Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:55 am

Son Gara wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:49 am
mikezilla2 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:30 pm Well i think the Steelbooks are out of print or are going out of Print , everything in the West that came after the level sets has Disappointed me , iv got the Two level Sets and all the dragonboxs and i still have my madman Orange Bricks here .... recently picked up the US green brick GT set to replace my Greenbrick madman GT set as i heard the audio is a mess and i do recall it not being Great when i watched it ...

people are talking about the selectavsion BDs but those are also Crappy ....

now that funimation as a brand is no longer around ( I'm sure the management is getting shuffled) has there been any thought to starting a hash tag ie level Set revival or something and pointing it at Crunchy Roll ?
The rumor I keep hearing is that Toei isn't going to release any kind of masters like what the level sets or dragon boxes were, to international companies due to fear of Japanese fans importing them, thus hurting the Japanese dvd sales. Again it's just a rumor I keep seeing, so take it with a grain of salt.
Except for when they did. The US Dragon Box (and I assume any other international release of the Dragon Box) were literally imported from the Japanese Dragon Box.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:49 am

mikezilla2 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:30 pm Well i think the Steelbooks are out of print or are going out of Print , everything in the West that came after the level sets has Disappointed me , iv got the Two level Sets and all the dragonboxs and i still have my madman Orange Bricks here .... recently picked up the US green brick GT set to replace my Greenbrick madman GT set as i heard the audio is a mess and i do recall it not being Great when i watched it ...

now that funimation as a brand is no longer around ( I'm sure the management is getting shuffled) has there been any thought to starting a hash tag ie level Set revival or something and pointing it at Crunchy Roll ?
The rumor I keep hearing is that Toei isn't going to release any kind of masters like what the level sets or dragon boxes were, to international companies due to fear of Japanese fans importing them, thus hurting the Japanese dvd sales. Again it's just a rumor I keep seeing, so take it with a grain of salt.
I doubt this very much. TOEI aren't doing their own HD remaster of the Dragon Ball Z TV series, because they don't care for it. The show is but a means to sell toys, games and merchandise as far as they are concerned and nothing more. They will only release Z in HD if it is a means to that end. My hunch is that this is part of the reason TOEI chose to create Dragon Ball Kai to pass it off as a new show that could drive sales of merch and call it a day. Of course we know Kai-branded products were a failure, but as far as I can tell that was TOEI's intention nonetheless.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 pm

It's not even worth getting the overpriced Dragon Box with 4/8K TV and blu-ray player... all my DVDs look like hell on it, you can't even sell them, because with Blu-ray and streaming, DVDs had become pretty much worthless.

I feel that getting a proper home release, like Batman TAS remaster on blu-ray (have it + Beyond) is in the realm of science fiction, more so with the Broadcast Audio cyrcling around the internet and all releases with Japanese version have that horrendous soundtrack.
TOEI's handling of their own series is batshit crazy...
One of the most popular series in it's heyday and still a popular cult and this is what we get.

Compare it to the blu-ray Gundam releases for example. In the end, hardcore fans will probably settle with pirated color corrected Dragon Boxes with broadcast audio and basically sacrifice some terabytes of memory, instead of tossing money on stuff like this.

Sounds harsh, but every release of this series is like a spit to our faces, as we are willing to buy the products.
And I wouldn't care so much about slightly bastardized colors only, if the image was the original 4:3.
Basically, having an upscale/remaster of Dragon Box would be enough for me... the better audio, which TOEI is not interested in would be a nice bonus. But I guess it is too hard to do a simple release.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:07 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 pm It's not even worth getting the overpriced Dragon Box with 4/8K TV and blu-ray player... all my DVDs look like hell on it, you can't even sell them, because with Blu-ray and streaming, DVDs had become pretty much worthless.

