"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:27 am

I have the raw loading screens from the main game & the first DLC. Has anyone posted the ones from the Res F, History of Trunks, & Bardock DLCs anywhere that I can download them from?

Also, finished to the end of the Bardock DLC finally after replaying the main game & first 3 DLCs. Full thoughts.

The main game is still good, if a bit easy on the normal difficulty. The moments where CC2 show they care about DB stand out very well, though the lack of the Vegeta & Trunks VS Cell moments during the Android arc are really missed. I genuinely have no idea how they gave so much love to the best moments of the other 3 arcs of Z, but completely cut those. And yet they felt the need to force in a fight of Goku VS second form Cell where it wasn't needed or wanted. Not even adding them in the patch that added the Trunks DLC, which would've been the time & place to add them. Though, I HATE how they rewrote Goku's farewell speech to his friends & family at the end of that arc. That went too much into the territory of "Goku doesn't love his friends or family." Granted, the original version of the scene wasn't great because it runs on bad logic & Goku comes off as an idiot, but that was a side effect of what Toriyama was trying to do for the ending of the arc as opposed to something he was intending. Especially when CC2 went out of their way to show Gohan & Goku having a good relationship & had Goku & Chichi having some nice moments earlier in the game, including that same arc.
A lot of everything else, though, I liked & consider really good. Best DB game that retells the story of the manga & anime? Probably not, but I enjoyed it.

Battle of Gods DLC: A bit of a letdown. I was looking forward to a full adaptation of the movie, but the DLC is nothing but a glorified way to get forms early if you go into it after starting the game, as well as get items for power leveling the characters to 250. Admittedly, it's not hard to grind these things, just time consuming & a bit mind numbing when you figure out the best skills to use on Whis to defeat him on the highest-level training mission. The training with Whis is ok, if repetitive after a while, & the fights with Beerus are ok as a superboss. It also showed Vegeta getting the SS God transformation, which neither Res F or Super bothered to show or explain.

Resurrection F DLC: I liked it ok. The movie was not that great & neither was the arc from Super that adapted it. A nice touch was that in this continuity, the story happens a little while after the defeat of Kid Buu rather than like 5 years or so. As you go through the main game, you wish on Shenron to summon back to life the enemies of the arcs of the series, so Frieza went off into space & trained to get his golden form & the Ginyu Force went with him. So, when he comes back to Earth, rather than having Tagoma & crew, he has the Ginyu Force, which I liked. Gohan's also been training with Piccolo, which was good. Also showed how Goku & Vegeta actually attained the SSGSS form, which was good.

Trunks - The Warrior of Hope DLC: My favorite of the DLCs thus far. Though I don't know why Alexis Tipston voiced preteen Trunks (the explanation of Eric Vale not sounding young enough doesn't work when not only has he played Trunks at that age in other media before this game, but also a year later would voice present Trunks in Super Hero alongside Goten being voiced by Robert McCollum, so... :think:), but she's not bad in the role. The retelling of the story was really good, though the first part may be a little too dragged out with the apocalypse future stuff. The additional stuff that adapts stuff first explored in the flashbacks of Super, moreso in the manga than the anime, was also very damn good & I loved it. I also love how the new skills they gave Trunks in the DLC transfer to the main game. It's a damn shame you don't play as Trunks much in it like I mentioned up top, or else that'd be more worth it.
Also, it needs better ways to get orbs, as I couldn't unlock all of the skills & don't feel like going through it again.

Bardock - Alone Against Fate DLC: I liked it. It didn't blow me away like the Trunks DLC did, but it was good. A pretty by-the-numbers retelling of the anime's TV special with some stuff tacked on to the beginning before Bardock & his crew being on that alien planet at the beginning of the special. Sonny Strait's performance as Bardock felt inconsistent, where he doesn't put as much gravel in it as he should in places for some reason, so the voice sounds off in those moments. I'll say, I applaud the decision to use OG Bardock as opposed to the Minus version. OG Bardock is much more interesting & compelling, not to mention his design is much better. Kinda surprised they didn't try to do a hybrid approach where they fuse elements of both into a composite version of the character, but I'm fine with what they did. I will say, not reverting his friends' names back to the original Japanese ones was a missed opportunity. When we live in a time where current dubs of the various games & new anime materials are working to fix past dub mistakes (Tapion's name being pronounced as it is in the Japanese version rather than Wrath of the Dragon's dub in XV2, Kaioken being pronounced right in Kai onwards, & them finally acknowledging Goku's full name of Son Goku in English, for instance) & the like, I don't understand this at all. They had an opportunity here, but didn't take it. The kid Vegeta stuff was also ok, if really short & kinda meaningless.
But, yeah, very good retelling of the special's story with some great animation work on the pre-rendered cutscenes. I'll say, the choice to use still frames from the special rather than render them in the game's graphics engine was weird. Also, Justin Briner is phenomenal as kid Vegeta. He has the accent & cadence down pat so well that it genuinely feels like Sabat's talking for him. Outstanding voice acting there from him.
Also, needs better ways to get D Medals. I still have skills to unlock at the training grounds, but not a lot of Medals to use for that.

