Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by pacz360 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:12 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Where all those people saying piccolo were gonna sacrifice himself again? :D
@nameksaiyan happy big green played a key role in the fight?
Piccolo used his Special Beam Cannon on both Saonel and Pilina so of course I am happy as it is exactly what I wanted to happen. :)
Cool man happy buig green get his time to shine I'm happy the the u6 nameks are strong enough to compete with ultimate Gohan
I hope we see more of them in the future

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Wish we had seen Kale say something to Caulifla before they vanished but Champa's goodbye to Beerus was funny and sad at the same time too.
She was holding onto Caulifla's hand before they got erased. I think that somehow spoke more volumes than words.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:52 pm

What makes me really sad is now that Ribrianne and the U6 saiyan girls are out, how else am I going to get my weekly salt intake from the fanbase? Truly this was a far greater loss than I had realized!

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Good ep. Thinking the cheesy "love" stuff was over last week, I got mad at the beginning of this episode. But, the U7 crew striking their own poses, and the U2 boys going full "Sailor Scout," made it worth it. Fun stuff.

Two observations: The "black hole heart" was basically a U2 spirit bomb, no? And Whis' comment on Goku intentionally pushing himself when he has no stamina, indicated that Goku is actively trying to tap into Ultra Instinct, as it's triggered when he's past his limits.

It looks like seeing the Saiyan race wiped out again has lit a fire in Vegeta. Hope to see him steamroll that space cop, and go after some big fish. Though, I've always hoped Frieza is the one to take out Toppo, with all his "justice" talk.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:What makes me really sad is now that Ribrianne and the U6 saiyan girls are out, how else am I going to get my weekly salt intake from the fanbase?
How about when/if Piccolo or Vegeta get knocked out in humiliating ways? :)
Last edited by Noah on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Noah wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:What makes me really sad is now that Ribrianne and the U6 saiyan girls are out, how else am I going to get my weekly salt intake from the fanbase?
How about when/if Piccolo or Vegeta get knocked out in humiliating ways? :)
That's right, I can already see the mounds of salt rising at the mere mention of them getting eliminated! Might be getting that salt pretty soon as well depending on how things turn out in 119.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:What makes me really sad is now that Ribrianne and the U6 saiyan girls are out, how else am I going to get my weekly salt intake from the fanbase? Truly this was a far greater loss than I had realized!
I think what was good was how U2 and U6 presented themselves this week very well and very respectively. While I was not a fan of 2 Universes going out a Week ago, the way Toei wrote it was so Amazingly done I am indeed eating my own words on it, truly 118 was IMO a Turnaround for allot of the flow of this story.

The Fact that they had both U2 and U6 go out together showed the Weight and Importance of these Universes whether your a fan of them or not, Toei Projected that well and made them both have some of the best Good-bye Death Scenes I have seen/read in a LongTime, Toei resurrected my hopes for this Arc and maybe Super in general.

I think both Universes did the most they could at this point, Hench why I am not as sad as I thought to see them go.

Death in Dragon Ball is never always a permit thing, it seems like Toei has longterm plans for allot of these characters and they made us feel the weight of who they where.

We have to weight and see what they do, but they indeed wrapped up their Arcs to this Arc Very Well, Maybe one of the Best Episodes of the ToP and Series maybe IMO! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I guess its also interesting that we found out the source of the magical girls power. Apparently they get it from the affection of others and when the three guys all had that love focused on them they not only gained the same power but surpassed them. I wonder if Goku could manifest it or what would be better, Gohan as the Great Saiyaman!

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Artorias wrote:There are certain episodes in Super that I like, but I can completely understand why others do not. Even for the special, which I adored, I could totally understand someone getting bored due to the fact that it was basically just a mindless alpha slug fest with nothing really happening on a narrative or character level.

This episode, however, isn't like that. I genuinely don't understand how you could be a fan of this franchise and these characters and NOT enjoy this. 118 was just fantastic on nearly every front. Action, direction, music, writing, character moments. Everything.

Most of the complaints I've seen are either people misunderstanding the point of certain scenes or...engaging in power scaling debates which...well let's just say I think is the single most boring way you could discuss an episode.

Only real major gripe is the reused animation in the first half, which was admittedly, well....RIDICULOUS in how excessive it was. I don't think there was a single piece of animation in that first half except for the initial little scuffle between Goku and U2 that wasn't bank.
I enjoyed the episode, and I think most people did. I just didn't find it fantastic on nearly every front. It was good on every front, it was a good episode. However, there were a lot of things that could have been done better and this should have been a two part episode to truly cover everything without feeling as rushed as it did here. On its own, this was a great episode, but considering some of the fantastic episodes we've been getting recently, I don't see how this one far and away stands out as one of the greatest episodes in the entire series like so many are claiming, and it's not that certain scenes are being misunderstood, they're just not written nearly as well as they could have been. Some people are fine with that though, and others want more depth to the writing. It's a kid's show at the end of the day though so I guess I'm the fool for wanting something more compelling.

