What happened to Oob?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am

Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 am
ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am Three episodes is more than enough to leave an impression. The impression I'm left with is he's boring but nice and served his purpose. I feel no desire to see more from that character.
Oh god. DBZ Episode 289's last 5 min was Oob's 1st on-screen appearance. End of episode

DBZ Episode 290 was Goku settin-up his match based on his intuition, Pan's 1st TB match followed-up by Goku taunting Oob to ease his anxiety. Oob enraged, end of episode

DBZ Ep 291. All-out Goku vs Oob. Its essentially 1 episode where viewers/TB audienced/Z fighters are allowed to witnessed a village bumpkin child going toe-to-toe against trained & by far greatest martial artist in history. Goku cuts the match & flies away to train Oob.

Whats your arguement
That's a fair enough amount of time to get an accurate impression of the character. I also don't like the idea of passing over several other characters to make him a lead, co or otherwise, this late in the game. He's a utility character, that's it. Uub does do something. He shows that he has a lot of raw latent power. There's potential to do something with him, but not make him the (co-)lead. And what do you mean by "do something"? That's remarkably vague.

Now my question to you is why would you want the story to focus on him?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 am

ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am
Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 am
ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am Three episodes is more than enough to leave an impression. The impression I'm left with is he's boring but nice and served his purpose. I feel no desire to see more from that character.
Oh god. DBZ Episode 289's last 5 min was Oob's 1st on-screen appearance. End of episode

DBZ Episode 290 was Goku settin-up his match based on his intuition, Pan's 1st TB match followed-up by Goku taunting Oob to ease his anxiety. Oob enraged, end of episode

DBZ Ep 291. All-out Goku vs Oob. Its essentially 1 episode where viewers/TB audienced/Z fighters are allowed to witnessed a village bumpkin child going toe-to-toe against trained & by far greatest martial artist in history. Goku cuts the match & flies away to train Oob.

Whats your arguement
That's a fair enough amount of time to get an accurate impression of the character. I also don't like the idea of passing over several other characters to make him a lead, co or otherwise, this late in the game. He's a utility character, that's it. Uub does do something. He shows that he has a lot of raw latent power. There's potential to do something with him, but not make him the (co-)lead. And what do you mean by "do something"? That's remarkably vague.

Now my question to you is why would you want the story to focus on him?
Dude....you were the one who's been saying "do something" "show something" stuff

All I did was providing evidences as to why Oob's limited screen time doesnt allow his character to be fleshed-out. Besides, when did I say story should focus on him? :P :P :P

I'm not the one who drew the manga back in 1995...or the one who conceived the idea of Goku flyin off with some random kid he just met..

All along I've been sayin Oob could very-well fit as next-gen Z fighters along side Pan with Goku at their anchor whenever a new threat or adventure is ahead.

As it progresses, Oob's personality & characterizations can be fleshed-out & maybe that'll convince you as to why Goku's decision of selecting him as prodigy was the right move, especially considerin his elder son became major...scholar...2nd one was interested in dating more than training or battle :P :P :P

Goku chose the right guy imo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am

Besides, when did I say story should focus on him?
Then what do you think the point I'm trying to make is? I never said he couldn't be a fighter along side Pan.
As it progresses, Oob's personality & characterizations can be fleshed-out & maybe that'll convince you as to why Goku's decision of selecting him as prodigy was the right move, especially considerin his elder son became major...scholar...2nd one was interested in dating more than training or battle
Goku didn't select him because he was a prodigy. He was the one that asked for Buu to be resurrected. He wanted to fight him again, but without the worry of annihilation. Uub is about the end of Goku's journey. He has more hills to climb. If the story progresses, I can see him being a utility player, but nothing more.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am
Besides, when did I say story should focus on him?
Then what do you think the point I'm trying to make is? I never said he couldn't be a fighter along side Pan.
As it progresses, Oob's personality & characterizations can be fleshed-out & maybe that'll convince you as to why Goku's decision of selecting him as prodigy was the right move, especially considerin his elder son became major...scholar...2nd one was interested in dating more than training or battle
Goku didn't select him because he was a prodigy. He was the one that asked for Buu to be resurrected. He wanted to fight him again, but without the worry of annihilation. Uub is about the end of Goku's journey. He has more hills to climb. If the story progresses, I can see him being a utility player, but nothing more.
Mike...as I said. View things as it is. Do not thrust ur strong views & expect things to be such way

Goku has fought multiple being across cosmos...from Saber Tiger @ Mt Paozu to ancient predatory demon as Boo.

And tbh, Kid Boo was....one of a kind villain. One does not simply outlast SSJ3, SSJ2, Good Boo & vastly powered Super Genki Dama in a 1 on 1 all-out battle.