I feel that getting a proper home release, like Batman TAS remaster on blu-ray (have it + Beyond) is in the realm of science fiction, more so with the Broadcast Audio cyrcling around the internet and all releases with Japanese version have that horrendous soundtrack.
TOEI's handling of their own series is batshit crazy...
One of the most popular series in it's heyday and still a popular cult and this is what we get.

Compare it to the blu-ray Gundam releases for example. In the end, hardcore fans will probably settle with pirated color corrected Dragon Boxes with broadcast audio and basically sacrifice some terabytes of memory, instead of tossing money on stuff like this.

Sounds harsh, but every release of this series is like a spit to our faces, as we are willing to buy the products.
And I wouldn't care so much about slightly bastardized colors only, if the image was the original 4:3.
Basically, having an upscale/remaster of Dragon Box would be enough for me... the better audio, which TOEI is not interested in would be a nice bonus. But I guess it is too hard to do a simple release.
It's a shame, especially in the fact that there isn't a GOOD readily available 4:3 release of Z in stores. If the Level sets had been released at a more reasonable time and in volumes with more episodes on disc i'd have been perfectly fine with collecting those. Unfortunately, they got axed and i had to resort to buying the Dragon Boxes. Thankfully i lucked out and didn't have to break the bank too much thanks to some crazy eBay deals.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:52 am

That's why I pre ordered all of them as they were coming out because of Funimations history of making 4:3 DBZ releases a limited one

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:21 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:55 am

Except for when they did. The US Dragon Box (and I assume any other international release of the Dragon Box) were literally imported from the Japanese Dragon Box.
I was referring to nowadays. The Dragon Boxes were released more than a decade ago at this point, and Funi has done fuck all with them since. Seems like either they don't care or Toei won't allow them to.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:21 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 pm Back in stock
https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/ ... 2S1pt1Eiz8
Cheapest it's ever been, too.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:07 am

They really didn't sell a ton of copies, huh? Not surprised. The remastering work is really bad. Literally all they need for the episodes is a mild grain reduction, some mild color correction, & fixing of damaged frames, then they'd be fine. I really have no idea why the people at FUNi genuinely think that cropping was necessary on the orange bricks (even with the advent at the time of widescreen TVs) & especially on the season BRs from 2014, or that they need too reduce grain to the point where they make the series look like a watercolor digitally-animated piece of shit to sell it. It's DBZ, it's gonna sell as long as they have it be in affordable sets with the US dub with broadcast music audio track on it.

The level sets would've been perfect if they didn't oversaturate the market with Z releases or waited a few years to put them out when people were actually wanting the show in HD in its original format. Also, if they paid attention to the crushed blacks & adjusted whatever they needed to make it better. Then they could've just repackaged those & sold them over & over again. But, no. God, I hope Crunchyroll does a better job. Or if another company in another country takes their own shot at it like the new French remaster of DB, hopefully we can get something of actual quality.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:33 am

Considering that Funimation advertised that set as a limited edition--limited to the amount of people who pre-purchased it--it's kind of annoying that they're reselling it like that. It was one thing when they resold it with new packaging, but this is just messed up.

Why can't the company ever have honest marketing for once?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:54 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:33 am Considering that Funimation advertised that set as a limited edition--limited to the amount of people who pre-purchased it--it's kind of annoying that they're reselling it like that. It was one thing when they resold it with new packaging, but this is just messed up.

The problem is Funimation listen to the fans' complaints but they don't put in the effort to understand them. They interpreted the desire for 4:3 to mean it was something for collectors, a premium product and a reward for their dedication to the series. In actuality we know what every fan wanted, and that was for the 4:3 aspect ratio to be the standard, a baseline, not some sort of prized edition of the series - the bare minimum. And yes I know, not every fan was screaming for 4:3, lots bought the orange bricks, season Blu-Rays, etc and had no qualms about the show being 16:9, but equally few would have cared if those releases were in 4:3.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:40 am

They still have chance to redeem themselves, 40th or 50th anniversary :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:33 am Considering that Funimation advertised that set as a limited edition--limited to the amount of people who pre-purchased it--it's kind of annoying that they're reselling it like that. It was one thing when they resold it with new packaging, but this is just messed up.

