"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:26 am

A TB mode would be awesome, I'd like to have all the characters available to fight each other, I would be set even if it's just a basic fighting mode, nevermind the tourney approach. I'm not much of an RPG player, so I don't know if this is something that could be expected.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:02 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 am Cooler and Broly have portrait leaks if anyone wants to go see them.
Cooler's one of my faves, but it feels weird as DLC for this specific game. Like, for Trunks and Bardock we're either playing as a new character or continuing a previous one, but for this would we be just be playing a lesser version of the characters we're already playing?

And yeah, they gotta be Boss Episodes because neither movie really have the sort of story that would fit Kakarot's structure unless they take heavy liberaties.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:03 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 am Cooler and Broly have portrait leaks if anyone wants to go see them.
If you're referring to this, it's fake news (old fake news at that). There are no leaks for the new DLCs that I'm currently aware of.

Cooler and Z Broly would not surprise me, though. Hard pass on this whole expansion if true.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:51 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:03 pm
If you're referring to this, it's fake news (old fake news at that). There are no leaks for the new DLCs that I'm currently aware of.

Cooler and Z Broly would not surprise me, though. Hard pass on this whole expansion if true.
Same leak but the tweet I saw qas from a week ago and not mentioning it was fake. Didn't want to link it because I didn't want to get in trouble with leaks if it was real.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:35 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:03 pm

Thank god!l

Actually, adapting the rest of Super arcs won't be that hard, except for Tournament of Power because of the load of characters.
But if they went with Universe 6 Tournament, it's basically the same designs plus Champa, Vados and 5 characters from Universe 6.
With Trunks arc, it would be the easiest. Same designs, Z Trunks plus Zamasu, Goku Black and Fused Zamasu.
They can also take their liberties with the arcs the same way they did with Beerus arc.
That leaves Tournament of Power kinda out and same as with Super manga, I am not looking forward to getting any more chopped up versions of Super with arcs missing or being butchered like in Kakarot.
Except for Golden Freeza, that was kinda cool.

Still happy if we just got the Bardock and the two new extra DLCs are unexpected bonus, therefore I wonder if they will be as full blown as Trunks and presumably Bardock, or just some quick easy adds like in Xenoverse 2 for the past sleught of DLCs.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:49 am

The ToP seems like a stretch, they would need to add plenty of new characters and also new forms, UI specially cannot be left out, but it'd be bad if Sign or SSBE were. A new stage, Zeno, Daishinkan, etc. And it's just fighting, so I'm not sure what else could you do besides fight other people. Seems like a DLC isn't enough to do justice to that arc, in terms of content.

The Black arc seems easier to do, you already have the ruined city from Trunks' DLC. Fusion and SSB are already playable, just need to blend them together. Only add a new skin for Goku Black, Zamasu, and their fusion, and SSRosé for Black. Missions could be saving people on different cities, gathering stuff for the Time Machine to work, escaping Black... it could be fucking amazing. They would have to pick a version of the FT arc, though.

While the Z brand is there, and the god forms, the GoDs and Golden Freeza all appeared on Z branded films, that's just a technicality, they shine on DBS, they belong to the second era of DB, no matter what they stamped on their movies. Hardly see that as a dealbreaker, besides the game is called Kakarot and we are getting a second DLC were Kakarot is out of the question as a playable character. It's not like you only play as Goku either, so the name of the game shouldn't prevent them from giving us modern stories.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:57 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:49 am The Black arc seems easier to do, you already have the ruined city from Trunks' DLC. Fusion and SSB are already playable, just need to blend them together. Only add a new skin for Goku Black, Zamasu, and their fusion, and SSRosé for Black. Missions could be saving people on different cities, gathering stuff for the Time Machine to work, escaping Black... it could be fucking amazing. They would have to pick a version of the FT arc, though.
If they were to do the Future Trunks arc, then Sean Schemmel could do a better job at doing his SSRosé Goku Black voice to be more consistent with his base form Goku Black voice than he did in Super. I actually enjoyed his performance as Goku Black Rosé when it wasn't that stupid British accent, but an accent more consistent with James Marsters' Zamasu voice like he said he tried to do.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:49 am The ToP seems like a stretch, they would need to add plenty of new characters and also new forms, UI specially cannot be left out, but it'd be bad if Sign or SSBE were. A new stage, Zeno, Daishinkan, etc. And it's just fighting, so I'm not sure what else could you do besides fight other people. Seems like a DLC isn't enough to do justice to that arc, in terms of content.

The Black arc seems easier to do, you already have the ruined city from Trunks' DLC. Fusion and SSB are already playable, just need to blend them together. Only add a new skin for Goku Black, Zamasu, and their fusion, and SSRosé for Black. Missions could be saving people on different cities, gathering stuff for the Time Machine to work, escaping Black... it could be fucking amazing. They would have to pick a version of the FT arc, though.

