Episode #0474 (14 July 2019)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0474 (14 July 2019)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Episode #0474 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (Spotify version) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
50:20; 96 kbps, mono; 34.5 MB

Episode #0474! Mike and Meri time travel twenty years into the past to relive "Captain Ginyu - Assault" on home video. "Season Three" officially begins with a new voice cast and new musical score, but how does this fit into the larger Dragon Ball fandom at the time? Tune in as our collective trauma resurfaces, nostalgia is thrown out the window, and Mike reads his own editorial from half a lifetime ago.

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 01:05 – Topic
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bullboski

Re: Episode #0474 (14 July 2019)

Post by Bullboski » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Listening now. This takes me back to high school. Y'all talking about the old school websites makes me miss coming home everyday and going to them (VegettoEX, Temple O Trunks, Planet Namek, Ginga Giri Giri, DBZ Uncensored).

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Bullboski wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:53 pm Listening now. This takes me back to high school. Y'all talking about the old school websites makes me miss coming home everyday and going to them (VegettoEX, Temple O Trunks, Planet Namek, Ginga Giri Giri, DBZ Uncensored).
Countless hours were spent just browsing Planet Namek and DBZ Uncensored, the latter of which I still read from time to time for some nostalgic entertainment.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Today's upload was a great surprise

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Oh boy, to think it's been 20 years already since those two dub only tapes of the Ginyu episodes came out (the bilingual DVD equivalents didn't release until just about a year later in June 2000) i was but five years old at the time it was all happening. It wasn't until a little after even then that i'd started watching the show when it was originally running on Toonami either late into the Androids arc or the start of Cell's introduction. Very interesting and appropriate topic considering the 20th anniversary of the TV debut for said episodes contained on them is just about two months from now. The part where Mike and Meri discussed the editorial was very interesting to listen to, hearing his thoughts from 20 years ago from the old version of this website (before it was even Daizenshuu EX) on those developments as of that point in time.

Wow, i can't believe it's been that long. Mind blown!!!!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:12 am

This was a great episode! As is probably known in this circle by now, I didn't enter Dragon Ball in earnest until the 2001 dub (I'm a defender of Nadolny's Goku, but that Kid Gohan was hot Namekian trash!) and didn't enter the community until I joined this forum. So it was very interesting to get a capsule into what Dragon Ball fandom was like back then and how it compared to Funimation's "Ministry of Truth" version that they so joyfully put on their DVDs.

It was also great to have Meri on the show again! It feels like it's become a rarity this side of the decade.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Definitely a blast from the past! I remember these times, including reading Mike's editorials back in the day. Funny how Meri commented a couple times that she was surprised how astute your observations were even at that age.

The end speculation about how a lot of the older fans were driven away by the drama, and wondering if they would've stuck around is thought-provoking, too. Would any of us ended up in our current positions in the fandom if the previous generation had continued on? Or would they have moved on for other reasons and still required the (relatively) younger generation to step up and become the authoritative voice that Kanzenshuu is today?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 am

It's interesting that this episode relates to essentially going back in time, because this whole episode felt like an early era Daizenshuu EX podcast (with better audio equipment).

I absolutely loved it! The selfish side of me really wishes this kind of content could be so regular again, but I understand things change and you guys can't have such a rigorous schedule for the podcast any more (you did it for so long we were pretty much spoiled).
But you've still got it guys, keep on keeping on!

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:27 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm Episode #0474 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes) (Spotify version) (YouTube version) (SoundCloud version)
50:20; 96 kbps, mono; 34.5 MB

Episode #0474! Mike and Meri time travel twenty years into the past to relive "Captain Ginyu - Assault" on home video. "Season Three" officially begins with a new voice cast and new musical score, but how does this fit into the larger Dragon Ball fandom at the time? Tune in as our collective trauma resurfaces, nostalgia is thrown out the window, and Mike reads his own editorial from half a lifetime ago.

SEGMENTS:
  • 00:13 – Introduction
  • 01:05 – Topic
Omg. I've was SO waiting for the podcast to resume. Thanks!

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:03 am

Great episode - I have some real distinct memories of these releases.It was the summer before high school, I had never seen the Japanese version of DBZ. I only knew about the original version through some websites I read on the Internet -which I didn't have...I had to rely on the neighbor kid's computer. I remember seeing the gallery of blood and guts and (fansub) swearing on Greg Werner's old site and became furious that I was missing out. I downloaded .wav files and extremely low quality video clips just trying to get a taste of the original, uncensored show.

When it was announced that Funimation was bringing back DBZ and uncensored, I foolishly assumed that they would take this opportunity to "correct" the dub. There would be no visual censorship, the music would be the original version, the voices I didn't like would be recast, and the dialogue would be more adult. Said neighbor kid was a big anime nut and told me that he was going to get the tapes at Suncoast when his mom took him to the mall. I remember sitting around all afternoon, playing some awful N64 game I had rented, looking out the window every 5 minutes to see if my friend had returned.

Right after dinner, I got the call from him. I ran over and he put in the Ginyu: Assault tape. I thought it was strange they reused Rock The Dragon but I didn't think much of it. I remember one of the first images seen in the episode if Vegeta's face caked in blood - we let out a cheer. Then the characters started talking. When we heard Kuririn's voice we all let out an audible groan. The voices were bad imitations, the dialogue was silly and childish despite being uncut and the replacement music sounded like a Casio keyboard. Mike's comments about the music sounding hollow are dead on. I sorta like the weird new-agey Ginyu Force theme but it's not really representative of Dragon Ball. It just sounds so *cheap* to me. Everything about the production feels super cheap. It speaks to how appealing DB is that the show was such a success in the US despite the treatment was given.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am

I was not into Dragon Ball enough to be curious about the home video market at the time, just savvy enough to know I was watching a punched-up English dub and obviously the cast switch, but I was almost waiting for Mike to say "We have this thing, we are capable of giving it to you, but we won't." The more they change, they stay the same. I love the contemporary reactions regardless, because it made far too much sense. If the licensee is that far removed from the source material and yet becomes successful, seemingly at least as much by what of the series "was left" as their audience-geared creative choices, why would they change? Now of course we know why, but it took quite a while after the fact for that picture to form.

Is there a page about how their bi-lingual releases came about? I saw a link to your original announcement that Steve responded to not long ago.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm Episode #0474! Mike and Meri time travel twenty years into the past to relive "Captain Ginyu - Assault" on home video. "Season Three" officially begins with a new voice cast and new musical score, but how does this fit into the larger Dragon Ball fandom at the time? Tune in as our collective trauma resurfaces, nostalgia is thrown out the window, and Mike reads his own editorial from half a lifetime ago.
Whew. That was fun to to listen to. I even purchased a used VCR last week so I could pop in my recorded-off-of-Toonami tapes and see season 3 again for the first time in... quite a while.

Here's something I realize I never knew. Maybe someone here does. So starting with season 3, they were putting out versions of the tapes touted to be "uncut." However, the first five episodes, at least on the TV airings, were still making cuts for time in order to get the Japanese and English episodes synced up with each other (as season 2 ended in the middle of Japanese episode 67). That being the case, how did the "uncut" tapes handle that? Did they contain extra long episodes? Or were they not truly uncut? I know in the eventual DVD release of Ginyu Assault the two versions had to be on separate video tracks because they were so out of sync with each other...