Episodes like 116, 114, 110, 109, 107, 105, 104, 95, and 94 are much, much stronger contenders for being some of the best episodes in the entire series IMO.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:I guess its also interesting that we found out the source of the magical girls power. Apparently they get it from the affection of others and when the three guys all had that love focused on them they not only gained the same power but surpassed them. I wonder if Goku could manifest it or what would be better, Gohan as the Great Saiyaman!
Indeed, I think Episode 118 was a Good Aknolegment of where the Girls and the U2 team get their powers and it is humbling it come from thier people of the Univese they Defend, that is True Superheroics Right thier IMO!

But I think the ones that will benefit from this kind of Power or Style of it will be Androids 17, 18 and Krillan cause now I feel Toei is teasing use with them being connected and becoming more connected after this arc is over like they have with Vegeta with Cabba along with Goku with Kale and Caulifla.

That is why I starting to think apart of this arcs major points might be connecting different universes to different members of U7 to expand both those U7 members and the Universe they become attached too. DB always seem to attach new characters threw combat, seems to be keeping that tradition alive here too. :think:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

SSJ3MJ

Post by SSJ3MJ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:25 pm

loved this episode. Both universe went out in style and I actually shad a tear for U2 on how will they toke their fate. I really liked the music at the end as well.
I wish the 2 nameks got more screen time because I was starting to like them.

And finally with Rib/Caulfila/Kale gone the haters can finally STFU, who have been nothing but a headache for the past 4 weeks (Make that months). And with the more entertaining universes gone the final four are 7,3,4, and 11. How exciting :thumbdown: 7 and 11 are the exception but I don't give a crap about U3 and U4. Have 7,6,2 and 11 would have been a lot better. but the looks of it episode 119 is going to be about U3, what fun -_-

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:What makes me really sad is now that Ribrianne and the U6 saiyan girls are out, how else am I going to get my weekly salt intake from the fanbase? Truly this was a far greater loss than I had realized!
I think what was good was how U2 and U6 presented themselves this week very well and very respectively. While I was not a fan of 2 Universes going out a Week ago, the way Toei wrote it was so Amazingly done I am indeed eating my own words on it, truly 118 was IMO a Turnaround for allot of the flow of this story.

The Fact that they had both U2 and U6 go out together showed the Weight and Importance of these Universes whether your a fan of them or not, Toei Projected that well and made them both have some of the best Good-bye Death Scenes I have seen/read in a LongTime, Toei resurrected my hopes for this Arc and maybe Super in general.

I think both Universes did the most they could at this point, Hench why I am not as sad as I thought to see them go.

Death in Dragon Ball is never always a permit thing, it seems like Toei has longterm plans for allot of these characters and they made us feel the weight of who they where.

We have to weight and see what they do, but they indeed wrapped up their Arcs to this Arc Very Well, Maybe one of the Best Episodes of the ToP and Series maybe IMO! :thumbup:
Both universes were enjoyable even to the very end and them getting erased was honesty the best part of the episode for me. Even though I do wish Dragon ball had more consequences I'd be alright if the erased universes come back. It be a shame to waste all this potential, but I'd be more surprised if they did keep them erased in the end.

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Post by King Jacku » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 am

What I got from Beerus saying "Say something" was him breaking the fourth wall and telling the narrator to say something before he started getting emotional lol

SSJ3MJ

Post by SSJ3MJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:15 am

Berrus "Say something." Came off to me as "Say something in your final moments" This is why I prefer DUB>SUBS with anime. Simple phrasing of words can make it clear what a character is saying if you don't speak Japanese.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 am

nato25 wrote:I think people are reading way too much in to it. It's just Beerus saying like "Say something you idiot". He knows thats not how people are meant to say goodbye but thats just how his brother and their relationship is so he's still mocking him because that's how they show love. This is pretty much the only way I can see it being intended. Talking to the narrator... definitely not.
Yeah - pretty much how I choose to interpret it.

Just re-watched it actually, and there is a brief moment, just after Cabba, Hit, and the others are erased, where they focus on Champa - stood alone with the 'erase' effect glowing on him (just before he makes his final gesture). Sorry - lame as it sounds, that (brief) scene is heart-breaking.

Because after millions of years of being GoD and wiping out countless people/planets, Beerus really doesn't seem to know how handle the emotion of losing someone he actually CARES about.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 am

Comments on this episode:

- So the tournament is being broadcasted live to Universe 2, but what about the other universes? Obviously the majority of Universe 7 has no idea it's happening. Do the Kaioshins decide whether the inhabitants should know or not, or something?
- Vados is such a troll
- I actually though that Saonel and Pirina might have fused with the other Namekians in their universe for the tournament, but I figured that would be the kind of fan-made strategy that most of the teams wouldn't end up using (not to mention they would have to sacrifice the entire species except for those two...)
- So again, I think the 'love' ki is similar to genki that is gathered from other beings to charge the Genki Dama. But if they could gather it from Universe 2, doesn't that mean that Goku could have gathered genki from everyone in universe 7 when forming the Genki Dama?
- The transformation sequence was pretty funny
- I wonder why they didn't have the two of them fuse as well, and then they could add an extra member to the team
- Also the thing about their power needing time to stabilize seems like a retcon, as when Piccolo fused with Nail and Kami, he got a power boost immediately, but maybe it takes longer if you fuse with so many others at once
- Fusing with other Namekians doesn't explain how one of them apparently knows Magic Materialization - was one of the Namekians in their universe a Kami too?
- So Zarbuto absorbing that 'love' allowed him to learn Rosie's technique as well? How does that work?
- That was an interesting scene with Kami and Nail
- I'd complain about the powerscaling with Piccolo matching fighters who are equal to max power Chou Gohan, but that would be minor compared to a lot of the stuff we've seen so far
- I'd also complain about how they can fight in mid-air like that without flying and without jumping so far as to land outside of the ring, but that's old hat by now
- Pretty neat attack, but I still don't understand how people can think that heart-shaped thing is a real black hole... people mentioned it absorbing 18's attack but it also wouldn't distort in form like that when it happened... there's also no singularity inside, it's just a uniform area of high gravity. Not to mention all the hearts everywhere.
- I like the music and the way this scene is executed
- As I have been saying before, though, I would really like to see some more Universe 7 eliminations, because otherwise things will just get boring
- I suppose it's at least nice that Zeno gives them some time to say goodbye
- So is that heart thing that drifted off proof that some part of them survived, or just a visual effect not meant to be taken literally?
- I'm glad that Vados is at least showing some remorse
- Somehow I don't see Katopesla lasting past the next episode

This was a pretty good episode, all things considered. It's starting to seem like we're really getting to the climax of the tournament.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Comments on this episode:

- So the tournament is being broadcasted live to Universe 2, but what about the other universes? Obviously the majority of Universe 7 has no idea it's happening. Do the Kaioshins decide whether the inhabitants should know or not, or something?
- Vados is such a troll
- I actually though that Saonel and Pirina might have fused with the other Namekians in their universe for the tournament, but I figured that would be the kind of fan-made strategy that most of the teams wouldn't end up using (not to mention they would have to sacrifice the entire species except for those two...)
- So again, I think the 'love' ki is similar to genki that is gathered from other beings to charge the Genki Dama. But if they could gather it from Universe 2, doesn't that mean that Goku could have gathered genki from everyone in universe 7 when forming the Genki Dama?
- I wonder why they didn't have the two of them fuse as well, and then they could add an extra member to the team
- Also the thing about their power needing time to stabilize seems like a retcon, as when Piccolo fused with Nail and Kami, he got a power boost immediately, but maybe it takes longer if you fuse with so many others at once
- Fusing with other Namekians doesn't explain how one of them apparently knows Magic Materialization - was one of the Namekians in their universe a Kami too?
- So Zarbuto absorbing that 'love' allowed him to learn Rosie's technique as well? How does that work?
- I'd complain about the powerscaling with Piccolo matching fighters who are equal to max power Chou Gohan, but that would be minor compared to a lot of the stuff we've seen so far
- I'd also complain about how they can fight in mid-air like that without flying and without jumping so far as to land outside of the ring, but that's old hat by now
- Pretty neat attack, but I still don't understand how people can think that heart-shaped thing is a real black hole... people mentioned it absorbing 18's attack but it also wouldn't distort in form like that when it happened... there's also no singularity inside, it's just a uniform area of high gravity. Not to mention all the hearts everywhere.
- As I have been saying before, though, I would really like to see some more Universe 7 eliminations, because otherwise things will just get boring
- So is that heart thing that drifted off proof that some part of them survived, or just a visual effect not meant to be taken literally?

This was a pretty good episode, all things considered. It's starting to seem like we're really getting to the climax of the tournament.
Saonel and Pirina only fused wuth volunteers. The stabilisation that is needed might actually explain why Piccolo got so strong between Frieza and the Androids. Piccolo could create things before Kami so Saonel and Pirina probably could as well.

Piccolo is not as strong as Ultimate Gohan it is just that his attack is ridiculously strong and anyone not named Jiren probably would have got a big hole through them if they were hit.

I think Katopesla will survive until a Universe 3 focused episode where Vegeta will take him out.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

- Vados is such a troll

If they call it black hole and they say that even light can't escape = Black Hole in real life. Its a kid show therefore it doesn't look like a real black hole (a form of a heart)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 am

Solid episode, easily one of the strongest of the tournament.

The first half relied a little too much on re-used animation and I didn't particularly enjoy how the universe 2 warriors were just rip offs of the magical girls, but other than that, everything was pretty solid, the humour landed, the universe 6 Nameks were cool, and the direction was pretty on point.

The second half is where it really picks up. The character moments are all fantastic and the action is extemely memorable and well directed.

Overall, a very solid episode, despite a weaker first half, the second half made up for it in spades.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 am

Pannaliciour wrote:

- Vados is such a troll

If they call it black hole and they say that even light can't escape = Black Hole in real life. Its a kid show therefore it doesn't look like a real black hole (a form of a heart)
That's very poor logic. If you want to define it as a 'real' black hole, you have to accept the underlying physics that define a real black hole. You ignore them and invoke them simultaneously. It doesn't have properties anywhere close to a real black hole. I can even name shounen anime that did portray accurate black holes (i.e. Gunbuster).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147