Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:30 am

I liked how 17 was the winner and how he was portrayed, it makes his evolution into Super 17 all the more tragic and the conclusion of that arc more emotional, knowing he left behind a family.

What I didn't like was Vegeta at the end once again going "I'm gonna surpass you" again. It's a huge contradiction to the end of the Majin Buu saga in which he recognizes Goku as number one and nicely concludes his character arc in Z. It's basically a reset button to Cell saga Vegeta, the worst incarnation of the character.

Husig

Post by Husig » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:37 am

Jord wrote:I liked how 17 was the winner and how he was portrayed, it makes his evolution into Super 17 all the more tragic and the conclusion of that arc more emotional, knowing he left behind a family.

What I didn't like was Vegeta at the end once again going "I'm gonna surpass you" again. It's a huge contradiction to the end of the Majin Buu saga in which he recognizes Goku as number one and nicely concludes his character arc in Z. It's basically a reset button to Cell saga Vegeta, the worst incarnation of the character.
GT is not canon.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:42 am

Jord wrote: What I didn't like was Vegeta at the end once again going "I'm gonna surpass you" again. It's a huge contradiction to the end of the Majin Buu saga in which he recognizes Goku as number one and nicely concludes his character arc in Z. It's basically a reset button to Cell saga Vegeta, the worst incarnation of the character.
How is it a contradiction NOW, when he's been doing that since the beginning of Super?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Jord wrote: What I didn't like was Vegeta at the end once again going "I'm gonna surpass you" again. It's a huge contradiction to the end of the Majin Buu saga in which he recognizes Goku as number one and nicely concludes his character arc in Z. It's basically a reset button to Cell saga Vegeta, the worst incarnation of the character.
How is it a contradiction NOW, when he's been doing that since the beginning of Super?
Vegeta recognized Goku as the superior fighter in the buu arc, he never gave up on surpassing him.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:15 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Crowd reacting to the last episode of Dragon Ball Super, in Macapá (Brazil)

I think that was the biggest I ever seen, the episode starts at 4:33
Have to say, judging by the countless 'reaction' videos on Youtube, 131 was a resounding success!

I mean, I've watched some of those reaction videos - seems to be a common theme where the viewers can barely contain themeslves when the Goku/Frieza/17 vs Jiren fight starts. And honestly, in each and every one of them the viewer(s) loses their shit when Goku throws Freeza and Jiren, and when Goku, phasing in and out of Super Saiyan, charges Jiren.
Honestly? I don't blame them.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 am

Husig wrote:
Jord wrote:I liked how 17 was the winner and how he was portrayed, it makes his evolution into Super 17 all the more tragic and the conclusion of that arc more emotional, knowing he left behind a family.

GT is not canon.
And canon is a terrible word that should be banned from DB fandom in general. It brings nothing to the discussion and has been overused to death and beyond.

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 am

Has anyone ever mastered a technique by accident ?
LOL.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:11 am

Husig wrote:

GT is not canon.
I don't care if it's "canon" or not. I enjoy it and to me it works a lot better than a shoehorned in-series where there is never a sense of danger since the end result is already known. (see the end of Z's episodes)

The great thing about long series like these is that you can watch what you want and like it. If you dislike GT, don't watch it and enjoy the DB-DBZ storyline. If you like GT but dislike Super just watch DB-Z-GT. You don't need someone else's validation to enjoy the series the way you want to. Hell, if you want you could skip all episodes with Piccolo in them for all I care. If you enjoy a Picccolo-less series, then that's great.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 am

gammabeast21 wrote: -Ending the series with Goku and Vegeta was ridiculously fanservicesy and unrelated to the arc that ended by highlighting the wildcards #17 and Freeza yet the last panel is Goku and Vegeta show.
Judging from your avatar, you wanted #17 to become the main star of the show or what's your problem at all?

