"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm

If they also fixed the looooong loading screens on next gen and the other two DLCs being a blast, this will probably be one of the games that I will get again/upgrade for PS5.

Kakarot with some of it's flaws, which for me are lazy designs for non major enemies and repetitive and lazy quests of basically searching for orbs that are avatars for various items, is for me the best Dragon Ball game next to FighterZ in the last era.

I would love to have a Tenkaichi Budokai mode in the game as well. The scripted enemy attacks that you have to evade being turned off and be more technical. Attacking, blocking and super attacks.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:00 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm If they also fixed the looooong loading screens on next gen and the other two DLCs being a blast, this will probably be one of the games that I will get again/upgrade for PS5.

Kakarot with some of it's flaws, which for me are lazy designs for non major enemies and repetitive and lazy quests of basically searching for orbs that are avatars for various items, is for me the best Dragon Ball game next to FighterZ in the last era.

I would love to have a Tenkaichi Budokai mode in the game as well. The scripted enemy attacks that you have to evade being turned off and be more technical. Attacking, blocking and super attacks.
Honestly, I'd like for them to add in the fights with Cell that Vegeta & Trunks had in that arc. I don't know why they didn't add them in originally.

The load times are most likely gonna be cut down significantly. Due to the SSDs in the newer consoles, I can't imagine they won't take advantage of them. Pretty much all games get that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:06 am

The loading times pretty much kill the will to explore the world in different eras, if only for the unique dialogues with NPCs. You wanna speed through the game as fast as possible.

I agree again, that the Cell arc was not handled well in the game. The bit of Trunks not knowing the limits of his form and Cell sparing him in the result and announcing the Cell games was a huge plot point.
I am also missing the EOZ a lot.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 am

Yeah, loading between areas is a pain in the ass. They could easily create a one, huge open world. Jumping from one area to another was one of the reasons why I dropped the game after Namek. It was fun running around the world, but after a while it gets boring because there's nothing to do there.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:56 am

They SHOULD take advantage of the SSDs, I'd think. At the very least the load times can't get WORSE. I mean, they're already better if you play the 8th gen version on a 9th gen console. I'm not a person where loading times really bug me if they're not overly long, so it doesn't bother me, but I get it for other people.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:10 am

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:06 am The loading times pretty much kill the will to explore the world in different eras, if only for the unique dialogues with NPCs. You wanna speed through the game as fast as possible.

I agree again, that the Cell arc was not handled well in the game. The bit of Trunks not knowing the limits of his form and Cell sparing him in the result and announcing the Cell games was a huge plot point.
I am also missing the EOZ a lot.
For me the worst part was how they did the Tenshinhan scene dirty

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:16 am

Trouser wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 amThey could easily create a one, huge open world.
I think that would've led to more concessions made and less varied environments to visit, as it tends to be too much of a production nightmare to make an entire open-world for a globetrotting adventure, especially under the budget and time given to an anime licensed title. That's why most open worlds tend to take place in large regions, whereas Kakarot is supposed to have characters going to spots located across the entire planet.

When tackling adventures on a global scale, it's more manageable for developers to go with multiple zones or classic JRPG overworlds to give an abstract sense of scale. This allows them to devote more time and resources to developing a larger variety of biomes/locations other assets that would've been more difficult to achieve were they to prioritize on making one single colossal map.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:25 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 am They could easily create a one, huge open world.
So, you're familiar with game design, then? And how to achieve this?

I found it unfun and tedious flying around the maps we had with barely anything interesting happening.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm

I rebought Kakarot during a steam sale.

I know that graphics/visuals aren't supposed to make/break a game, but the models really do bug the hell out of me. I don't know which is worse, the stiff, soulless looking way they just stand there during the in-game cutscenes, or the unappealing way the characters contort in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

https://youtu.be/UTtq1cLEdTU?t=582

I've never seen a character in dragon ball make the faces I'm seeing here and the way their bodies are moving remind me of the bad anatomy people were accusing Toyotaro of having a few years back

Another thing that bugs me is the way the world is textured. I guess it's not really an issue, though. I just wish Bandai could make them look a little more "cartoony" every once in a while .but that's a problem every anime game has. Except for the ones on mobile platforms of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daEzAvk ... l=PS360HD2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JvHZE ... annel=Soul

Kakarot's particle effects however.... are amazing :thumbup: those energy beams are the best to ever come out of a 3D DB game.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:07 am

I got used to Kakarot's models, but I am also missing the world to look more as watercolor paintings and less as generic 3D scape.
I guess that only time we got this look in 3D game was Ultimate Tenkaichi, except for the weird 3D movie Pixar fur on characters.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:28 am

I liked the game but haven't gone back since I completed it years ago. It was a fun romp but the fighting was so incredibly boring and repetitive in it. I hated it when generic enemy #4 approached me. Didn't help that enemy variety was very limited.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:23 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:07 am I got used to Kakarot's models, but I am also missing the world to look more as watercolor paintings and less as generic 3D scape.
I guess that only time we got this look in 3D game was Ultimate Tenkaichi, except for the weird 3D movie Pixar fur on characters.
My problem is when some of the models are off from how they should look. Goku & Goten's character models are the most off to me. It's mainly their hair in base form. I don't get it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:44 pm

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1610 ... stLvrPGuNQ

If the 23rd tournament of DB really is the next dlc in Kakarot, I'm happy.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 pm

DAYUUUMMMM... Dragonball content, I can't believe my eyes. Ma Jr., Shen, Teen Goku, Teen Krilin, Chichi... I had to doublecheck the calendar to see if it wasn't April' fools today.

The downside is that they will be fighting in the air, instead of fighting on the ground, on the TB arena. But hey, at least we'll get to play a tourney and actually use the arena. Can't wait for this, honestly.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:22 pm

Well, that would be unexpected!
It clearly gets out of Dragon Ball Z content, making it okay to go beyond Z content and tackle the original DB or even Super arcs.
So the argument that Super arcs can't be included because they're not Z-branded would be obsolete and Super arcs would be able to integrate Kakarot.

This 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai event would mean only one place basically (the arena and the rooms around) for all gameplay and all cutscenes. I guess that saves them from creating too many assets when they have only one place to create and make us play around it over and over again for 3 or 4 hours straight.

If such a "tournament-centered" arc can make it in, then I don't see why the U7 VS U6 arc wouldn't make it in as well, since it's the same principle of everything being a succession of fights and explanations in one specific place.
Making it okay for the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai to be a DLC is making it okay for the U7 VS U6 tournament to be a DLC.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:37 pm

Great news! It's something fresh that we all wanted :D

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:44 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:44 pm https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1610 ... stLvrPGuNQ

If the 23rd tournament of DB really is the next dlc in Kakarot, I'm happy.
Lets gooooooo

Dragon Ball recognition

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:12 pm

So after all, the Z on the name was not a dealbreaker when it comes to adding stories that didn't happen between Raditz and Buu. Not surprised, why would they be prisoners to a single letter, when there's so much more?

Now I can dream about Zamasu, the ToP, and Broly, and maybe SH, but most importantly, won't need to conform to the Z movies and only Z-related material. Goku raiding the RRA base would be fantastic, too.

For the 23rd TB DLC they would need to adapt the TB arena, right? have the old wall and the lower stands. Only Piccolo and Goku could fly, I wonder how they'll work that out. And I guess that later on they could just have the other tournaments by tweaking a couple of things.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:33 pm

Greatly hoping this will be the moment they add some kind of grounded combat to this game. That would improve it in my eyes so much.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:34 pm

Good shit.

Let's hope they don't cut any corners with this tournament. I need to give Robo Tao Pai Pai a good thrashing.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):