Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 128 (18 February 2018)

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 am

Was anyone else annoyed that the episode title spoiled what was going to happen? I'm used to this from DBZ (Frieza Defeated!) and other anime, but it still irks me whenever it happens. I find that it removes a good amount of tension/suspense from the episode itself.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 am

Comments on this episode:

- Other people's confidence pisses off Vegeta? Hypocrite central
- When Goku attacked Jiren in base form he couldn't even touch him, but Jiren is actually blocking and dodging Vegeta's attacks in base? When he only used a finger to block SSJG Goku's punches? And Krillin even says there's no power in Vegeta's punches. Is Jiren just humoring him or what? Or is it more sloppy Super powerscaling?
- "Playtime is over"? Oh Jiren, you just botched it. Everyone knows that using that particular line is a guarantee that you're going to lose in the end.
- TBH the best hope for Vegeta here is to try to get Jiren to kill him so he gets disqualifiied. But he probably wouldn't do that on purpose.
- Vegeta trying to take off Jiren's arm reminded me of what Garou tried to do to Saitama in the OPM webcomic... although I still like my parody idea of homaging that fight with Monaka as Saitama and Jiren as Garou
- So what are those purple and blue lights off the distance? There are no stars in this place. Maybe they're ki blasts that were fired earlier in the tournament and are still flying away...
- I guess this is the part that Hiromi Tsuru recorded before her death
- Maybe the idea of fighting to protect something does resonate with Jiren, judging by his reaction there...
- Is this the first time we've ever seen Final Flash used in base form?
- Also is this the first time Vegeta has cried since Namek?
- I suppose Jiren could have intercepted that and stopped Goku from getting it but he probably is still hoping for a good fight with him so he wants him to have every powerup he can get
- So Vegeta didn't have enough ki left to go past base, and Goku couldn't even stand up, yet after getting the crap beat out of him, Vegeta's remaining ki is enough to let Goku reach SSJB?
- I kind of like the reprise of the original DBS opening theme here
- It seems like they're padding out the episode here with the dramatic stare off sequence... but then that's hardly anything new
- Well it could also be Freeza, they seem to be trying to make us forget he's still in it

Decent episode despite the typical inconsistencies
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:40 am

Aha, I did predict the scene!

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I'm starting to see a trend that every episode of the Jiren fight has someone savagely insult him, it's hilarious. The beating was brutal and quite the punch to the 'Yikes!', though also had the unintentional comedy of "I'm gonna-" "Nope" "Back up-" "Nope" "FINAL FL-" "Bitch, just stay down!". It really did feel like Vegeta was struggling to stand against an overwhelming force, balancing on his last leg. Reminded me of Gohan getting death beamed by Frieza, except more painful. As we get closer to Super's final, these episodes just keep getting better and better.

Of course, everything is always overshadowed by the arrival of UI, can't wait to see it back in action in... Ah, shit, TWO WEEKS!

Also, Goku added Frieza as his 'Loved ones' fuel? "I must fight on... FOR FRIEZA-SENPAAAAAAI!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am

Dave2770 wrote:Seriously everyone here is a crybaby.

Every episode that airs more than half of you complain instead of being grateful for the show. Things like animation sucks or other stuff sucks. Can you guys be grateful and pick what's good about the show otherwise don't watch it. Stop finding problems with it otherwise I make your own version. They're doing a great job it's only you so caed experts that can't see that I
So we're not allowed to have opinions? The show should be exempt from criticism and not be called out for it's flaws? We all should just shut up and get one with it. Is that what you are saying?

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 am

This episode was good because vegeta got knocked the fuck out and that's what I like.

Disliked the repeated Jiren punches against both Goku and Vegeta this episode though. But next episode looks fucking amazing.

My theory is that Goku and Jiren will both knock themselves out and Frieza makes U7 win

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 am

Amir wrote:
amuroray wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:What was the purpose of this episode? What was its usefulness in the plot?

Goku awaken the UI? Well, he could do it on EP 129 himself.

Half of the EP was Vegeta being beaten in base form. Jiren could have defeated him with a punch.

The flashbacks were not as motivational as they should be. This whole story of promise should have propelled him far more than what was shown.
It could just happen to the same thing that happened against Toppo.
Beerus did not tell Vegeta anything he had not said to all the U7 warriors.

Vegeta had a good participation in the tournament, but a pathetic and disappointing farewell
Inconsistency's mate. A tiny bit of energy from a depleted Vegeta turned goku ssjb. Dont expect anything from this show especially a good farewell to a character.

