Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:33 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am [ but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a casual fan would prefer the 30th anniversary set over the Level sets.
The 30th anniversary set was also, y'know, complete and thus isn't entirely worthless.
LOL Yeah, that's a given. I was specifically comparing the video quality.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:50 pm

SylentEcho wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm I know we're frustrated that we're not getting the master footage, but, what do you guys think of it as a product compared to the other home releases, without the context of Funi screwing us, etc?

I did a comparison with this, the Funi singles and The Dragon Boxes with some friends watching along. My Dragon Boxes looked and sounded outdated. A few of my friends saw this 30th set, though and fell in love with it. They thought the Single DVDs still looked, "fine". I tried to explain how some detail is lost, a ton of scenes looked like painted pictures, instead of hand-drawn animation didn't look life-like, but they kept insisting that it's worth it, given how nice the show looks, now.
it's better than the orange bricks and season sets, as its not in 16:9 and the brightness doesn't look like a nuclear bomb hit the scene. But that's where it ends

Compared to the level sets they look laughable
the D-boxs look better than the 30th anniversary, why do you think people are still searching to buy them or just getting them through other means. I would say they do look a bit better than the singles but that's a really stupid comparison, like it's a Blu-ray that's been released recently compared to 20 year old DVDs. The single would look way better if they had better compression and no micro blocking, they weren't made for today's TVs, today's standards.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm

The thing is they screwed up so many times it's ridiculous.

-They cancel the ultimate uncut dvds.
- They made the abomination orange bricks (Which is even worse when you realise, it could have been better than the d-boxes. As they were scanned in 2k and the colours didn't fade as badly and they had all 3 audio tracks, but they screwed everything up)
- They made the d-box very limited release (if they just kept them in print or at least a little longer like other countries people would not complain as much)
- They cancelled the level sets too early (if they just finished them nobody wood complain)
- They had the chance to redeem themselves with the season set blu ray but they made the orange bricks 2.0
- They failed again with the 30th anniversary

The thing is they have the materials to make a release MUCH better than the D-Boxes, like the show could look actually beautiful. If they did it properly like Kineko Video showed us.

Let's hope this nightmare ends and AB group potentially releases a Blu-ray of DBZ

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am Not so much with Kai (aside from blurriness), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a casual fan would prefer the 30th anniversary set over the Level sets. The casual fan doesn't know any the background and fake grain and color correction. I would imagine that to the casual fan, they'd see a clean, sharp image and say it looks great compared to the Level sets' darker, older-looking quality.

The release itself isn't bad for casual audiences. It's bad for the fact that it wasn't marketed to casual audiences--this was marketed to fans who knew where to find this marketing and who were willing to pay them ahead of time to do it.
Kai, I don't understand why they didn't sharpen it more to not be that blurry. However, the rest of the remaster is good, minus some of the redrawn/traced frames. Also the needless cropping to widescreen & green tint for TFC.

That's the problem, FUNi has always targeted the braindead casuals. However, a bigger problem with the 30th anniversary collection's remaster is the fact that they legit thought that the only problem with their previous stuff was the cropping to 16:9 rather than the fact that the video itself looks terrible because of how badly they cranked up the DVNR, the bad color correction, & the brightness being cranked up. And then they marketed the set to hardcore fans who weren't impressed with their previous efforts outside of the level sets. Then they did that shitty blogpost to defend their shit after they got a lot of backlash which only got them more of it because they just self reported on why they make the decisions they do. They don't care about the product as long as it sells well. For the series & franchise that helped get them off the ground & on the map, it's just insulting.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:12 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am Not so much with Kai (aside from blurriness), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a casual fan would prefer the 30th anniversary set over the Level sets. The casual fan doesn't know any the background and fake grain and color correction. I would imagine that to the casual fan, they'd see a clean, sharp image and say it looks great compared to the Level sets' darker, older-looking quality.

The release itself isn't bad for casual audiences. It's bad for the fact that it wasn't marketed to casual audiences--this was marketed to fans who knew where to find this marketing and who were willing to pay them ahead of time to do it.
Kai, I don't understand why they didn't sharpen it more to not be that blurry. However, the rest of the remaster is good, minus some of the redrawn/traced frames. Also the needless cropping to widescreen & green tint for TFC.

