Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 126, aired 4 February 2018

神をも超えろ!ベジータ捨て身の一撃!!
Kami wo mo Koero! Bejīta Sutemi no Ichigeki!!
Surpass Even a God! Vegeta's Desperate Blow!!

Summary:

17 refuses to give up despite Toppo’s overwhelming new God of Destruction powers. The two fire blasts at each other, but Toppo’s Destruction Energy quickly nullifies 17’s blast, and he follows up with a volley of Justice Flashes. 17 runs and tries to hide behind some rubble, but Toppo quickly tracks him down, using his Destruction Energy to clear a path straight through the rubble. Seeing how the rest of the rubble crashes down afterwards, 17 hides again, but this time manages to bury Toppo beneath a pile of rubble as it comes crashing down.

However, Toppo wastes no time in using his Destruction Energy to blast his way out, and attacks 17 with a flurry of regular ki blasts. In order to avoid destroying 17 himself (and thereby getting disqualified), Toppo charges up a large regular ki ball to finish him off, but Freeza suddenly reappears and blows up Toppo’s ki ball before it can hit 17. In return for the rough treatment he received from Toppo earlier, Freeza uses his paralysis powers to stop Toppo from moving, then hurls rocks at him via telekinesis. Toppo though remains unharmed and breaks free, forcing 17 and Freeza to shower him with ki blasts.

Even this is no use against Toppo, who assures them there is no way they can win now that he has the Power of Destruction. Toppo prepares to knock the two of them out of bounds, saying they should be grateful for not being destroyed. Suddenly Toppo is hit by a few stray blasts from Goku, Vegeta, and Jiren’s fight. Still in the heat of battle, the three have coincidentally drawn near the spot where Toppo and co. stand. Jiren fires another blast, and while Goku and Vegeta manage to dodge, it hits Freeza and 17 head-on.

Jiren and Toppo wordlessly come to an understanding, and Toppo goes after Vegeta as his next opponent, overwhelming him with a barrage of Justice Flashes. In the bleachers, the U7 team is concerned about Goku and Vegeta being split up like this; now that they’re no longer able to team up against Jiren, the situation looks grim. Vegeta fires a Final Flash at Toppo, but he nullifies it with Destruction Energy. Vegeta may have powered up, but Toppo remains unimpressed. For his part, Vegeta can tell Toppo is far stronger than he was before, but he is still determined to win and keep his promise to Cabba and the others.

Vegeta points out how Toppo has switched from talking about “justice” all the time to now talking about “destruction”. Toppo says he doesn’t need justice if it can’t protect his universe, and laughs at Vegeta’s promise to his fellow Saiyans. He claims Vegeta will never win without casting aside such pointless things, and hurls a large ki blast at him. As the attack bears down on him, Vegeta reflects on how he cannot cast aside his family, Cabba and the others, his promise, or his pride as a Saiyan. He’s different than Toppo!

With new determination, Vegeta beats back Toppo’s blast and begins a fierce counterattack. In the bleachers, Dyspo and Belmod are shocked to see Toppo getting knocked around. Belmod tells Toppo to just start destroying all of Vegeta’s attacks, as long as he avoids killing Vegeta. Toppo fires away, but Vegeta continues to dodge his attacks and beat him up, saying he won’t lose to someone who couldn’t protect their own pride.

Vegeta promises to hit Toppo with an attack too powerful for him to destroy, and begins charging up a tremendous amount of ki around himself. Piccolo recognizes this technique as the same one Vegeta used when he sacrificed his life against Buu. Toppo counters by charging up a gigantic ball of Destruction Energy and the two attacks struggle against each other, but in the end Vegeta’s energy is indeed too much for Toppo to destroy, and he is overwhelmed by the explosion. Toppo materializes in the bleachers, where Dyspo and Khai can’t believe he lost. Belmod remains silent, while Marcarita thanks Toppo for a job well done.