Still not as bad aswhen they were selling their extra Dragon Boxes at scalper prices

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm

I'll say what I said in the Patreon Discord, which is if you were like me back in 2019 and the 4:3 + Faulconer + all 291 in one purchase makes sense to you, I'd say go for it. The remaster job is pretty absymal, but I've found it's not a deal breaker for me. I was fine paying $350 for it, so $270 for this ain't shabby in my opinion. Sure beats however much you'd have to pay to hunt down the Dragon Boxes these days.

It's certainly not for everyone and really not that appealing for the crowd around these parts, but at least at this point, if you're on this here forum and considering it, you know what you're in for.

The art book is pretty cool, too. Can't speak on the figure, I never opened it 😅
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:14 pm

MetaMoss wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm I'll say what I said in the Patreon Discord, which is if you were like me back in 2019 and the 4:3 + Faulconer + all 291 in one purchase makes sense to you, I'd say go for it. The remaster job is pretty absymal, but I've found it's not a deal breaker for me. I was fine paying $350 for it, so $270 for this ain't shabby in my opinion. Sure beats however much you'd have to pay to hunt down the Dragon Boxes these days.

It's certainly not for everyone and really not that appealing for the crowd around these parts, but at least at this point, if you're on this here forum and considering it, you know what you're in for.

The art book is pretty cool, too. Can't speak on the figure, I never opened it 😅
I got the steelbooks that repackaged the discs from the 30th anniversary set. Mainly so I have the episodes in SOME form, even if the remastering work is really bad. I have the level sets for the first 34 episodes, which is the best the show's ever looked, & I have Kai for the better pacing & better dub. I'd still like to buy the first 4 DBoxes for a decent price because I have the last 3 & would like them at some point, maybe next year. My thing is I need the show in 4:3. Even if poorly remastered, if it's cropped to widescreen, you've lost me. I can deal with a lot, but I can't deal with 4:3 content being cropped too 16:9. Even if done selectively. It's just stupid.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:56 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:14 pm
MetaMoss wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:51 pm I'll say what I said in the Patreon Discord, which is if you were like me back in 2019 and the 4:3 + Faulconer + all 291 in one purchase makes sense to you, I'd say go for it. The remaster job is pretty absymal, but I've found it's not a deal breaker for me. I was fine paying $350 for it, so $270 for this ain't shabby in my opinion. Sure beats however much you'd have to pay to hunt down the Dragon Boxes these days.

I got the steelbooks that repackaged the discs from the 30th anniversary set. Mainly so I have the episodes in SOME form, even if the remastering work is really bad. I have the level sets for the first 34 episodes, which is the best the show's ever looked, & I have Kai for the better pacing & better dub. I'd still like to buy the first 4 DBoxes for a decent price because I have the last 3 & would like them at some point, maybe next year. My thing is I need the show in 4:3. Even if poorly remastered, if it's cropped to widescreen, you've lost me. I can deal with a lot, but I can't deal with 4:3 content being cropped too 16:9. Even if done selectively. It's just stupid.
Indeed, because no matter how you slice it the fact is that it was NEVER intended to be seen in that format by the people who animated the series back in the '80s/'90s. Selective or no, that's still a significant chunk of the image being cut off which is by far the worst aspect of the Orange Bricks and Season BD's along with the DNR smear fest. Funny thing is that the Buu arc episodes on both actually look good sans the widescreen crop, and if that had been what the entirety of both releases looked like in 4:3 quality wise they would've been legit good releases. But, unfortunately that wasn't the case and i had to spend several years gradually collecting the Dragon Boxes because there's been no good affordable 4:3 alternative in stores to turn to.