I'm legitimately surprised at how bad this show is.
Really? Can you really call it bad because of something like that? Vegeta giving Goku energy was really good since it showed he left everything for Goku, and who cares if that energy boosted him that much. It didn't matter in the end anyway because Jiren beat the Blue out of him in 10 seconds. It's like you missed the entire point of that scene and the narrative flow just to be bothered by some minor power level logic when it didn't even matter. That's a weak reason to call the show bad.
Thank you.

You said it much better then me

That's essentially what I was trying to say

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am

Kanassa wrote: Also, Goku added Frieza as his 'Loved ones' fuel? "I must fight on... FOR FRIEZA-SENPAAAAAAI!"
No, they were simply just showing the main fighters from universe 7, to show how universe 7 is putting all their trust In Goku, and how Goku will not let his universe get erased despite any odds against him. Son Goku rise !

As Kuririn said "We have to believe in Goku until the very end no matter what"
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 am

It wasn't the greatest episode or the worst,is just kinda boring.
    It had a weak direction, those punches lacked any impact and it was stiff in some areas.The last minute were decent but it wasn't enough to save this.As a user mentioned here,i do appreciate the effort of putting choreography in this episode instead of flurry punches.
      Vegeta did his best here, just wish they did something else for his sendoff other repeating the same speech again,at the very least he didn't damaged Jiren or even pull a SSB because now stamina is an issue :lolno: .
        UI Goku build up was neat, the payoff was a little dull and the way he punched Jiren was really funny.
        Mostly active on discord.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 am

Artorias wrote:I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people give credit to the ACTUAL CHOREOGRAPHY the fights in this episode had. The animation itself wasn't super impressive or anything, but I thought the bits of actual hand-to-hand combat were pretty well executed and made the fights feel more impactful than they have in recent episodes, despite the lacking direction in this episode. Gave me mad Rocky vibes.
        Now that I've rewatched the episode plenty of times, I have to agree even more with this

The fight choreography was sublime.

I've said it before, I love how Super will sometimes stay grounded in martial arts realism, and we see fights with real martial arts choreography etc.

I LOVED the fact characters were slipping punches and landing counter punches

It was western boxing. It was like Conor McGregor slipping and countering.

It really was a nice change of pace from the KI blast heavy episode of 127

They even had realistic punch placement. Jiren landed a body punch to Goku's liver. That's always damaging in a real fight

I also love how Omen Goku slipped to the inside of Jiren's punch and landed that beautiful counter hook to the body. That's a real boxing combination right there

Episode 128 truly was fantastic on every level. It was so emotional. It was epic. It had suspense. That music! It had everything while executing on everything with EMPH

Thank you Toriyama/Toei/Toshio.

128 will truly go down as one of my all time favorite episodes in Dragon Ball history. Episode 129 looks like it's going to be even better...

Toriyama/Toei are on a huge run right now, and I have full confidence will nail the ending. The legend of Son Goku will rise. Let's go Goku
        Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firebolt
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am

This episode was a mixed bag for me.

Good :
        - The choreography was absolutely stellar. Say what you want about Yamamuro, but his knowledge of martial arts made this episode very enjoyable, at least to my eyes.
        - Goku actually thinking about his friends for once. I was worried that the reason for Goku's third UI transformation would just be Jiren's massive energy, what a relief.
        Bad :
        - Toshio's writing was a bit underwhelming in my opinion.
        - Despite the excellent choreography that I mentioned earlier, Yamamuro's storyboard was disappointing. I was expecting something as desperate and hopeless as Goku fighting Freeza on Namek after using the Kaioken X20, but what we got in the episode was not even close. There was no tension whatsoever, it was just a countdown to Goku activating Ultra Instinct.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 am

Onibaku wrote:This episode was good because vegeta got knocked the fuck out and that's what I like.

Disliked the repeated Jiren punches against both Goku and Vegeta this episode though. But next episode looks fucking amazing.

My theory is that Goku and Jiren will both knock themselves out and Frieza makes U7 win
        A double elimination or Goku losing, are the absolute worst, least satisfying outcomes possible (based on polls and consensus etc)

-I think it will be Goku eliminating Jiren.

There's no way Jiren is more powerful then Goku's UI mastered form. There's no way Goku ultra instinct was built up this much and Goku surpassing his limits forshadowed this much, if Jiren was just going to ring Goku out.

-Possibly time running out and U7 winning on numbers

-Frieza intervention.

It's a huge toss up and wild card to speculate on how Frieza will intervene.

Will UI mastered Goku and Full power Jiren be engaged in a huge epic beam struggle, and Frieza distracts Jiren just long enough for Goku to gain the upper hand and blast Jiren out of the ring.