The Great Priest formally announces Toppo’s elimination, while the Omni-Kings chatter about how much they enjoyed the fight. Piccolo thinks that Vegeta has truly sacrificed his life to defeat Toppo, but they soon see that he is still alive and well inside the arena, although he has reverted to his base form. With Super Saiyan Blue and beyond, Vegeta has grown vastly stronger than he was back when he died using that same technique against Buu, so his body is now able to withstand it. However, Beerus points out that while he may have survived, Vegeta has used up all his power and can barely remain on his feet.

17 emerges from some rubble, and everyone is glad to see that he survived too (Freeza is still nowhere to be seen, though). Now only Jiren remains as U7’s final opponent. Jiren is disappointed in his teammates, and congratulates Vegeta on defeating Toppo; he’s impressed Vegeta could be so powerful without casting all else aside. As the others look on, Jiren begins powering up to unleash his hidden power.

Four minutes remain in the Tournament of Power.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 126 (4 February 2018)

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 pm

While not as good as last weeks episode, I did enjoy this one a lot. I feel like Toppo should've lasted longer, but even Jiren was disappointed by how Toppo achieved nothing with the GoD transformation.

Loved seeing Freeza step back in and give Toppo some shit. Was also nice seeing him working with 17 again since we didn't see enough of that last week. Vegeta was definitely the highlight of the episode. It was cool seeing him do Final Explosion even though it didn't actually kill him. Just goes to show how much stronger he's gotten.

My favourite part was when Vegeta remembered his family and Cabba and then proceeded to whoop Toppo's ass. Really great scene.

Next week looks crazy. Jiren at full power? Holy crap. It was actually really intimidating when he was talking at the end of todays episode. We haven't seen that side of Jiren, have we?

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 pm

One of the weakest episode of the series ?

All the amazing momentum from 125 was completely wasted.

The writing was incompetent (not surprising given the writer), the direction was weak, the animation was serviceable (would have benefited from better direction), the pacing was bad...

And the story development was just absolutely atrocious.

Beyond "Vegeta winning", which isn't a problem at all, we have Vegeta using a deadly move with literally no consequence, completely trivializing Toppo on multiple occasions. "He used up all his power" yeah cool he's already back to Sparkly Blue in the NEP. Just like Goku is also back to Kaioken.

On top of that, they made Frieza EVEN MORE of an idiot, something I thought impossible after last week, he learned nothing and suffers the same fate... It also managed to make 17 look bad for the first time, quite the feat because it leads to 17 doing something important next week and will now be a jarring contrast. So 17 was literally powerless against Toppo but now he's gonna work out something against the guy stronger than Toppo... Ok, Super's consistency.

This is terrible. Last week was one of the best and this one was SUCH a let down.
Last edited by Slaythe on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:35 pm

FINAL EXPLOSION finally worked on somebody. Not on Boo, not on Super 17, Vegeta stopped Goku from using it on Super Yi Xing Long and Trunks could also not use it on Zamasu.

But finally after such a long time one of Vegeta's attacks did something!

Also Jire casually kicking Goku away was gold.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 pm

First half was terrible but the second half had me on edge and i love a call back to one of my favourite moments of the whole franchise. Really enjoyed it and reaffirms how far Vegeta has come since when he did literally throw everything away to fight Goku. Good to see him remmeber his family as well. Jiren got some great lines here as well and loved how vegeta challenged jirens morals on justice.

God damn was I pissed to see Frieza back though and vegeta in the Nep. Did someone revive gero and have him kit out everyone with infinite energy reactors? If everyone can use every technique with no draw back wtf are the consequences... Thats easily hurting super the most imo.

Plus the whole minute of reused episode and how repetitive the first half was.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 pm

so this episode tore off vegeta's upper armour like Merged Zamasu did. is this a sign that Vegito may appear?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm

I didn't like this episode.

Toppo completely lost his menacing aura, he didn't feel as intense as last week. They were still trying to overhype him but that backfired as the episode went on.