That's the problem, FUNi has always targeted the braindead casuals. However, a bigger problem with the 30th anniversary collection's remaster is the fact that they legit thought that the only problem with their previous stuff was the cropping to 16:9 rather than the fact that the video itself looks terrible because of how badly they cranked up the DVNR, the bad color correction, & the brightness being cranked up. And then they marketed the set to hardcore fans who weren't impressed with their previous efforts outside of the level sets. Then they did that shitty blogpost to defend their shit after they got a lot of backlash which only got them more of it because they just self reported on why they make the decisions they do. They don't care about the product as long as it sells well. For the series & franchise that helped get them off the ground & on the map, it's just insulting.
Surely, they can't be that dim. We've been complaining for 15 years. I'm fairly certain someone over there reads Kanzenshuu and there's been a couple of them here ever since the old Daizex days. The thing is, if they give us 4:3+ Masters+ Faulconer, they know they can probably never sell the series as well ever again. Dragon Ball (Z), to them is a cash-cow that keeps on giving. It's sad how they mistreat the series that made them.

Another thing I wonder about is, if Blu-Ray gets outdated by the time they do decide to do something, will the masters look as good on streaming platforms?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:17 am

SylentEcho wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 pm Surely, they can't be that dim. We've been complaining for 15 years. I'm fairly certain someone over there reads Kanzenshuu and there's been a couple of them here ever since the old Daizex days. The thing is, if they give us 4:3+ Masters+ Faulconer, they know they can probably never sell the series as well ever again. Dragon Ball (Z), to them is a cash-cow that keeps on giving. It's sad how they mistreat the series that made them.

Another thing I wonder about is, if Blu-Ray gets outdated by the time they do decide to do something, will the masters look as good on streaming platforms?
FUNimation have, for years, internally made decisions that they know not everyone as been happy with. Back in 2013-2014, they ignored the results of the survey they put out asking if people wanted 4:3 or 16:9 for those BRs to give us the BR version of the Orange Bricks because most people said they wanted 4:3, but they cropped it. Then in their blogpost, they confirmed that they do widescreen & all the other shit they do because those releases have sold well, despite the fact that the circumstances around them selling well is why they did, not because of the quality of the masters. And they tried using stupid other justifications like, "TVs back in the 80s & 90s didn't have the black bars when you watched something on them, so we've previously cropped the episodes to maintain that." Despite the fact that the Dragon Boxes weren't cropped, the first 98 episodes of Kai were released in 4:3 when they could've easily just released the widescreen versions, & they did the levels in 4:3. Not to mention literally every other show made in 4:3 they've ever dubbed & released, they kept in that aspect ratio.

Yes, they can be that stupid, but it's a stupidity that screams that they want quick money over a quality product that they can just rerelease over time. It's just insulting.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:40 pm

So Funimation screwed up another DBZ release? I'm so glad that my finances are good enough to slowly buy the remaining Dragonbox DVDs. The vast majority of shows only get 1 shot to release a show properly. But sense DragonBall is a mega-hit Funimation can fail upwards.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:29 am