His abilities were simply....too great. Goku always views the positives even in deadliest baddies & Kid Boo is actually....a kid by heart. Only evil by soul

Hence Goku made a wish. Looking at the potential such an ally could been reincarnated as good soul. And I have to disagree. It wasnt end of Goku's journey

Hell. Narrator @ EoZ literally says Goku is now off to a new journey.

Perhaps his cycle may have been completed. From student to a teacher. But the end....nah...mada mada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Resurrecting Buu wasn't about having an ally, it was about having someone strong to fight. You're being too literal. It was the end of Goku's journey as that was supposed to be the end of Dragon Ball. Uub wasn't so much a character as a thematic device.
Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm Mike...as I said. View things as it is. Do not thrust ur strong views & expect things to be such way
What? My name isn't Mike.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm Resurrecting Buu wasn't about having an ally, it was about having someone strong to fight. You're being too literal. It was the end of Goku's journey as that was supposed to be the end of Dragon Ball. Uub wasn't so much a character as a thematic device.
Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm Mike...as I said. View things as it is. Do not thrust ur strong views & expect things to be such way
What? My name isn't Mike.
Dude😂😂😂you crack me up
DB is literal. Simple tale told in straight forward manner
It should be viewed as it is
Oob served as Goku's completing his circle. Just like Veggie had. Or Gohan had. Or Mista Satan had
Oob being reincarnated Kid Boo opens-up whole can of new possibilities, abilities further pushing Z's next-gen fighters notion
As I've said countless times, Oob could very well be teaming with rest of Z fighters with Goku as the anchoring force

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm Dudeyou crack me up
It's hardly a deep metaphor. It's also very literal. It was LITERALLY the end of the story. Toriyama didn't know he would resurrect the story two decades later. Next time you condescendingly laugh at someone, you may want to understand their point instead of going off half cocked.

You COMPLETELY miss the entire point of Goku's character. His journey isn't one of student to master. His character is at his core about always overcoming limits. Uub represented there being more hills to climb.

Uub wasn't about opening up possibilities for the story, which is ridiculous because he doesn't, he's actually the opposite. He about giving the story closure.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:34 am

ABED wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 pm
Vijay wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 pm Dudeyou crack me up
It's hardly a deep metaphor. It's also very literal. It was LITERALLY the end of the story. Toriyama didn't know he would resurrect the story two decades later. Next time you condescendingly laugh at someone, you may want to understand their point instead of going off half cocked.

You COMPLETELY miss the entire point of Goku's character. His journey isn't one of student to master. His character is at his core about always overcoming limits. Uub represented there being more hills to climb.

Uub wasn't about opening up possibilities for the story, which is ridiculous because he doesn't, he's actually the opposite. He about giving the story closure.
I did not laugh condescendingly. Dats the way how we communicate with homies here in my place using mike, bro, dude etc

Toriyama knew there's GT plans even as he was writing the manga. Giru, SSJ4 designs....gosh...look how far this topic has drifted

Look. Its up to you to accept or not. I liked inclusion of dark-skinned boy into Z team...especially when he's reincarnation of most badass & coolest baddie Z has ever had...the possibilities of him reaching, hell even surpassing Goku...which in turn would further drive Goku to reach insane levels of power is nothin short of ecstasy

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:48 am

He knew GT was coming but he never wrote his story with any thought of what the anime was doing, hence why there are many, many contradiction between filler material and the manga. His ending for the manga was THE END. Doing design work means nothing. The topic has drifted because you keep missing the point of the character. Uub is meant to bring thematic closure for Goku, hence why he comes in at the very last moment.

I've never once been against him joining the "team". Given where Super has gone, his being a reincarnation of Buu means so little now.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:51 am

ABED wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:48 am Given where Super has gone, his being a reincarnation of Buu means so little now.
...why does it matter where Super did or didn't go?

Oob is a prop that serves to give Goku closure, yes, but he also is extremely green.

Goku expected someone great from the get go and got disappointed precisely because him being the reincarnation of Boo meant nothing in the end. It is the genuine eagerness to improve that he saw in Oob that was lacking in his own children. The Kanzenban ending making it even more obvious with the extra panels drawn with Goku seeing himself in a young Oob flying in the Kinto'un.

By design, anything that Super or anything set before the epilogue does that is not in the original run of the manga only serves to give more experience under Goku's belt for when he finally takes on Oob. It's going past the would rise the issue that Oob is a non-character and keeping the story going past it would inevitably force Toriyama to tackle him in some way.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:51 am
ABED wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:48 am Given where Super has gone, his being a reincarnation of Buu means so little now.

Oob is a prop that serves to give Goku closure, yes, but he also is extremely green.