Freeza casually standing up after the beating completely disses on the previous episode's narrative.

Worst offender is still the Kai rehash. It's going to be hard to try and rewatch this episode with reused footage, will probably skip. Really wish such things wouldn't happen when Super is in it's final episodes.

Last minute Jiren was the best thing. His smile, Toppo roasting and counterattack were all nice.

Also, why did Toppo spam Hakai at everything? That got repetitive quickly. Is he going to spam Hakai at ordinary tasks in life too? Why take out the trash bin when you can just Hakai it.

Man, they completely blew the uniqueness of this technique.
Last edited by Xeogran on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Slaythe wrote:One of the weakest episode of the series ?

All the amazing momentum from 125 was completely wasted.

The writing was incompetent (not surprising given the writer), the direction was weak, the animation was serviceable (would have benefited from better direction), the pacing was bad...

And the story development was just absolutely atrocious.

Beyond "Vegeta winning", which isn't a problem at all, we have Vegeta using a deadly move with literally no consequence, completely trivializing Toppo on multiple occasions. "He used up all his power" yeah cool he's already back to Sparkly Blue in the NEP. Just like Goku is also back to Kaioken.

On top of that, they made Frieza EVEN MORE of an idiot, something I thought impossible after last week, he learned nothing and suffers the same fate... It also managed to make 17 look bad for the first time, quite the feat because it leads to 17 doing something important next week and will now be a jarring contrast. So 17 was literally powerless against Toppo but now he's gonna work out something against the guy stronger than Toppo... Ok, Super's consistency.

This is terrible. Last week was one of the best and this one was SUCH a let down.
You see, I'd be more angry with this if said move actually accomplished something back then which is really what killed any sense of epicness for me.

Then super saiyan 3.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:56 pm

I loved the Vegeta moments in this episode, but I feel the episode as a whole diminished the hype surrounding Toppo from the previous episode. His presence felt less dominant and scary, and he was quickly beaten after one hell of a revelation in #125. It almost confirms that Toppo wasn't intended to be what they showcased him as when he became a "God of Destruction." That was pure Toei fluff.
Cetra wrote:FINAL EXPLOSION finally worked on somebody. Not on Boo, not on Super 17, Vegeta stopped Goku from using it on Super Yi Xing Long and Trunks could also not use it on Zamasu.

But finally after such a long time one of Vegeta's attacks did something!
Eh...not really. Every time this attack has been used has been for the purpose of killing the enemy. Toppo survived. If he was a major baddy, that attack would have still been useless.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 pm

I’m gonna be honest here, I really think this arc is losing its sense of tension. U7 still has 4 warriors left (and Vegeta will apparently be back at full power by next week), whereas U11 only has Jiren now. I’m hoping they have Jiren eliminate at least two fighters by next week or this whole tournament will have ended up looking painfully one-sided.

As far as the episode as a whole was concerned, it was okay, but it’s disappointing that the whole “potential GoD” thing amounted to nothing more than a warm up boss. I suppose that’s meant to be a testament to just how formidable Jiren is, but still. Speaking of Jiren, I think it’s clear at this point that anime Jiren isn’t really some righteous boyscout. The fact that Goku was actually appalled by Jiren’s criticism of his teammates says it all really. That’s a bit of a shame.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 pm

terrible episode. constant spamming of ki blasts the whole episode because toei are too lazy to animate real hand to hand combat. frieza standing and well after being wreacked to pieces in the last episode like nothing. bullshit. terrible and cliche fight. with terrible and cliche attack from vegeta.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Eh...not really. Every time this attack has been used has been for the purpose of killing the enemy. Toppo survived. If he was a major baddy, that attack would have still been useless.
What kind of nonsense is that? It did was it was supposed to do, ergo it worked. There is no "if Toppo was a villain", "if he wanted to kill/the other times he wanted this and that". He wanted to defeat Toppo with it and he did. It is really that simple.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 pm

One of the first episodes in a while where I have like no interest of seeing again.