Will Goku eliminate Jiren and then when Frieza comes in to take Goku out, Goku simply rings Frieza out and stops Frieza's diabolical plan dead in its tracks lol.

I think either way IT will be a Goku win. Goku needs to win. Super is ending and Goku hasn't had 1 Sig win yet in Super. Goku winning is the best way they could end Super on the highest note possible

I just hope it's a straight up clean Goku win...and not U7 winning by default due to more numbers
        Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 am

Firebolt wrote:This episode was a mixed bag for me.

Good :
        - The choreography was absolutely stellar. Say what you want about Yamamuro, but his knowledge of martial arts made this episode very enjoyable, at least to my eyes.
        - Goku actually thinking about his friends for once. I was worried that the reason for Goku's third UI transformation would just be Jiren's massive energy, what a relief.
        Bad :
        - Despite the excellent choreography that I mentioned earlier, Yamamuro's storyboard was disappointing. I was expecting something as desperate and hopeless as Goku fighting Freeza on Namek after using the Kaioken X20, but what we got in the episode was not even close. There was no tension whatsoever, it was just a countdown to Goku activating Ultra Instinct.
        Woah, Yamamuro has experience with MMA? That's really freaking cool if so. I never knew that

Firebolt
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
        Firebolt wrote:This episode was a mixed bag for me.

Good :
        Bad :
        Woah, Yamamuro has experience with MMA? That's really freaking cool if so. I never knew that
        Yeah, he studied at a Shaolin temple before he became an animator. As you said it's really cool!
        Last edited by Firebolt on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
        I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 am

I liked this episode. A nice emotional sendoff for Vegeta.

Beerus in particular seems very proud of Vegeta, being more proud of him than any other member of his Universe's team. Well, besides Goku of course. It's a great bit of development from when he used to think of the prince as nothing but a snivelling Saiyan servant.

percula

Post by percula » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 am

The first half made me tear up - I can't help but love Vegeta's relationship with Cabba, and then seeing those flashbacks of his family and hearing Tsuru's voice... It was beautiful and heartbreaking. Bulma lives on, but for this to be (probably) the last time we hear her original voice is heavy.
        There wasn't much for Vegeta left to do, but it seemed a bit fast for him to drop out mid-episode. I'm glad he did everything he could, stayed on the stage so long, and put his last hope in Goku & gave him energy without any immature frustration - just with some bitterness about his loss. It felt natural. Goku's line "I hear you loud and clear" was sweet too.
        I hoped for a long time that I would start to really like Jiren, but at this point, at least in the anime, I just want him thrown out :lol:
        Goku's transformation at the end wasn't that impressive; for some reason I thought it would happen in a more interesting way than him thinking about his team, but I did like how even Freeza was among them.
        Well, next episode surely looks to be much more exciting with him mastering UI completely - seeing the form in motion in the NEP makes it look better than in the picture from yesterday. Can't wait.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 am

I've been watching reaction videos to episode 128 for a good while now lol

People were crying. Goku's moment too

So many people were freaking out and losing their minds when Goku went Omen

I can only imagine the hype when Goku transforms into mastered UI. People will be legit having having heart attacks of pure excitement and brain aneurisms of hype lol

And people were losing their minds with hype and going even crazier when Omen Goku landed that devastating body counter on Jiren and we saw Jiren was in legit pain for the first time ever.

When you only frequent one place or consider yourself an elitest, its easy to stay in little bubble and never understand just how beloved Super/Goku is. You wont realize the impact and reach Super has had (especially these last couple episodes) until you watch reaction videos

Or if you watch with friends like a lot do

Look at this comment from a video about Goku's motivational break through moment/Omen transformation

Over 600 likes.

If you read the rest of the comments. You see many other comments along the lines of "I cried when Goku thought about every one counting on him and refusing to let them down - and that piano playing/the music"

I think some people kind of close themselfes off, or just naturally dont generally feel emotion. There are people out there like that, and so these scenes don't touch them

But if you watch reaction videos to Super episodes 127 and 128, you will see how heavily it touches the average person and how many people have out right cried over 127 and 128
        Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spider-Man
        Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 am

Positive
          -Vegeta calling Jiren an emotionless bastard was pretty hilarious.
            -Vegeta giving energy to Goku was nice.
              -Goku obtain UI was handled very well in this episode.
                Negative
                  -Vegeta did yet another speech about his family and wish again :yawn:
                    -The first half was a wasted of time it was really weak with the fight.
                      This was a boring episode,It had a weak direction and Vegeta character in this arc is really mediocre.
                      Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am

Man. Just think if every elimination was a death? Even if nothing in the writing changed it makes them more impactful. Like every time Beerus congratulates someone he's honoring them because they died. Blood might've been able to be show to show how beat up they were. But that's besides the point.