1 thing I also wish the last 2 DLCs allowed was in the post game when you've completed their stories, I wish it would carry over items & shit from the main game like the first 2 DLCs did. They allow you to carry over the soul emblems, so I don't see why not. The way to get the waters in the Bardock DLC isn't really worth it to me, as it takes too long for mediocre amounts of the rewards & I have a LOT of them from training with Whis in the main game.

The 9th gen console version of the game also could've used some more TLC. I've said here before that the pre-rendered cutscenes are where this is felt the most. Not the ones that use the higher quality models, animations, & whatnot, those are fine, if a bit low res. The ones that were rendered in-engine should've either been converted to in-engine cutscenes, or re-rendered with higher quality assets. They look like shit & are aliased to fuck when watched between gameplay sections where those aren't issues. I have no idea why they went through the trouble of redoing or adding to the lighting, assets, & other things for the gameplay & in-engine cutscenes, but didn't feel the need to redo those. They stick out like sore thumbs is the point. Love the 60FPS performance mode, though. The smoothness of the gameplay is great.

That's about it. I can't wait for the 23rd World Tournament DLC whenever they drop it later this year.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:34 am

I wonder what is going on with the latest DLC. No news, no announcement date, nothing.
It was teased all the way back in January and almost half a year later, nothing.
Screenshots and article was already shown in V-Jump past month and I've got my hopes up to play it before summer holidays,
but total silence!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:23 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:34 am I wonder what is going on with the latest DLC. No news, no announcement date, nothing.
It was teased all the way back in January and almost half a year later, nothing.
Screenshots and article was already shown in V-Jump past month and I've got my hopes up to play it before summer holidays,
but total silence!
I think there's a Bandai Namco thing the first day of July, they'll probably announce a date there and maybe even Tenkaichi news or something

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:24 pm

So probably the next DLC wil be about Future Trunks arc, right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:25 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:24 pm So probably the next DLC wil be about Future Trunks arc, right?
The next DLC's gonna adapt the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai from the end of the original DB anime. After that, they haven't announced the next one yet.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:01 pm

I'm both glad and suprised they haven't done Fusion reborn or Broly yet for the game. Those would have been easy additions.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Fusion Reborn would be fun to see since they can took some creative liberties with the story like other DBZ games did. Cell shows up in other Fusion Reborn retellings in other DBZ video games. It would be fun to see Gohan fight against both Freeza and Cell in the game.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

gokugambitoptimus
Beyond Newbie

Post by gokugambitoptimus » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:21 pm

For what I see, the next DLC will be the End of Z arc

Of course, this is a rumour and should be taken with a grain of salt

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:14 am

I am also opting for the End of Z arc and this is deduction based on what we've got...

BOG and ROF segments are basically adapting the Z movies, but with the Kakarot twist, as BOG is pretty much just barebones and friendly interaction with Beerus, without danger to the earth from the movie and ROF is already working with Freeza being ressurected through your wish in-game...

History of Trunks and Bardock, classic TV specials with Buu arc bonus for Trunks (easy cheesy, Z Trunks not the Super one, like they did in FighterZ).

And now, 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai where we will explore the rivalry of Goku and Piccolo from original DB, which is heavily hinted on throughout the Z anime and by the game of course.

This makes the logic conclusion for last DLC to be 25th Tenkaiichi Budokai and Uub, to basically end the Z story.
Fans want movies adapted or Super, but unless we are getting load of new DLCs, this probably won't happen.
The movies won't be nothing more than just a boss fight, similar to the A New Power Awakens DLCs and they will have to pick one movie, or two (Broly comes to mind) that would make it just more leveling and fighting overhyped big Super Saiyan.
Super doesn't make sense, as we will have to get all the missing 3 arcs... while I agree, they could have adapt and make spin on the Future Trunks arc, as it again includes Trunks, the main duo and enemies require basically three new models for Black, Zamasu and Fused Zamasu, I don't see a reason for the standalone story being tossed in like that.

End Of Z makes a huge sense, because for a recap:
Two Z movies adapting the back then new forms and being sequel to Majin Boo arc (and mostly, recycling character models easily).
Two TV Specials from Z anime exploring Goku's father before the story and Trunks' future.
Beginning with the 23rd Budokai and adult Goku forming a relationship with Piccolo and ending with 25th Budokai with Goku moving on and taking his own student.

It rhymes, kinda.
Also, my personal wish is to expand on the epilogue and get some world exploring, dialogues with characters after the years, few missions, trainings and fights or start with Uub at the tournament and then do some few missions and fights with him post game ala Neko Majin.
It would be more interesting IMHO, because I am kinda tired seeing Goku in the same gi and basically the same time frame, as is Vegeta and others, stuck in Buu arc freeze frame and getting hair recolors.
Super Hero didn't change much in regard of hair recolors and insane out of the butt power ups, but I did like the design and time progression closer to the EOZ.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:14 am

I'd personally like if, after the next 2 DLCs are out, CC2 were to do a game based on Super's arcs. It'd be really cool since we haven't gotten a lot of games focused on Super yet. Best we have is Xenoverse 2 adapting the arcs & adding the various characters to the roster. I'd like to see what they could do with it.
A system where the came can import your save data from this game for character levels & abilities would also be cool.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:44 pm

First 23rd WT, now End of Z! I'm so excited.

I know this a dream but I really wanna be able to play as End of Z Goten and Pan

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:56 pm

They can connect the super hero movie to the end of Z and add the new transformations. Ultra Instinct Goku etc.
In the next season pack, they can put the broly and super hero movie with a third original story.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:22 pm

I'd love to have more of OG DB and DBGT stuff. Those are the most interesting time periods gameplay wise, imo. They are "adventure centered" and more characters are important to the story (OG DB - imagine playing as Kuririn, some science sequences as Bulma or even as Piccolo Daimao to push story forward, or DBGT - exploring different planets as Trunks and/or Pan with some hacking sequences with Giru or even playing as Baby infecting Earhtlings, beating Z-Fighters using infected Z-Figthers, etc).

We've already got the DLC about Bardock and we play as the bad guy there, so playing as Piccolo Daimao or Baby would be cool and it would be a nice change.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:01 pm

The epilogue seems like a very likely candidate for the final DLC, for the reasons already listed by others if we take a look at what's been released so far.

What I'm wondering is what they'll choose to include for the elements revealed beyond the original anime/manga, namely everything from Battle of Gods and all the following Super arcs.

Of course, they could just do what they did with Bardack and simply ignore what was not part of the original Z version of things, as it is the main focus of the game to go back to the Z era and how things were presented back then.
But it might be a bit trickier for them to completely ignore the Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' events since they are more or less included in the game as DLC now, so they might have to acknowledge the events in some way.

I mean, if Goku mentions that there's the powerful reincarnation of Boo at the tournament as if it was still their goal to be as strong as this enemy someday, Vegeta would have all rights to say "So what about it? We have bigger fishes to worry about, don't you think? He's nothing compared to Beerus, Golden Freeza or even us since we can now turn into Gods whenever we want."

So it'll be interesting to see what exactly they choose to acknowledge or ignore when it comes to Super.
They could include some bits that belong to Super even if it's not explored in the game (such as Oob having divine energy), or only include bits that are included in the game with the previous DLC packs, or simply not mind and completely ignore everything Super-related to focus on how things were presented back then in the 90s without any fuss.

Any of those three possibilities will be interesting to discover anyway.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:47 am

I think it will be 90s edition of EoZ without referencing the DBS stuff. It would be surprising if a game decided to try and connect it before the manga/anime even reach that point.

We'll most likely get some additional stories about Uub living in his village, Pan training with Goku and stuff like that, with the Tournament being at the end.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:34 am

Honestly, I'm actually pretty excited about Kakarot hitting the Peaceful World mini-arc (EoZ). After such a long time, I wasn't sure if they'd ever bother.

All of that being said, maybe Kakarot will expand on it a bit? You know, maybe give us a couple days/weeks of prior training and little adventures before the 28th WMAT.

Maybe we can get more info on Uub and Pan, and how exactly Goten and Trunks have been spending their time? I know it's a total long shot, but I wonder if we might actually get more information on (or even actually SEE) Goten's girlfriend who Goku made him cancel his date with.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:14 pm

Really curious if they will show how the tournament went down after Goku leaves. It isn't the most exciting thing on the world (and I don't get why they made the BoG/RoF dlcs in the first place) but I was always curious.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:59 am

While I agree that Super kinda complicates things in case of expanding the EOZ, I think that small kid with power of Kid Buu is still impressive, even with the likes of Jiren or Broly.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:48 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:59 am While I agree that Super kinda complicates things in case of expanding the EOZ, I think that small kid with power of Kid Buu is still impressive, even with the likes of Jiren or Broly.
Super mad Uub more impressive. If Friend being born at 120m has that much potential imagine someone born with Kid Buu's power and trace God ki being trained under Goku.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:04 am

And this is speculation, but I could see Kid Buu holding his own against Jiren. Still, Jiren is a beast, but Buu's power/stamina is unlimited and taking in account his magical cappabilities... you can probably only trick him into being off-guard and smash him with huge ki blast (like Genkidama) to get rid of him, plus being completely evil.

I think, Fat Buu has the same specs, tho modded with Grand Kaioshin, hence the reason for everyone wanting him to take part in Universe 6 Tournament and TOP. If he wasn't a gag character, he can definitely rival God tier opponents in friendly fights on paper.

But that's how I see it speculation wise and sorry for off topic :)