"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:40 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:12 pm So after all, the Z on the name was not a dealbreaker when it comes to adding stories that didn't happen between Raditz and Buu. Not surprised, why would they be prisoners to a single letter, when there's so much more?

Now I can dream about Zamasu, the ToP, and Broly, and maybe SH, but most importantly, won't need to conform to the Z movies and only Z-related material. Goku raiding the RRA base would be fantastic, too.

For the 23rd TB DLC they would need to adapt the TB arena, right? have the old wall and the lower stands. Only Piccolo and Goku could fly, I wonder how they'll work that out. And I guess that later on they could just have the other tournaments by tweaking a couple of things.
Yeah those Twitter repliers aren't the smartest people, "but it's a DBZ game"

I hope 3rd DLC is Goku Black just to spite them

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:21 am

This game honestly feels like it will have a really good sequel. The ground work is there they just need to refine it into something truly great. A better combat system with an actual open world and more stuff to do in it would be great.
Raditz did nothing wrong

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:26 am

Darnis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:21 am This game honestly feels like it will have a really good sequel. The ground work is there they just need to refine it into something truly great. A better combat system with an actual open world and more stuff to do in it would be great.
I agree but I also fear in current days DLCs took over Sequels, and sadly for us these don't improve the core gameplay but only add new stories.

We'll see what happens in regards to grounded combat in the next DLC, it's long overdue to implement it.

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:35 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:26 am
Darnis wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:21 am This game honestly feels like it will have a really good sequel. The ground work is there they just need to refine it into something truly great. A better combat system with an actual open world and more stuff to do in it would be great.
I agree but I also fear in current days DLCs took over Sequels, and sadly for us these don't improve the core gameplay but only add new stories.

We'll see what happens in regards to grounded combat in the next DLC, it's long overdue to implement it.
I think we'll get a sequel even if it's a couple of years from now. I don't think you can milk this game as hard as they did Xenoverse
Raditz did nothing wrong

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm

While they follow the stroy close enough as is I feel like a Kakarot sequel could take risks and create its own section in Dragonball histroy if I wanted and did its own orginal arcs in a sequel.

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:07 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm While they follow the stroy close enough as is I feel like a Kakarot sequel could take risks and create its own section in Dragonball histroy if I wanted and did its own orginal arcs in a sequel.
I was thinking the same thing. I think they need to lean into some What Ifs?
Raditz did nothing wrong

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:34 pm

New trailer is amazing!

Always wondered how Bardock reacts in the presence of Vegeta or King Vegeta. I guess if they really wanted to make Bardock stand out, he would be one of those who wouldn't care, but he's just standing there (menacingly!) while Vegeta walks by. Maybe there will be a mission of the two together? It would be great to see their interactions, and how Bardock deals with Vegeta's "troublemaking" personality, as stated in Dragon Ball Minus (while being a nod to that).

The bar scene/part is something to look forward to, hopefully we will get to see even more female Saiyans and all kinds of different designs.

Looks fantastic, very excited to see what else is brought to the table and wishing to Dende there's more, just like in Trunks DLC.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:55 pm

I hope they add solid state scouter soundtrack to the fight in the stratosphere.

Two more DLC's to come, one will be the 23rd TB, but what about the third one? will it be also another DB arc? a Z movie? or something DBS related? perhaps another tourney?
I'd like another Dragonball DLC, if not, then let us jump into DBS: Black, the ToP or Broly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:46 pm

English dub version of the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qaz11dHIDE
Looking forward to the performances of the rest of the Bardock Special's cast outside of Bardock & Frieza, since we've heard Sonny Strait & Daman Mills already in this & other more recent games, Super, & Super: Broly & their performances are really good. I assume they got the VAs who played Bardock's squadmates back at least. Also hope they revert their names to the original Japanese ones. I agree with KaiserNeko that the dub name changes for them were stupid & unneeded.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Does anyone know if the ps5/xsx visual upgrades coming this week are coming to PC? I would love to see visual upgrades to the pc version

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:26 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:24 pm Does anyone know if the ps5/xsx visual upgrades coming this week are coming to PC? I would love to see visual upgrades to the pc version
I assume so. Companies usually update the PC versions of games that get upgrades the same day with an update even if they don't announce it beforehand.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:08 am

I seriously hope the (ACTUAL) end of DBZ is covered (and maybe even expanded on) as the final DLC for Kakarot. Heck, we have Super Hero as a base for it, so...