I even think it makes vegetas first ko from jiren mean more because we're under the assumptions he's fucking DEAD! Seriously it feels like at some point that someone should have asked, "Hey Toriyama and Toyototoro-senpai's why is killing not allowed in a tournament where when you lose you die?" i didn't mind it nor even think about until Jiren first pushed vegeta's shit in.

Why are ring out's a thing if no one important gets rung out? Why not have it be some big fucking rocky/woodsy area? On a map the size of a galaxy or some shit!? I don't know? The angels can do just about everything else except... I... What can't those fuckers do?

Roshi's sacrifice fucking means something because he's letting the fight go and leaving it to everyone else. AND ISN'T SEEN AGAIN! Cuz he's dead.

Vegeta's elimination means more because he actually died and the last thing he knows is jiren is jumping rope with goku's body. And Beerus finnaly respect's him as he dies!!!

Cabba dying and makes Caulifla seem more just because she's the best fighter U6 has left. Even the Saonel and purina fight is better because it's a battle to beat their regeneration to contrast goku overpowering a Black Hole! Even makes the Ui transformation mean more because there were no if and's, or but's about it. Goku died and rose like Jesus! Hell Freeza elimating Frost is Freeza killing him because he's more of a liability than a useful tool.

Toppo means more because he gave up his soul basically to become a god to die another god who got there through hard work and something to fight for.

Even makes Jiren's make more sense because he's trying to avoid killing them cuz dey weak az PHOC. Complex or not he's still a good guy and doesn't want to do it.

Instead of ringing themselves out, how about they surrender. SAME FUCKING CONCEPT. Nothing Narratively change's except hit but you can just have Jiren kill him raising the stake because Hit was without a doubt going all out and even makes why Jiren didn't flinch with Hit like goku and Kale more poignant because "OF FUCKING COURSE HE HATES ASSASSIN'S" It explains itself! and there's no need for all that holding back shit because we know as long as goku or vegeta is in base or ssj that dude is holding back. But because this tournament doesn't want to kill in a show where a lot of people die and get wished back anyway BECAUSE THERE ARE LITERALLY FOUR SET'S OF MCGUFFIN'S IN THE FRANCHISE!!!

Gohan kills a guy solidifying how focused he is and he has that "oh shit! I just killed a guy who wasn't really bad guy and had a family like me and oh shit i just killed them too!?" moment.

How about Kale and Caulifla? It makes it more impactful because the fusion was to save their lives not avoid a ring out, gives her a clock to fight against, makes her fuck you beam's more deadly because THEY WILL KILL YOU and makes Goku killing their monkey asses even more messed up because in one move goku kills two kids, killed the last full blooded saiyans they know, showed that Ultra Instinct does NOT fuck around (further selling the form..) and rounds Caulifla's "powerful but green as goose shit, learns and adapts only to lose in the end", storyline, futher echoing the goku/Jiren rivalry. Only with goku as Jiren and Cauli as Goku. And all while looking crispy as hell? Damn.

Toppo kills Freeza. Yyyyeahh. About as close to berserk the series will ever get.

Reiterating an earlier point: of COURSE Goku is holding back! He ain't killing no one willy-nilly. Except u9, cuz they some hoes.

Structure wise things make more sense because in every other universe's eyes, when Goku and Vegeta eliminated u9 it put a target on their backs following up on Goku calling out the universe's and the God's, and it allows u11 to lay low because of it. Setting up what would be a swan song told through different challenges that our cast has to face that only they can handle but aren't necessarily strong enough to handle. Case and point, Roshi.

Frost kills krillin because irony and homages an shit.

Freeza kills Cabba, because of course.

17's death makes more sense because Jiren is trying to kill them.

Jiren is even more of a dick because Toppo died.

Freeza kills Gohan and dyspo rounding out their subplot. Cuz freeza's still bitter about fusion reborn. Shut ahp! i know it ain't canon.

Seriously. How many moments mean more if one damn rule changed!? FUCK!!!

Also. FUCK the 48 minutes thing. Have it be 3 days or some shit. DB has done a LOT more with less. Oh hi Boo!

Loved the episode though. NEP looks insane!

ZenkaiBoosts
                      Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am

I have a question. What does NEP exactly stand for?

Boku no Hitto

Post by Boku no Hitto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 am

Next episode preview