Raki wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:40 pm So Funimation screwed up another DBZ release? I'm so glad that my finances are good enough to slowly buy the remaining Dragonbox DVDs. The vast majority of shows only get 1 shot to release a show properly. But sense DragonBall is a mega-hit Funimation can fail upwards.
I don't wanna absolve Toei of their weird choices. If they can do a highly regarded, full blu-ray remaster of Sailor Moon with only some minor issues, then they can do the same with Dragon Ball. I think all parties involved (Toei, Funimation, and to an extent Viz) realize that the series will sell no matter what, so it doesn't matter what they put out.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:56 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:29 am I don't wanna absolve Toei of their weird choices. If they can do a highly regarded, full blu-ray remaster of Sailor Moon with only some minor issues, then they can do the same with Dragon Ball. I think all parties involved (Toei, Funimation, and to an extent Viz) realize that the series will sell no matter what, so it doesn't matter what they put out.
You know that the Sailor Moon US BRs for the show were done by Viz with another company subcontracted (I think), not Toei, right? Toei had nothing to do with those. On top of that, those BRs aren't "high regarded." The BRs of the show aren't that good. All of them have oversaturation of colors, a bit too much DNR applied, & bad color correction. On top of that, the season 1 BRs have ghosting issues that make no sense to be there. I know this because I own them & have watched halfway through season 3 & haven't heard otherwise for the rest of season 3-5.
Now, the movies have good remasters, but that's either because Toei did those themselves, or they had good masters for them to remaster because the show apparently didn't have good masters to do a remaster on. It's weird too because apparently the Italian DVDs have good masters on them, so why not just upscale those? It's dumb.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:40 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:56 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:29 am I don't wanna absolve Toei of their weird choices. If they can do a highly regarded, full blu-ray remaster of Sailor Moon with only some minor issues, then they can do the same with Dragon Ball. I think all parties involved (Toei, Funimation, and to an extent Viz) realize that the series will sell no matter what, so it doesn't matter what they put out.
You know that the Sailor Moon US BRs for the show were done by Viz with another company subcontracted (I think), not Toei, right? Toei had nothing to do with those. On top of that, those BRs aren't "high regarded." The BRs of the show aren't that good. All of them have oversaturation of colors, a bit too much DNR applied, & bad color correction. On top of that, the season 1 BRs have ghosting issues that make no sense to be there. I know this because I own them & have watched halfway through season 3 & haven't heard otherwise for the rest of season 3-5.
Now, the movies have good remasters, but that's either because Toei did those themselves, or they had good masters for them to remaster because the show apparently didn't have good masters to do a remaster on. It's weird too because apparently the Italian DVDs have good masters on them, so why not just upscale those? It's dumb.
I'm aware of the problems that the first round of Sailor Moon blu-rays had, and I'm also aware that Toei did an internal remaster of the entire series in-and-around 2017 that blows the original Viz version out of the water. It's so much better that Viz is currently re-releasing the entire series using that new master.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:09 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:40 pm I'm aware of the problems that the first round of Sailor Moon blu-rays had, and I'm also aware that Toei did an internal remaster of the entire series in-and-around 2017 that blows the original Viz version out of the water. It's so much better that Viz is currently re-releasing the entire series using that new master.
Wait, really?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:28 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:09 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:40 pm I'm aware of the problems that the first round of Sailor Moon blu-rays had, and I'm also aware that Toei did an internal remaster of the entire series in-and-around 2017 that blows the original Viz version out of the water. It's so much better that Viz is currently re-releasing the entire series using that new master.
Wait, really?
Yes, apparently the recent S1 re release uses that newer remaster of Toei's and it's much better quality wise than the source Viz used back in 2014 for their initial BD releases. It seems they'll be reissuing the rest of the OG anime as a new collection of R is coming out in a few months. I assume S, SuperS and Sailor Stars will be following not long after.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:28 pm Yes, apparently the recent S1 re release uses that newer remaster of Toei's and it's much better quality wise than the source Viz used back in 2014 for their initial BD releases. It seems they'll be reissuing the rest of the OG anime as a new collection of R is coming out in a few months. I assume S, SuperS and Sailor Stars will be following not long after.
Oh, cool. I'll get them then.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:49 pm