Goku expected someone great from the get go and got disappointed precisely because him being the reincarnation of Boo meant nothing in the end. It is the genuine eagerness to improve that he saw in Oob that was lacking in his own children. The Kanzenban ending making it even more obvious with the extra panels drawn with Goku seeing himself in a young Oob flying in the Kinto'un.

By design, anything that Super or anything set before the epilogue does that is not in the original run of the manga only serves to give more experience under Goku's belt for when he finally takes on Oob. It's going past the would rise the issue that Oob is a non-character and keeping the story going past it would inevitably force Toriyama to tackle him in some way.
The entire point of the ending is there are more mountains to climb. Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being Goku had ever faced, and yet, once Super roles around, we see that's just not true anymore. Not only does he face someone far stronger, Goku also surpasses Buu very easily. The original ending lacks any resonance now.

Uub is green. He has the power, but not the control. That's why he's training him. However, it doesn't matter because that raw power is something that Goku has long since surpassed. He sees Uub's latent talent, that's it. Goten and Trunks also had enthusiasm to improve at that age. He ain't seeing himself in Uub. You're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If eagerness to improve was the criterion, he would see that in Pan.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am
KuririnNoKotoKa wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:51 am

The entire point of the ending is there are more mountains to climb. Uub is the reincarnation of the strongest being Goku had ever faced, and yet, once Super roles around, we see that's just not true anymore. Not only does he face someone far stronger, Goku also surpasses Buu very easily. The original ending lacks any resonance now.

Uub is green. He has the power, but not the control. That's why he's training him. However, it doesn't matter because that raw power is something that Goku has long since surpassed. He sees Uub's latent talent, that's it. Goten and Trunks also had enthusiasm to improve at that age. He ain't seeing himself in Uub. You're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If eagerness to improve was the criterion, he would see that in Pan.
The entire point of the ending is that there aren't mountains to climb, Goku is making his own now. The idea that there is still more to chase after Boo came with Beerus and the Battle of Gods movie, years before Super, as a serial, was ever conceived and you are the one trying to fit it into the original ending.

Oob's power wasn't factor. Beyond just being green, the story already highlighted that Goku had the power to deal with Pure Boo from the get go. He had Gohan with him all those years, the same Gohan who despite being effectively retired from fighting after the Cell Games, quickly picked the pace back up (even if not at 100%) just to fight his dad again, yet Goku still chooses to not bother his son with his addiction.

Eagerness to fight is all there is to it. He tried it with Gohan and Goten during serialization, both grew to not care about dedicating their lives to fighting. Why would he gamble with Pan again? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Goku is an idiot who would make the same mistake three times over. Maybe she would've had it in her to satisfy and keep up with him but tough luck, the next generation already burned off that avenue for him.

There is no baggage with Oob, there are no people trying to steer what he wants to be, Goku has free reign with this kid. Just look at Gohan: Ours had the eagerness to improve in him for a bit during the Cell arc, with Goku's guidance (which is also set before nearly a decade spent with heavenly masters) and he became one of the strongest in the universe from a couple months of basic training alone. His future self however? We all know how it went. Just imagine what Goku would be able to do with someone like Oob, who has that genuine drive to improve that Goku himself had?

Besides, Toriyama laid it even thicker with his redone Kanzenban ending. You can't possibly see this:
And say that the only thing Goku looked for was Oob's power. Whether you want to account for it or not, that's on you, but the ending was redone in 2004, far before even the faintest idea of reviving the story passed by anyone's head.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 am

Oob's power wasn't factor.
Bullshit. This alone proves you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The ENTIRE reason, not just part, but the head, the tail, the whole damn thing, behind him asking for Buu's resurrection is because Buu is the single most powerful being he'd ever faced.
Why would he gamble with Pan again? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Goku is an idiot who would make the same mistake three times over.
She's three! He was only recently in Goten's life, so he didn't have much influence on him. He was in Pan's life from the beginning. And how well could he know Uub? He' just met him. He doesn't have free reign either. Uub also has a family he has to take care of. He has priorities beyond fighting.
Just imagine what Goku would be able to do with someone like Oob, who has that genuine drive to improve that Goku himself had?
We've literally just met him. We know so little about his actual personality and how much he loves fighting. Uub's enthusiasm does Goku no good if he doesn't have raw talent. That enthusiasm seems less about actual fighting than you make it out to be and more him imitating his new friend.
Goku is making his own now.
Semantics. Whether they are of his own making or not, Goku is all about overcoming limits. If he has to make them, so be it.
you are the one trying to fit it into the original ending.
No, no I'm not. I don't know where you got that from what I wrote. I'm saying that Super renders the original ending and Uub meaningless.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Super kinda renders uub and end of z pointless.