Hell, if the season sets had been a cleaned up repackaging of the UUE and singles masters that would've been fine, but FUNi didn't do that and butchered DBZ into an aspect ratio it wasn't ever animated for as well as DNR'ing the hell out of the image so hard that lines literally disappear especially in the early sets.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm

I know we're frustrated that we're not getting the master footage, but, what do you guys think of it as a product compared to the other home releases, without the context of Funi screwing us, etc?

I did a comparison with this, the Funi singles and The Dragon Boxes with some friends watching along. My Dragon Boxes looked and sounded outdated. A few of my friends saw this 30th set, though and fell in love with it. They thought the Single DVDs still looked, "fine". I tried to explain how some detail is lost, a ton of scenes looked like painted pictures, instead of hand-drawn animation didn't look life-like, but they kept insisting that it's worth it, given how nice the show looks, now.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:14 am

SylentEcho wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm I know we're frustrated that we're not getting the master footage, but, what do you guys think of it as a product compared to the other home releases, without the context of Funi screwing us, etc?

I did a comparison with this, the Funi singles and The Dragon Boxes with some friends watching along. My Dragon Boxes looked and sounded outdated. A few of my friends saw this 30th set, though and fell in love with it. They thought the Single DVDs still looked, "fine". I tried to explain how some detail is lost, a ton of scenes looked like painted pictures, instead of hand-drawn animation didn't look life-like, but they kept insisting that it's worth it, given how nice the show looks, now.
Show them either the level footage or Kai, especially side-by-side if you can, & I'd like to see them say that again. I may need to watch more of the 30th anniversary "remaster," but just watching the 1st episode disappointed me so much. Background details look like fucking watercolor paintings, there's lots of loss of details, fake grain, & bad color correction. The only thing I can say about it is, thankfully, it's not as overly bright as the 2014 "remaster." Every time I see clips of that shit on YouTube, my eyes physically start to hurt after a bit. I can't understand whatsoever how anyone can stand it. They should get their eyes checked because they may be going blind.
Your friends have no real conception of how the show is supposed to look & are probably too used to how more modern, digitally drawn & inked animation looks. DBZ isn't supposed to look "modern." It came out in the late 80s & early-mid 90s, was hand drawn, & saved on film. It's supposed to look older because of that. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept & are serious like you say they are shouldn't be listened to when discussing the remasters.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:14 am
SylentEcho wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm I know we're frustrated that we're not getting the master footage, but, what do you guys think of it as a product compared to the other home releases, without the context of Funi screwing us, etc?

Show them either the level footage or Kai, especially side-by-side if you can, & I'd like to see them say that again. I may need to watch more of the 30th anniversary "remaster," but just watching the 1st episode disappointed me so much. Background details look like fucking watercolor paintings, there's lots of loss of details, fake grain, & bad color correction. The only thing I can say about it is, thankfully, it's not as overly bright as the 2014 "remaster." Every time I see clips of that shit on YouTube, my eyes physically start to hurt after a bit. I can't understand whatsoever how anyone can stand it. They should get their eyes checked because they may be going blind.
Your friends have no real conception of how the show is supposed to look & are probably too used to how more modern, digitally drawn & inked animation looks. DBZ isn't supposed to look "modern." It came out in the late 80s & early-mid 90s, was hand drawn, & saved on film. It's supposed to look older because of that. Anyone who doesn't grasp that concept & are serious like you say they are shouldn't be listened to when discussing the remasters.
Not so much with Kai (aside from blurriness), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a casual fan would prefer the 30th anniversary set over the Level sets. The casual fan doesn't know any the background and fake grain and color correction. I would imagine that to the casual fan, they'd see a clean, sharp image and say it looks great compared to the Level sets' darker, older-looking quality.

The release itself isn't bad for casual audiences. It's bad for the fact that it wasn't marketed to casual audiences--this was marketed to fans who knew where to find this marketing and who were willing to pay them ahead of time to do it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:33 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:58 am [ but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a casual fan would prefer the 30th anniversary set over the Level sets.
The 30th anniversary set was also, y'know, complete and thus isn't entirely worthless.