Back on topic, my point is that Toei's been relying on the same DB/Z/GT video masters for 20 years while their other big shows are getting treated much better. At least they've bothered to update the movies, for what that's worth, and even then they messed it up with inconsistent censorship.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:07 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:28 pm
Wait, really?
Yes, apparently the recent S1 re release uses that newer remaster of Toei's and it's much better quality wise than the source Viz used back in 2014 for their initial BD releases. It seems they'll be reissuing the rest of the OG anime as a new collection of R is coming out in a few months. I assume S, SuperS and Sailor Stars will be following not long after.
Upscale or new remaster?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:10 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:07 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:28 pm
Wait, really?
Upscale or new remaster?
I don't recall which of the two it was, i'll have to double check. It may be an upscale but much better (as in something Toei did from their own materials) than what Viz put out in 2014/2015 during their first pass.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:28 pm Yes, apparently the recent S1 re release uses that newer remaster of Toei's and it's much better quality wise than the source Viz used back in 2014 for their initial BD releases. It seems they'll be reissuing the rest of the OG anime as a new collection of R is coming out in a few months. I assume S, SuperS and Sailor Stars will be following not long after.
Upscale or new remaster?
I've watched a review & seen some screenshot comparisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppuCmaH_gk8
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 1210303488
It seems to be an upscale of SD materials, but at least a more competent one than VIZ's 2014 version & the Japanese HD broadcast version. Toei apparently doesn't have suitable film masters of the show for which to make a true HD restoration possible. Viz confirmed this back in 2014 when they released their first set & had to do damage control over the QC issues of the discs like the color oversaturation & bad color correction, DVNR, & the ghosting that affected the season 1 discs, so the visuals are more clear & more accurate when it comes to the colors. It's not as crisp as it could be, but it's still fine.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:48 pm
Upscale or new remaster?
I've watched a review & seen some screenshot comparisons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppuCmaH_gk8
https://twitter.com/fredjfrancis/status ... 1210303488
It seems to be an upscale of SD materials, but at least a more competent one than VIZ's 2014 version & the Japanese HD broadcast version. Toei apparently doesn't have suitable film masters of the show for which to make a true HD restoration possible. Viz confirmed this back in 2014 when they released their first set & had to do damage control over the QC issues of the discs like the color oversaturation & bad color correction, DVNR, & the ghosting that affected the season 1 discs, so the visuals are more clear & more accurate when it comes to the colors. It's not as crisp as it could be, but it's still fine.
Yes, and it's basically been confirmed that the upcoming re release of R is more or less the same thing. Well either way this is undoubtedly a clear improvement over the 2014 BD's so when i do get around to collecting the OG SM anime run those will be the versions i go with. I'm guessing S, SuperS and Sailor Stars when Viz eventually gets to re releasing them is going to be a similar deal.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:40 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:13 pm Yes, and it's basically been confirmed that the upcoming re release of R is more or less the same thing. Well either way this is undoubtedly a clear improvement over the 2014 BD's so when i do get around to collecting the OG SM anime run those will be the versions i go with. I'm guessing S, SuperS and Sailor Stars when Viz eventually gets to re releasing them is going to be a similar deal.
I own the original 2014 SM sets. I got the limited edition versions of the part 1s of the seasons too that have the cardboard boxes & booklets. While the sets are very nice, the masters on the discs leave a lot to be desired. They're basically akin to the orange bricks or season BRs for DBZ, but not as bad. Basically, take the 2019 masters FUNi made for Z & turn down the DVNR & sharpening a few notches & you've got something akin to the SM 2014 masters. Luckily, they've seemed to have gotten better with their upscaling with their BRs for Death Note, Inuyasha, Naruto, & Bleach, so that's good.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:40 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:13 pm Yes, and it's basically been confirmed that the upcoming re release of R is more or less the same thing. Well either way this is undoubtedly a clear improvement over the 2014 BD's so when i do get around to collecting the OG SM anime run those will be the versions i go with. I'm guessing S, SuperS and Sailor Stars when Viz eventually gets to re releasing them is going to be a similar deal.
I own the original 2014 SM sets. I got the limited edition versions of the part 1s of the seasons too that have the cardboard boxes & booklets. While the sets are very nice, the masters on the discs leave a lot to be desired. They're basically akin to the orange bricks or season BRs for DBZ, but not as bad. Basically, take the 2019 masters FUNi made for Z & turn down the DVNR & sharpening a few notches & you've got something akin to the SM 2014 masters. Luckily, they've seemed to have gotten better with their upscaling with their BRs for Death Note, Inuyasha, Naruto, & Bleach, so that's good.
Indeed, though i'm glad that Viz has actually made the effort here to go back and do better releases of the classic Sailor Moon run. The packaging of the 2014/2015 LE sets is nice but yes the masters of the episodes therein OTOH aren't great. Even if the new releases are upscales themselves at least it's coming from a better source this time around and the quality therein is much better than the previous versions. Those comparison pics showing the recent S1 re release against the 2014 version are night and day, it's obvious that Toei's upscale has far better quality and none of the PQ issues that plagued the former.