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 am

Jord wrote:
Husig wrote:

GT is not canon.
I don't care if it's "canon" or not. I enjoy it and to me it works a lot better than a shoehorned in-series where there is never a sense of danger since the end result is already known. (see the end of Z's episodes)

The great thing about long series like these is that you can watch what you want and like it. If you dislike GT, don't watch it and enjoy the DB-DBZ storyline. If you like GT but dislike Super just watch DB-Z-GT. You don't need someone else's validation to enjoy the series the way you want to. Hell, if you want you could skip all episodes with Piccolo in them for all I care. If you enjoy a Picccolo-less series, then that's great.
Canon matters in moments like this when you say that 17's Evolution into Super 17 is tragic, because, well, they're two different 17s. Nobody is saying that non canon means not fun, or entertaining. But if you talk about Super, then ignore GT, if you talk about GT ignore Super. You can't say that the same 17 that won the ToP is the one who became Super 17. It's either one or the other.
Get Fucked, C_unt

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 am

With the reveal that Zeno expected the winner to wish everyone back, I think the claim that he thought there were too many universes was part of the kayfabe. We never actually see him come to that decision in the anime, only hear about it in the Zen Exhibition. It also handily explains why the universes were still there in the future timeline and clears up any lingering shadow of culpability for Goku. We'll see what Toyotaro does with his Zenos since they're using different reasoning.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Jord wrote:
Husig wrote:
GT is not canon.

Canon matters in moments like this when you say that 17's Evolution into Super 17 is tragic, because, well, they're two different 17s. Nobody is saying that non canon means not fun, or entertaining. But if you talk about Super, then ignore GT, if you talk about GT ignore Super. You can't say that the same 17 that won the ToP is the one who became Super 17. It's either one or the other.
Actually, they're both the same 17. The cyborg created by Gero. You can easily see that for yourself by looking at the conversations he has with 18 in Z, Super and GT. The fact that he got more backstory and wears a different shirt may seem confusing but there's no conflict in the story line that contradicts this. Yes, he may seem like a good person now but let's not forget that Myuu and Gero synched up Hell's version of 17 with the regular version of 17, the one we see in Z and Super, and messed him up. If there's one thing that Super did right, it's improving this short GT saga.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:22 am

Jord wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Jord wrote:

Actually, they're both the same 17. The cyborg created by Gero. You can easily see that for yourself by looking at the conversations he has with 18 in Z, Super and GT. The fact that he got more backstory and wears a different shirt may seem confusing but there's no conflict in the story line that contradicts this. Yes, he may seem like a good person now but let's not forget that Myuu and Gero synched up Hell's version of 17 with the regular version of 17, the one we see in Z and Super, and messed him up. If there's one thing that Super did right, it's improving this short GT saga.
You people who try to synch up Super and GT make me facepalm so damn hard... Explain this to me than since it's so "obvious" to you how the two series are connected... Enlighten me
1) Where have Beerus and Whis gone to?
2) What happened to SS God, SS Blue, SS Blue Evolution?
3) Why did Kibito and Shin fuse again?
4) Why is Frieza back in hell?
5) Why is hell different than what we saw in Super?
6) Why did the Pilaf Gang gi from beign kids to beign old as fuck in the span of a couple of years?
That's right, you can't explain this. GT =/= Super. Deal with it. Nobody is saying that GT is trash, but it's a different continuation, and whoever says otherwise is just delusional
Get Fucked, C_unt

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Episode 131 Alternate Ending

SonReggie wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Crowd reacting to the last episode of Dragon Ball Super, in Macapá (Brazil) I think that was the biggest I ever seen, the episode starts at 4:33
Have to say, judging by the countless 'reaction' videos on Youtube, 131 was a resounding success!

I mean, I've watched some of those reaction videos - seems to be a common theme where the viewers can barely contain themeslves when the Goku/Frieza/17 vs Jiren fight starts. And honestly, in each and every one of them the viewer(s) loses their shit when Goku throws Freeza and Jiren, and when Goku, phasing in and out of Super Saiyan, charges Jiren.
Honestly? I don't blame them.
Exactly! You can see in this video how the crowd was cheering for #17, Goku and even Freeza! That was awesome.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Holy shit - that was amazing.

"WAAAAAAAAAAH - FRIEZA! FRIEZA! FRIEZA! FRIEZA!"

