to you? And no these aren't just some in-between shots or something, Goku and Vegeta looked like this for just about the entire episode. Their faces look so damn off point. If we were in the RoF arc right now these would look good. But we're not. Higher quality should be expected by now and this looks terrible compared to the other episodes in the tournament.
I've seen worse. I couldn't find the one ugly shot of Black that I wanted to.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Torturephile wrote:I've seen worse. I couldn't find the one ugly shot of Black that I wanted to.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Er... What? I don't see any problem with that SSJ Goku art you used as example, mate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:First off, I'd like to say that the people who think this is a bad looking episode, obviously didn't watch last weeks episode, which was infinitely worse looking. This episode, though nothing particularly standout, looked completely serviceable and I would definitely rank it higher than #97 and #105 from a visual stand point.
Uh, sorry but what? Last episode looked WAY more on point than this one. I wouldn't even call it a competition, this one just looked bad. SO many off-model shots that it was ridiculous. I never even had a single complaint about the art last episode, nor did I really see anyone complaining about it either...

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

These look serviceable to you? And no these aren't just some in-between shots or something, Goku and Vegeta looked like this for just about the entire episode. Their faces look so damn off point. If we were in the RoF arc right now these would look good. But we're not. Higher quality should be expected by now and this looks terrible compared to the other episodes in the tournament.

Even frames that had no animation to them looked terrible. What the hell is going on with Piccolo here? This episode was one of the ugliest in the tournament for sure.

Those shots of Vegeta aren't even that bad, heck, they look pretty good to me.
The shot of Piccolo and Gohan isn't bad either. The episode was fine from a production standpoint, personally.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm

With Tien gone, who will be the one to defeat the Universe 4 Insect Warriors? When Tien was the one who sensed them at the beginning of the tournament it was like foreshadowing it will be him to eliminate them. They should have given him those 2 Universe 4 warriors as well and then eliminate him from the tournament.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Torturephile wrote:
Asura wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Yeah the key word there was "shot". Goku & Vegeta looked like this the entire episode.

I also fail to see anything wrong with how any of those look except for perhaps SSJ Goku's face being too small, and definitely that Vegeta looks off model because it's from Super.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Noah wrote:
Torturephile wrote:I've seen worse. I couldn't find the one ugly shot of Black that I wanted to.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Er... What? I don't see any problem with that SSJ Goku art you used as example, mate.
Not bad, but below average compared to others.
Asura wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
Asura wrote:
Yeah the key word there was "shot". Goku & Vegeta looked like this the entire episode.

I also fail to see anything wrong with how any of those look except for perhaps SSJ Goku's face being too small, and definitely that Vegeta looks off model because it's from Super.
So do I with the ones you showed except for the Piccolo and Gohan one. Surely not the greatest, but not horrible like I've seen others say
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Is there an episode coming out next week or will there be a break?
Nope, no episode on upcoming Sunday. Might as well hit the woods...

More breaks are upon us
3 September - Episode 106
10 September - Off week due to Dragon Ball Run
17 September - Episode 107 (probably)
24 September - Episode 108 (probably)
1 October - One Piece special
8 October - DBS special
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

Until episode 102 I didn't like this tournament. But I've really been enjoying it since and this one was no exception. Why don't some of you people enjoy episodes where strategy is used? Gohan and kame sennin's episodes have been my favorites.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 am

Boring episode with not a great deal happening.

Tien was ok, but they really wasted his potential. No multiarms, no new attacks, no unique use of those eye powers he was meant to have. A boring double KO, Vegeta and Goku doing all the work as usual.

Piccolo had some nice moments but everyone acted like idiots. ESPECIALLY ROTA which annoyed me. Was really hoping he'd do something interesting when we saw him and he's ended up being to this show what Shaz Domino was in Bleach

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 am

Asura wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
Asura wrote:

The style who showed was only used in the second half.

I feel like your cherry picking slightly, because most of the time the style was decently polished and was completely serviceable.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 am

Kishido wrote:Why was Beerus surprised by the cloning move? Piccolo did the same before and even during U6 arc.

Well why hasn't used it helped Tien with clones as well?

Hell even Krillin can use it and he talked like it was a big deal
They weren't real clones, the ones used in the U6 Arc by Piccolo, it was just a multiple zanzouken.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 am

Roronoa-pt wrote:
Kishido wrote:Why was Beerus surprised by the cloning move? Piccolo did the same before and even during U6 arc.

Well why hasn't used it helped Tien with clones as well?

Hell even Krillin can use it and he talked like it was a big deal
They weren't real clones, the ones used in the U6 Arc by Piccolo, it was just a multiple zanzouken.
He did the same thing against Gohan so they must have been real clones but since he made about 100 they will obviously be weak.