Darnis

Post by Darnis » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:53 pm

I really wish they had gone with the manga aesthetic like they originally were. I feel like a graphics update wouldn't even be needed if they had.
Raditz did nothing wrong

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:46 pm

I cannot stress how happy I am we’re getting 23rd WT as a dlc. I’ve wanted this for so long, it’s my favorite arc and is so under represented in games

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:45 pm

It's a strange decision to go with the 23rd tournament though. I'm up for any arc they'd add, but I wouldn't even have thought of this one as being even in line to be considered.

When trying to convince people to spend extra money for the game, there are much safer and more popular bets (anything that makes the story advance even further - so basically any Super arc - or popular Z movies with fan favorites like Broly, Cooler, Gogeta...), with moments that are just waiting to be turned into extra-flashy prerendered cutscenes.

I could think that the interest lies in the adventure aspect of the game compared to usual DB games which revolve around fighting, but... this tournament is just one fight after another in one place and short bits of exposition in-between.
That makes me curious of the changes they might include to make room for exploration and side quests. For example, maybe when Goku and his friends arrive, they'll make it so that there's time before the tournament, so he can explore the island and do side quests? Or maybe rain will interrupt the tournament at some point and give the player a break to roam around the island for those quests (the rain interruption happened in the DB anime)?

In any case, it's unexpected and not the most thrilling part of the overall story, but it will still be interesting and I'll gladly play it for hours all the same!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:02 pm

The tournament is certainly an odd choice for story DLC unless they add some major filler. I doubt the DLC is gonna let us play as the previous non-playable Z members, so it'll just be Goku's fights, whose only real fight in the arc is Piccolo. Maybe we get a section before the actual tournament where we get to play through Goku and Piccolo's individual training and have some 'mind fight' missions?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:46 am

Kanassa wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:02 pm The tournament is certainly an odd choice for story DLC unless they add some major filler. I doubt the DLC is gonna let us play as the previous non-playable Z members, so it'll just be Goku's fights, whose only real fight in the arc is Piccolo. Maybe we get a section before the actual tournament where we get to play through Goku and Piccolo's individual training and have some 'mind fight' missions?
I expect them to add Yamcha and Tien playable, would be for the best. They both had important fights and would be weird for these to be just cutscenes (Yamcha vs Shen and Tien vs Cyborg Tao)

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 am

Meanwhile, it's coming up in a few hours and we still don't know exactly how it's going to work to keep our saves while going for the current-gen version. Usually, publishers put the "cross-gen" details on their Twitter or official websites with a detailed explanation of how it works.

And games have many different methods to handle the preservation of a save file, which is sometimes not too handy depending on how they made it work:
- sometimes there's no transfer at all and you have to start over and even pay the full game again. (Devil May Cry 5) At least, we already know that Kakarot won't take that road and will rather go for the "free current-gen update".
- sometimes you have to start the previous-gen game, select an upload option, start the current-gen game, select a download option. (Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil Village)
- sometimes you only need to recover your save file, but you still need to find a specific conversion option in the current-gen game or your game will start brand new without any warning. (Elden Ring)
- sometimes you only need to recover your save file and the game will automatically and immediately offer you to use it for the current-gen version even before arriving on the main menu. (Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3)
- sometimes you don't even need your save file, as the game can recover all of your progress from online data which was already uploaded all the time, without need for the previous-gen game nor the previous-gen save file. (Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Rainbow Six Siege, Fortnite)

Too bad we don't know if we have to re-install the previous-gen version right now.
I'll try booting the PS5 version (when it's released) with the PS4 save file, and hope this is at least one of the games set to recognize it without any need to go through menus in the PS4 game (and therefore re-install the PS4 version just for a transfer)!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:16 am

Funniest thing is that people here are talking more about the upcoming DLC than the Bardock one!

Poor Bardy, I don't even care when his DLC comes out :lol: give me Ma Jr!

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:50 am

I wonder is EoZ is going to be a DLC too... Would be cool to play as adult Trunks and Goten. Or Pan. Or Uub. Or everyone.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.