While the Z brand is there, and the god forms, the GoDs and Golden Freeza all appeared on Z branded films, that's just a technicality, they shine on DBS, they belong to the second era of DB, no matter what they stamped on their movies. Hardly see that as a dealbreaker, besides the game is called Kakarot and we are getting a second DLC were Kakarot is out of the question as a playable character. It's not like you only play as Goku either, so the name of the game shouldn't prevent them from giving us modern stories.
Just because they Shine is Super doesn't change the fact they debuted in Z material which is what the game seems to be focusing on.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:50 am

I wonder if we will get some new leaks after Bardock's release. I guess they are doing some tweaks to Bardock still and who knows if they have the DLC planned out or it is just a marketing ploy "Let's make Bardock and another 2 DLCs, that we'll figure out on the go".

I wouldn't be surprised if it is extra in-game quests or some card game expansion :lol: But I hope not.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:57 pm

^ Well, on that video posted 8 hours ago on the Bandai Namco Twitter account (at least the French account, "Bandai Namco FR"), it does show a picture at the end with slots for all three arcs and every slot states it offers "a new story arc".

I don't know if it was already stated before in other videos and glimpses, but if it wasn't, it is confirmed now: it seems we'll get three complete story arcs similar to the Trunks' expansion.

Of course, the "a new story arc" mention is the only thing they are willing to confirm for all three slots.

The first slots indicates, for the title, type of content and release window/date:
-BARDOCK- Alone Against Fate:
a new story arc,
soon available

But the other two slots only indicate:
? ? ? ? ? ?:
a new story arc,
? ? ?

However, it does clearly confirm all three are full story arcs.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 am

I'm hoping for End of Z and Future Trunks Arc

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 am I'm hoping for End of Z and Future Trunks Arc
Oh god, if they do the Future Trunks Arc. That arc had a good thing going, then the last fight & ending happened. The manga did worse in some respects, but those were veery stupid.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 am
Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 am I'm hoping for End of Z and Future Trunks Arc
Oh god, if they do the Future Trunks Arc. That arc had a good thing going, then the last fight & ending happened. The manga did worse in some respects, but those were veery stupid.
If they end up having the same ending, I hope we get some quests with Future Trunks in the other Future.

I want to have some awkward tension with the two Future Trunks lol

Let's hope they change the ending a bit, with this game basically being a prequel to Xenoverse 2, they can just treat this as another Timeline/Dimension

But honestly, I don't think we'll get Future Trunks arc. That'll be for an inevitable Sequel to Kakarot or Season Pass 3.

A Season Pass 3 would probably be Universe 6, Future Trunks and Tournament of Power

If we don't get Future Trunks, hopefully we still would get End of Z. The other story arc I'm hoping for is Otherworld Tournament + Janemba

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:17 am

I am definitely rooting and want End Of Z. The BOG and ROF are just bonuses that are there and way overpower your characters for main game, Trunks on the other hand was cool DLC with finally adapting the Buu arc from future as it was in manga and anime in Super, which was unexpected and cool (we already got something like that but in cheap video game writing and extending the narrative beyond it's welcome in Shin Budokai 2 and the same way it goes in Legends).

But all things said, Kakarot for me was fun, sure, I had some nitpicks on designs and sidequests plus missing the whole Trunks and Cell interaction in Cell arc, but not only it kicked the nostalgia of playing my most fav childhood series from start to finish in one game and with cool visuals recreating the key scenes, it was also like playing Legacy of Goku series back in the day.
But without the End of Z, I understand that they wanna keep doors open because of Super, same way they kinda ruined the EOZ conclusion because of GT, but without it the story feels incomplete. You defeat Buu, end titles and then you roam the world for hours, doing some quests, being stuck in a moment of time.

I also kinda understand, that EOZ would have to need to do a lot of design revamps, unless they just put Goku into the iconic Blue Gi and leave Vegeta in blue uniform and keep everyone else the same and not show Trunks or Goten :lol:
It's actually more work, then to adapt the freaking 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai! Which is doable with the starting Z designs.
And that is the second DLC I hope for! It was cool that one of the SNES Games basically started Z with this portion of story, same happened with DB Kai on Nintendo DS as Dragon Ball game simply didn't go past King Piccolo arc because of the huge change in roster and that would also translate into the gameplay.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:05 am

Would be cool if they actually created sagas from Super and GT, with EoZ somewhere in the middle. Would be perfect. This or every "Z" movie. That would be cool too.

