Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:40 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 119, aired 10 December 2017

回避不能!?ステルス攻撃の猛威!!
Kaihi Funou!? Suterusu Kougeki no Mou'i!!
Unavoidable?! The Fierce Stealth Attack!!

Summary:
As Vegeta and Katopesla continue to battle, Katopesla finally changes into his “Ultimate Mode”, increasing both his power and speed 300-fold. But the uninterested Vegeta attacks him before he can finish explaining about this form, forcing Katopesla to use his ultimate technique, “The Final Mission”. Vegeta though counters this with a Final Flash, which he offers as a superior example of a “final” technique.

Vegeta’s blast knocks Katopesla to the edge of the arena, but he just barely manages to stop himself before going over. Suddenly though, Katopesla tumbles over the edge and is ringed out. As Katopesla materializes in the bleachers, the U3 God of Destruction Mosco (via his angel) asks him what happened, but even he isn’t sure himself. It was like something attacked his feet…At that moment, something nearly knocks Vegeta out of the arena as well, and soon after Gohan is kicked from behind and goes over the edge, though thankfully Piccolo stretches out his arms to rescue him.

Something strange is going on, but nobody is sure what. Could it be someone using teleportation, an afterimage, or Hit’s Time-Skip skill? No.18 is the next to be attacked by this mysterious opponent, and when Quitela laughs Beerus realizes this must be another one of his tricks. Roshi wonders if they might be dealing with an invisible person, and while Beerus can’t believe it would be something so old-fashioned, Quitela confirms that this is indeed the case. Still, knowing this doesn’t help 18 much, since it’s tricky to attack or defend against someone you can’t see.

Piccolo jumps in and unleashes a large blast from out of his entire body, enveloping everything in front of him (the same technique he used against Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai). This way, he should be able to hit his enemy without aiming. However, the invisible enemy still manages to get away, and using such powerful attacks repeatedly will quickly drain Piccolo’s stamina. Quitela’s plan is to wear them down like this and then ring them out.

Remembering the last time he encountered an invisible man, Roshi recommends that Gohan cover the enemy in something…such as a nosebleed. Gohan however opts to fire a series of blasts to create a cloud of dust, thus revealing the vaguely lizard-like outline of their opponent, Gamisaras. Now able to see his opponent, Piccolo wastes no time in defeating him. In the bleachers, Gamisaras apologizes to Quitela, and Beerus brags that such tricks won’t work against U7, but Quitela thinks to himself that they are just getting started.

Quitela orders the diminutive Shantza to get going, and Shantza creates a strange red zone around the U7 fighters. Trio de Dangers and other warriors from the destroyed universes appear, claiming to be back for revenge. Though Piccolo recognizes these as illusions, they are apparently still solid enough to attack him and the others, though their own attacks simply pass through their phantom opponents.

While the phantoms themselves have no ki to sense, Piccolo can still sense two people nearby: one moving, and one still. Gohan realizes that the still one must be creating the illusions, while the other uses the illusions as cover to attack them. Indeed, Piccolo soon spots Shantza hiding nearby and very easily blows him out of the arena, much to Quitela’s annoyance. The illusions and red zone vanish, but the second fighter still remains and continues his attack.

This final U4 fighter, Damon, is apparently another invisible person, but unlike Gamisaras he is unable to suppress his ki, and Piccolo confidently attacks him. For some reason though, none of Piccolo’s attacks connect, and in his confusion he is caught off-guard and knocked from the arena. Materializing in the bleachers, Piccolo wonders what happened; it’s almost as if Damon is not only invisible, but lacks a physical body.

Goku saves 17 from getting ringed out by Damon’s attacks, and 17 soon figures out Damon’s secret. He stands still and closes his eyes, taunting Damon to come attack him. Not distracted by sight or ki-sensing, 17’s attacks zero in on Damon and finally reveal his true nature: a tiny bug person. Since everyone incorrectly assumed Damon was invisible, the discrepancy between the ki they sensed from him and his tiny size prevented any of their attacks from hitting.