-Toppo gets wasted big time.
-Glad Vegeta pointed out his family. Would prefer that take more center precedence over Cabba.
-We're basically in the same spot as the first half of the last episode considering how Toppo was already overpowering the others before transforming.
-Toppo barely gets time to flaunt his new more interesting power, and has no lasting impact.
-Vegeta uses a deadly move with no consequence. Goes Bluer next episode to fight alongside Goku again.
-Even if Freeza say gives Vegeta some little energy he may have, it still invalidates Toppo.
-Vegeta wins in the most soulless way.
-Toppo's awesome Hakai barrier coulda made for a clever way to fight against it...but no.
-Jiren for once makes me smile, but only because he calls out Toppo for being SHIT

Basically just twiddling my thumbs til Ultra Instinct comes back now, so I can start giving a shit again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Well...that might've been the single worst callback in this entire show. God, what a eye roll inducing moment. And on top of that... he SURVIVES?! Way to completely miss the point of everything surrounding that attack. If you're going to do a shameless callback, AT LEAST have the balls to follow through with the shameless callback. But no, they couldn't even do that. If you're going to just let him survive and continue to fight next episode, don't bother.

This episode was...not good. Not good at all. You can tell that this was written by the same guy that did 119, in that its all just so disconnected from every other surrounding episode.

The spectacle of the fights were decent, but the writing surrounding this was atrocious. 17 thinking rocks would work, Freeza somehow being fine after getting stomped and pulling paralysis out of his ass, Vegeta's cringey "you're a loser" line, Vegeta's even cringier shameless suicide attack callback, the battle once again being decided by an unnecessary, vapid beam or in this case "ball" struggle, every line Jiren uttered. What a mess.

Not terrible, due to the relatively entertaining fight sequences, but still lacking big time.
Last edited by Artorias on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Cetra wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote: Eh...not really. Every time this attack has been used has been for the purpose of killing the enemy. Toppo survived. If he was a major baddy, that attack would have still been useless.
What kind of nonsense is that? It did was it was supposed to do, ergo it worked. There is no "if Toppo was a villain", "if he wanted to kill/the other times he wanted this and that". He wanted to defeat Toppo with it and he did. It is really that simple.
Let me rephrase. Yeah, it worked, given the context it was used here for. But he used examples of the attack being used in the past, and failing. In all those examples, the attack was used for a different purpose. It still hasn't "worked" with the intent its been used in the past, if that makes sense.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Not terrible but meh. Vegeta getting the W was fine but the way it happened was incredibly lame. Jiren throwing shade at the end was the best part of the episode. He's a douche but what he said wasn't wrong. Next week looks more fun, and seems like Jiren's getting a new move and his aura looks great.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm not even a VegeBul shipper, but I'm happy to see Vegeta reference Bulma along with the rest of his immediate family (newborn daughter after all!!) in addition to and instead of this being all about Cabba. Thank you whoever wrote this one.

Other than that? It was ok. Some cool animation bits in the second half, but average.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Weaker than last episode.

I guess the 1 minute repetition was needed but to get freeza back so early was useless. that thing could have been done with 17 alone.

Finally. I was right about Final attonament. I saw it coming a long way. Vegeta has his definitive win. He has surpassed a GoD.

Evil Jiren? Could his so called goodness be a ruse? It's clear he is extremely arrogant. To the point that even Goku feels bad for Toppo and Dyspo.

Now. That evil smile though.
Last edited by Professor Freeza on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Did people watch without subs or something? Piccolo flat out said Vegeta survived because he's now Super Saiyan Blue and a million times stronger than he was in the early Buu arc.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

episode was dope, vegeta finally got a W for the first time in dragonball history he beat someone as strong or stronger than he was. Every other time he's been way stronger than people he has beaten.

Also i hope vegeta get's offensive UI in a few weeks

Jiren is an asshole, he chastised toppo for losing and seems to have that final villian snarkyness to him.