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

This arc finale & ending could have been better thought out and less genre-cliched. Even if using what was given.

I honestly think that Gohan should have been in that role over 17. Yes it makes sense that he cares about the well-being of innocent existence now, but it would have fit more if Gohan survived until the end with Goku, and he made the wish to bring everyone back. As much as I have mixed feelings on that (and completely loathe their reasoning for it), if Gohan did it to emphasize he is a very family conscious character now, (as his development in Super has been pretty respectably done with and his fight with that character when he found the locket) it would have been far more impactful for him to do so because of that. Not because its just "the right thing to do" in some confusingly contrived logic they gave. "Zeno was just testing you the whole time! *wink* *wink* I thought was incredibly stupid.

It just would have made sense for it to be "right" if Gohan did it out of respect he earned as a character to Zeno not only being the son of his friend, but influencing Zeno in a more believable way and not have to force this "friendship" theme so overtly. It would still have resonated with Jiren because he was bitter for losing his own. Family > The hammered Cliche of Friendship nonsense. Goku isn't even a good example for the friendship thing because hes a selfish character, most so in Super. Hes not even friends with Freeza, he just circumstantially tolerates him, and 17 saying he trusts Freeza? He literally just met him.... he didnt even interact with Goku like that. A guy he actually does somewhat trust according to the Buu ending. Smh.

This ending as it was presented was just a bit artificial for me.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Goku/Freeza team-up was like fanboy fantasm. :lol:
I'm going to repeat myself but it's a shame the arc as a whole sucked. But I'm happy with last two episodes, many great moments in 131 too. :)

Say what you want about Super, my Sundays are going to feel empty now.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Like I said in other thread: we could have this tournament without time limit and things would go the same way... I mean for what purpose did this time limit served if wasn't used for tension build? Like the Grand Priest making the final countdown or something?

In the end it was just pointless.
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Doctor.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Jord wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Canon matters in moments like this when you say that 17's Evolution into Super 17 is tragic, because, well, they're two different 17s. Nobody is saying that non canon means not fun, or entertaining. But if you talk about Super, then ignore GT, if you talk about GT ignore Super. You can't say that the same 17 that won the ToP is the one who became Super 17. It's either one or the other.
You people who try to synch up Super and GT make me facepalm so damn hard... Explain this to me than since it's so "obvious" to you how the two series are connected... Enlighten me
1) Where have Beerus and Whis gone to?
2) What happened to SS God, SS Blue, SS Blue Evolution?
3) Why did Kibito and Shin fuse again?
4) Why is Frieza back in hell?
5) Why is hell different than what we saw in Super?
6) Why did the Pilaf Gang gi from beign kids to beign old as fuck in the span of a couple of years?
That's right, you can't explain this. GT =/= Super. Deal with it. Nobody is saying that GT is trash, but it's a different continuation, and whoever says otherwise is just delusional
Well to be honest, the End of Z has the same issues, and that's supposed to be 'canon'. Doesn't exactly match up though. Why doesn't Goku know SSJ Blue? Does this make Uub have the potential to be more powerful than Jiren since Goku is so interested in him? Where is Beerus and Whis? The ending of Super creates a big problem with both EoZ (which is canon) and GT (which is not but fits better with EoZ than Super does)

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:27 pm

gofishus wrote:Well to be honest, the End of Z has the same issues, and that's supposed to be 'canon'. Doesn't exactly match up though. Why doesn't Goku know SSJ Blue? Does this make Uub have the potential to be more powerful than Jiren since Goku is so interested in him? Where is Beerus and Whis? The ending of Super creates a big problem with both EoZ (which is canon) and GT (which is not but fits better with EoZ than Super does)
You're pushing it: Is not that Goku didn't know SSJB, he didn't use any transformation at all in EoZ, he still could be able to use it. Freeza who never trained was able to get a huge power jump, the same could be applied to Oob with proper training. Beerus could be sleeping for a brief period or for years and Whis has to take care of him.
GT fits better after EoZ, but it's not like it's impossible to fit Super on EoZ.

by Doctor.