Even knowing Damon’s secret, it’s still difficult for Goku and 17 to manage to hit such a small and fast opponent; what’s worse, they have to be careful not to kill him and get disqualified. 17 figures out that Damon has no wings and therefore must always jump to attack, so Goku repeatedly punches the arena, crumbling the ground beneath Damon’s feet and throwing him off enough for 17 to capture him within a tiny barrier.

17 kicks the now immobilized Damon out of bounds, and the Great Priest officially announces Damon’s loss. With the elimination of the last of U4’s fighters, the Omni-Kings prepare to annihilate U4. Quitela refuses to accept this and tries to take everyone else down with him, but before he can do anything, he and the rest of U4 cease to exist.

12 minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 119 (10 December 2017)

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Y' know, instead of letting Vegeta have the chance to catch himself up, Gamisaras could've attacked his arms.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Shantza, such a cool design and ability, turns out to be another wasted potential. I think the writer for this ep forgot he can fly naturally, and that was his attitude.

With him and Katopesla out, I have no more comedy fighters to look forward to.

Legit sad.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Xeogran wrote:Shantza, such a cool design and ability, turns out to be another wasted potential. I think the writer for this ep forgot he can fly naturally, and that was his attitude.

With him and Katopesla out, I have no more comedy fighters to look forward to.

Legit sad.
We still have Toppo.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:32 pm

While the execution of the past few episodes have been great, this episode really illustrates the issue with fast-tracking the erasure of the two most charismatic universes while keeping the less prominent ones in the ring. This episode might have been ok if it had come earlier (say, around the time Goku was still fighting Caulifla and Kale). As it stands, it feels like filler.

Even then, it still ended up feeling like the sniper episode, but worse. At least the sniper episode had tension and a mystery. The Universe 7 fighters figured out how to beat the U4 warriors almost instantly after surviving the first ambush, with Piccolo's elimination being a mere hiccup.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm

After all the great episodes we've been getting since the special, I'm not even that mad that we finally got a boring episode. The streak was bound to end eventually.

It really feels like the writers are speeding through these two other universes just to finally reach the climax of the tournament. I'm kinda okay with that since I do not care about them and just want to see how Universe 7 is going to deal with Universe 11.

Laters, Piccolo. They really are just eliminating all the bald people first, huh? :lol:

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Laters, Piccolo. They really are just eliminating all the bald people first, huh? :lol:
Guess that means Freeza is up next on the list. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I'm kinda okay with that since I do not care about them and just want to see how Universe 7 is going to deal with Universe 11.
I'm not, otherwise they should have made it from the start into U7 vs U11 Tournament without including the rest if it's all that matters.

Why did Caulifla and Kale get like 5 eps, Ribrianne got like 3, but U4 whose GoD is Beerus' rival cant even get two proper episodes.

I'm bored of Jiren this, Jiren that. They could have kept it interesting but no. Down with Bugs, Shantza and Katopesla. So fun to just off them all anti climatically.

... But Dyspo who should have been out like 5 times is still in.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 pm

The problem with this episode wasn't what it did, but what it didn't do.

Oh well, i add it to 100 and 106 as the genuine bad episodes of this arc.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I'm kinda okay with that since I do not care about them and just want to see how Universe 7 is going to deal with Universe 11.
I'm not, otherwise they should have made it from the start into U7 vs U11 Tournament without including the rest if it's all that matters.

Why did Caulifla and Kale get like 5 eps, Ribrianne got like 3, but U4 whose GoD is Beerus' rival cant even get two proper episodes.

I'm bored of Jiren this, Jiren that. They could have kept it interesting but no. Down with Bugs, Shantza and Katopesla. So fun to just off them all anti climatically.

You best believe thats what the manga will do.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 pm

another waste of an episode

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Xeogran wrote:... But Dyspo who should have been out like 5 times is still in.
Yeah, Dyspo's just... there. He really should've been knocked out in Episode 104.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

And a streak of good episodes has ended once again:

-Given this was U4's last act, I would expect a better performance from them. They gave some trouble to U7 but were dealt with quickly. They did ring out Piccolo, but he in return ringed out two of them and saved two of his teammates. Goku saved 17. Shantsa was cute, but he could be written out and nothing would change. Moreover, I thought Damon would be something more than a just weaker Candy Vegetto. Gamisaras came and went. At least they didn't reach U10 levels of terribad.