Or gimme everything. :twisted:

edit:
Unlocking other characters and making them playable would be nice. And the option to change costumes. I still can't understand why this isn't possible in the base game. Shame, because Kakarot is actually really fun to play.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:30 pm

^ My only guess for the costumes is that they're afraid that the prerendered cutscenes are going to stick out like a sore thumb, with characters sometimes switching to their original costumes out of the blue.

It wouldn't matter to me because every real-time moment would still have the costumes we choose, but it must be important for the devs to keep the prerendered cutscenes - at least those mimicking the base in-game engine - as seamless as possible.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:33 pm

If they really wanted to do any arc from Super, FT is the obvious choice. SSBs, Vegetto and the whole manga set-up is already in the game, the only issue would be the ending. But the pieces are all there.

However I would rather have things like this Bardock DLC or original takes on other content rather than watered-down versions of them like BoG and RoF were, specially the former. I do wonder if there will be any rhyme or reason to connect those stories tho, as other than being related to a non-existent FT arc there was nothing in common between the first two DLCs and the third one -which was way better imho- so we are probably going to get random popular stuff one after the other. Still, it would be nice if for example we got Cooler or a heavy modified Broly after this Bardock
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:33 pm

The remade graphics and environment for next-gen consoles is enough to make me play the base game and current DLCs again on PS5 before I dive into the Bardack DLC. It's going to be much nicer than the original from what we've seen.

For example, Goku's house surroundings seem much nicer in the comparison shot, it really gives a better impression of an area where someone would like to live.

But it makes me wonder what they're going to do with the pre-rendered scenes that mimicked the in-game graphics. In the original, you could notice the lower resolution of those, but the thing is also that if they use the same videos for these scenes, the environment is going to turn from "next-gen remake" during real-time cutscenes to "old-gen stripped version" when the scene is a prerendered video mimicking the in-game graphics.

So I wonder if they're going to re-encode the videos with the "new" environments or simply have it all in real time this time around (which has happened to other games before when they were re-release with a next-gen update, giving up pre-rendered videos for real-time cutscenes).

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm

IMO, the biggest problem with the game is the way the models look. What I think happened is that CC2 wanted to make models that were able to portray different shots in the manga, but since the manga is never consistent, and they didn't detail everything frame by frame like with FighterZ, the characters came out looking off. Vegeta being the biggest offender. And then you have the textures. Which I believe suffers from the complete opposite problem Xenoverse has. Xenoverse looks stiff and plasticky like a bunch of action figures, while Kakarot is all soft and kind of droopy at times - like clay.

I think it interferes with a lot of cutscenes. Especially when you compare them to the anime and CC2's previous work
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:47 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:33 pm The remade graphics and environment for next-gen consoles is enough to make me play the base game and current DLCs again on PS5 before I dive into the Bardack DLC. It's going to be much nicer than the original from what we've seen.

For example, Goku's house surroundings seem much nicer in the comparison shot, it really gives a better impression of an area where someone would like to live.

But it makes me wonder what they're going to do with the pre-rendered scenes that mimicked the in-game graphics. In the original, you could notice the lower resolution of those, but the thing is also that if they use the same videos for these scenes, the environment is going to turn from "next-gen remake" during real-time cutscenes to "old-gen stripped version" when the scene is a prerendered video mimicking the in-game graphics.

So I wonder if they're going to re-encode the videos with the "new" environments or simply have it all in real time this time around (which has happened to other games before when they were re-release with a next-gen update, giving up pre-rendered videos for real-time cutscenes).
Agreed. Hell, I replayed KH3 on PS5 & Xbox Series X because the game played so much better on them than PS4 & X1X. Fully stable 60FPS on consoles finally. Surprised they haven't made 9th gen ports of KH3 yet to go wit the PC version.

It's possible they could redo the cutscenes in-engine. Some games get that. I can't remember which game, but I remember 1 did that when being ported to 9th gen from 8th gen. Hell, The Last of Us 1 had most of the cutscenes redone in-engine when they remade it for PS5.
IntangibleFancy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:09 pm IMO, the biggest problem with the game is the way the models look. What I think happened is that CC2 wanted to make models that were able to portray different shots in the manga, but since the manga is never consistent, and they didn't detail everything frame by frame like with FighterZ, the characters came out looking off. Vegeta being the biggest offender. And then you have the textures. Which I believe suffers from the complete opposite problem Xenoverse has. Xenoverse looks stiff and plasticky like a bunch of action figures, while Kakarot is all soft and kind of droopy at times - like clay.

I think it interferes with a lot of cutscenes. Especially when you compare them to the anime and CC2's previous work
The only model I really have problems with is Goku's (& Goten's by way of him just being a shrunken Goku model). His hair is really weird & his face is bad, mainly in base form with his black hair & regular hairstyle. Though, I know they're not gonna fix it at all.