-The art only looked good at the beginning and ending seconds of the episode.

-How odd is that Piccolo has much better hearing than most characters yet he relied too much on sensing ki. Couldn't have he heard something from Damon at least?

-Vegeta should take his own advice, "I'm not interested in hearing your bragging!" He's the kettle calling the pot black.

-Roshi telling Gohan to use blood from his nose to cover Gamisaras was funny. Good callback. It also led to Gohan using his brain again.

Am I the only one that wanted all three remaining universes to play soccer with Damon and the barrier around him as the ball? The universe that scores the most goals would win.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:After all the great episodes we've been getting since the special, I'm not even that mad that we finally got a boring episode. The streak was bound to end eventually.

It really feels like the writers are speeding through these two other universes just to finally reach the climax of the tournament. I'm kinda okay with that since I do not care about them and just want to see how Universe 7 is going to deal with Universe 11.

Laters, Piccolo. They really are just eliminating all the bald people first, huh? :lol:
That was to be expected and is actually good. We had some episodes with no single elimination in them - we had to catch up. Now it's 8 eliminations in like 2 episodes, pretty damn fast-paced, just like in the beginning of the tournament. We should expect 4 eliminations at the same time in the next episode when Megazord gets knocked out, which'll leave U3 with just 2 guys. From that point, moving on to the final fight with U11 will be pretty straightforward.

On a side note - U7 will look pretty amazing at the end of the day. Not only will they have won despite everyone else ganging up on them, but they'll also have the courtesy to make a selfless wish bringing back all the erased universes. Goku will probably even teach Zeno a lesson that the value of mortals is in their actions, not in their "mortal level", and instead of erasing universes on a whim, from then on Zeno will create a positive reinforcement-based motivation system for them to improve the mortal level.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Shansta's power executed differently could've made for a whole episode. Also The Baldies in the Bleachers group is complete. Poor Piccolo, but maybe this frees up Gohan.

This is the first episode in a while where the plot felt rushed. Like, I can actually feel the fact that one day this arc too will end.

Jokes aside, It was a dull but inoffensive episode. Next week's should be better.

I'm looking forward to Jump Festa next weekend though.
Preview info on the next arc please! :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Well...we have a new candidate for worst episode of the tournament. That was just terrible. Some of the most awkward pacing I've seen from this show. Everything from animation to the writing was painfully mediocre.

I literally can't think of a single good thing besides the cool little team up between Goku and 17 at the end, but even that was pretty underwhelming.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Artorias wrote:Well...we have a new candidate for worst episode of the tournament. That was just terrible. Some of the most awkward pacing I've seen from this show. Everything from animation to the writing was painfully mediocre.

I literally can't think of a single good thing besides the cool little team up between Goku and 17 at the end, but even that was pretty underwhelming.
I argue this was better than 106 because at least I didn't get mad. I was just bored.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:Shansta's power executed differently could've made for a whole episode. Also The Baldies in the Bleachers group is complete. Poor Piccolo, but maybe this frees up Gohan.

This is the first episode in a while where the plot felt rushed. Like, I can actually feel the fact that one day this arc too will end.

Jokes aside, It was a dull but inoffensive episode. Next week's should be better.

I'm looking forward to Jump Festa next weekend though.
Preview info on the next arc please! :mrgreen:
I found the fact that Damon, Gamisaras, and Shantsa were turned into fodders to be pretty offensive (especially Shantsa who got ringed out by a casual ki blast).

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Totamo wrote:
Artorias wrote:Well...we have a new candidate for worst episode of the tournament. That was just terrible. Some of the most awkward pacing I've seen from this show. Everything from animation to the writing was painfully mediocre.

I argue this was better than 106 because at least I didn't get mad. I was just bored.
True, but 106 had a few moments that I actually mildly enjoyed. There was literally nothing remotely interesting in this one.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Xeogran wrote:

You are probably in the minority. While I’m not a fan of kale and Caulifla, I’d much rather watch their episodes than have them stretch out a bunch of fighters I don’t really care about.

If it bothers you that much, go write your own fan fiction and spread it out over the web.

I will say though that I’m annoyed Dyspo is still in this tournament. He should’ve been long gone.
How i predict the tournament will end: